Last-Minute Waitlist Call

Share Your Experiences, Read About Other Experiences. Please keep posts organized by school and expected year of graduation.
trialjunky

Last-Minute Waitlist Call

Postby trialjunky » Mon Apr 19, 2010 10:11 am

So, I'm hoping/dreading that I get off the waitlist/pending I'm on. Is anyone scared to put a deposit down on an apartment in fear/hope that you get into one of your waitlist?

How long will you wait before you withdraw from the waitlist?

What say you!

Slimpee

Re: Last-Minute Waitlist Call

Postby Slimpee » Mon Apr 19, 2010 10:15 am

I'm in the same boat. I fear i'm going to sit on my top choice until August, not get in, and then not have a place to live at another school...

trialjunky

Postby trialjunky » Mon Apr 19, 2010 11:41 am

Slimpee wrote:I'm in the same boat. I fear i'm going to sit on my top choice until August, not get in, and then not have a place to live at another school...

Exactly how I feel. I was talking to a 1L @ FSU who stated that you just need to make a personal deadline. Make a date you're willing to go up to before withdrawing. I just can't figure it out though

ram jam

Postby ram jam » Mon Apr 19, 2010 1:21 pm

Going to FSU in the fall, waitlisted at UF. I'm putting down a deposit in Tally in a few weeks. If I get the call from UF... I'm not so sure I would accept their offer. I prefer to live in Tally. deposits are only $200-$300... consider it a sunk cost. Odds are that we will not get off the waitlist.

jks289

Postby jks289 » Mon Apr 19, 2010 1:25 pm

I am waitlisted ALL over. I think by the beginning of August I will be ok putting a deposit down on an apartment. But there are a few schools out there (they know who they are :oops: ) that if I get the call the day before class and end up paying double rent for 6 months I would still go. It is such a stressful thing though, not knowing.

JOThompson

Postby JOThompson » Mon Apr 19, 2010 1:26 pm

I'm unlikely to get off the waitlist at Vandy (especially improbable until late summer), so I decided to deposit at Iowa. I also secured an apartment because I didn't want to delay and end up with a crummy location. If Vanderbilt selects me even after Iowa classes begin, I'm perfectly happy to lose my seat and rent deposits in order to relocate to Nashville.

trialjunky

Postby trialjunky » Mon Apr 19, 2010 1:41 pm

jks289 wrote:I am waitlisted ALL over. I think by the beginning of August I will be ok putting a deposit down on an apartment. But there are a few schools out there (they know who they are :oops: ) that if I get the call the day before class and end up paying double rent for 6 months I would still go. It is such a stressful thing though, not knowing.

Ugh, I was thinking that but the school I currenty have my deposit down with is UMiami. Paying double rent is going to be a slayer!!!

erniesto

Postby erniesto » Mon Apr 19, 2010 1:48 pm

If you have a legitimate lease, paying double rent should not be necessary.

jks289

Postby jks289 » Mon Apr 19, 2010 1:53 pm

erniesto wrote:If you have a legitimate lease, paying double rent should not be necessary.

I figure you can always find a subletter, but if not, aren't your responsible for the term of the lease if the landlord can't find someone to rent it to? I don't really know anything about how this works.

neimanmarxist

Postby neimanmarxist » Mon Apr 19, 2010 2:15 pm

what if you sign up for the school's student housing, then get off the waitlist at a school you want more? Can you break a lease with a school ? Does anyone know? And how late can you change your mind and go to the school you are waitlisted at? It would be so great to hear from someone who did, at one point, get of a waitlist at the 11th hour and drop everything to go.

Gatriel

Postby Gatriel » Mon Apr 19, 2010 2:17 pm

Why not put a deposit on an apt at a good backup school, and then continue to wait on your WLs.

I'm not expecting to hear anything until mid July.

trialjunky

Postby trialjunky » Mon Apr 19, 2010 2:29 pm

Most places require you to put a non-refunable or a partially refundable down payment. In Miami, the places I've been looking at want as much as a month's rent for a down payment. I just dont have that kind of cash right now to sink. :(

Gatriel

Postby Gatriel » Mon Apr 19, 2010 2:36 pm

I don't know what to say. I do know for a fact, that if you wait till the last minute to find a place at a larger school (I assume your talking UM), expect to spend a small fortune, or live in a shithole.

This is the advice I've been given for a while now.

darknightbegins

Postby darknightbegins » Tue Apr 20, 2010 4:56 am

I'll wait until mid July. Some where between the 15-25th. If by then I hear nothing then I am withdrawing from the school and going somewhere else.

voice of reason

Postby voice of reason » Tue Apr 20, 2010 5:17 am

jks289 wrote:
erniesto wrote:If you have a legitimate lease, paying double rent should not be necessary.

I figure you can always find a subletter, but if not, aren't your responsible for the term of the lease if the landlord can't find someone to rent it to? I don't really know anything about how this works.

Yes, but the landlord has to make an honest effort to rent the place. At least, that's true where I'm a landlord. I've had people break a lease and they ended up paying me for about 2 weeks before I got new tenants. I suppose in some areas the rental market is slow and it could take a while.

trialjunky

Postby trialjunky » Tue Apr 20, 2010 6:38 am

Apartments shaft you though. They will rent out every other 1 bedroom (or whatever size you have) first and then rent out your bedroom stating that they have to go in priority order. Well, they do that at least in Florida

Slimpee

Postby Slimpee » Tue Apr 20, 2010 9:29 am

JOThompson wrote:I'm unlikely to get off the waitlist at Vandy (especially improbable until late summer), so I decided to deposit at Iowa. I also secured an apartment because I didn't want to delay and end up with a crummy location. If Vanderbilt selects me even after Iowa classes begin, I'm perfectly happy to lose my seat and rent deposits in order to relocate to Nashville.

If you get Vandy and I don't get MN i'll totes take that apt. in Iowa City!

JOThompson

Postby JOThompson » Tue Apr 20, 2010 9:56 am

Slimpee wrote:
JOThompson wrote:I'm unlikely to get off the waitlist at Vandy (especially improbable until late summer), so I decided to deposit at Iowa. I also secured an apartment because I didn't want to delay and end up with a crummy location. If Vanderbilt selects me even after Iowa classes begin, I'm perfectly happy to lose my seat and rent deposits in order to relocate to Nashville.

If you get Vandy and I don't get MN i'll totes take that apt. in Iowa City!

Okay! It's Seville, third floor. Good luck with MN, I expect they'll be pulling some people from the WL soon :)

trialjunky

Postby trialjunky » Wed Apr 21, 2010 7:20 am

I've decided my withdraw day is July 30th. The day I am officially moving to Miami. After move day, it would be just too much.

robin600

Postby robin600 » Wed Apr 21, 2010 1:43 pm

trialjunky wrote:So, I'm hoping/dreading that I get off the waitlist/pending I'm on. Is anyone scared to put a deposit down on an apartment in fear/hope that you get into one of your waitlist?

How long will you wait before you withdraw from the waitlist?

What say you!

im subleasing if it happens. there are going to be people coming in off the wait list from the school you are withdrawing from, and they will be in the same situation as you are in.

Z3RO

Postby Z3RO » Wed Apr 21, 2010 1:52 pm

If I don't get in by the end of the month, I'm pulling the plug. I realize that I'm dropping off of several wait lists at good schools, but I've gotta take control of my life.

trademark

Postby trademark » Wed Apr 21, 2010 2:07 pm

Z3RO wrote:If I don't get in by the end of the month, I'm pulling the plug. I realize that I'm dropping off of several wait lists at good schools, but I've gotta take control of my life.

+10000000

Feel the same way. I just need to take control and be done

pertristis

Postby pertristis » Wed Apr 21, 2010 2:15 pm

I'm fully expecting to be on three waitlists that I would kill to be off of. I'll wait them out until the bitter end.

No1ustad

Postby No1ustad » Wed Apr 21, 2010 2:26 pm

you kno.... if u wait longer than everyone else, u have a higher chance of getting in too, which is a pretty crappy variable to deal with.. id make a deposit and if i have to let it go, consider it part of my overall costs of attendance of my top choice...

not to mention the fact that youll never know if u couldve gotten in... that alone would be worth the deposit amount for me.

mardimar

Postby mardimar » Wed Apr 21, 2010 2:35 pm

Last edited by mardimar on Fri Aug 19, 2011 10:03 am, edited 1 time in total.

Return to “Law School Acceptances, Denials, and Waitlists”