Should I settle or reapply Forum

Share Your Experiences, Read About Other Experiences. Please keep posts organized by school and expected year of graduation.

Help! Should I go to one of these or wait and apply next year?

Continue working as a teacher and reapply next year
11%
Wustl for 25,000 a year no stipulations
78%
Univ. Of Cincinnati 15,000 in state/ full with my americorp grant
10%
Loyola New Orleans full ride if funds are there 80% if not
1%

Total votes: 73

MrKappus

Gold

Re: Should I settle or reapply

Post by MrKappus » Sun Apr 18, 2010 11:28 pm

lobeca wrote:I don't particularly care for teaching. In many districts you are really advocating for the school districts piggy bank not any kids. Plus when you say advocate the schools jumps when you say jump because they never win.

Not concerned about how I would preform at wustl. I'm slightly offended that you think I would be less than successful there. I'm phi beta kappa had a 4.0 in my major and a 3.96 in grad school while working full time. I think my score reflects studying for the test while being in the teaching program from haedes, grad school, a stessful work environment and being cheated on two days before the test. But maybe, all that will happen while in law school. Who knows? Do you know of others that have been accepted below the mean that have bombed 1L due to thier low LSAT score. Thank you for your concern. I appreciate your advice everyone. This is not sarcasm I really want to know if people are really underpreforming because they were accepted below the median.

Also urm + debt= renting until it gets paid off. Jk kinda...
You are clearly a high performer...and it is possible you will do well at WUSTL. I do not think that you will be at the top of your class, but that is b/c WUSTL lets in a full 25% of their class w/ LSATs that are very, very different than yours, and those people are (whether you, I, or anyone else like it or not) very likely to do well in law school.

I will say (as a 1L) that law school requires a particular brand/method of thinking/analysis, which the LSAT is designed to assess. There is a reason that schools require us to take it, and if you went over the test-taking limit in 2 years, and still only managed a 153, that might suggest that you're very successful in other areas of cognitive ability, but have less aptitude in the areas that good lawyering (and law-schooling) requires.

I am not saying high LSATs equal success in law school, and WUSTL let you in, so they see something in you (clearly)...but success in law school comes naturally to very few, comes w/ very hard work to a few others, and most of those ppl have LSATs that are close to their schools' IQR's. In your case, it's extremely likely you'll have the lowest LSAT in your WUSTL class, so just bear in mind that if you want your degree to travel (for PI, biglaw, or anything else) outside the midwest (which was not listed on your preferred destinations in your first post), you will have do decently at WUSTL. Best of luck.

newyorker88

Silver

Post by newyorker88 » Sun Apr 18, 2010 11:35 pm

rockstar4488 wrote:There's statistics that correlate LSAT scores to 1L success.
any studies about URMs that get in below medians?

MrKappus

Gold

Post by MrKappus » Sun Apr 18, 2010 11:39 pm

newyorker88 wrote:
http://www.google.com

misspippers

New

Post by misspippers » Sun Apr 18, 2010 11:43 pm

Luis Gomez wrote:
lobeca wrote:Oh yea, overapplying was bad because I ended up with to many offers to handle. I only got 8 rejects so far out of the 53. I was waitlisted at about half and accepted at the other. I also shouldn't have referred to wustl as settling. It is not. It is a blessing with that amount of secure scholarship.
The hell it is.

You got a similar scholarship to WUSTL to what I got, and I had much higher numbers. Even with the URM status, you should be THRILLED. I totally understand drama happening around LSAT time, but I think you've been thrown a bone that you can't risk throwing away. Go to WUSTL!

PlugInBaby

Bronze

Post by PlugInBaby » Sun Apr 18, 2010 11:48 pm

The reason why you apply like crazy is to take so many shots that it its impossible not to hit the proverbial bullseye. You my friend nailed the bullseye. Go to WUSTL and don't look back. Enjoy the toasted ravioli!

Want to continue reading?

Register now to search topics and post comments!

Absolutely FREE!

romothesavior

Diamond

Post by romothesavior » Sun Apr 18, 2010 11:49 pm

lobeca wrote:I don't particularly care for teaching. In many districts you are really advocating for the school districts piggy bank not any kids. Plus when you say advocate the schools jumps when you say jump because they never win.

Not concerned about how I would preform at wustl. I'm slightly offended that you think I would be less than successful there. I'm phi beta kappa had a 4.0 in my major and a 3.96 in grad school while working full time. I think my score reflects studying for the test while being in the teaching program from haedes, grad school, a stessful work environment and being cheated on two days before the test. But maybe, all that will happen while in law school. Who knows? Do you know of others that have been accepted below the mean that have bombed 1L due to thier low LSAT score. Thank you for your concern. I appreciate your advice everyone. This is not sarcasm I really want to know if people are really underpreforming because they were accepted below the median.

In no way am I saying you are an underachiever or anything like that. It seems like you have a great work ethic, as evidenced by your GPA and all the things you just mentioned.

Still, your LSAT score is around the 55-60th percentile after three tries. Most people at WUSTL probably scored in the 160s on their diagnostic. You're at about the 60th percentile, and more than half the people at Wash U will have scored in the 95th percentile or higher. Can hard work and dedication get you to median? Maybe. Could you possibly crack the top third of your class? Unlikely, but possible. What we're all telling you is that it is an uphill climb.

You ask if there are people who got accepted below median who bombed their 1L exams, and I'm sure it happens. There are also probably a lot of people below median who finished near the top of the class. Nobody is saying 2-3 LSAT points below median is something to freak out about. But this isn't a case of 2-3 points, its a 15 point difference. I told you this in another thread, but look at the LSN graph for WUSTL and you'll notice that you are (according to LSN) the lowest LSAT score accepted there. You're going to have to bust your ass. Based on what people have said in here, you have nothing to be offended by. I certainly wish you the best of luck, but you're denying reality if you aren't worried about where you'll finish.

lobeca

New

Post by lobeca » Sun Apr 18, 2010 11:56 pm

The hell what is?
Wustl with 25,000 is a blessing or overapplying was not a good choice for me?

Thanks for replying.
Anyone know how lrap at wustl compares to other schools.

lobeca

New

Post by lobeca » Mon Apr 19, 2010 12:09 am

Romo, I'm sure that you are offering good advice in letting me know that it would be an uphill climb. I think law school is an uphill climb for everyone. If I wanted life to be easy I a) wouldn't have applied this year and b) would not have decided to be a lawyer. Stats say a lot of stuff like I should either have a baby, have aids, breast cancer, been sexually assulted, been a victim of abuse or not finished college. But none of that has happened. I'm going for a hat trick kid. Please don't stomp on my hopes. I'm mighty realistic but I also have a lot of people counting on me. If you came in my classroom you would see but again I do appreciate your advice. If you end up going to wustl, I hope we both end up better than top 20/30.

hiromoto45

Silver

Post by hiromoto45 » Mon Apr 19, 2010 12:46 am

romothesavior wrote:

In no way am I saying you are an underachiever or anything like that. It seems like you have a great work ethic, as evidenced by your GPA and all the things you just mentioned.

Still, your LSAT score is around the 55-60th percentile after three tries. Most people at WUSTL probably scored in the 160s on their diagnostic. You're at about the 60th percentile, and more than half the people at Wash U will have scored in the 95th percentile or higher. Can hard work and dedication get you to median? Maybe. Could you possibly crack the top third of your class? Unlikely, but possible. What we're all telling you is that it is an uphill climb.

You ask if there are people who got accepted below median who bombed their 1L exams, and I'm sure it happens. There are also probably a lot of people below median who finished near the top of the class. Nobody is saying 2-3 LSAT points below median is something to freak out about. But this isn't a case of 2-3 points, its a 15 point difference. I told you this in another thread, but look at the LSN graph for WUSTL and you'll notice that you are (according to LSN) the lowest LSAT score accepted there. You're going to have to bust your ass. Based on what people have said in here, you have nothing to be offended by. I certainly wish you the best of luck, but you're denying reality if you aren't worried about where you'll finish.
This from, "I'm a supporter of AA" Giving one to most classic arguments against it.

Want to continue reading?

Register for access!

Did I mention it was FREE ?

romothesavior

Diamond

Post by romothesavior » Mon Apr 19, 2010 12:52 am

hiromoto45 wrote:
romothesavior wrote:

This from, "I'm a supporter of AA" Giving one to most classic arguments against it.
Someone is doing his homework :D

But seriously, this is not an argument against AA. Black students struggle on the LSAT, and (from what I've seen) they struggle in law school too (not all of them obviously, but relative to their peers overall, this is true). This does not mean they will struggle in legal practice. Firms want racial diversity, and thus, the law schools provide it by using URM boosts in law school admissions. Firms also are willing to dip lower than they would for non-black students in hiring. Just because a black student struggled on the LSAT and struggled in LS (again, relative to their peers) does not mean that they will have bleak career prospects.
Last edited by romothesavior on Mon Apr 19, 2010 1:06 am, edited 1 time in total.

newyorker88

Silver

Post by newyorker88 » Mon Apr 19, 2010 1:01 am

MrKappus wrote:
newyorker88 wrote:
http://www.google.com
Already checked google that's why I asked if he knew of any. People make such dumb asumptions on this board.

JOThompson

Silver

Post by JOThompson » Mon Apr 19, 2010 1:05 am

I would take WUSTL, that's a great offer considering your stats. Adcomms will probably be skeptical of a fourth LSAT score, even if you end up earning a few more points. One adcomm put it this way to me--if you throw enough darts at the board, eventually you'll hit the bullseye. I don't believe the opportunity cost of waiting another couple years will be remotely worth the possibility of a slightly stronger cycle next time.

lobeca

New

Post by lobeca » Mon Apr 19, 2010 1:33 am

Yea I guess I did. I hit a lot of them too. Night everyone. :P

Register now!

Resources to assist law school applicants, students & graduates.

It's still FREE!

lobeca

New

Post by lobeca » Mon Apr 19, 2010 4:51 am

newyorker88 wrote:
this is not exactly what you asked for but it is interesting.
http://www.law.harvard.edu/faculty/guin ... mative.pdf

rockstar4488

Bronze

Post by rockstar4488 » Mon Apr 19, 2010 9:35 am

newyorker88 wrote:
I'd also like to point out that there are no statistics that correlate LSAT scores to success as a lawyer.. or even success in law school as a whole. Just 1L.

Get unlimited access to all forums and topics

Register now!

I'm pretty sure I told you it's FREE...

Return to “Law School Acceptances, Denials, and Waitlists”