Should I settle or reapply

Share Your Experiences, Read About Other Experiences. Please keep posts organized by school and expected year of graduation.

Help! Should I go to one of these or wait and apply next year?

Continue working as a teacher and reapply next year
11%
Wustl for 25,000 a year no stipulations
78%
Univ. Of Cincinnati 15,000 in state/ full with my americorp grant
10%
Loyola New Orleans full ride if funds are there 80% if not
1%

Total votes: 73

lobeca

Should I settle or reapply

Postby lobeca » Sun Apr 18, 2010 9:32 pm

I over applied to law school. 53 applications because I had a fee waiver and lots of crs fee waivers. So now I have a problem. I either didn't get enough money or didn't get in to any of my faves. I currently am reaping what I sowed in the teaching program from haedes. So I'm hesitant to take on anymore debt, which I have from getting a degree I did not know I had to get. The program did give me direction though and I want to be a advocate for children with disabilities and other persons who are disabled. Yea. Anyways everyday I change my mind because of an acceptance. I'm literally being pulled in four directions. So please vote in my poll so that I can have some anonymous advice.

This is my info:
urm
excellent softs
want to work and live in dc Cali or east coast except Delaware, r.I, Maine, and Vermont
Last edited by lobeca on Sun Apr 18, 2010 11:33 pm, edited 1 time in total.

scribelaw

Re: Should I settle or reapply

Postby scribelaw » Sun Apr 18, 2010 9:35 pm

You got $75,000 from WUSTL with a 153 LSAT?

captainculpepper

Postby captainculpepper » Sun Apr 18, 2010 9:36 pm

Is there anyway to get your 153 up?

lobeca

Postby lobeca » Sun Apr 18, 2010 9:43 pm

I kid you not. I was shocked as well. I got waitlisted at schools I thought should reject me. But yes that is what was written in my email.

soonergirl

Postby soonergirl » Sun Apr 18, 2010 9:53 pm

I wouldn't go to any of those schools if you want to go disability advocacy on the east or west coast. Pay to defer at one of those schools (to cover your bases). Study and retake the LSAT this summer and reapply to two or three schools.

What kind of kids do you work with? mild/moderate? ASD? low-incidence?

portena

Postby portena » Sun Apr 18, 2010 9:54 pm

soonergirl wrote:I wouldn't go to any of those schools if you want to go disability advocacy on the east or west coast. Pay to defer at one of those schools (to cover your bases). Study and retake the LSAT this summer and reapply to two or three schools.

Don't you usually have to sign an agreement saying you won't apply elsewhere if you choose to defer?

thedogship

Postby thedogship » Sun Apr 18, 2010 10:02 pm

portena wrote:
soonergirl wrote:I wouldn't go to any of those schools if you want to go disability advocacy on the east or west coast. Pay to defer at one of those schools (to cover your bases). Study and retake the LSAT this summer and reapply to two or three schools.

Don't you usually have to sign an agreement saying you won't apply elsewhere if you choose to defer?

Yes, you usually can't defer and reapply to other schools. It's one or the other.

lobeca

Postby lobeca » Sun Apr 18, 2010 10:07 pm

captainculpepper wrote:Is there anyway to get your 153 up?

I can't retake because of the three in two rule but u conn said I could retake. So maybe I can ask them to write to lsac so I can get permission to retake maybe but it would have to be September. I'm in the middle of finals, Iep season and spring testing.

For the person who asked what my student population is, I have the pleasure of working with intellectually and learning disabled.

Thanks for the help please ask your friends to weigh in.

BigA

Postby BigA » Sun Apr 18, 2010 10:12 pm

With your LSAT it seems crazy to give up 75k at a top 20 and reapply next year, unless you think you can score a lot higher. Why do you think it's hurting you that you applied to many schools? I couldn't quite understand that

r6_philly

Postby r6_philly » Sun Apr 18, 2010 10:17 pm

I think your GPA is high enough that if you could gain 10 points you are looking at a whole new world of possibilities. I know you took 3 already, so you need an honest assessment as accurately as possible. Is there anyway you can change your prep strategy to improve your score. If you can, then it is worth it at least to consider taking off an extra year (or 2) to retake. Of course there is a possiblity that you hit your ceiling after 3 tries. But in case you have not, if you could improve how you prepare by taking the right classes or more, 10 more points is going to do you wonders. It would mean more opportunities after graduation, better diploma and perhaps a whole lot less debt. You would appciate the ability to move freely after school (in region and in career) without debt and with a better diploma.

This advice applies to everyone, but it is hard to suggest people to plan 10-20 years in the future. Most people just want to get on with law school and on with their lives. Of course, if you turn 30 and think about if you could replan your life, you would probably come up with these hindsight like suggestions :mrgreen:

romothesavior

Postby romothesavior » Sun Apr 18, 2010 10:20 pm

This is terrible advice, because you'd have to take another year off if you defer (in addition to the deferral year). You can't just defer and then reapply and keep a school in your back pocket just in case. You'd have to sit out the 2011-2012 school year as well.

I am blown away that you got so much money from WUSTL. Although it is far from a guarantee that you'll get to CA, D.C., or the east coast by going to WashU, it is still very possile (especially as a URM). The odds of you making it to one of those markets at WUSTL is far higher than the odds of making it from Cincy or Loyola, and I see no point in waiting a year and reapplying if you cannot take the LSAT again. You got a big scholarship from WUSTL (same one I got and my LSAT is 15 points higher), so you should take the money and run. Hell, you may find that you actually like the midwest and maybe you'll decide to end up in Chicago or St. Louis or something.

FunkyJD

Postby FunkyJD » Sun Apr 18, 2010 10:23 pm

I'm known on these boards for being hella debt averse, but geez ... WUSTL, dude.

pugalicious

Postby pugalicious » Sun Apr 18, 2010 10:38 pm

I'm in a similar situation, in that I had to take on some debt for my teaching credential program as well, and am now going to law school. My main question for you is, do you LIKE teaching? Because I HATE my job passionately, and frankly, I would take on ANY DEBT at ANY school just to get out of it.

So if you DON'T hate it, if you are willing to teach for another year, why don't you look into working in the school district as a special ed coordinator? I've taught in both CA and AZ, and while AZ definitely has better special ed programs, both had positions either on-site or at the district level that involved advocating for the education of special-ed students. If your goal is to advocate for children, why take on additional debt when you are already in a position to more effectively do that, while working much closer with the students themselves?

MrKappus

Postby MrKappus » Sun Apr 18, 2010 10:43 pm

Is no one else worried that if OP wants a WUSTL degree to travel, he/she is going to have to do decently, and 153 predicts he/she will get crucified at a school w/ with an LSAT IQR that's 10-15 pts higher?

nightlight

Postby nightlight » Sun Apr 18, 2010 10:49 pm

FunkyJD wrote:Everyone on these boards is known for being hella debt averse, but geez ... WUSTL, dude.

pugalicious

Postby pugalicious » Sun Apr 18, 2010 10:49 pm

MrKappus wrote:Is no one else worried that if OP wants a WUSTL degree to travel, he/she is going to have to do decently, and 153 predicts he/she will get crucified at a school w/ with an LSAT IQR that's 10-15 pts higher?

Is advocacy for the disabled really that saturated a market? (I wouldn't know, 3 years teaching high school has killed every ounce of altruism and optimism for humanity I ever had : ). I think OP really just wants to help people, but can't do that if loan payments>paycheck-cost of living ...

rockstar4488

Postby rockstar4488 » Sun Apr 18, 2010 10:53 pm

153? urm or not, take wash u and run with it!

romothesavior

Postby romothesavior » Sun Apr 18, 2010 10:55 pm

MrKappus wrote:Is no one else worried that if OP wants a WUSTL degree to travel, he/she is going to have to do decently, and 153 predicts he/she will get crucified at a school w/ with an LSAT IQR that's 10-15 pts higher?

This is somewhat of a valid point. I know the conventional wisdom is that you should go to the best school you can, and a difference of a few LSAT points is mostly meaningless (in other words, a 165 at WUSTL shouldn't be freaking out that they aren't up to par). Still, a 153 is WAY below median and I would be very, very worried about being able to keep up with the rest of the class.

On the other hand, URMs are usually going to be sought after by firms and they have more room for error with respect to the median than your average white guy.

MrKappus

Postby MrKappus » Sun Apr 18, 2010 10:58 pm

romothesavior wrote:

This is somewhat of a valid point. I know the conventional wisdom is that you should go to the best school you can, and a difference of a few LSAT points is mostly meaningless (in other words, a 165 at WUSTL shouldn't be freaking out that they aren't up to par). Still, a 153 is WAY below median and I would be very, very worried about being able to keep up with the rest of the class.

On the other hand, URMs are usually going to be sought after by firms and they have more room for error with respect to the median than your average white guy.

These are good points, and I didn't meant to come off as insensitive (i.e., "crucified" was the wrong word). I only meant that OP seemed very intent on the portability of his/her degree, and I think a WUSTL degree's (even though it's a great, T20 school) portability could be affected if OP can't at least be in the top half/third. Even if your focus is advocacy for the disabled, you have to always keep in mind that there are plenty of people going to regional/T14 schools that are also interested.

Always Credited

Postby Always Credited » Sun Apr 18, 2010 11:12 pm

no no, crucified was exactly the right word. it describes perfectly what will happen to the OP at WUSTL if he puts as much work into the law as he put into his LSAT.

rockstar4488

Postby rockstar4488 » Sun Apr 18, 2010 11:17 pm

In this instance, I disagree somewhat with rationalizing OP's potential class rank from their LSAT score. OP has shown that they have work ethic, patience, and a goal that they are passionate about. I would assume these are more important (albeit impossible to _actually_ gauge) to law school success than 10 or 15 pts on the LSAT. I agree with the above poster in that if you are going to blow off studying.. don't go. Though, I think this applies equally to most law schools, not just Wash U
Last edited by rockstar4488 on Sun Apr 18, 2010 11:18 pm, edited 1 time in total.

lobeca

Postby lobeca » Sun Apr 18, 2010 11:17 pm

I don't particularly care for teaching. In many districts you are really advocating for the school districts piggy bank not any kids. Plus when you say advocate the schools jumps when you say jump because they never win.

Not concerned about how I would preform at wustl. I'm slightly offended that you think I would be less than successful there. I'm phi beta kappa had a 4.0 in my major and a 3.96 in grad school while working full time. I think my score reflects studying for the test while being in the teaching program from haedes, grad school, a stessful work environment and being cheated on two days before the test. But maybe, all that will happen while in law school. Who knows? Do you know of others that have been accepted below the mean that have bombed 1L due to thier low LSAT score. Thank you for your concern. I appreciate your advice everyone. This is not sarcasm I really want to know if people are really underpreforming because they were accepted below the median.

Also urm + debt= renting until it gets paid off. Jk kinda...

rockstar4488

Postby rockstar4488 » Sun Apr 18, 2010 11:19 pm

There's statistics that correlate LSAT scores to 1L success.

lobeca

Postby lobeca » Sun Apr 18, 2010 11:21 pm

Oh yea, overapplying was bad because I ended up with to many offers to handle. I only got 8 rejects so far out of the 53. I was waitlisted at about half and accepted at the other. I also shouldn't have referred to wustl as settling. It is not. It is a blessing with that amount of secure scholarship.

Luis Gomez

Postby Luis Gomez » Sun Apr 18, 2010 11:27 pm

lobeca wrote:Oh yea, overapplying was bad because I ended up with to many offers to handle. I only got 8 rejects so far out of the 53. I was waitlisted at about half and accepted at the other. I also shouldn't have referred to wustl as settling. It is not. It is a blessing with that amount of secure scholarship.

The hell it is.

Return to “Law School Acceptances, Denials, and Waitlists”