Adcomms complimenting waitlist applications?

Share Your Experiences, Read About Other Experiences. Please keep posts organized by school and expected year of graduation.
AgentSarahWalker

Adcomms complimenting waitlist applications?

Postby AgentSarahWalker » Sun Apr 18, 2010 7:37 pm

I visited m top choice last week and met with an admissions dean. They said things like I would be a "great addition to the class." It almost seemed like they were trying to convince me to attend. I'm confused, since I'm on the waitlist, and they did say they can't tell whether it will go to the waitlist at all. Has anyone else had such an experience? Should I assume they are this complimentary to everyone, or could I take it as a good sign?

CanadianWolf

Re: Adcomms complimenting waitlist applications?

Postby CanadianWolf » Sun Apr 18, 2010 7:39 pm

You should have given the admissions officer your deposit check right then & there.
P.S. If you have the admissions officer's contact info. why not write a letter in agreement with your deposit check enclosed.
Last edited by CanadianWolf on Sun Apr 18, 2010 7:43 pm, edited 1 time in total.

OperaSoprano

Postby OperaSoprano » Sun Apr 18, 2010 7:42 pm

They aren't complimentary to everyone, because most people don't show that much initiative. Adcomms, like most people, tend to appreciate those who show appreciation and enthusiasm. It's not a guarantee, of course, but it's a positive sign, and if it helps, I had a similar experience.

AgentSarahWalker

Postby AgentSarahWalker » Sun Apr 18, 2010 7:50 pm

It wouldn't seem presumptuous to write the check before the deposit deadline for regular admits? Has this worked for anyone?

missvik218

Postby missvik218 » Sun Apr 18, 2010 7:51 pm

CanadianWolf wrote:You should have given the admissions officer your deposit check right then & there.
P.S. If you have the admissions officer's contact info. why not write a letter in agreement with your deposit check enclosed.

Is this customary? I feel like that's pretty presumptuous, you can make you intentions clear without sending unsolicited funds, no?

CanadianWolf

Postby CanadianWolf » Sun Apr 18, 2010 7:51 pm

Date it May 2, 2010.

My comments above were intended to be humorous. Guess I need to start using the smile faces.
You'd think that I would have learned after jokingly suggesting to one young lady that she just show up at Stanford for undergrad and start taking classes.

My serious advice is to write the admissions officer a letter indicating that this law school remains your first choice (and do NOT ask whether cash or check is preferred).

Sarah:
Often discussions like the one you had with the admissions dean are intended to gauge your interest & to politely investigate whether or not you have other offers of admission. Best way to view such a conversation is a chance to reaffirm your interest in that law school & to point out that it remains your first choice.

AgentSarahWalker

Postby AgentSarahWalker » Sun Apr 18, 2010 8:12 pm

CanadianWolf wrote:Date it May 2, 2010.

My comments above were intended to be humorous. Guess I need to start using the smile faces.
You'd think that I would have learned after jokingly suggesting to one young lady that she just show up at Stanford for undergrad and start taking classes.

Did she take the advice? (I've already drafted the letter you suggested.)

CanadianWolf

Postby CanadianWolf » Sun Apr 18, 2010 8:18 pm

Regarding the Stanford University undergraduate student who just showed up & starting taking classes & living in the residence hall for about 2 months before it was discovered that she was not really a student, this was not my client but it was an infamous incident that occurred about two years ago. Again, I failed to use a smile face, my apologies.

But my advice to you about writing a brief, never more than one page, letter of continued interest is serious advice. I hope that you are admitted from the waiting list. Best wishes & my apologies for my failed attempts to be humorous.

Return to “Law School Acceptances, Denials, and Waitlists”