Best Advice for your 1st year in Law School

Share Your Experiences, Read About Other Experiences. Please keep posts organized by school and expected year of graduation.
quickquestionthanks

Re: Best Advice for your 1st year in Law School

Postby quickquestionthanks » Sun Apr 18, 2010 12:58 am

badfish wrote:
dakatz wrote:

Haha, a beauty no doubt. Man, I am so psyched for the Cup this summer. I've got the whole month blocked out for it. I would say my fav memory of the last Cup was that insane Maxi Rodriguez goal when he took the pass off his chest and blasted it in midair against Mexico.

That game was awesome, but Argentina's 1st game against Serbia and Montenegro was one of the best displays of football I've ever seen.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=2bmK-XhIIMA

For the win. Talk about running a clinic.

But in terms of best goal by an individual, got a give up to the master:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=iz9j0mPR8Jg

ilovelawapps

Postby ilovelawapps » Sun Apr 18, 2010 10:06 am

quickquestionthanks wrote:
badfish wrote:
dakatz wrote:

Haha, a beauty no doubt. Man, I am so psyched for the Cup this summer. I've got the whole month blocked out for it. I would say my fav memory of the last Cup was that insane Maxi Rodriguez goal when he took the pass off his chest and blasted it in midair against Mexico.

That game was awesome, but Argentina's 1st game against Serbia and Montenegro was one of the best displays of football I've ever seen.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=2bmK-XhIIMA

For the win. Talk about running a clinic.

But in terms of best goal by an individual, got a give up to the master:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=iz9j0mPR8Jg

Dont you mean this?

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=H2D6LdNakzE

vanwinkle

Postby vanwinkle » Sun Apr 18, 2010 12:40 pm

I love the overall direction this thread has gone, btw. :mrgreen:

quickquestionthanks

Postby quickquestionthanks » Sun Apr 18, 2010 6:17 pm

ilovelawapps wrote:Dont you mean this?

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=H2D6LdNakzE

He's a quadruple threat!

robin600

Postby robin600 » Sun Apr 18, 2010 11:14 pm

rugby is way better!

romothesavior

Postby romothesavior » Sun Apr 18, 2010 11:16 pm

vanwinkle wrote:I love the overall direction this thread has gone, btw. :mrgreen:

I'm usually not one to get upset by thread derails, but when the discussion turns to soccer I just have to :roll:

vanwinkle

Postby vanwinkle » Sun Apr 18, 2010 11:31 pm

romothesavior wrote:
vanwinkle wrote:I love the overall direction this thread has gone, btw. :mrgreen:

I'm usually not one to get upset by thread derails, but when the discussion turns to football I just have to :roll:

FTFY. :P

badfish

Postby badfish » Sun Apr 18, 2010 11:41 pm

I had such high hopes for him...

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=GrInncmNvRY

OperaSoprano

Postby OperaSoprano » Sun Apr 18, 2010 11:42 pm

Un-derailing, briefly:

Surround yourself with positive people. Pay attention to your state of mind and stress levels, and recognize that sometimes you will have to put effort into maintaining balance. Eat and sleep on a regular schedule, and if you need help, ask for it! Law students have a bad rep, but they are some of the kindest, most thoughtful people I have ever met.

Also seek to maintain your friendships outside of school, and keep up with family members on a semi regular basis (if applicable).

Academically speaking, take practice exams. As many as possible. Get into a rhythm, and know exactly how you plan to approach each final. Dissect your answers with other law students, and have regular conversations about hypos, just to get familiar with the format. My roommate and I did this for the final we both did best on.

Find at least one professor you really like, and ask this person for advice. Confide in him or her. It took me more than a semester to figure this last one out.

sophie316

Postby sophie316 » Sun Apr 18, 2010 11:52 pm

Ignore what other people are doing, it will make you freak out. Just do what works best for you.

prezidentv8

Postby prezidentv8 » Sun Apr 18, 2010 11:54 pm

OperaSoprano wrote:Un-derailing, briefly:

Surround yourself with positive people. Pay attention to your state of mind and stress levels, and recognize that sometimes you will have to put effort into maintaining balance. Eat and sleep on a regular schedule, and if you need help, ask for it! Law students have a bad rep, but they are some of the kindest, most thoughtful people I have ever met.

Also seek to maintain your friendships outside of school, and keep up with family members on a semi regular basis (if applicable).

Academically speaking, take practice exams. As many as possible. Get into a rhythm, and know exactly how you plan to approach each final. Dissect your answers with other law students, and have regular conversations about hypos, just to get familiar with the format. My roommate and I did this for the final we both did best on.

Find at least one professor you really like, and ask this person for advice. Confide in him or her. It took me more than a semester to figure this last one out.

ITT: Prez finds out OS has law school down waaaaay more than he does. Solid post.

RW65

Postby RW65 » Mon Apr 19, 2010 12:44 am

The semester goes by MUCH faster than you think it will.

Don't sweat the small stuff.

macunaima

Postby macunaima » Mon Apr 19, 2010 10:06 am

dakatz wrote:
While we are talking Argentina soccer, why not re-live the greatest goal ever scored...

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=jk-kXwjA ... re=related

If you want to re-live the greatest goal ever scored, go here: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=0HrjevD2vhk Maradona's is impressive individual play. But Brazil's final goal against Italy in the 1970 final is impressive team play. Almost every member of the team touches the ball in the lead-up to the final shot.

Oh, and here's some advice for law school: don't spend too much time on YouTube.

UPDATE: I hadn't seen the Argentina v Serbia goal before. That's quite impressive team play as well.

psychomohel

Postby psychomohel » Mon Apr 19, 2010 10:31 am

Can people share how they went about studying their 1st year?

Always Credited

Postby Always Credited » Mon Apr 19, 2010 10:36 am

This thread is so good, it gets a:

bex

Postby bex » Mon Apr 19, 2010 10:39 am

Do things outside of class that you enjoy. Just relax and don't be afraid to not hit the books 24/7 -- watching a movie or a TV show is ok!

Also, be friends with your classmates. Don't be that super-competitive loser who refuses to share notes or help a friend out.

Most importantly, try to enjoy it! I've spoken to many attorneys who all say they wish they could go back to law school, so enjoy it while you're there...

SpaceDawg

Postby SpaceDawg » Mon Apr 19, 2010 10:46 am

vanwinkle wrote:
dakatz wrote:While we are talking Argentina soccer, why not re-live the greatest goal ever scored...

Messi decided to recreate it, and may have even outdone Maradona:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=zAmisLxJjN8

Dude is just freaking amazing.

That is beautiful.

SpaceDawg

Postby SpaceDawg » Mon Apr 19, 2010 10:49 am

macunaima wrote:
dakatz wrote:
While we are talking Argentina soccer, why not re-live the greatest goal ever scored...

If you want to re-live the greatest goal ever scored, go here: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=0HrjevD2vhk Maradona's is impressive individual play. But Brazil's final goal against Italy in the 1970 final is impressive team play. Almost every member of the team touches the ball in the lead-up to the final shot.

Oh, and here's some advice for law school: don't spend too much time on YouTube.

UPDATE: I hadn't seen the Argentina v Serbia goal before. That's quite impressive team play as well.

I feel like you don't see that type of teamwork anymore because everyone wants to be a star. Although, the South American teams are still pretty good about it.

kilgore_trout

Postby kilgore_trout » Mon Apr 19, 2010 11:08 am

Where do you get hornbooks? From everything I've heard they make life a lot easier, so are they pretty easy to come by or do I have to illegally smuggle them from a South American country?

OperaSoprano

Postby OperaSoprano » Mon Apr 19, 2010 11:30 am

prezidentv8 wrote:
OperaSoprano wrote:Un-derailing, briefly:

ITT: Prez finds out OS has law school down waaaaay more than he does. Solid post.

<3

I'm sharing because I suffered a shit-ton more than necessary, and it was my own doing.

Secondary advice: travel, if you can. Before I ran out of money, I made it to see friends (some of whom were fellow 1Ls) in Chicago, San Diego, and Charlottesville. These were some of the high points of my year, and memories I'll have for a very long time. Plus, transit time is enforced studying time!

And lest I forget, consult the experts. I'm lucky to know a number of people who hit first semester, or the entirety of 1L year, out of the ballpark. When I meet these people, after getting them to quit being so modest, I ask them what worked best for them, and if they had a specific approach to exam-taking. First semester I was an Arrow girl: viewtopic.php?f=2&t=77628 and now I also have the spectacular advice of Scribe: viewtopic.php?f=11&p=2851006#p2851006

These are not the only ones with phenomenal advice, however. I thought people would jealously guard their secrets, but I've been astonished at the generosity with which they have shared ideas, methods, and organizational plans.

prezidentv8

Postby prezidentv8 » Mon Apr 19, 2010 2:05 pm

psychomohel wrote:Can people share how they went about studying their 1st year?

I still don't know how I went about studying this year. My main point would be to advise you to do whatever it takes to figure out the mechanics of the law, by casebook, hornbook, E&E, internet, or whatever else. Get really good at mechanics.

Lighthouse28

Postby Lighthouse28 » Mon Apr 19, 2010 2:29 pm

A thread about the REAL football, I love it :D Can't waittttttttt until the World Cup!!!! Let's hope Italy doesn't cheat again this year! (Don't shoot me, please.)

Mr. Matlock

Postby Mr. Matlock » Mon Apr 19, 2010 2:45 pm

holybartender

Postby holybartender » Mon Apr 19, 2010 2:55 pm

Not even a good photoshop.

edit- You took it down, heh.

frecklesmclean0002

Postby frecklesmclean0002 » Mon Apr 19, 2010 4:07 pm

Thanks for the arrow girl post! That was EPIC!!!

Return to “Law School Acceptances, Denials, and Waitlists”