Best Advice for your 1st year in Law School

Share Your Experiences, Read About Other Experiences. Please keep posts organized by school and expected year of graduation.
User avatar
rgucsb
Posts: 104
Joined: Mon Mar 15, 2010 5:16 pm

Best Advice for your 1st year in Law School

Postby rgucsb » Sun Apr 18, 2010 12:09 am

What is the best advice you can give to any first year law student?

User avatar
Mr. T6
Posts: 243
Joined: Thu May 14, 2009 7:54 am

Re: Best Advice for your 1st year in Law School

Postby Mr. T6 » Sun Apr 18, 2010 12:12 am

Find girls outside of the LS. I know that it's almost tempting, because your classmates are right there, but you'll be a better person if you compartmentalize. (Have you seen Up in the Air?)

User avatar
badfish
Posts: 1160
Joined: Mon Jun 02, 2008 12:53 pm

Re: Best Advice for your 1st year in Law School

Postby badfish » Sun Apr 18, 2010 12:12 am

Don't stress too much and use hornbooks throughout the year.

User avatar
rgucsb
Posts: 104
Joined: Mon Mar 15, 2010 5:16 pm

Re: Best Advice for your 1st year in Law School

Postby rgucsb » Sun Apr 18, 2010 12:13 am

haha yeah I actually just saw it yesterday and the Vera Firmiga obsession continues

User avatar
vanwinkle
Posts: 9740
Joined: Sun Dec 21, 2008 3:02 am

Re: Best Advice for your 1st year in Law School

Postby vanwinkle » Sun Apr 18, 2010 12:15 am

Inside of class: APPLY LAW TO FACTS.

Outside of class: Hang out with people more. Have fun. Live. Breathe. Enjoy.

User avatar
rgucsb
Posts: 104
Joined: Mon Mar 15, 2010 5:16 pm

Re: Best Advice for your 1st year in Law School

Postby rgucsb » Sun Apr 18, 2010 12:15 am

thanks Badfish

User avatar
rgucsb
Posts: 104
Joined: Mon Mar 15, 2010 5:16 pm

Re: Best Advice for your 1st year in Law School

Postby rgucsb » Sun Apr 18, 2010 12:17 am

thanks vanwinkle, big Argentina fan? Messi is unreal puts Christiano Ronaldo to shame

dakatz
Posts: 2460
Joined: Sat Mar 29, 2008 4:19 pm

Re: Best Advice for your 1st year in Law School

Postby dakatz » Sun Apr 18, 2010 12:19 am

rgucsb wrote:thanks vanwinkle, big Argentina fan? Messi is unreal puts Christiano Ronaldo to shame


If only Messi could turn it on for the Albiceleste the way he does for Barca, this could be a magical world cup.

User avatar
vanwinkle
Posts: 9740
Joined: Sun Dec 21, 2008 3:02 am

Re: Best Advice for your 1st year in Law School

Postby vanwinkle » Sun Apr 18, 2010 12:20 am

rgucsb wrote:thanks vanwinkle, big Argentina fan? Messi is unreal puts Christiano Ronaldo to shame

Messi is easily the best football player today. I'm hoping he can bring us the Cup this year.

User avatar
badfish
Posts: 1160
Joined: Mon Jun 02, 2008 12:53 pm

Re: Best Advice for your 1st year in Law School

Postby badfish » Sun Apr 18, 2010 12:20 am

dakatz wrote:
rgucsb wrote:thanks vanwinkle, big Argentina fan? Messi is unreal puts Christiano Ronaldo to shame


If only Messi could turn it on for the Albiceleste the way he does for Barca, this could be a magical world cup.


Messi is going to dominate this world cup. Second coming of diego baby minus the cocaine addiction.

I'm really excited!

dakatz
Posts: 2460
Joined: Sat Mar 29, 2008 4:19 pm

Re: Best Advice for your 1st year in Law School

Postby dakatz » Sun Apr 18, 2010 12:24 am

badfish wrote:
dakatz wrote:
rgucsb wrote:thanks vanwinkle, big Argentina fan? Messi is unreal puts Christiano Ronaldo to shame


If only Messi could turn it on for the Albiceleste the way he does for Barca, this could be a magical world cup.


Messi is going to dominate this world cup. Second coming of diego baby minus the cocaine addiction.

I'm really excited!


While we are talking Argentina soccer, why not re-live the greatest goal ever scored...

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=jk-kXwjA ... re=related

User avatar
98234872348
Posts: 1547
Joined: Mon Dec 22, 2008 3:25 pm

Re: Best Advice for your 1st year in Law School

Postby 98234872348 » Sun Apr 18, 2010 12:25 am

I'd recommend giving yourself one mental day a week, that strategy worked well for me.

Also, obviously, Van Winkle's comment is TCR.

User avatar
badfish
Posts: 1160
Joined: Mon Jun 02, 2008 12:53 pm

Re: Best Advice for your 1st year in Law School

Postby badfish » Sun Apr 18, 2010 12:26 am


dakatz
Posts: 2460
Joined: Sat Mar 29, 2008 4:19 pm

Re: Best Advice for your 1st year in Law School

Postby dakatz » Sun Apr 18, 2010 12:28 am



Haha, a beauty no doubt. Man, I am so psyched for the Cup this summer. I've got the whole month blocked out for it. I would say my fav memory of the last Cup was that insane Maxi Rodriguez goal when he took the pass off his chest and blasted it in midair against Mexico.

User avatar
vanwinkle
Posts: 9740
Joined: Sun Dec 21, 2008 3:02 am

Re: Best Advice for your 1st year in Law School

Postby vanwinkle » Sun Apr 18, 2010 12:30 am

dakatz wrote:While we are talking Argentina soccer, why not re-live the greatest goal ever scored...

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=jk-kXwjA ... re=related

Messi decided to recreate it, and may have even outdone Maradona:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=zAmisLxJjN8

Dude is just freaking amazing.

User avatar
badfish
Posts: 1160
Joined: Mon Jun 02, 2008 12:53 pm

Re: Best Advice for your 1st year in Law School

Postby badfish » Sun Apr 18, 2010 12:32 am

dakatz wrote:


Haha, a beauty no doubt. Man, I am so psyched for the Cup this summer. I've got the whole month blocked out for it. I would say my fav memory of the last Cup was that insane Maxi Rodriguez goal when he took the pass off his chest and blasted it in midair against Mexico.


That game was awesome, but Argentina's 1st game against Serbia and Montenegro was one of the best displays of football I've ever seen.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=2bmK-XhIIMA

mwazaumoja
Posts: 65
Joined: Sun Feb 01, 2009 4:40 pm

Re: Best Advice for your 1st year in Law School

Postby mwazaumoja » Sun Apr 18, 2010 12:36 am

I just want to Echo Badfish.

If there is one thing that Professor's tell you that is incorrect, it's "Don't use Hornbooks."

Your life will be much less stressful if you just read a hornbook on the topic of your nights cases, and then read the cases. I don't know why I didn't do this last semester. It was silly of me.

User avatar
98234872348
Posts: 1547
Joined: Mon Dec 22, 2008 3:25 pm

Re: Best Advice for your 1st year in Law School

Postby 98234872348 » Sun Apr 18, 2010 12:37 am

A thread derailed by soccer nerdom? That's a first for me.

User avatar
prezidentv8
Posts: 2821
Joined: Mon Dec 29, 2008 5:33 am

Re: Best Advice for your 1st year in Law School

Postby prezidentv8 » Sun Apr 18, 2010 12:38 am

mwazaumoja wrote:I just want to Echo Badfish.

If there is one thing that Professor's tell you that is incorrect, it's "Don't use Hornbooks."

Your life will be much less stressful if you just read a hornbook on the topic of your nights cases, and then read the cases. I don't know why I didn't do this last semester. It was silly of me.


Hornbooks - they make things make sense!

See also E&Es.

dakatz
Posts: 2460
Joined: Sat Mar 29, 2008 4:19 pm

Re: Best Advice for your 1st year in Law School

Postby dakatz » Sun Apr 18, 2010 12:38 am

badfish wrote:
dakatz wrote:


Haha, a beauty no doubt. Man, I am so psyched for the Cup this summer. I've got the whole month blocked out for it. I would say my fav memory of the last Cup was that insane Maxi Rodriguez goal when he took the pass off his chest and blasted it in midair against Mexico.


That game was awesome, but Argentina's 1st game against Serbia and Montenegro was one of the best displays of football I've ever seen.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=2bmK-XhIIMA


Hot damn, I remember that! That final no-look pass to top off a series of flawless teamwork

Tofu
Posts: 249
Joined: Sat Oct 17, 2009 4:18 pm

Re: Best Advice for your 1st year in Law School

Postby Tofu » Sun Apr 18, 2010 12:45 am

i just realized that i've seen messi play live (though i had no idea who he was until 5 minutes ago hahaha :()

User avatar
vanwinkle
Posts: 9740
Joined: Sun Dec 21, 2008 3:02 am

Re: Best Advice for your 1st year in Law School

Postby vanwinkle » Sun Apr 18, 2010 12:46 am

Tofu wrote:i just realized that i've seen messi play live (though i had no idea who he was until 5 minutes ago hahaha :()

:shock: :?

You make me sick.

dakatz
Posts: 2460
Joined: Sat Mar 29, 2008 4:19 pm

Re: Best Advice for your 1st year in Law School

Postby dakatz » Sun Apr 18, 2010 12:47 am

Tofu wrote:i just realized that i've seen messi play live (though i had no idea who he was until 5 minutes ago hahaha)


Where did you see him play? I was in Spain for a Barcelona game (which was absolutely insane, with 100K people there, though not quite as crazy as the Boca Juniors game I went to in Buenos Aires), and I also went to a USA vs. Argentina friendly at Giants Stadium 2 years ago.

User avatar
badfish
Posts: 1160
Joined: Mon Jun 02, 2008 12:53 pm

Re: Best Advice for your 1st year in Law School

Postby badfish » Sun Apr 18, 2010 12:48 am

I saw Michael Owen score a hat trick against Colombia a few years back at the meadowlands. That was pretty special.

Tofu
Posts: 249
Joined: Sat Oct 17, 2009 4:18 pm

Re: Best Advice for your 1st year in Law School

Postby Tofu » Sun Apr 18, 2010 12:50 am

dakatz wrote:
Tofu wrote:i just realized that i've seen messi play live (though i had no idea who he was until 5 minutes ago hahaha)


Where did you see him play? I was in Spain for a Barcelona game (which was absolutely insane, with 100K people there, though not quite as crazy as the Boca Juniors game I went to in Buenos Aires), and I also went to a USA vs. Argentina friendly at Giants Stadium 2 years ago.


it was the gold medal game in the 2008 olympics




Return to “Law School Acceptances, Denials, and Waitlists”

Who is online

Users browsing this forum: blahblah123, cyclawps, JazzyMac, potatocowpower and 8 guests