Harvard Waitlist 2010

Share Your Experiences, Read About Other Experiences. Please keep posts organized by school and expected year of graduation.
Hafo

Re: Harvard Waitlist 2010

Postby Hafo » Tue Jul 20, 2010 12:42 pm

Unitas wrote:
Hafo wrote:Sorry for neglecting to touch on the issue of LOCI's. I applied in Jan, rather late, and was on hold and soon after on the wailist. I just wrote one such thing after being put on hold, and that's it. 'Coz I didn't know much about strategizing my application, but after I got on this site and learned much about the game, my mind was pretty much set on reapplying early this Sept. I've even finished my new PS and asked for more LOR's. So I didn't pay much attention to appealing to the adcomm. Sorry I can't be of more help here.

You were/are of help and I (hopefully we) are grateful for the time you took out. TLS has a thread for Harvard class of 2013 here viewtopic.php?f=25&t=94173&start=75, so people can help with finding a place to live, financial aid, and so forth. Again congrats.

He did say they had a few more spots though? Just curious....

Great thanks Unitas for the helpful link! I just realized this site is quite a treasure trove!

In terms of spots left, what JR said, and I quote, was "we are trying to fill the last few spots for the class..." I'm not sure whether "the last few" could be understood as "a few more" here. I don't want to dig more into the semantics here coz English is not my native language, but my gut feeling is that there may be less than 5 spots, if there is any.

swampthang

Postby swampthang » Tue Jul 20, 2010 12:49 pm

Hafo wrote:
Unitas wrote:
Hafo wrote:Sorry for neglecting to touch on the issue of LOCI's. I applied in Jan, rather late, and was on hold and soon after on the wailist. I just wrote one such thing after being put on hold, and that's it. 'Coz I didn't know much about strategizing my application, but after I got on this site and learned much about the game, my mind was pretty much set on reapplying early this Sept. I've even finished my new PS and asked for more LOR's. So I didn't pay much attention to appealing to the adcomm. Sorry I can't be of more help here.

You were/are of help and I (hopefully we) are grateful for the time you took out. TLS has a thread for Harvard class of 2013 here viewtopic.php?f=25&t=94173&start=75, so people can help with finding a place to live, financial aid, and so forth. Again congrats.

He did say they had a few more spots though? Just curious....

Great thanks Unitas for the helpful link! I just realized this site is quite a treasure trove!

In terms of spots left, what JR said, and I quote, was "we are trying to fill the last few spots for the class..." I'm not sure whether "the last few" could be understood as "a few more" here. I don't want to dig more into the semantics here coz English is not my native language, but my gut feeling is that there may be less than 5 spots, if there is any.

And the wait continues. Hafo, congrats on getting in! With your numbers, pedigree, int'l status, and thesis award, I'm surprised you didn't get in outright, but all's well that ends well. Enjoy Cambridge. Perhaps one of the TLS regulars will get that much-desired tap on the shoulder.

The OCD, mega-persistent/perseverant part of me really wants to write an LOCI so as to further the illusion of activity and influence on the ultimate decision, but I don't even know what else I would write. Besides, I think they already know everything about you that's going to matter, barring a cure for cancer.

Unitas

Postby Unitas » Thu Jul 22, 2010 3:39 pm

Hmm, someone said they got WL->R on LSN... http://lawschoolnumbers.com/jbunz

Not sure if this was a deferred -> R or a WL -> R. Interesting if it was a WL though...

swampthang

Postby swampthang » Thu Jul 22, 2010 3:59 pm

Unitas wrote:Hmm, someone said they got WL->R on LSN... http://lawschoolnumbers.com/jbunz

Not sure if this was a deferred -> R or a WL -> R. Interesting if it was a WL though...

Could've been someone who gave H a deadline and got an "expedited decision". Are those ever positive? Or it could be the first drop in the downpour. We'll find out soon!

Unitas

Postby Unitas » Thu Jul 22, 2010 4:02 pm

swampthang wrote:
Unitas wrote:Hmm, someone said they got WL->R on LSN... http://lawschoolnumbers.com/jbunz

Could've been someone who gave H a deadline and got an "expedited decision". Are those ever positive? Or it could be the first drop in the downpour. We'll find out soon!

We had the option of "expedited decision??"" Might as well call that "expedited rejection"

swampthang

Postby swampthang » Thu Jul 22, 2010 4:06 pm

Unitas wrote:
swampthang wrote:

We had the option of "expedited decision??"" Might as well call that "expedited rejection"

Of course. In Dean Deal (Stanford)'s blog she talks about letting her know if you have a deadline so they can get a decision to you by then. That's suicide. Expedited rejection, indeed. But hey, if you gotta know by a certain point than I understand.

kmap

Postby kmap » Thu Jul 22, 2010 4:11 pm

I gave Harvard a "deadline" and still got accepted, so I don't think it makes any difference unless they already knew they were going to reject you and just hadn't gotten around to it yet.

someones alt

Postby someones alt » Sun Jul 25, 2010 12:54 am

kmap wrote:I gave Harvard a "deadline" and still got accepted, so I don't think it makes any difference unless they already knew they were going to reject you and just hadn't gotten around to it yet.

If I needed to give them a deadline (so I can receive my rejection more quickly), how do I go about it? Does an email to the admissions office suffice, and would it be too little notice to say I need to know by the beginning of next month?

kmap

Postby kmap » Mon Jul 26, 2010 12:49 am

I sent them an email telling them I had a deposit deadline coming up and would love a decision before then, but that I was still prepared to remain on the waitlist assuming they couldn't give me an answer by that date. Short and courteous.

cahesu

Postby cahesu » Mon Jul 26, 2010 2:36 pm

Withdrew this weekend. It's been nice hanging out with you all. Good luck!

Final Score:
Harvard - 0
cahesu - 0

swampthang

Postby swampthang » Mon Jul 26, 2010 2:48 pm

cahesu wrote:Withdrew this weekend. It's been nice hanging out with you all. Good luck!

Final Score:
Harvard - 0
cahesu - 0

Isn't it more like Harvard $87, cahesu 0? Just playing; congrats on officially moving on while the rest of us continue to delude ourselves. Want to trade LSATs?

Unitas

Postby Unitas » Mon Jul 26, 2010 3:02 pm

Last edited by Unitas on Tue Jul 27, 2010 8:39 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Unitas

Postby Unitas » Tue Jul 27, 2010 4:18 pm

Bump. Does anyone have any advice about whether I should write another LOCI to address this or not?
Last edited by Unitas on Tue Jul 27, 2010 8:39 pm, edited 1 time in total.

swampthang

Postby swampthang » Tue Jul 27, 2010 4:33 pm

Unitas wrote:
Unitas wrote:Wondering if I should send an update.. Part of my application came across as arrogant (basically three sentences) and I could clear it up, but not sure if I want to draw attention to it. Some people who read through my application later on mentioned it as a possible cause of my cycle... Should I try and clear it up with little to lose at this point? What do you guys think?

Should be noted, all the schools I was accepted at didn't get this part of the application and all of the T14 I was waitlisted or rejected at did get it. My numbers were never a lock for anywhere, but I have decent softs. I have one bad semester with a 2.2 GPA (classes like intro to college, intro to computers, eng 101, the joke classes) caused by an illness 8 years ago and a perfect 4.0 the rest.

Bump. Does anyone have any advice about whether I should write another LOCI to address this or not?

Disclaimer: I know nothing. But my two thoughts are as follows: 1. never accentuate your negatives. Sometimes you have to address them head-on (as you did with your addendum re your grades), but a 2.2 is a pretty clear cut situation. When you're talking three sentences that may or may not have been viewed as arrogant, I think that runs the risk of blowing up something small and making them take notice. 2. I know you want to stay active, I do, too, but I really truly honestly don't believe anything short of a miracle at this point will get you in. People have gotten pulled who sent no LOCI, bad numbers, etc. I really feel that at this point they know your file and there's nothing you can really do to significantly change things. Again, I don't know anything so disregard freely.

Now if anyone has obtained information re how big the WL is and when they're going to drop the axe, that'd be awesome.

CoaltoNewCastle

Postby CoaltoNewCastle » Tue Jul 27, 2010 5:55 pm

I'm still here waitlisting with you guys. A bloo bloo bloo.

someones alt

Postby someones alt » Wed Jul 28, 2010 1:43 am

I'm p sure it's just us four left

UnitarySpace

Postby UnitarySpace » Wed Jul 28, 2010 1:47 am

I'll join and make it 5 because I hate the number 4.

lta

Postby lta » Wed Jul 28, 2010 5:34 am

roll call: 6

Sakura3210

Postby Sakura3210 » Wed Jul 28, 2010 10:24 am

7!! :D
:cry:

roundabout

Postby roundabout » Wed Jul 28, 2010 10:25 am

Make it lucky number 8. Couldn't you smell my totally awesome perfume? I'm a-lurking. Just have nothing to say. I've signed a lease at my chosen school and have applied for my loans already . . . but I'm still up for rowing boats and eating ivy

eattrucks

Postby eattrucks » Wed Jul 28, 2010 1:31 pm

neimanmarxist

Postby neimanmarxist » Wed Jul 28, 2010 7:53 pm

roundabout wrote:Make it lucky number 8. Couldn't you smell my totally awesome perfume? I'm a-lurking. Just have nothing to say. I've signed a lease at my chosen school and have applied for my loans already . . . but I'm still up for rowing boats and eating ivy

:lol: you win the roll call sense of humor prize.

10 here.

Illijah

Postby Illijah » Wed Jul 28, 2010 11:01 pm

swampthang

Postby swampthang » Fri Jul 30, 2010 5:43 am

12 = my lucky number. Maybe this guy will call my phone telling me I've won the pot of gold at the end of the Crimson rainbow. And that I can try some of his Lucky Charms.

Unitas

Postby Unitas » Fri Jul 30, 2010 7:33 am

swampthang wrote:12 = my lucky number. Maybe this guy will call my phone telling me I've won the pot of gold at the end of the Crimson rainbow. And that I can try some of his Lucky Charms.

I am pretty sure you've already been counted in the initial count.

Back to 11. A lot of the early members of this thread just don't seem to post on TLS anymore.

Return to “Law School Acceptances, Denials, and Waitlists”