Harvard Waitlist 2010

Share Your Experiences, Read About Other Experiences. Please keep posts organized by school and expected year of graduation.
philip.platt

Re: Harvard Waitlist 2010

Postby philip.platt » Thu May 13, 2010 2:26 pm

Shelley Levene wrote:So annoying watching the "In at Harvard" thread getting bumped too so people can whine about housing.

I WANT TO WHINE ABOUT HOUSING TOO!!!

llol

MeredithGrey

Postby MeredithGrey » Thu May 13, 2010 3:14 pm

So today I sent my LOCI after receiving my WL letter Monday. I must have read it ten times and then I had a friend read it who still didn't notice the error. Basically the 11th time I read it (after I had already sent it), I noticed a missing "to" and without it, it actually reads very awkward and I'm not sure why my brain kept reeinserting the "to" every time I read it. I know there is nothing that can be done now, but I figure everything should be perfect to Harvard. *sigh*. Do you all follow-up a email LOCI with a hard copy snail mail. Maybe I can just correct it in that version....
Last edited by MeredithGrey on Thu May 13, 2010 3:45 pm, edited 1 time in total.

swampthang

Postby swampthang » Thu May 13, 2010 3:41 pm

MeredithGrey wrote:So today I sent my LOCI after receiving my WL letter Monday. I must have read it ten times and then I had a friend read it who still didn't notice the error. Basically the 11th time I read it, I noticed a missing "to" and without it, it actually reads very awkward and I'm not sure why my brain kept reeinserting the "to" every time I read it. I know there is nothing that can be done now, but I figure everything should be perfect to Harvard. *sigh*. Do you all follow-up a email LOCI with a hard copy snail mail. Maybe I can just correct it in that version....

Just straight hardcopy. I had everyone in my family read multiple drafts, because (as I expressed your aspirations of perfection) everything to Harvard needs to zing. I was kind of bummed though because I didn't have a lot to update and didn't want to write the whole letter on my desire to (as my brother puts it) "blowbang" the students there. Really, I don't think it makes the big of a difference. You showed you were interested, it'd take something pretty amazing to pull you if you weren't already going to get pulled.

MeredithGrey

Postby MeredithGrey » Thu May 13, 2010 3:47 pm

swampthang wrote:
MeredithGrey wrote:So today I sent my LOCI after receiving my WL letter Monday. I must have read it ten times and then I had a friend read it who still didn't notice the error. Basically the 11th time I read it, I noticed a missing "to" and without it, it actually reads very awkward and I'm not sure why my brain kept reeinserting the "to" every time I read it. I know there is nothing that can be done now, but I figure everything should be perfect to Harvard. *sigh*. Do you all follow-up a email LOCI with a hard copy snail mail. Maybe I can just correct it in that version....

Just straight hardcopy. I had everyone in my family read multiple drafts, because (as I expressed your aspirations of perfection) everything to Harvard needs to zing. I was kind of bummed though because I didn't have a lot to update and didn't want to write the whole letter on my desire to (as my brother puts it) "blowbang" the students there. Really, I don't think it makes the big of a difference. You showed you were interested, it'd take something pretty amazing to pull you if you weren't already going to get pulled.

Thanks swampthang. So I should follow it up with a snail mail? I couldn't tell by your response. I'll correct it in this version without bringing attention to it.

swampthang

Postby swampthang » Thu May 13, 2010 3:59 pm

MeredithGrey wrote:
swampthang wrote:

Thanks swampthang. So I should follow it up with a snail mail? I couldn't tell by your response. I'll correct it in this version without bringing attention to it.

While first off, far be it from me to advise on what you *should* do (otherwise I wouldn't be languishing on the WL myself), but as I mentioned earlier, one LOR writer tried to email his letter only to be told that it needed to be snail mailed. I figure it's easier to ignore something on your computer screen than in your hands so I just go straight snail mail.

smov_operator

Postby smov_operator » Thu May 13, 2010 4:04 pm

swampthang wrote:
MeredithGrey wrote:
swampthang wrote:

While first off, far be it from me to advise on what you *should* do (otherwise I wouldn't be languishing on the WL myself), but as I mentioned earlier, one LOR writer tried to email his letter only to be told that it needed to be snail mailed. I figure it's easier to ignore something on your computer screen than in your hands so I just go straight snail mail.

Agreed. Attachments may not open, and loci's sent in body emails can look unprofessional or print weirdly, I think the safe, and best thing to do is to send just a hard copy.

swampthang

Postby swampthang » Thu May 13, 2010 4:10 pm

smov_operator wrote:Agreed. Attachments may not open, and loci's sent in body emails can look unprofessional or print weirdly, I think the safe, and best thing to do is to send just a hard copy.

Counter-point, just to play devil's advocate, mail gets lost, thrown away, spilled on, used by the homeless to fuel fires. I'm a little worried about the delivery aspect (which is why I wanted to hand deliver it the last time I visited), but I figure that if the USPS fails me in my moment of need, it's a sign of far bigger problems.

smov_operator

Postby smov_operator » Thu May 13, 2010 4:11 pm

swampthang wrote:
smov_operator wrote:Agreed. Attachments may not open, and loci's sent in body emails can look unprofessional or print weirdly, I think the safe, and best thing to do is to send just a hard copy.

Counter-point, just to play devil's advocate, mail gets lost, thrown away, spilled on, used by the homeless to fuel fires. I'm a little worried about the delivery aspect (which is why I wanted to hand deliver it the last time I visited), but I figure that if the USPS fails me in my moment of need, it's a sign of far bigger problems.

Hahaha I understand the paranoia. I overnighted mine, tracked shipping, and used delivery confirmation, if that is any small consolation.

swampthang

Postby swampthang » Thu May 13, 2010 4:13 pm

smov_operator wrote:
swampthang wrote:

Hahaha I understand the paranoia. I overnighted mine, tracked shipping, and used delivery confirmation, if that is any small consolation.

And that's why you're in and I'm not! Now you've got me wondering whether mine actually made it or not... :)

MeredithGrey

Postby MeredithGrey » Thu May 13, 2010 5:31 pm

so it's not overkill to mail a hard-copy of the exact same thing (with the "to" snuck in)? Maybe I'll get lucky and they'll replace the email w the hard copy. *sigh* like you said, it's not going to make or break me. I'm imperfect, maybe Harvard will appreciate that ( ha, yea right!). I basically said Harvard is my number one, I withdrew everywhere else, and will accept if offered a position without hesitation. I told them I'll be at Harvard for my MPH in the fall and am prepared to accept a position until the day classes begin. Good luck everyone! I hope more of us get in!

lta

Postby lta » Thu May 13, 2010 5:44 pm

MeredithGrey wrote:so it's not overkill to mail a hard-copy of the exact same thing (with the "to" snuck in)? Maybe I'll get lucky and they'll replace the email w the hard copy. *sigh* like you said, it's not going to make or break me. I'm imperfect, maybe Harvard will appreciate that ( ha, yea right!). I basically said Harvard is my number one, I withdrew everywhere else, and will accept if offered a position without hesitation. I told them I'll be at Harvard for my MPH in the fall and am prepared to accept a position until the day classes begin. Good luck everyone! I hope more of us get in!

me tooooo.

So, I guess no more acceptances this week?

Shelley Levene

Postby Shelley Levene » Thu May 13, 2010 5:50 pm

Doubt it. All the WL offers last week were probably to fill the class, assuming everyone accepted. Given that they still have a week to decide, unless someone has already rejected the offer, the class is still full. Purely surmising, though.

Can't we get smov_operator or someone to figure something out next time they call admissions?

adameus

Postby adameus » Thu May 13, 2010 6:07 pm

more spots will still open up. People will get off the WL at Yale and Stanford and choose to go there. Not to mention there are likely people with two deposits that may choose to not attend Harvard.

Core

Postby Core » Thu May 13, 2010 9:47 pm

Shelley Levene wrote:So annoying watching the "In at Harvard" thread getting bumped too so people can whine about housing.

YES!!!

someones alt

Postby someones alt » Thu May 13, 2010 10:38 pm

I'm betting there will be more invites going out tomorrow, as most people seem to still get JR1s on Friday. I think they spend most of the week picking out who those people will be, and then attempting to immediately snatch up some really good catches that were initially overlooked. /my theory

Illijah

Postby Illijah » Fri May 14, 2010 12:11 am

one of the truest statements on TLS

roundabout

Postby roundabout » Fri May 14, 2010 7:34 am

adameus wrote:more spots will still open up. People will get off the WL at Yale and Stanford and choose to go there. Not to mention there are likely people with two deposits that may choose to not attend Harvard.

Totes McGoats! I'm super excited to see TLSers get off the waitlist, not only for them (rock on, dudez) but because it makes me believe that the waitlist is something they actually use and there's still a chance.

FYI, I sent my LOCI yesterday (I was waiting on a work-related award I'd been nominated for- I won it! That was the only cool news I really had to share), and when I sent it as an attachment, they wrote back saying they couldn't accept attachments. I put it in the body of the email then. I haven't received any confirmation, though- if I don't hear anything towards the end of today, I guess I'm going to email or call tonight to check.

neimanmarxist

Postby neimanmarxist » Fri May 14, 2010 9:50 am

someones alt wrote:I'm betting there will be more invites going out tomorrow, as most people seem to still get JR1s on Friday. I think they spend most of the week picking out who those people will be, and then attempting to immediately snatch up some really good catches that were initially overlooked. /my theory

I appreciate your optimism, and hope you're right.

ShibaDan

Postby ShibaDan » Fri May 14, 2010 9:56 am

swampthang wrote:
def2104 wrote:I sent my second LOCI...all of these accepts while I'm happy for them, I can feel my soul dying a little each time. Every morning (I live in Asia) I wake up heart pounding, hoping for a JR1 e-mail. So when do we think this first wave is over? This week?

So true. What shall we do to pass the time and push down our angst? I tell myself that I only come on here for the social aspect.

Yeah, I tell myself it doesn't matter. I'm really happy with where I'm going, etc etc. But every once in a while I allow my brain to think what if....? And then there's that pang and small stomach flip. Sigh.

ShibaDan

Postby ShibaDan » Fri May 14, 2010 9:57 am

someones alt wrote:I'm betting there will be more invites going out tomorrow, as most people seem to still get JR1s on Friday. I think they spend most of the week picking out who those people will be, and then attempting to immediately snatch up some really good catches that were initially overlooked. /my theory

I really REALLY want this to be true. Also, someone else said that they think this wave is probably over...man I hope not. Having no movement from now till August would perhaps kill me.

blue5385

Postby blue5385 » Fri May 14, 2010 11:59 am

Came back from a few JR1-less days of not reading TLS to a wave of WL/acceptances. Congrats to everyone who got accepted, you guys are awesome... but I'm depressed that my already low chances of admission plummeted. :(

ferris1127

Postby ferris1127 » Sat May 15, 2010 12:39 am

swampthang wrote:
ferris1127 wrote:I am also a non-URM in off the waitlist with JR1/2 combo yesterday. Email to give a heads up for the interview came towards the end of last week...I am so thrilled! Best of luck to everyone!!!!

Congrats! I wonder, why WL if they're just going to turn around and accept days later? It strikes me as very surprising that JR1 emails went out last week, the first week of May. Certainly blows my earlier theory to bits.

P.S.- stats/profile? So we can speculate wildly about the sort of candidates they're pulling. Are you for sure going? How much time did he give you to decide?

Thank you very much! I am about at the 25% for LSAT and over 75% GPA. I am for sure going, and I have until May 25 to decide :) PM me with any other questions. The only thing I'm a little concerned about is housing and financial aid given the lateness, but I know I shouldn't complain about a thing. No whammies y'all, good luck!!!

allstarballer22

Postby allstarballer22 » Sat May 15, 2010 1:05 pm

New Wl/Admits...

Have you received any email/housing/financial aid anything from Harvard after your Jr1/Jr2's? I was told after my JR1 to expect an email since he told me I was in (Monday) and it has been quiet since. Am I alone?

Postby 20121109 » Sat May 15, 2010 2:55 pm

allstarballer22 wrote:New Wl/Admits...

Have you received any email/housing/financial aid anything from Harvard after your Jr1/Jr2's? I was told after my JR1 to expect an email since he told me I was in (Monday) and it has been quiet since. Am I alone?

You should probably post this in this thread viewtopic.php?f=7&t=96926

I wasn't a WL/admit, but still recently admitted on Tuesday...I just received my binder with all my information. There wasn't an email sent to my account before then.

/inconsiderate derail :oops:

Eureka10

Postby Eureka10 » Sun May 16, 2010 3:34 am

Hmmm. Seems quiet around here.

Has everyone given up?

Return to “Law School Acceptances, Denials, and Waitlists”