Harvard Waitlist 2010 Forum

Share Your Experiences, Read About Other Experiences. Please keep posts organized by school and expected year of graduation.
kmap

New

Re: Harvard Waitlist 2010

Post by kmap » Wed May 12, 2010 11:46 am

Unitas wrote:
kmap wrote:In today off the waitlist!!! Got a quick 5-minute call and an offer of admission. I'm non-URM with a 166 LSAT ... in your face, statistics!
wow, congrats when did you get the e-mail about the interview???
Yesterday morning, for a call this morning. I'm literally jumping out of my skin.

swampthang

Bronze

Post by swampthang » Wed May 12, 2010 11:48 am

kmap wrote:
Unitas wrote:
kmap wrote:In today off the waitlist!!! Got a quick 5-minute call and an offer of admission. I'm non-URM with a 166 LSAT ... in your face, statistics!
Yesterday morning, for a call this morning. I'm literally jumping out of my skin.
Wow, I would be, too. Mad congrats, especially with the LSAT. What did you have to compensate for that?

Unitas

Silver

Post by Unitas » Wed May 12, 2010 11:48 am

kmap wrote:
Unitas wrote:
Really, Congrats!! Thanks for coming and telling us too. :)

They must have loved you, any particular softs?

clintonius

Silver

Post by clintonius » Wed May 12, 2010 11:53 am

kmap wrote:
Unitas wrote:
That must sting.

kmap

New

Post by kmap » Wed May 12, 2010 11:55 am

swampthang wrote:
kmap wrote:
Unitas wrote:
Wow, I would be, too. Mad congrats, especially with the LSAT. What did you have to compensate for that?
I don't know exactly. 4.0 GPA from an Ivy League, some awards, a bunch of volunteer work, and a balls-to-the-wall personal story that was just as likely to fail as to succeed. Can't go into much more detail than that, I'm afraid, since it's highly personal. I guess I'm a better writer than I thought.

Want to continue reading?

Register now to search topics and post comments!

Absolutely FREE!

neimanmarxist

Bronze

Post by neimanmarxist » Wed May 12, 2010 11:58 am

impressive. Grats!

Illijah

Bronze

Post by Illijah » Wed May 12, 2010 12:08 pm

ok so theyre still offering JR1's this week.....i hope my card is pulled

Gold

Post by 20121109 » Wed May 12, 2010 12:40 pm

:shock: 166 LSAT, non-URM!! Your awesomeness must have slapped them in the face. MAJOR CONGRATS!!

<3

kmap

New

Post by kmap » Wed May 12, 2010 12:48 pm

GAIAtheCHEERLEADER wrote:
:shock: 166 LSAT, non-URM!! Your awesomeness must have slapped them in the face. MAJOR CONGRATS!!

<3
My advice is as follows: write letters of interest, send updated resumes and extra letters of recommendation. I stayed on their radar without being obnoxious or obsequious, and it appears to have worked. Communicate a passion and a commitment and don't let them forget about you.

Want to continue reading?

Register for access!

Did I mention it was FREE ?

NYC2013

New

Post by NYC2013 » Wed May 12, 2010 1:07 pm

I guess we should have expected mostly URMs to get in early of the WL, as I'm sure they lose a lot to Yale/Stanford and they need to fill out their diversity early. I'm surprised they are still sticking with GPA over LSAT (if the non-urm guy got in with a 4.0/166), given that they seem to have valued GPA higher all through the cycle. i guess with a 179/3.65, I was hoping they'd switch emphasis to LSAT off the WL.

either way, chances seem unlikely still that they'll dip much below 3.75 except for some URMs with high LSATs or very good softs. I guess I still have a small chance but I've pretty much given up on it and I'm pretty excited to be going to Columbia.

kmap

New

Post by kmap » Wed May 12, 2010 1:18 pm

NYC2013 wrote:I guess we should have expected mostly URMs to get in early of the WL, as I'm sure they lose a lot to Yale/Stanford and they need to fill out their diversity early. I'm surprised they are still sticking with GPA over LSAT (if the non-urm guy got in with a 4.0/166), given that they seem to have valued GPA higher all through the cycle. i guess with a 179/3.65, I was hoping they'd switch emphasis to LSAT off the WL.

either way, chances seem unlikely still that they'll dip much below 3.75 except for some URMs with high LSATs or very good softs. I guess I still have a small chance but I've pretty much given up on it and I'm pretty excited to be going to Columbia.
I'm a girl btw, not that it particularly matters.

novacuseville

New

Post by novacuseville » Wed May 12, 2010 1:29 pm

frankjones wrote:When you newly admitted folks say you had a JR1/JR2 combo, you mean you were admitted immediately during the first phone call, right? Or did that notification come afterwards, in the form of an email or another phone call?
combo...JR2 offered at the end of the JR1 call...combined

swampthang

Bronze

Post by swampthang » Wed May 12, 2010 1:30 pm

kmap wrote:
NYC2013 wrote:I guess we should have expected mostly URMs to get in early of the WL, as I'm sure they lose a lot to Yale/Stanford and they need to fill out their diversity early. I'm surprised they are still sticking with GPA over LSAT (if the non-urm guy got in with a 4.0/166), given that they seem to have valued GPA higher all through the cycle. i guess with a 179/3.65, I was hoping they'd switch emphasis to LSAT off the WL.

URM!!!

Or as the guys at the nude beach in Eurotrip put it, "Chicas?"

Register now!

Resources to assist law school applicants, students & graduates.

It's still FREE!

kmap

New

Post by kmap » Wed May 12, 2010 1:34 pm

swampthang wrote:
kmap wrote:

URM!!!

Or as the guys at the nude beach in Eurotrip put it, "Chicas?"
How is being female a URM? I haven't heard that anywhere except in business school.

neimanmarxist

Bronze

Post by neimanmarxist » Wed May 12, 2010 1:41 pm

i think that was, as the guys in Eurotrip would put it, un chiste.

frankjones

New

Post by frankjones » Wed May 12, 2010 3:23 pm

Just got in off the waitlist. JR1 and offer in the same call. 171/3.96 and very good softs. non-URM.

JollyGreenGiant

Silver

Post by JollyGreenGiant » Wed May 12, 2010 3:27 pm

And my world is crashing down. :(

Get unlimited access to all forums and topics

Register now!

I'm pretty sure I told you it's FREE...

bloodonthetracks

Bronze

Post by bloodonthetracks » Wed May 12, 2010 3:31 pm

i keep picturing that scene from schindler's list. "i could have done more...i could have done more!"

someones alt

Bronze

Post by someones alt » Wed May 12, 2010 3:33 pm

I am a 3.95+ and a 171, where is my JR1?! Also if you're reading this JR I will seriously overnight my tuition deposit.

JollyGreenGiant

Silver

Post by JollyGreenGiant » Wed May 12, 2010 3:34 pm

someones alt wrote:I am a 3.95+ and a 171, where is my JR1?! Also if you're reading this JR I will seriously overnight my tuition deposit.
+1 (except better LSAT :| )

Shelley Levene

New

Post by Shelley Levene » Wed May 12, 2010 3:36 pm

Yeah this is extremely depressing. Nice work by the people getting in, though.

Communicate now with those who not only know what a legal education is, but can offer you worthy advice and commentary as you complete the three most educational, yet challenging years of your law related post graduate life.

Register now, it's still FREE!

Shelley Levene

New

Post by Shelley Levene » Wed May 12, 2010 3:41 pm

I know they mentioned too in the WL FAQ about not being able to provide information about number of people on the waitlist, number of available spots, etc. I think they probably could give some pretty accurate numbers, though. We all understand that it's a fluid thing - there are late WDs, other random crap, etc, but I'm sure he's there's a number that could be nailed down for both # on waitlist and # of spots open.

Has anyone ever tried to call admissions and get a better feel for this?

someones alt

Bronze

Post by someones alt » Wed May 12, 2010 3:55 pm

Shelley Levene wrote:I know they mentioned too in the WL FAQ about not being able to provide information about number of people on the waitlist, number of available spots, etc. I think they probably could give some pretty accurate numbers, though. We all understand that it's a fluid thing - there are late WDs, other random crap, etc, but I'm sure he's there's a number that could be nailed down for both # on waitlist and # of spots open.

They could, but I doubt they would. Feel free to try though.

someones alt

Bronze

Post by someones alt » Wed May 12, 2010 3:56 pm

JollyGreenGiant wrote:
someones alt wrote:I am a 3.95+ and a 171, where is my JR1?! Also if you're reading this JR I will seriously overnight my tuition deposit.
+1 (except better LSAT :| )
If you have a 172+, you're not a retaker, and have reasonable softs then I think you have a strong chance. Don't lose hope. I'm sure there are a lot of spots that still need to be filled.

Shelley Levene

New

Post by Shelley Levene » Wed May 12, 2010 4:07 pm

someones alt wrote:
Shelley Levene wrote:I know they mentioned too in the WL FAQ about not being able to provide information about number of people on the waitlist, number of available spots, etc. I think they probably could give some pretty accurate numbers, though. We all understand that it's a fluid thing - there are late WDs, other random crap, etc, but I'm sure he's there's a number that could be nailed down for both # on waitlist and # of spots open.

They could, but I doubt they would. Feel free to try though.
No, I want someone who doesn't mind hurting their chances to do it.

WELL?

Seriously? What are you waiting for?

Now there's a charge.
Just kidding ... it's still FREE!

Return to “Law School Acceptances, Denials, and Waitlists”