Harvard Waitlist 2010

Share Your Experiences, Read About Other Experiences. Please keep posts organized by school and expected year of graduation.
JollyGreenGiant

Re: Harvard Waitlist 2010

Postby JollyGreenGiant » Mon May 10, 2010 10:51 pm

tony127 wrote:In off the waitlist, non-URM. I had my JR1 back in January I think. I'll be attending. 171/3.91

I'm guessing some pretty nice softs?

someones alt

Postby someones alt » Tue May 11, 2010 12:55 am

JollyGreenGiant wrote:
tony127 wrote:In off the waitlist, non-URM. I had my JR1 back in January I think. I'll be attending. 171/3.91

I'm guessing some pretty nice softs?

I am a snoop

http://lawschoolnumbers.com/tonymar127/jd

Seems pretty typical for a law school candidate. I think as far as WL goes its anyone's game. Though he could easily be leaving off his nobel prize and 4 generation H legacy.

jasmoon

Postby jasmoon » Tue May 11, 2010 1:01 pm

I just got in!!!
I was held in January w/o a JR1 and WL'ed in April. I never sent in any additional materials.

Hasn't quite sunk in yet.

Postby 20121109 » Tue May 11, 2010 1:03 pm

jasmoon wrote:I just got in!!!
I was held in January w/o a JR1 and WL'ed in April. I never sent in any additional materials.

Hasn't quite sunk in yet.

Wait...

Jasmoon! I just wrote on your LSN about them letting you IN!!

WE'RE GONNA BE CLASSMATES!!!!!

<3

grrrstick

Postby grrrstick » Tue May 11, 2010 1:05 pm

Congrats to the recent admits. It looks like HLS had a rough time with the URMs they outright admitted. Any more JR1 emails this week?

CoaltoNewCastle

Postby CoaltoNewCastle » Tue May 11, 2010 1:36 pm

If this week is AA and PR week, I hope next week is Jew week or neurological diseases week. Or maybe rugby week. Congrats on all these admittances.

grrrstick

Postby grrrstick » Tue May 11, 2010 1:38 pm

CoaltoNewCastle wrote:If this week is AA and PR week, I hope next week is Jew week or neurological diseases week. Or maybe rugby week. Congrats on all these admittances.

We all know Harvard needs a few more Jews and WASPs.

of Benito Cereno

Postby of Benito Cereno » Tue May 11, 2010 1:50 pm

Last edited by of Benito Cereno on Mon May 17, 2010 7:40 am, edited 1 time in total.

swampthang

Postby swampthang » Tue May 11, 2010 2:17 pm

CoaltoNewCastle wrote:If this week is AA and PR week, I hope next week is Jew week or neurological diseases week. Or maybe rugby week. Congrats on all these admittances.

Did you not write how you're confident your experience will allow you to tackle any challenges head on?

Unitas

Postby Unitas » Tue May 11, 2010 2:21 pm

Well, I've sent my last LOCI sometime in the last week... Wondering if they are doing waves or is it probably over?..... They have added quite a few TLSers in the last few days.

swampthang

Postby swampthang » Tue May 11, 2010 2:27 pm

Unitas wrote:Well, I've sent my last LOCI sometime in the last week... Wondering if they are doing waves or is it probably over?..... They have added quite a few TLSers in the last few days.

Ya, but all URMs, right? Or mostly? That's all I've seen on TLS so far. It's like there's an amount of spots they need to fill with URMs, and if you're not one, you're not really competing for a spot out of that pool anyway. It's still early. I wouldn't imagine JR emails going out for mainstream applicants until late this or next week at the earliest. From what I hear, sounds like HYS are being a little slower about going to the WL this year. Not to imply there will be less spots, just they're waiting a little longer to assess. But of course, silly speculation.

swampthang

Passing the Time

Postby swampthang » Tue May 11, 2010 2:31 pm

Additional LORs/LOCIs have ___ effect.

a. Positive, depending on how big of a pimp your writer is/you are, but can't hurt too much since it shows interest.
b. Positive, but only if you recently cured AIDS, cancer, and heartbreak all in one day.
c. No
d. Negative, don't be a WL freakshow.

Discuss.

Postby 20121109 » Tue May 11, 2010 2:33 pm

swampthang wrote:
Unitas wrote:Well, I've sent my last LOCI sometime in the last week... Wondering if they are doing waves or is it probably over?..... They have added quite a few TLSers in the last few days.

Ya, but all URMs, right? Or mostly? That's all I've seen on TLS so far. It's like there's an amount of spots they need to fill with URMs, and if you're not one, you're not really competing for a spot out of that pool anyway. It's still early. I wouldn't imagine JR emails going out for mainstream applicants until late this or next week at the earliest. From what I hear, sounds like HYS are being a little slower about going to the WL this year. Not to imply there will be less spots, just they're waiting a little longer to assess. But of course, silly speculation.

A few non-URMs with JR1s got JR2s recently. Good luck guys!!!

<3

Unitas

Postby Unitas » Tue May 11, 2010 2:36 pm

GAIAtheCHEERLEADER wrote:
swampthang wrote:

A few non-URMs with JR1s got JR2s recently. Good luck guys!!!

<3

Congrats GAIA!!

Who non-urms besides the one guy, who is sorta URM with gay status?

Sakura3210

Re: Passing the Time

Postby Sakura3210 » Tue May 11, 2010 2:38 pm

swampthang wrote:Additional LORs/LOCIs have ___ effect.

a. Positive, depending on how big of a pimp your writer is/you are, but can't hurt too much since it shows interest.
b. Positive, but only if you recently cured AIDS, cancer, and heartbreak all in one day.
c. No

Discuss.

f. an effect depending on how much the school already likes you.

Honestly, after seeing people get accepted without ever sending in a LOCI, while people who sent them in get rejected, I've decided the effect is there only if they already ladore you (and recently had a space for you in their class open up).

swampthang

Postby swampthang » Tue May 11, 2010 2:44 pm

Sakura3210 wrote:

c. No

Discuss.

Honestly, after seeing people get accepted without ever sending in a LOCI, while people who sent them in get rejected, I've decided the effect is there only if they already ladore you (and recently had a space for you in their class open up).

So essenitally c. No, since they're mind's pretty much made up and anything letter from you just adds to what they already feel?

Sakura3210

Postby Sakura3210 » Tue May 11, 2010 2:50 pm

swampthang wrote:
Sakura3210 wrote:

c. No

Discuss.

So essenitally c. No, since they're mind's pretty much made up and anything letter from you just adds to what they already feel?

Not quite, b/c if they have two people they equally love, with similar numbers, one might get in over the other thanks to the LOCI. But if one is loved, say, 40%less, a LOCI still may not get them over the 100% loved person who didn't send anything in (even with similar/slightly better numbers).

swampthang

Postby swampthang » Tue May 11, 2010 3:00 pm

Sakura3210 wrote:Not quite, b/c if they have two people they equally love, with similar numbers, one might get in over the other thanks to the LOCI. But if one is loved, say, 40%less, a LOCI still may not get them over the 100% loved person who didn't send anything in (even with similar/slightly better numbers).

So, somewhere between a. Positive and c. No? That is to say, it can't hurt (d.) and it could even be helpful?

justbluemyself

Postby justbluemyself » Tue May 11, 2010 3:00 pm

I was just admitted off the WL through a combined JR1/JR2. I was held in March, and sent a LOCI and an additional LOR at that point. I'm not a URM and my numbers are subpar for Harvard, so I can only assume the Fulbright (which focused on legal literacy) got my foot in the door.

I am completely ecstatic; I never would have imagined myself in this position, and I'm so fortunate and grateful and excited!

This should give the non-URMs a glimmer of hope...

Postby 20121109 » Tue May 11, 2010 3:03 pm

justbluemyself wrote:I was just admitted off the WL through a combined JR1/JR2. I was held in March, and sent a LOCI and an additional LOR at that point. I'm not a URM and my numbers are subpar for Harvard, so I can only assume the Fulbright (which focused on legal literacy) got my foot in the door.

I am completely ecstatic; I never would have imagined myself in this position, and I'm so fortunate and grateful and excited!

CONGRATULATIONS!!!!!!!!!!!

<3

Unitas

Postby Unitas » Tue May 11, 2010 3:04 pm

justbluemyself wrote:I was just admitted off the WL through a combined JR1/JR2. I was held in March, and sent a LOCI and an additional LOR at that point. I'm not a URM and my numbers are subpar for Harvard, so I can only assume the Fulbright (which focused on legal literacy) got my foot in the door.

Congrats. :shock: On both the Fulbright and HLS.
When did you get the JR1 e-mail if I may ask?

swampthang

Postby swampthang » Tue May 11, 2010 3:08 pm

Combined JR1/2? Did an email precede the call? Congrats!!! When did you get your WL notification? Did you only send something in for the Hold or just the WL? Again, congrats on the acceptance- that's quite an accomplishment!

justbluemyself

Postby justbluemyself » Tue May 11, 2010 3:17 pm

swampthang wrote:

Combined JR1/2? Did an email precede the call? Congrats!!! When did you get your WL notification? Did you only send something in for the Hold or just the WL? Again, congrats on the acceptance- that's quite an accomplishment!

I got the email on Friday, and I had the call this morning at 11:15 am. It lasted 7 minutes and 27 seconds. Questions were: Why law school? Why Harvard? How does HLS factor into your decision-making? ("there is no wrong answer", I guess he reads the boards.) Did I have any questions?

I can't remember how he phrased the JR2 because I think I hyperventilated for about 30 seconds. He did say I would get two weeks to make my final decision.

I was waitlisted a few weeks ago? Maybe three weeks?

I send the LOCI for the hold, and an additional LOR after I was waitlisted. The LOR was from a fairly prominent academic in my field who frequently works with Harvard, so I think it might have helped a bit.

of Benito Cereno

Postby of Benito Cereno » Tue May 11, 2010 3:18 pm

you definitely must be pretty cool because you easily have some of the lowest numbers of any non-urm admit I've seen at hls. I mean that as a serious compliment. Especially at such a numbers-centric school you clearly must have blown them away.

adameus

Postby adameus » Tue May 11, 2010 3:42 pm

congrats dude! are you going to ride out the American WL or do you think you'll just decide to attend harvard?

Return to “Law School Acceptances, Denials, and Waitlists”