Harvard Waitlist 2010 Forum

Share Your Experiences, Read About Other Experiences. Please keep posts organized by school and expected year of graduation.
ShibaDan

Bronze

Re: Harvard Waitlist 2010

Post by ShibaDan » Fri Apr 23, 2010 9:29 pm

chanchito wrote:def LOCI, not LOR

Does anyone know what percentage of people get in from the waitlist?
I would imagine the percentage would vary depending on how many people elect to stay on it, but someone said that from years past there were about 8 people who got off on LSN.

someones alt

Bronze

Post by someones alt » Sat Apr 24, 2010 4:00 am

def2104 wrote:
chanchito wrote:def LOCI, not LOR

Does anyone know what percentage of people get in from the waitlist?
I would imagine the percentage would vary depending on how many people elect to stay on it, but someone said that from years past there were about 8 people who got off on LSN.
Well from looking at last years LSN, just about as many people report a waitlist as we do this year, and 13 profiles list themselves as a WL/accept. I think the total number reporting some kind of waitlist from last year on LSN is close to 150, but I'm counting people who are WL/reject and WL/withdrawn. The people accepted off the waitlist make it seem like it could happen for just about anyone, regardless of your softs/numbers.

Unitas

Silver

Post by Unitas » Sat Apr 24, 2010 10:07 am

HLS Admission Blog wrote:10. Be active on the waitlist

If you find yourself on the waitlist, you should update your file with fall or spring semester grades if you are still in school. You should remove yourself from the waitlist if you have made plans to attend another law school. If you are not admitted to your top choice and your interest in attending remains through your first year at another law school, consider applying as a transfer applicant.
Just thought I would share this with everyone on the list. After reading this (again) today, I will send in an additional LOR with my LOCI and spring grades in early may. I can't imagine I have a lot to lose, but I have a lot to gain by showing I didn't slack during my last semester and so forth. Plus, I've gotten to know a professor very well, better than all my LORs before.

I really wish I could think of something great to do; like the girl who sent M&Ms with her name on them. That was just an awesome idea. No one would throw away M&Ms, and it would be a constant reminder until they were all gone.

chanchito

Bronze

Post by chanchito » Sat Apr 24, 2010 11:09 am

haha did she get in? I would find it kind of weird...
remember don't eat candy from strangers!! :wink:

Unitas

Silver

Post by Unitas » Sat Apr 24, 2010 11:20 am

chanchito wrote:haha did she get in? I would find it kind of weird...
remember don't eat candy from strangers!! :wink:
IIRC it was princeton UG and yes she got in off the waitlist.

It would have to be cheap and add recognition.

Want to continue reading?

Register now to search topics and post comments!

Absolutely FREE!

Illijah

Bronze

Post by Illijah » Sat Apr 24, 2010 1:59 pm

I really feel that no LOR or LOCI could move your application from WL ->A at Harvard....at most it just displays your still interested

chanchito

Bronze

Post by chanchito » Sat Apr 24, 2010 2:05 pm

well yeah it's not mandatory I guess
but might as well try a little :|

someones alt

Bronze

Post by someones alt » Sat Apr 24, 2010 4:51 pm

Illijah wrote:I really feel that no LOR or LOCI could move your application from WL ->A at Harvard....at most it just displays your still interested
Seconded, but we still do it because we want to fulfill the illusion that we have efficacy in the decision

Dtackpat75

Bronze

Post by Dtackpat75 » Mon Apr 26, 2010 8:40 am

Does it make sense to send one if you already sent a LOCI and additional LOR after being Held? I really don't have anything to update them on.

Want to continue reading?

Register for access!

Did I mention it was FREE ?

Unitas

Silver

Post by Unitas » Mon Apr 26, 2010 8:47 am

Dtackpat75 wrote:Does it make sense to send one if you already sent a LOCI and additional LOR after being Held? I really don't have anything to update them on.
If you don't have new information I can't imagine what you would say (except noted below)... I am going to update them on my spring semester GPA and the change in my LSDAS GPA because of it and some more awards I won. I may also send another LOR from a spring professor I had for a few classes that is evaluating my research project. It won't be published for a while...

They already know we all love them. If you were willing to commit to attend off the waitlist that may be worth noting, because they may see you more serious than others. But you would have to set a deadline of some sort, so they can’t call you the day before classes start and offer you a seat that you committed to accept.

ShibaDan

Bronze

Post by ShibaDan » Mon Apr 26, 2010 9:45 am

Unitas wrote:
Dtackpat75 wrote:Does it make sense to send one if you already sent a LOCI and additional LOR after being Held? I really don't have anything to update them on.
If you don't have new information I can't imagine what you would say (except noted below)... I am going to update them on my spring semester GPA and the change in my LSDAS GPA because of it and some more awards I won. I may also send another LOR from a spring professor I had for a few classes that is evaluating my research project. It won't be published for a while...

They already know we all love them. If you were willing to commit to attend off the waitlist that may be worth noting, because they may see you more serious than others. But you would have to set a deadline of some sort, so they can’t call you the day before classes start and offer you a seat that you committed to accept.
I'm just going to tell them again how into them I am...and I'm sending a 5th LOR. Damn...you'd think 4 would be enough. But I think at this point it's probably important they know you want them.

bloodonthetracks

Bronze

Post by bloodonthetracks » Mon Apr 26, 2010 11:42 am

def2104 wrote:
Unitas wrote:

I'm just going to tell them again how into them I am...and I'm sending a 5th LOR. Damn...you'd think 4 would be enough. But I think at this point it's probably important they know you want them.
This seems excessive. Remember what the email says: "If you are able and interested in accepting an offer of admission from Harvard Law School over the summer, you should remain on the wait-list. No action is required to do so." In other words, if you are staying on the waitlist, HLS knows you want to go there.

blue5385

Silver

Post by blue5385 » Mon Apr 26, 2010 11:43 am

just to inject some hope into this thread, there were two acceptance/withdrawals on LSN over the last couple days. :)

Register now!

Resources to assist law school applicants, students & graduates.

It's still FREE!

CoaltoNewCastle

Bronze

Post by CoaltoNewCastle » Mon Apr 26, 2010 12:17 pm

Unitas wrote:
Dtackpat75 wrote:Does it make sense to send one if you already sent a LOCI and additional LOR after being Held? I really don't have anything to update them on.[/quote

I guess this is my major advantage. If July comes and I'm still on the waitlist, I'm email them telling them that Northwestern is making me defer for a year so Harvard could call me as late as they want and I'd be able to go.

dawson1234

New

Post by dawson1234 » Mon Apr 26, 2010 1:50 pm

Has anyone gone to visit after being waitlisted? I called admissions today to ask if I could speak with someone in the office if I came to check out the school and they pretty much shut me down. They said someone would be able to answer general questions, but would not discuss my specific application or "do anything that resembles an interview".... le sigh

swampthang

Bronze

Post by swampthang » Mon Apr 26, 2010 2:02 pm

dawson1234 wrote:Has anyone gone to visit after being waitlisted? I called admissions today to ask if I could speak with someone in the office if I came to check out the school and they pretty much shut me down. They said someone would be able to answer general questions, but would not discuss my specific application or "do anything that resembles an interview".... le sigh
Sames. Had a current student friend make an anon inquiry for me and they said "sorry, Charlie" on that regard. Still, for me, a visit is a must, just to see if I really can say that it is my #1. No point pretending it is if it ain't!

Unitas

Silver

Post by Unitas » Mon Apr 26, 2010 7:06 pm

A few people withdrew on LSN today... Yey? 8)

Get unlimited access to all forums and topics

Register now!

I'm pretty sure I told you it's FREE...

chanchito

Bronze

Post by chanchito » Tue Apr 27, 2010 6:19 pm

Definite yay!

bloodonthetracks

Bronze

Post by bloodonthetracks » Tue Apr 27, 2010 6:42 pm

Unitas wrote:A few people withdrew on LSN today... Yey? 8)
remember that all law schools over-accept in the first place. dozens of people could withdraw without a single "waitlist spot" opening up.

Unitas

Silver

Post by Unitas » Tue Apr 27, 2010 6:54 pm

bloodonthetracks wrote:
remember that all law schools over-accept in the first place. dozens of people could withdraw without a single "waitlist spot" opening up.
I know.. Probably closer to 200 would need to withdraw.. They accept 800 for a 600 or so class, right?

bloodonthetracks

Bronze

Post by bloodonthetracks » Tue Apr 27, 2010 6:57 pm

Unitas wrote:
bloodonthetracks wrote:
I know.. Probably closer to 200 would need to withdraw.. They accept 800 for a 600 or so class, right?
i don't know the exact figure--but 800 is a bit more than i expected. i just meant dozens of LSN users (small sample size) could withdraw without suggesting that waitlist spots are opening up.

Communicate now with those who not only know what a legal education is, but can offer you worthy advice and commentary as you complete the three most educational, yet challenging years of your law related post graduate life.

Register now, it's still FREE!

Illijah

Bronze

Post by Illijah » Tue Apr 27, 2010 6:59 pm

bloodonthetracks wrote:

I was under the impression they replaced students with similar students.....so if your not a run of the mill applicant (ie. URM, NT etc...) then there may only need to be 5-10 people to withdraw for your spot....

For example...I know theres not 200 black males ahead of me in the wait list line....probably not even 20

snowmonkey

New

Post by snowmonkey » Tue Apr 27, 2010 7:22 pm

Yes but what I think they're saying is that they over-admit everyone of all types. You wouldn't need 200 people to withdraw, no, but they may not be dipping into the wait list for a long time... until enough people withdraw to bring the class down to 600-ish.

swampthang

Bronze

Post by swampthang » Wed Apr 28, 2010 10:01 am

blue5385 wrote:
CoaltoNewCastle wrote:
swampthang wrote:
At least we know what to expect! Essentially, if you're not in by June, thanks for playing.

I wouldn't say this. On LSN last year, five people were accepted off the waitlist in May, one in June, two in July, and three in August. So almost half were accepted after June.
one reason to expect some pulls from the waitlist after June is that it seems unlikely Harvard has a problem with yield & would mainly pull from the waitlist because theirs was lower than expected. My guess is that most WL ---> admits are probably the result of an outright admit who accepted choosing to defer at some point in the summer...and really, that can happen anytime before class starts.
Deferral definitely would throw some wrenches in the work and make later acceptances likely, however, I will refer you all to Asha's latest blog entry from which I quote, "Generally, the bulk of our wait list activity, if we have any at all, will take place around our deposit deadline... I would say that usually our class is stable by the end of May."

Y'all can make arguments about different WL dynamics due to the vast differences in size, but I think as a general principle it would stand to reason that if you're not in by June, your chances are probably quite slim.

To distract us from this unpleasant reality, I started two polls! One is opinion based about whether it's better or not to have a JR1 on the WL (an oft discussed topic on these interwebs), and the other asks which law school you will be ecstaic to attend this fall if Big H doesn't come through. Happy waiting!

CoaltoNewCastle

Bronze

Post by CoaltoNewCastle » Wed Apr 28, 2010 11:15 am

swampthang wrote:
blue5385 wrote:
CoaltoNewCastle wrote:
swampthang wrote:
At least we know what to expect! Essentially, if you're not in by June, thanks for playing.

I wouldn't say this. On LSN last year, five people were accepted off the waitlist in May, one in June, two in July, and three in August. So almost half were accepted after June.
one reason to expect some pulls from the waitlist after June is that it seems unlikely Harvard has a problem with yield & would mainly pull from the waitlist because theirs was lower than expected. My guess is that most WL ---> admits are probably the result of an outright admit who accepted choosing to defer at some point in the summer...and really, that can happen anytime before class starts.
Deferral definitely would throw some wrenches in the work and make later acceptances likely, however, I will refer you all to Asha's latest blog entry from which I quote, "Generally, the bulk of our wait list activity, if we have any at all, will take place around our deposit deadline... I would say that usually our class is stable by the end of May."

Y'all can make arguments about different WL dynamics due to the vast differences in size, but I think as a general principle it would stand to reason that if you're not in by June, your chances are probably quite slim.
Sure, you can say all this, but pretty much every year on LSN there are waitlist admits in July and later. There may not be this year because of the new dean, but I doubt the factors that lead to these July admits are going to change for the worse. If anything, maybe more people will defer because of the bad economy.

Seriously? What are you waiting for?

Now there's a charge.
Just kidding ... it's still FREE!

Return to “Law School Acceptances, Denials, and Waitlists”