Re-applying next cycle? What are you doing in the meantime?

Share Your Experiences, Read About Other Experiences. Please keep posts organized by school and expected year of graduation.
Z3RO

Re-applying next cycle? What are you doing in the meantime?

Postby Z3RO » Sat Apr 17, 2010 12:01 am

Some people might volunteer or try to paralegal, but me? If I don't get in by the end of the month, I'm going to withdraw from my waitlists, buy a brand new computer, play SC2, and wait until next year.

Anybody else in the position of not getting in? What're you gonna do to console yourself in the meantime?

hellokitty

Re: Re-applying next cycle? What are you doing in the meantime?

Postby hellokitty » Sat Apr 17, 2010 12:04 am

99% sure at this point that I'm reapplying next cycle. I'm going to spend my days at Starbucks studying and enjoying my favorite drink, a Skinny Vanilla Latte. I'll probably try to get a job, maybe or maybe not. I want to do some volunteer work and make sure all of my application essays are perfect. I want to travel, get a few tattoos, read all the books I haven't had the time to read before, visit friends in far away places, and just breathe.
:)

r6_philly

Postby r6_philly » Sat Apr 17, 2010 12:16 am

Unless Harvard calls or something that dramatic in the next few weeks, I will have to seriously consider reapplying. I have a couple of things that I want to finalize before I can commit to waiting a year. I am already accepted into the MS program at my university and have a research project/thesis topic picked out for me by the department. I have been offered an assistantship as well so tuition will be free. I have an interview for a much better fellowship (stipend is much higher) next week which would be hard to turn down. Have a couple of teaching positions that I am waiting on. I'd rather not get a day job because it will be hard to fit a full time job and graduate classes, teaching would be much better.

I do like what hellokitty suggested. I want to take a couple of trips, get a few more tattoos (I have a really cool design idea going). And do better next cycle.

ctjourno1

Postby ctjourno1 » Sat Apr 17, 2010 12:21 am

I'm guessing you guys taking the year off to spend in Starbucks are just coming out of school? I don't know how not holding a full-time job will look on your apps. Also, I fully support taking the time off, but how long can you stay on your parents' health insurance? I'm also thinking about reapplying next cycle, but can't stop working lest I get stricken with some avian/swine/newanimal flu or get hit by a bus.
But what's a year of scrapping by if it means getting into a top ls?

thickfreakness

Postby thickfreakness » Sat Apr 17, 2010 12:22 am

I took a year off after applying last cycle (when I would've been straight through UG). Probably the best decision of my academic career. Going through an employment search in summer/early fall of 2009, in the teeth of the recession, was incredibly humbling and really tested my resilience and made me re-evaluate a lot of things. Tons of personal growth from that experience. Working a year out of undergrad has gotten me used to performing well consistently on someone else's time, not just when I feel like it or want to (which is what I did in undergrad, even though I worked part time). I've had the opportunity to establish myself financially a little bit (though not enough to make any tangible difference for law school), which has been very fulfilling and useful. If you're coming straight through UG I think there's a massive benefit in taking a year or two to work and get some "real world" experience. I'm definitely extremely excited to get back in a classroom setting, whereas before I was a bit uneasy about plowing through 3 more years of school without a break.

I will say that in my year off I retook my LSAT and substantially changed my law school trajectory. However, I would have been fine had I not improved at all and gone to one of the schools I was originally considering.

hellokitty

Postby hellokitty » Sat Apr 17, 2010 12:23 am

ctjourno1 wrote:I'm guessing you guys taking the year off to spend in Starbucks are just coming out of school? I don't know how not holding a full-time job will look on your apps. Also, I fully support taking the time off, but how long can you stay on your parents' health insurance? I'm also thinking about reapplying next cycle, but can't stop working lest I get stricken with some avian/swine/newanimal flu or get hit by a bus.
But what's a year of scrapping by if it means getting into a top ls?

I'm going to look for a job, but more than likely it won't be anything that's gonna look too awesome on a law school app, even if I find one. I can stay on my parent's health insurance I'm pretty sure until I'm 26. I'll graduate in May. Hopefully, I can at least volunteer somewhere teaching English. We will see.

Z3RO

Postby Z3RO » Sat Apr 17, 2010 12:25 am

I will mention that at this point I'm 2 years after graduating, so it's not like I'm deciding to take a year between undergrad and law school.

I agree with the guy saying that your best bet is full-time employment. I feel like my resume was already lack-luster, and working part time would be the kiss of death.

tommytahoe

Postby tommytahoe » Sat Apr 17, 2010 1:04 am

I am also thinking hard about re-applying in October. I am getting subpar responses: a product of a 163/3.8, early-/mid-January applications, and a big boom in nationwide applications.
I have imagined what I might do. I am a 37-year-old non-trad, who has come back to college and graduates in June. But all experience I have (outside of strong writing and people skills) is as a waiter, plus a year of college journalism.
My age made me want to get into law school NOW, but I also know I could absolutely put myself to good work with the extra time off. Working, a LOT of reading, travel if at all possible.

The distinction is between what to do in the 14 months off, and what to do in the 3 months from the time I (hypothetically) pull out of this cycle and the time I would re-apply in October 2011. So, there is only so much WE I can achieve to wow adcomms. I have been doing a lot of extra volunteer/student group activity in this, my final semester, and I hope to be a waiter/intern starting this August —IF I decide to re-apply.

My point is: to the extent that I get better results in a newer cycle, it will be from an October 2010 LSAT re-take. After I get my applications in EARLY this time, I would have almost a year to fill my life up with a lot of shit.

r6_philly

Postby r6_philly » Sat Apr 17, 2010 1:25 am

tommytahoe wrote:I am also thinking hard about re-applying in October. I am getting subpar responses: a product of a 163/3.8, early-/mid-January applications, and a big boom in nationwide applications.
I have imagined what I might do. I am a 37-year-old non-trad, who has come back to college and graduates in June. But all experience I have (outside of strong writing and people skills) is as a waiter, plus a year of college journalism.
My age made me want to get into law school NOW, but I also know I could absolutely put myself to good work with the extra time off. Working, a LOT of reading, travel if at all possible.

The distinction is between what to do in the 14 months off, and what to do in the 3 months from the time I (hypothetically) pull out of this cycle and the time I would re-apply in October 2011. So, there is only so much WE I can achieve to wow adcomms. I have been doing a lot of extra volunteer/student group activity in this, my final semester, and I hope to be a waiter/intern starting this August —IF I decide to re-apply.

My point is: to the extent that I get better results in a newer cycle, it will be from an October 2010 LSAT re-take. After I get my applications in EARLY this time, I would have almost a year to fill my life up with a lot of shit.

Our age we can't change. Our LSAT we can. If you spend 3 month doing nothing but preparing for the test, you should be able to raise your score. I think that would have the highest reward ratio out of all the things you could do. I think if you are going to commit 3 years at our age, you make it count or don't do it. Settling for a law school you don't want to go to and getting in debt for it is the last thing to consider.

tommytahoe

Postby tommytahoe » Sat Apr 17, 2010 1:30 am

r6_philly wrote:
tommytahoe wrote:I am also thinking hard about re-applying in October. I am getting subpar responses: a product of a 163/3.8, early-/mid-January applications, and a big boom in nationwide applications.

The distinction is between what to do in the 14 months off, and what to do in the 3 months from the time I (hypothetically) pull out of this cycle and the time I would re-apply in October 2010. So, there is only so much WE I can achieve to wow adcomms. I have been doing a lot of extra volunteer/student group activity in this, my final semester, and I hope to be a waiter/intern starting this August —IF I decide to re-apply.

Our age we can't change. Our LSAT we can. If you spend 3 month doing nothing but preparing for the test, you should be able to raise your score. I think that would have the highest reward ratio out of all the things you could do. I think if you are going to commit 3 years at our age, you make it count or don't do it. Settling for a law school you don't want to go to and getting in debt for it is the last thing to consider.

Good points. If —IF— I decide to re-apply, that is exactly what I had in mind. I will see how this crazy cycle turns out.

Return to “Law School Acceptances, Denials, and Waitlists”