Smartphone during law school/career?

Share Your Experiences, Read About Other Experiences. Please keep posts organized by school and expected year of graduation.
rockstar4488

Re: Smartphone during law school/career?

Postby rockstar4488 » Fri Apr 16, 2010 5:16 pm

Motorolla Razr. Thats how I roll.

de5igual

Postby de5igual » Fri Apr 16, 2010 7:42 pm

Mattalones wrote:
f0bolous wrote:switched from the blackberry to the iphone. minus the whole not getting work email part, life is better.

People keep saying this, but you can set up the iPhone to do anything with mail. You just have to put in the information.

The iPhone also does all of the live sync stuff with contacts and calendars that the google phones do. Don't take advice on this being true only if you get a google phone b/c it is false. The only difference is that you have to take 10min to set it up on the iPhone, rather than having it already done for you on a google phone. Not a big deal in my experience.

You can see for yourself if you want (the iPad also does this): http://www.google.com/sync/iphone.html

people keep saying it because it's true. Most large corporations have invested millions in the blackberry enterprise server, and they are unlikely to switch to any other platform anytime in the forseeable future. As a result, blackberries will always have an edge over the iPhone in a corporate setting.

Lawl Shcool

Postby Lawl Shcool » Fri Apr 16, 2010 7:49 pm

IMO, the iPhone is THE smartphone

Nicholasnickynic

Postby Nicholasnickynic » Fri Apr 16, 2010 9:57 pm

barrydukakis wrote:Just throwing an alternative out there for those that don't want to spend exorbitant amounts on a data plan.

If you have AT&T and buy an unlocked smart phone, then it is very cheap for unlimited data. I have unlimited data for $10 currently, and paid 200$ for a very nice, unlocked Nokia E71 on dell. It has walk and drive navigation free, does everything the newer phones do minus a touch screen, and is overall an incredibly useful phone. Even better, with my $10 unlimited plan, I am able to tether it to my netbook via bluetooth and use 3g internet whenever I need to.

Massive savings over iphone/blackberry/typical data plans
+
Great phone with navigation and all the bells and whistles... incredibly attractive brushed metal casing that everyone loves
+
bluetooth tethering
=
The best, for the price, phone and plan that one can buy.

NOTE, the E71 is now well over $300 on Dell, wait and it will likely come down.

Web browsing experience isn't the greatest, but it isn't bad either, and it does everything I need it to.

O.o sounds good

Where did you get a $10 data plan? How much is your calling plan?

I hate that droid and Iphone are both $75 for calling+texting+data. Its bs

viking138

Postby viking138 » Fri Apr 16, 2010 10:21 pm

I just want to second what someone already said about blackberries for email and texting. I use mine almost solely for communication: text, instant messaging, email, and phone. It works really well for that. I can also easily do a quick web search for an address or number of a person/place/company. Best interface? No, but it gets the job done. I also use the scheduler with which I have no complaints.

If you don't plan on using the internet much then a blackberry is really handy and no-fuss. Of course I just can't stand touch screen keyboards (personal preference) so I'm biased against most of the phones mentioned here.

*Edit: I also have an all inclusive data plan for web browsing, texting, emailing, IMing for $35 a month which I think is fairly decent.

jasonac21

Postby jasonac21 » Fri Apr 16, 2010 10:31 pm

f0bolous wrote:
jasonac21 wrote:
Mattalones wrote:ACTUALLY, if you are thinking about getting a smartphone, it will probably be better to wait and see what comes out in the summer. That is generally when phones come out. Apple usually puts out new iPhones in June and other manufacturers will be around that time as well. Given that you won't actually need it till the Fall, waiting will probably be doable.

This. I'd wait until the new iPhone comes out, June I think, then wait one more month to see if Google responds. I'm loving this competition between Google and Apple now. I'm not sure why anyone would go with anything besides the Nexus One or the iPhone at this point (maybe the Droid if you like a physical keyboard).

the new iphone is just a software update

Well, why they already showed off the new software, I'm sure the new iPhone will not just be the 3GS with that new software. It will likely have a faster processor, higher resolution screen, better battery life, etc. Why would they release a "new" phone, that has no updates, in June with just already announced software?

mailmanstalker

Postby mailmanstalker » Fri Apr 16, 2010 10:32 pm

Kchuck wrote:I'm going to be 'that guy'.

The Iphone is the absolute best smart phone out on the market. It works incredibly and life is meaningless without it. Done and Done.

++++++1

rickter

Postby rickter » Sat Apr 17, 2010 12:14 am

The iPhone made the game what it is, and it's great and all, but seriously: Evo 4G

Jrep37

Postby Jrep37 » Sat Apr 17, 2010 9:05 am

Yea the evo looks good and all but what good is a ferari(sp?) on a 1/10 of a mile dirt road? (Aka sprint) the 4g network will only be available for like 3 cities And on top of that it'll be buggy and slower than advertised just like all first generation anythings. Did i mention sprint sucks? It's last for a reason. Palm pre couldn't save it And neither will the evo. SN: my girl friend just bought a pre late November. It crapped out her last month. Went to sprint to get a warranty exchange. Guess what they gave her? A refurb! She hadn't even had the phone for 6 months yet. And the "new" phone came with a 30 day warranty. when I had a problem with my iPhone I went to apple and they gave me a brand spanking new one with the remaining warranty from my original phone !

Tweek

Postby Tweek » Sat Apr 17, 2010 11:07 am

jasonac21 wrote:
f0bolous wrote:
jasonac21 wrote:
Mattalones wrote:ACTUALLY, if you are thinking about getting a smartphone, it will probably be better to wait and see what comes out in the summer. That is generally when phones come out. Apple usually puts out new iPhones in June and other manufacturers will be around that time as well. Given that you won't actually need it till the Fall, waiting will probably be doable.

This. I'd wait until the new iPhone comes out, June I think, then wait one more month to see if Google responds. I'm loving this competition between Google and Apple now. I'm not sure why anyone would go with anything besides the Nexus One or the iPhone at this point (maybe the Droid if you like a physical keyboard).

the new iphone is just a software update

Well, why they already showed off the new software, I'm sure the new iPhone will not just be the 3GS with that new software. It will likely have a faster processor, higher resolution screen, better battery life, etc. Why would they release a "new" phone, that has no updates, in June with just already announced software?

Also perhaps a 64gb version, and an FM receiver like the current iPod Nano. There are a lot of things the market is expecting that would require hardware changes. I think limiting the changes to JUST a software update would be a bad competitive move since the competition has seriously stepped up their game in the past year.

kalvano

Postby kalvano » Sat Apr 17, 2010 5:18 pm

Apple will have a new model iPhone this summer, as they always do, but it will just be a small upgrade on the 3GS. Slightly better processor, that sort of thing, from what I am reading. They spent a lot of time working the iPad and so not this summer but next summer will be the true "next generation" iPhone.

But iPhone OS 4.0 is coming out with a ton of changes, but that's available to any current iPhone user. Except multi-tasking, that is only available to 3GS and up.

shepdawg

Postby shepdawg » Mon Apr 19, 2010 11:28 am

Every phone out there has one bar to shoot for, and that's the iPhone. Nothing beats it. I have tried all of them, but nothing has the feel and ease of an iPhone. At&t service has been great for me too. My wife and I only spend $85/month to have a smart phone and my iPhone.

superflush

Postby superflush » Tue Apr 20, 2010 1:43 am

There's so much incorrect information on this thread already.

But, OP, do you have a preference of carrier or an amount you'd like to spend each month?
And what would you say your priorities are in your smartphone?

trialjunky

Postby trialjunky » Tue Apr 20, 2010 6:51 am

swimbrad wrote:motorola droid - carried by verizon... absolutely amazing...

does everything as good or better than the iphone (except music... maybe) - i.e., multiple apps/multiple browsers open at the same time

obviously i'm biased, but let me know if you have any specific ?s

This or this if your willing to go T-mobile
--ImageRemoved--

I have it and I like it better than my old IPhone. Has the same music capabilities, internet is faster, not as many applications as Iphone but overall better.

kaydish21

Postby kaydish21 » Tue Apr 20, 2010 7:03 am

j.wellington wrote:I have an iPhone, but AT&T blows and I really like the Palm Pre. You can get it on both Sprint and Verizon now.

+180

jamesc760

Postby jamesc760 » Tue Apr 20, 2010 9:14 am

If you are:

a businessperson who texts and emails alot --> blackberry,

a student who checks on facebook alot --> iphone,

a geek who needs a computer with a phone tacked on --> nokia n900,

anyone else, google nexus one.

Tweek

Postby Tweek » Tue Apr 20, 2010 11:36 am

kalvano wrote:Apple will have a new model iPhone this summer, as they always do, but it will just be a small upgrade on the 3GS. Slightly better processor, that sort of thing, from what I am reading. They spent a lot of time working the iPad and so not this summer but next summer will be the true "next generation" iPhone.

But iPhone OS 4.0 is coming out with a ton of changes, but that's available to any current iPhone user. Except multi-tasking, that is only available to 3GS and up.

Just for fun, looks like the tech sites may have found a next-gen iPhone prototype in a bar! It's just speculation at this point as to whether it's the real deal:

http://news.cnet.com/8301-13579_3-20002892-37.html
http://technologizer.com/2010/04/19/iphone-4g/
http://www.pcworld.com/article/194569/a ... _know.html

superflush

Postby superflush » Wed Apr 21, 2010 5:25 am

jamesc760 wrote:If you are:

a businessperson who texts and emails alot --> blackberry,

a student who checks on facebook alot --> iphone,

a geek who needs a computer with a phone tacked on --> nokia n900,

anyone else, google nexus one.

I would make the filters:
Is exchange & BBM a priority --> Blackberry
Is proper Gmail a priority --> Nexus One or Droid Incredible
Music a priority --> iPhone
Having any app you want --> iPhone

Don't know? --> Decide between iPhone & Nexus One or Droid Incredible on carrier, price, etc.

Mattalones

Postby Mattalones » Wed Apr 21, 2010 1:55 pm

I just watched the iPhone OS 4.0 Press Release and it seems as though the iPhone 3GS (sorry to 2nd and 1st gen iPhoners) will support all of the major things for which Blackberry held a competitive edge (if you watch the video, it is under the5th tenpin, "enterprise" section). Also, zero-CPU usage multi-tasking is a first. Some of my other smart phones have done multitasking, but none have done it without a big loss to speed and battery life, so this is big! The one thing that I found a bit lame about the new OS is the iAdd, which puts adds in your apps. It is alright because the adds are non-intrusive compared to what developers included themselves; now apple will control add format. However, this means that there will be more adds (even if they are smaller ... on the upside, they can be useful for finding retailers).

The video is an hour, so I condensed the information. Here are the 7 of 100+ user functions Apple highlights (the ten-poles) - I bolded the "big deal" points for users:

1) Multitasking - pauses apps where you left them, which does two things A) makes you able to go back to your spot in the app through a task bar that is similar to that on Windows (task bar) and Mac OS (dock), and B) allows multitasking without slowing down phone or decreasing battery life.

2) Folders - Drag and drop apps on top of each other to make smart-namable folders of apps for organizing (if apps in folder are games, it will know to call the folder "games," but will allow you to rename it as well).

3) Mail - Organize by conversation, option to put multiple mail account in single inbox (multiple, separate inboxes is still an option)

4) iBooks - same as iPad

5) Enterprise - support for multiple Enterprise accounts, companies will be able to control x number of iPhones (app distribution, updates, permissions, etc.) from the IT room, much like company laptops and blackberries

6) Gamekit (preview) - makes games easily networkable (I am not into this one, but it is great for gamers)

7) iAdd - stops developers from using adds that take you out of your application, to the developer's website, and uses only non-intrusive, Apple-formated adds.

No matter what a new iPhone will have on it, it will be running the OS described above. So, this should help you get a clear idea of that.
Does anyone else have a breakdown of the mobile OSs? That would be super helpful for someone trying to compare smart phones.

de5igual

Postby de5igual » Wed Apr 21, 2010 3:35 pm

Mattalones wrote:5) Enterprise - support for multiple Enterprise accounts, companies will be able to control x number of iPhones (app distribution, updates, permissions, etc.) from the IT room, much like company laptops and blackberries

it is still extremely cost prohibitive for companies who have invested millions in an infrastructure that supports BES to switch platforms when there is no added benefit.

Mattalones

Postby Mattalones » Wed Apr 21, 2010 4:37 pm

f0bolous wrote:
Mattalones wrote:5) Enterprise - support for multiple Enterprise accounts, companies will be able to control x number of iPhones (app distribution, updates, permissions, etc.) from the IT room, much like company laptops and blackberries

it is still extremely cost prohibitive for companies who have invested millions in an infrastructure that supports BES to switch platforms when there is no added benefit.

Someone LOVES Blackberries! ... It's cute :lol:

dibs

Postby dibs » Wed Apr 21, 2010 4:39 pm

Kchuck wrote:I'm going to be 'that guy'.

The Iphone is the absolute best smart phone out on the market. It works incredibly and life is meaningless without it. Done and Done.

+1 billion

FuManChusco

Postby FuManChusco » Wed Apr 21, 2010 4:46 pm

If you want to stick with verizon, moto droid all day. BETTER than the iPhone. iPhone doesn't even have flash or multi tasking, never mind their extremely limited market and applications. Droid will do whatever you want, and in a speed test I ran with my roommate, the browser is faster on the droid. Also, the new update provided pinch zooming and it syncs perfectly if you have a gmail account. anyone who thinks the iPhone is the end all be all of smart phones, has never used a droid. iDon't, Droid Does.

Mattalones

Postby Mattalones » Wed Apr 21, 2010 4:49 pm

FuManChusco wrote:If you want to stick with verizon, moto droid all day. BETTER than the iPhone. iPhone doesn't even have flash or multi tasking, never mind their extremely limited market and applications. Droid will do whatever you want, and in a speed test I ran with my roommate, the browser is faster on the droid. Also, the new update provided pinch zooming and it syncs perfectly if you have a gmail account. anyone who thinks the iPhone is the end all be all of smart phones, has never used a droid. iDon't, Droid Does.

Blatant marketing regurgitation :roll:

de5igual

Postby de5igual » Wed Apr 21, 2010 5:08 pm

Mattalones wrote:
f0bolous wrote:

Someone LOVES Blackberries! ... It's cute :lol:

i'm actually using an iphone currently, but for the corporate environment, there is no benefit of using an iphone...just as there is no added benefit of using a mac.

Return to “Law School Acceptances, Denials, and Waitlists”