Smartphone during law school/career? Forum

Share Your Experiences, Read About Other Experiences. Please keep posts organized by school and expected year of graduation.
actorlaw

New

Smartphone during law school/career?

Post by actorlaw » Thu Apr 15, 2010 8:49 pm

I need to get a smartphone.
I've held out for as long as I can...
Guess it's time though.

Which ones should I look at?
Are there any particular apps that certain smartphones have that would be beneficial for school/career?

I'd rather stay with verizon... So what phones should I check out?

Teoeo

Silver

Re: Smartphone during law school/career?

Post by Teoeo » Thu Apr 15, 2010 8:55 pm

bumping to keep track =D

ChaotiCait

Bronze

Post by ChaotiCait » Thu Apr 15, 2010 9:00 pm

I think verizon's supposed to be picking up the iphone soon, right? If thats something you're interested in... also I've heard the android phones with google are pretty good. but no personal experience.

swimbrad

Bronze

Post by swimbrad » Thu Apr 15, 2010 9:02 pm

motorola droid - carried by verizon... absolutely amazing...

does everything as good or better than the iphone (except music... maybe) - i.e., multiple apps/multiple browsers open at the same time

obviously i'm biased, but let me know if you have any specific ?s

Ferociousaurus

New

Post by Ferociousaurus » Thu Apr 15, 2010 9:11 pm

The Droid is pretty awesome, and I think the iPhone is a bit overrated. If you're looking for something a bit cheaper, I have a Blackberry Pearl that does absolutely everything I need it for on the cheap, and I think it looks sleek and sexy too.

Want to continue reading?

Register now to search topics and post comments!

Absolutely FREE!

Pearalegal

Silver

Post by Pearalegal » Thu Apr 15, 2010 9:15 pm

Your Summer position and job will give you a blackberry.

gitls

New

Post by gitls » Thu Apr 15, 2010 9:17 pm

wait until april 29th. verizon will be getting a new phone...the htc droid incredible. it is the follow up to the original droid...and will be much better. $199.

Sean Bateman

Bronze

Post by Sean Bateman » Thu Apr 15, 2010 9:19 pm

I have the droid with verizon and i second what everyone else said- it's quite amazing. blows any blackberry out of the water and is on par if not better than the iphone. do it!

Chairman

New

Post by Chairman » Thu Apr 15, 2010 10:16 pm

There's no reason to get a Blackberry unless you need it for work email. iPhone > BB for everything except working with enterprise email systems (and I am NOT an Apple fanboy). Presumably Droid > BB too, but no personal experience.

Want to continue reading?

Register for access!

Did I mention it was FREE ?

EBGB

New

Post by EBGB » Thu Apr 15, 2010 10:26 pm

Verizon will be coming out at the end of the month with the Incredible. It's the newest Android phone and rumors are that it'll blow the Droid out of the water. My boyfriend tried to convince me to get one if it went with T-Mobile, but I went with the Nexus One instead which is also on par with, if not better than, the iPhone.

Mattalones

Silver

Post by Mattalones » Thu Apr 15, 2010 10:33 pm

EBGB wrote:Verizon will be coming out at the end of the month with the Incredible. It's the newest Android phone and rumors are that it'll blow the Droid out of the water. My boyfriend tried to convince me to get one if it went with T-Mobile, but I went with the Nexus One instead which is also on par with, if not better than, the iPhone.
Could you post some information about the Nexus One. I know that it has more processing power than my iPhone3GS, and that it is also more customizable, but I have never touched one. I have had smartphones since before they were really that smart (remember the FAT, old HTC phones on Windows Mobile 3 or 4 with the slide down keyboards? ... yeah, back when dialing a phone number took 90seconds of delay and a stylus!). I got the iPhone because it was the first smartphone whose hardware was actually able to run the software installed on the phone (and it does a beautiful job). But, now that other phones, particularly the Nexus One, are able to run their operating systems/software packages smoothly, without crashing, I am interested to hear about them.
Last edited by Mattalones on Thu Apr 15, 2010 10:34 pm, edited 1 time in total.

j.wellington

Bronze

Post by j.wellington » Thu Apr 15, 2010 10:33 pm

I have an iPhone, but AT&T blows and I really like the Palm Pre. You can get it on both Sprint and Verizon now.

Cupidity

Gold

Post by Cupidity » Thu Apr 15, 2010 10:33 pm

I have the t-mobile mytouch htc. It's googled powered.

For law school, I would recommend any of the phones that use the google/android operating system. Their web browser and speed is superior to the iphone. The iphone has better apps, and as far as music and recreation goes it is better--but for things like checking email or looking something up on the fly, nothing is better than the google phones.

Register now!

Resources to assist law school applicants, students & graduates.

It's still FREE!

Aqualibrium

Gold

Post by Aqualibrium » Thu Apr 15, 2010 10:34 pm

are you people serious?

Mattalones

Silver

Post by Mattalones » Thu Apr 15, 2010 10:37 pm

ACTUALLY, if you are thinking about getting a smartphone, it will probably be better to wait and see what comes out in the summer. That is generally when phones come out. Apple usually puts out new iPhones in June and other manufacturers will be around that time as well. Given that you won't actually need it till the Fall, waiting will probably be doable.

actorlaw

New

Post by actorlaw » Thu Apr 15, 2010 11:09 pm

Awesome! Thanks for all the responses.

Kchuck

Bronze

Post by Kchuck » Thu Apr 15, 2010 11:10 pm

I'm going to be 'that guy'.

The Iphone is the absolute best smart phone out on the market. It works incredibly and life is meaningless without it. Done and Done.

Get unlimited access to all forums and topics

Register now!

I'm pretty sure I told you it's FREE...

actorlaw

New

Post by actorlaw » Thu Apr 15, 2010 11:14 pm

Does anyone know of any apps that could be useful in law school that are out there that are exclusive to one phone over the other? Or is this something to just wait until summertime to figure out?

Barolo

New

Post by Barolo » Thu Apr 15, 2010 11:15 pm

+1, iPhone.

Wait till June.

Mattalones

Silver

Post by Mattalones » Thu Apr 15, 2010 11:18 pm

Kchuck wrote:I'm going to be 'that guy'.

The Iphone is the absolute best smart phone out on the market. It works incredibly and life is meaningless without it. Done and Done.
I feel like using the word "feel" a lot in this post, so sorry if it feels weird to you:

I feel like I feel that way, but I feel like I might feel that way just because I have an iPhone (3GS is the only way to go BTW ... others feel SO SLOW!!!) But without having a feel for other smartphones from new manufacturers who have begun to feel out the market (e.g. google phone manufacturers) I don't feel confident saying the afinity I have for my iPhone feels right.
:lol:

EBGB

New

Post by EBGB » Thu Apr 15, 2010 11:20 pm

Mattalones wrote:
EBGB wrote:Verizon will be coming out at the end of the month with the Incredible. It's the newest Android phone and rumors are that it'll blow the Droid out of the water. My boyfriend tried to convince me to get one if it went with T-Mobile, but I went with the Nexus One instead which is also on par with, if not better than, the iPhone.
Could you post some information about the Nexus One. I know that it has more processing power than my iPhone3GS, and that it is also more customizable, but I have never touched one. I have had smartphones since before they were really that smart (remember the FAT, old HTC phones on Windows Mobile 3 or 4 with the slide down keyboards? ... yeah, back when dialing a phone number took 90seconds of delay and a stylus!). I got the iPhone because it was the first smartphone whose hardware was actually able to run the software installed on the phone (and it does a beautiful job). But, now that other phones, particularly the Nexus One, are able to run their operating systems/software packages smoothly, without crashing, I am interested to hear about them.
http://phandroid.com/nexus-one/
--LinkRemoved--

There's a good chance that the new iPhone or at least info on it will be released in the next couple of weeks, but imho Google/Android phones are far superior. However, I'm anti-Apple.

Communicate now with those who not only know what a legal education is, but can offer you worthy advice and commentary as you complete the three most educational, yet challenging years of your law related post graduate life.

Register now, it's still FREE!

statuscheckerssuck

Bronze

Post by statuscheckerssuck » Thu Apr 15, 2010 11:20 pm

Kchuck wrote:I'm going to be 'that guy'.

+1

I had many a smart phone before I got an iPhone and I finally just broke down and switched to AT&T just so I could get the iPhone. Haven't regretted it for a second.

Mattalones

Silver

Post by Mattalones » Thu Apr 15, 2010 11:25 pm

EBGB wrote:
Mattalones wrote:
http://phandroid.com/nexus-one/
--LinkRemoved--

There's a good chance that the new iPhone or at least info on it will be released in the next couple of weeks, but imho Google/Android phones are far superior. However, I'm anti-Apple.
I have spent thousand one HTC phones ... they have all been crap! I gave them a fair shot for years. I didn't know that the Nexus One was an HTC phone. I mean, things may have changed, but I left them with a bad taste in my mouth. Although, Google is quite impressive, much more so than Microsoft, who was the OS provider for HTC when I last owned one of their phones. It could have just been Microsoft failing to take into account the capabilities of the HTC phones while developing their software.

dgsaudio

New

Post by dgsaudio » Thu Apr 15, 2010 11:44 pm

Amen to all the good things said about Android. I'm a former T-Mobile employee, and use the 1st generation MyTouch.

moviechicka

New

Post by moviechicka » Thu Apr 15, 2010 11:48 pm

I got the Droid Eris for free from Verizon. It's a great little phone. The battery life sucks, but that's the only negative that I can think of/

Seriously? What are you waiting for?

Now there's a charge.
Just kidding ... it's still FREE!

Return to “Law School Acceptances, Denials, and Waitlists”