Washington and Lee versus New York Law School with 30k

Share Your Experiences, Read About Other Experiences. Please keep posts organized by school and expected year of graduation.
Socraticfanatic

Washington and Lee versus New York Law School with 30k

Postby Socraticfanatic » Thu Apr 15, 2010 12:35 am

Hey everyone,

I'm trying to decide between a presidential scholarship at New York Law versus Washington and Lee. I am from New York, have family there, a girlfriend there, etc, so it is a difficult decision. I also want to work in New York when I'm older. Does anyone have any input? It's a really hard decision because I know Washington and Lee is ranked much higher, but if I'm top of my class as a presidential scholar do you think I would still be able to get a high silary at a large firm? Any help would be appreciated

DeSilentio2728

Re: Washington and Lee versus New York Law School with 30k

Postby DeSilentio2728 » Thu Apr 15, 2010 6:49 am

If you remove the emotional components to your question, then this question is silly. However, with the emotional components it may not be. Are you a TLS-bot or a human with feelings?

of Benito Cereno

Postby of Benito Cereno » Thu Apr 15, 2010 7:17 am

Socraticfanatic wrote:Hey everyone,

I'm trying to decide between a presidential scholarship at New York Law versus Washington and Lee. I am from New York, have family there, a girlfriend there, etc, so it is a difficult decision. I also want to work in New York when I'm older. Does anyone have any input? It's a really hard decision because I know Washington and Lee is ranked much higher, but if I'm top of my class as a presidential scholar do you think I would still be able to get a high silary at a large firm? Any help would be appreciated

Coming out of NYLaw you have basically no chance of a high "silary" at a large firm... NYLaw is basically at the bottom of a huge pile of NYC law schools. Most major ny firms only recruit at CLS, NYU, Cornell at T10 schools (they also take a few students from the very top of Fordham and Cardozo... but even at those schools BigLaw requires grades at the very top and a lot of luck). Do not go to NY Law with any expectation or really much hope of getting a job at a large firm. NY Law has a reputation in nyc similar to those of devry and the university of pheonix.

leraa6587

Postby leraa6587 » Thu Apr 15, 2010 7:25 am

Grow up and go to W&L. If your girlfriend and family love you they'll understand and make it work. You will forever regret it if you go to NYLS, especially if you break up, and trust me, you wouldn't be the first 1L to break up with their SO.

doinmybest

Postby doinmybest » Thu Apr 15, 2010 7:49 am

flame?

de5igual

Postby de5igual » Thu Apr 15, 2010 7:56 am

GordonBombay

Postby GordonBombay » Thu Apr 15, 2010 3:00 pm

W&L.

Return to “Law School Acceptances, Denials, and Waitlists”