CUNY v. St. John's v. NYLS Forum

Share Your Experiences, Read About Other Experiences. Please keep posts organized by school and expected year of graduation.
melanieB

New

CUNY v. St. John's v. NYLS

Post by melanieB » Tue Apr 13, 2010 3:20 pm

So far I've heard from CUNY and St.Johns, but have yet to hear about my financial aid/loan packet. I'm assuming both will be sticker. (I also got into NYLS but I don't want to go there at sticker). Anyway I am having a hard time deciding especially since St. John's is ranked higher in tier as well I'm still waiting on the top schools which I assume I didn't get into but what are your recommendations? I could use some suggestions to help me think it over. I hate the fact that it all comes down to the $$

*I also plan on staying in NYC forever and doing public interest ...maybe forever.

green_esqs_n_ham

New

Re: CUNY v. St. John's v. NYLS

Post by green_esqs_n_ham » Wed Apr 14, 2010 8:06 pm

I don't think it should all come down to the money. Especially if you're genuinely interested in public interest, for which there are many ways of reducing student loans, you shouldn't be overly concerned with financial aid.

I only know St. John's through personal experience (I'm a 3L there), but I don't think it will disappoint you. They have a great reputation in the area and offer quite a few clinics that seem relevant to public interest. I'm aware that CUNY has a reputation for PI as well, so relying solely on rank might not be the best strategy given your interests. Look into the clinic opportunities and other public interest issues carefully. Overall, choose what feels right.

erniesto

Bronze

Post by erniesto » Wed Apr 14, 2010 8:14 pm

Go CHEEAAAAP. Living frugal is the hip thing to do these days.

I'm not sure if St John's 3L has a summer offer with a firm that would pay off sticker debt, but I suspect they don't. Thus they are absolutely 100% locked into IBR if they are paying the high tuition.

Maybe St. John's will float you a small merit aid.Since NYDS isn't trying to buy you, I doubt it.

publiusjr

New

Post by publiusjr » Thu Apr 15, 2010 11:40 am

st johns is above both. I have worked with a ton of attorneys from nyls and St. Johns. Not knocking NYLS but St. Johns too me is underrated. NYLS is good for real estate law. I have only met CUNY grads who were in government. They do well in public interest and government but be prepared because they are very liberal. ALot of gay rights type stuff. You have to be comfortable with that. I three schools are better than nothing but I would rank SJU then it depends on what you are looking for to choose between the other too.

Want to continue reading?

Register now to search topics and post comments!

Absolutely FREE!

Return to “Law School Acceptances, Denials, and Waitlists”