Stop Payment on the seat deposit check

Share Your Experiences, Read About Other Experiences. Please keep posts organized by school and expected year of graduation.
amolson04

Re: Stop Payment on the seat deposit check

Postby amolson04 » Wed May 05, 2010 5:21 pm

I got in somewhere the day I mailed my deposit check to a different school. I emailed someone at the Admissions Office the next day, and let them know that my plans had very recently changed. I explained that I had already mailed them a check, and I understood it was generally a non-refundable deposit, but if it was at all possible, I would be super grateful if they did not cash my check.

I got a very nice email back a few hours later, saying they understood and were happy to grant my request, they would shred my check as soon as they received it, and "feel free to stop payment on the check."

So, for what it's worth, there are some schools that are willing to make exceptions. The email I received was very gracious and understanding of the difficulties applicants face in terms of deposit deadlines and waitlists and the like.

CyLaw

Postby CyLaw » Wed May 05, 2010 5:27 pm

amolson04 wrote:I got in somewhere the day I mailed my deposit check to a different school. I emailed someone at the Admissions Office the next day, and let them know that my plans had very recently changed. I explained that I had already mailed them a check, and I understood it was generally a non-refundable deposit, but if it was at all possible, I would be super grateful if they did not cash my check.

I got a very nice email back a few hours later, saying they understood and were happy to grant my request, they would shred my check as soon as they received it, and "feel free to stop payment on the check."

So, for what it's worth, there are some schools that are willing to make exceptions. The email I received was very gracious and understanding of the difficulties applicants face in terms of deposit deadlines and waitlists and the like.

Their is a major difference between 1) a school agreeing not to accept your deposit and allowing you to stop payment and 2) you stopping payment on a check for the school which they try to cash in good faith.

Not-A-Teabagger

Postby Not-A-Teabagger » Wed May 05, 2010 5:45 pm

CyLaw wrote:
amolson04 wrote:I got in somewhere the day I mailed my deposit check to a different school. I emailed someone at the Admissions Office the next day, and let them know that my plans had very recently changed. I explained that I had already mailed them a check, and I understood it was generally a non-refundable deposit, but if it was at all possible, I would be super grateful if they did not cash my check.

Their is a major difference between 1) a school agreeing not to accept your deposit and allowing you to stop payment and 2) you stopping payment on a check for the school which they try to cash in good faith.

That difference being COURTESY!!!

Mr. Matlock

Postby Mr. Matlock » Wed May 05, 2010 5:49 pm

Not-A-Teabagger wrote:
CyLaw wrote:

With COURTESY meaning it's the RIGHT and POLITE thing to do!!!

adameus

Postby adameus » Wed May 05, 2010 7:51 pm

I like this idea :)

holydonkey

Postby holydonkey » Wed May 05, 2010 7:55 pm

Mr. Matlock wrote:
Not-A-Teabagger wrote:
CyLaw wrote:

With COURTESY meaning it's the RIGHT and POLITE thing to do!!!
It's the RIGHT and POLITE thing to do because they hadn't YET received THE check!!!

amolson04

Postby amolson04 » Thu May 06, 2010 1:46 pm

CyLaw wrote:

Yeah, that's exactly my point. Sorry if it wasn't clear. I'm just saying, it doesn't hurt to contact the Admissions Office and explain what's going on. I would never recommend just stopping payment on the check.

CyLaw

Postby CyLaw » Thu May 06, 2010 3:58 pm

amolson04 wrote:
CyLaw wrote:

Yeah, that's exactly my point. Sorry if it wasn't clear. I'm just saying, it doesn't hurt to contact the Admissions Office and explain what's going on. I would never recommend just stopping payment on the check.

Gotcha, yeah, I agree. The worst thing that could happen is that you are in the same position as before, otherwise they may let you undeposit.

Return to “Law School Acceptances, Denials, and Waitlists”