Is Notre Dame Worth Sticker?

Share Your Experiences, Read About Other Experiences. Please keep posts organized by school and expected year of graduation.
flcath

Re: Is Notre Dame Worth Sticker?

Postby flcath » Sun Apr 11, 2010 9:58 pm

ND got flattened at OCIs (to be fair, there was a bit of a "bubble" going on before, with some unusually good summers at places like K&E), though there seems to be as much geographic flexibility as ever for non-biglaw stuff.

Obviously, Michigan (and then NU) would be preferred over anything here, but I don't think the decision is stupid in an of itself... just maybe stupid when made in contrast to other options

clint4law

Postby clint4law » Sun Apr 11, 2010 10:22 pm

mountaintime wrote:did you apply to UIUC?

yes...in with some $

flcath

Postby flcath » Sun Apr 11, 2010 10:40 pm

Desert Fox wrote:Does anyone know how you find out what amount of donation gets you into a school?

I think we might be surprised how far 20K goes towards greasing the wheels.

You could always just contribute money to whoever the governor of Michigan is. I hear that's worked at UIUC.

Postby 09042014 » Sun Apr 11, 2010 10:44 pm

flcath wrote:
Desert Fox wrote:Does anyone know how you find out what amount of donation gets you into a school?

You could always just contribute money to whoever the governor of Michigan is. I hear that's worked at UIUC.

UIUC would be cheap. The Senate seat was sold for like 60K.

flcath

Postby flcath » Sun Apr 11, 2010 10:48 pm

Desert Fox wrote:The Senate seat was sold for like 60K.

ITE affects us all.

chadwick218

Postby chadwick218 » Sun Apr 11, 2010 11:08 pm

clint4law wrote:

yes...in with some $

With some $ and assuming that you are a resident of IL, I would actually take UIUC over ND for Chicago at least.

clint4law

Postby clint4law » Mon Apr 12, 2010 12:27 am

chadwick218 wrote:
clint4law wrote:

yes...in with some $

With some $ and assuming that you are a resident of IL, I would actually take UIUC over ND for Chicago at least.

any reasons why?

clint4law

Postby clint4law » Mon Apr 12, 2010 12:31 am

Desert Fox wrote:
flcath wrote:

UIUC would be cheap. The Senate seat was sold for like 60K.

lol

chadwick218

Postby chadwick218 » Mon Apr 12, 2010 12:42 am

flcath wrote:ND got flattened at OCIs (to be fair, there was a bit of a "bubble" going on before, with some unusually good summers at places like K&E), though there seems to be as much geographic flexibility as ever for non-biglaw stuff.

Obviously, Michigan (and then NU) would be preferred over anything here, but I don't think the decision is stupid in an of itself... just maybe stupid when made in contrast to other options

Of late, NU seems to be outplacing Michigan in Chicago.

chadwick218

Postby chadwick218 » Mon Apr 12, 2010 12:43 am

clint4law wrote:
chadwick218 wrote:
clint4law wrote:

yes...in with some $

any reasons why?

IMO, the two schools are really a toss-up with similar placement in the Chicago market. I would simply go with which ever school was cheaper.

flcath

Postby flcath » Mon Apr 12, 2010 12:46 am

chadwick218 wrote:
flcath wrote:ND got flattened at OCIs (to be fair, there was a bit of a "bubble" going on before, with some unusually good summers at places like K&E), though there seems to be as much geographic flexibility as ever for non-biglaw stuff.

wow. self-selection?

lawwhat

Postby lawwhat » Mon Apr 12, 2010 12:51 am

clint4law wrote:I plan on practicing in Chicago....so far dinged at NU and WL at Michigan. Assuming I don't get into Michigan is ND worth sticker? My other options are Loyola (Chicago) and Kent....I got a full ride at both. Please note: retaking LSAT and applying next year is not an option.

Yeah, but if you have scholly offers from schools like Wisconsin, maybe you should consider them. I'd still take ND at sticker.

chadwick218

Postby chadwick218 » Mon Apr 12, 2010 12:52 am

flcath wrote:
chadwick218 wrote:

wow. self-selection?

maybe a little bit. albeit not a lot (michigan sends a higher % to DC and NY). the responses that i have gotten from some professional recruiters that have come into speak is that firms in the midwest tend to view the two schools pretty much equally in recent years. what NU seems to lack in legal lay prestige, they seem to make up for in the fact that most students have 2+ years of WE prior to coming to law school.

clint4law

Postby clint4law » Mon Apr 12, 2010 1:04 am

With some $ and assuming that you are a resident of IL, I would actually take UIUC over ND for Chicago at least.[/quote]

IMO, the two schools are really a toss-up with similar placement in the Chicago market. I would simply go with which ever school was cheaper.[/quote]

In Chicago ND just seems to be so reputable....people don't even ask about its ranking....it's kinda in a league of its own

woeisme

Postby woeisme » Mon Apr 12, 2010 1:19 am

So you don't want to retake the LSAT since you don't want to go to NU anyway (because you don't want to spend more than two years in school in Chicago)? But you're still thinking about spending three years at Kent or Loyola?

I think you should either take one of the full rides or go to one of the T-14s. Unless you have some real compelling reason to not leave the midwest, I'm not sure how you justify Notre Dame over Virginia, Cornell, Duke, Georgetown or wherever it is you're considering.

Postby 09042014 » Mon Apr 12, 2010 1:39 am

clint4law wrote:In Chicago ND just seems to be so reputable....people don't even ask about its ranking....it's kinda in a league of its own

Notre Dame, Wustl, and UIUC are literally 23,24,25 in the NLJ 250 placement rankings. The difference in placement is negligible, but UIUC places almost all into Chicago biglaw.

clint4law

Postby clint4law » Mon Apr 12, 2010 1:50 am

woeisme wrote:So you don't want to retake the LSAT since you don't want to go to NU anyway (because you don't want to spend more than two years in school in Chicago)? But you're still thinking about spending three years at Kent or Loyola?

I think you should either take one of the full rides or go to one of the T-14s. Unless you have some real compelling reason to not leave the midwest, I'm not sure how you justify Notre Dame over Virginia, Cornell, Duke, Georgetown or wherever it is you're considering.

Kent and Loyola are not really an option....I just a lil upset about ND at sticker...but I'll ride out the waitlist for a few months and keep my fingers crossed

clint4law

Postby clint4law » Mon Apr 12, 2010 1:53 am

Desert Fox wrote:
clint4law wrote:In Chicago ND just seems to be so reputable....people don't even ask about its ranking....it's kinda in a league of its own

Notre Dame, Wustl, and UIUC are literally 23,24,25 in the NLJ 250 placement rankings. The difference in placement is negligible, but UIUC places almost all into Chicago biglaw.

Yeah...but I like to have the flexibility of having a portable degree. while i'm certain i'll end up back home the portability factor is a +

woeisme

Postby woeisme » Mon Apr 12, 2010 1:55 am

[quote="clint4law"

Yeah...but I like to have the flexibility of having a portable degree. while i'm certain i'll end up back home the portability factor is a +[/quote]

Right, so why not go to one of the T14s?

flcath

Postby flcath » Mon Apr 12, 2010 2:01 am

woeisme wrote:[quote="clint4law"

Yeah...but I like to have the flexibility of having a portable degree. while i'm certain i'll end up back home the portability factor is a +

Right, so why not go to one of the T14s?[/quote]
Do you really not know the answer to that question?

clint4law

Postby clint4law » Mon Apr 12, 2010 2:01 am

Right, so why not go to one of the T14s?[/quote]

I still have business ties in the Midwest and will be making frequent visits during my 1L (Chicago and Madison). Only T14s I considered were Michigan and NU (I hate UChicago)...was Held and then rejected by NU. Waitlisted at Michigan.

Postby 09042014 » Mon Apr 12, 2010 2:07 am

You really need to retake in June. There is no downside.

woeisme

Postby woeisme » Mon Apr 12, 2010 2:09 am

flcath wrote:Do you really not know the answer to that question?

Without reading OP's response, that's right. Why would I? Do you?

woeisme

Postby woeisme » Mon Apr 12, 2010 2:11 am

clint4law wrote:

Right, so why not go to one of the T14s?

I still have business ties in the Midwest and will be making frequent visits during my 1L (Chicago and Madison). Only T14s I considered were Michigan and NU (I hate UChicago)...was Held and then rejected by NU. Waitlisted at Michigan.[/quote]

Oh! I misunderstood. I had thought you said you were accepted to two other T14s outside of the midwest.

Can you maybe try and leverage UIUC $ with ND?

flcath

Postby flcath » Mon Apr 12, 2010 2:23 am

woeisme wrote:
flcath wrote:Do you really not know the answer to that question?

Without reading OP's response, that's right. Why would I? Do you?

The answer (which is obvious, but I see you said you misread the OP) is that you/he/anyone didn't get into a T14.

FWIW, I'll be going to ND or Emory at half rather than Cornell at sticker. I'd have chosen either of them over GULC as well, had I gotten in (w/ sticker). If Duke or UVA had come through, that's another story.

Return to “Law School Acceptances, Denials, and Waitlists”