UChicago ASW impressions

Share Your Experiences, Read About Other Experiences. Please keep posts organized by school and expected year of graduation.
liljerry

UChicago ASW impressions

Postby liljerry » Fri Apr 09, 2010 10:42 pm

Left before the Cubby Bear, but overall thought UC was pretty cool. Faculty were great, building was impressive and all the 3Ls i talked to had offers.

anyone else?

nixxers

Re: UChicago ASW impressions

Postby nixxers » Fri Apr 09, 2010 10:49 pm

It seemed exactly like my undergrad (nerdy, really small, intense/motivated) but not so laid back - more self-congratulatory and snobby. I wasn't thrilled. I met a lot of cool students, but a lot of really boring/awkward/annoying ones too (didn't have this experience at Michigan's ASW, or at other visits). It's clearly a great school, but I wasn't feeling the overly small, insular, ivory tower impression I got...

Boba Fett

Postby Boba Fett » Fri Apr 09, 2010 10:56 pm

nixxers wrote:It seemed exactly like my undergrad (nerdy, really small, intense/motivated) but not so laid back - more self-congratulatory and snobby. I wasn't thrilled. I met a lot of cool students, but a lot of really boring/awkward/annoying ones too (didn't have this experience at Michigan's ASW, or at other visits). It's clearly a great school, but I wasn't feeling the overly small, insular, ivory tower impression I got...

Go to Harv, you'll love it there.

nixxers

Postby nixxers » Fri Apr 09, 2010 10:57 pm

Boba Fett wrote:
nixxers wrote:It seemed exactly like my undergrad (nerdy, really small, intense/motivated) but not so laid back - more self-congratulatory and snobby. I wasn't thrilled. I met a lot of cool students, but a lot of really boring/awkward/annoying ones too (didn't have this experience at Michigan's ASW, or at other visits). It's clearly a great school, but I wasn't feeling the overly small, insular, ivory tower impression I got...

Go to Harv, you'll love it there.

sarcasm? :(

swimbrad

Postby swimbrad » Sun Apr 11, 2010 6:28 pm

I enjoyed it.. .thought the building looked cool - and provided lots of natural light in the library (important, b/c i will prly live there)

The students were surprisingly normal (and the girls were actually kinda cute)

I was super-impressed with the faculty and administration, they were very helpful and passionate about UChicago... let me know if you have any more specific questions

D Brooks

Postby D Brooks » Sun Apr 11, 2010 6:34 pm

Ran here.

johnstuartmill

Postby johnstuartmill » Sun Apr 11, 2010 7:33 pm

I'll allow myself a crosspost here:

parker09 wrote:Can anyone give any details on how ASW went?

Yes!

Students
The first night I was there, I hung out mostly with my friend who's a 2L at Chicago and his law school circle. Those guys were REAL chill -- they seemed happy with Chicago overall, and were willing to pay their good experiences forward by ensuring that I had a good time when we went out on the town with them. As far as the rest of the student body goes, I didn't have the same immediate rapport with them as I did with friends of friends (an unreasonable expectation, I'd think), but the ones I got to know pretty well were sociable and interesting. I was ED, so I went to ASW mostly to figure out my living situation, and I concluded that I would have lived with almost all of the guys I talked to.

The down-to-Earth-ness wasn't limited to current students, either: the admits who were either already committed to UChicago, or who seemed pretty certain of their matriculation, were amiable without fail, whereas the people who seemed less likely to attend actually were a little on the wet side. (This might be explained by noting that people who have overriding reasons to go to another school are less likely to get fully emotionally invested in Chicago's ASW, but honestly, the weekend was such a good time that I'd look on these people as fuddyduddies even if this alternative account were correct.) The only exceptions were a couple of dudes who were a little too fratty for my tastes, but apparently, all of those guys were from the South, so I'm willing to give them a personality handicap. :wink:

I was also impressed with the ideological diversity of the student body. I'm a fairly liberal atheist, but if I went to a school where most everyone was like me, I don't think it'd be as interesting, so it was heartening to see a healthy mix of atheists, liberals, libertarians, conservatives, and religious people. I was also a bit taken aback by how integrated all the social groups were. A little bit of clannishness is to be expected, but I didn't even get the impression of that -- my 2L friend's buddy, who was apparently very active in the AA and liberal student groups, seemed equally comfortable hanging out with the conservative group as with the hippies like me. Chalk that up to the intimate class size, I guess.

buildings
The facilities are unreal. Maybe I'm only impressed because I went to a large state school (UCLA), but I was blown away by the general quality of the classrooms, auditoriums, and library. The rest of the campus is real pretty, too -- I'm a fan of the city's architecture generally, but the Gothic shit they have going on at the U of C is especially great.

And yes, the chairs in the law school ARE very comfortable. :D

career services, etc?

They had a panel with the head of career services, and she struck a credible, reassuring tone of both realism and optimism. She noted a high number of deferrals for the most recent class of job-seekers (76%, I think), but she seemed comfortable being upfront with the bad news because the other figures were impressive (96% employment at graduation even for the class of 2010; upwards of 70% of people who pursued clerkships obtained them, etc.) These figures were partially corroborated by my experience with current students as well: although people intimated that it was a lot of work to get the positions they wanted, everyone I talked to had lined up something pretty impressive. The bottom line here is that you shouldn't not go to Chicago because of the job prospects.

I think this is an appropriate place to make a somewhat related point: the faculty is as accessible as they are amazing. Like Kretzy, I also sat in on Nussbaum's class (I was the douche with the brown hair on the right side of the classroom about halfway back who argued for the cognitivist position), and even counting the other prospectives, there weren't more than forty people in the lecture. After class, I joined a small group of people in continuing the discussion with the professor. My 2L buddy is a student in that class, he shrugged off that level of interaction as par for the course. (He also introduced me to Brian Leiter, who was just chilling out in the lounge shooting the shit with some prospectives and currents. The mirthful picture of him in the UChicago brochure seems a good indication of his general mood.) This high level of faculty accessibility probably goes a long way toward explaining Chicago's absurd placement into clerkships and academia, for which faculty recommendations are key.

So yeah, that was my takeaway from the visit. If you have any specific questions, feel free to ask them here, or to PM me if you have a more personalized query. :)

JollyGreenGiant

Postby JollyGreenGiant » Sun Apr 11, 2010 11:12 pm

johnstuartmill wrote: 70% of people who pursued clerkships obtained them, etc.)

I thought she said 20% obtained and roughly 70% tried to obtain? I might have misheard.

Boba Fett

Postby Boba Fett » Sun Apr 11, 2010 11:13 pm

JollyGreenGiant wrote:

I thought she said 20% obtained and roughly 70% tried to obtain? I might have misheard.

Mill is full of shit. 70% is absurd. 20% sounds about right.

JollyGreenGiant

Postby JollyGreenGiant » Sun Apr 11, 2010 11:14 pm

Interesting.. My experience couldn't have been any further from this. I was actually quite impressed with their current student body. There were a few dorks, but the majority were super nice and not what I expected at all. I was expecting exactly what you described.

summerschooled

Postby summerschooled » Sun Apr 11, 2010 11:28 pm

JollyGreenGiant wrote:

I asked them about those #s in the Q&A session. They said that 15-20% of students clerk, but that around 70% of those who seek clerkships are able to get one. Also, those who don't get one straight from law school are in a good position to reapply the next couple years.

nixxers

Postby nixxers » Sun Apr 11, 2010 11:35 pm

JollyGreenGiant wrote:

Interesting.. My experience couldn't have been any further from this. I was actually quite impressed with their current student body. There were a few dorks, but the majority were super nice and not what I expected at all. I was expecting exactly what you described.

Hmm, well, it's just one woman's opinion :) and for me it just made my decision easier, and I'll be freeing up a spot and some moola for someone who loves the school... so no harm done. I am glad to hear you had a good time though! are you leaning towards u of c now?

JollyGreenGiant

Postby JollyGreenGiant » Sun Apr 11, 2010 11:39 pm

nixxers wrote:Hmm, well, it's just one woman's opinion :) and for me it just made my decision easier, and I'll be freeing up a spot and some moola for someone who loves the school... so no harm done. I am glad to hear you had a good time though! are you leaning towards u of c now?

Well, I was always leaning that way (which may have slighted my view at ASW), but yeah it didn't hurt.

At least your cycle got made easier. That's all you can ask for. :)

LAguy

Postby LAguy » Mon Apr 12, 2010 1:01 am

+1

I have never posted on TLS but for the sake of those interested in Chicago feel I should. Every bad rumor you have heard about Chicago is true, except that they do apparently drink/have some fun in their own weird way. Was my first choice going into ASW and I was really excited about it. This weekend shattered my dreams. I met a lot of students and the vast majority of them were very nerdy, awkward, and way too intense. The way nearly all them tried so hard to sell the school also turned me off. Some were more normal but were something like wannabe bros, which may be worse than actually being a bro. Most admits I met reflected this same socially inept/playing on their cell phones at the bar/general awkwardness so if that's you then you will fit in great there. This nerdness is also characterized by the professors and even the new dean; it is the culture of U of C. I like school and learning as much as the next guy, but these people take it to a new level. I guess my point is that if you care at all about the culture of where you go to law school you should visit before committing to Chicago, it's way different from the other T14s I have visited. As nixxers notes, even the Harvard kids don't take it to this level.

gahthelaw

Postby gahthelaw » Mon Apr 12, 2010 10:08 am

i had an entirely different experience at ASW than nixxers and LAguy, and as someone who went into ASW expecting to hate chicago, i thought i'd try to add to the diversity of opinion and experience on here.

maybe i just lucked out and met a cool group of people, but almost without exception, everyone i met at ASW seemed totally normal and cool - surprisingly so, even, since i had gone into the ASW assuming they would be much too nerdy for my taste. the actual U of C students seemed happy, fairly chill, able to socialize, and seemed to have a pretty good sense of the bar and restaurant scene in chicago. the admitted students also seemed like a really diverse and interesting group of people that had lived fun lives and done stuff i wanted to hear about. some were very chill, and others less so, but i think it was easy to find people i clicked with. i went out every night i was there and every night lots of groups went to other bars etc after the official ASW events and seemed totally down to get out and party a bit.

i do agree that there is a difference between Chi and the other law schools i've seen, but that difference to me is that i met fewer eyeroll-worthy tools or people where i straight up had to wonder how they managed to get into the school. obviously, everyone going to an ASW is going to have a different experience and it's up to the individual to decide how much that ASW experience accurately mimics the experience of attending the law school. for me though, i feel like i met enough admitted students and current students to get a fair idea of what Chi would be like, and i really liked it.

Jas

Postby Jas » Mon Apr 12, 2010 10:37 am

Coming from the position of an ED admit, I was not there to coolly weigh the school's atmosphere. I was there to see what I'd gotten into. And I wasn't disappointed. The neighborhood is not scary, the buildings are beautiful, and it's so close to the MOSI and the lake. And there is the Harper library and Rockefeller Chapel right across the street. Awesome.

I sat in on Brian Leiter's Jurisprudence class because there was a horde of people outside of Nussbaum's classroom... lol. It was completely interesting and the classrooms (all five of them) are comfortable and spiffy.

Skipped out on almost all of the social events because my fiance and I wanted to apartment hunt and get a good feel for the neighborhood. We walked almost every single street in the neighborhood, checked out lots of bookstores and a few eating establishments. Noodles etc. has awesome won ton soup (like a meal, not a little bowl) at a reasonable price, btw.

What I am trying to do now is decide where to live. You Regents people, why on earth would you pay $1100 a month for an apartment so far from the school that doesn't even include gym use and doesn't get rated well on apartmentratings.com? I didn't do the tour, but I don't know what they could say or show me that would make me decide to live there. If I can find a place for 700-800 a month that's closer and has a free gym...?

Has anyone lived/applied to live in the grad student housing the university has to offer? Their apartments seem to be spacious and relatively low-priced. But I want to know if there's a downside. You can't exactly tour them.

We also looked at Campus Court, which has a great deal on an awesome street (Blackstone), but the ratings are also poor and someone says there is a raucous "madman" living there. Decisions, decisions...

0L Hoping for 1

Postby 0L Hoping for 1 » Mon Apr 12, 2010 10:41 am

Jas wrote:Coming from the position of an ED admit, I was not there to coolly weigh the school's atmosphere. I was there to see what I'd gotten into. And I wasn't disappointed. The neighborhood is not scary, the buildings are beautiful, and it's so close to the MOSI and the lake. And there is the Harper library and Rockefeller Chapel right across the street. Awesome.

I sat in on Brian Leiter's Jurisprudence class because there was a horde of people outside of Nussbaum's classroom... lol. It was completely interesting and the classrooms (all five of them) are comfortable and spiffy.

Skipped out on almost all of the social events because my fiance and I wanted to apartment hunt and get a good feel for the neighborhood. We walked almost every single street in the neighborhood, checked out lots of bookstores and a few eating establishments. Noodles etc. has awesome won ton soup (like a meal, not a little bowl) at a reasonable price, btw.

What I am trying to do now is decide where to live. You Regents people, why on earth would you pay $1100 a month for an apartment so far from the school that doesn't even include gym use and doesn't get rated well on apartmentratings.com? I didn't do the tour, but I don't know what they could say or show me that would make me decide to live there. If I can find a place for 700-800 a month that's closer and has a free gym...?

Has anyone lived/applied to live in the grad student housing the university has to offer? Their apartments seem to be spacious and relatively low-priced. But I want to know if there's a downside. You can't exactly tour them.

We also looked at Campus Court, which has a great deal on an awesome street (Blackstone), but the ratings are also poor and someone says there is a raucous "madman" living there. Decisions, decisions...

I think you make some good points and I just wanted to give a reason why I am living in regents with my significant other. We are coming from DC and ASW was our first trip to Chicago. Because I have heard about places you dont want to live, streets that are kind of dangerous, etc. We decided it would be a good idea to live in Regents for our first year and then during that year get to know the city much more and find a better place to live after that. The rent is not that much more than the other places we have found, and coming from DC, everything is at least half the price of what we pay now.

Jas

Postby Jas » Mon Apr 12, 2010 10:50 am

0L Hoping for 1 wrote:
Jas wrote:What I am trying to do now is decide where to live. You Regents people, why on earth would you pay $1100 a month for an apartment so far from the school that doesn't even include gym use and doesn't get rated well on apartmentratings.com? I didn't do the tour, but I don't know what they could say or show me that would make me decide to live there. If I can find a place for 700-800 a month that's closer and has a free gym...?

I think you make some good points and I just wanted to give a reason why I am living in regents with my significant other. We are coming from DC and ASW was our first trip to Chicago. Because I have heard about places you dont want to live, streets that are kind of dangerous, etc. We decided it would be a good idea to live in Regents for our first year and then during that year get to know the city much more and find a better place to live after that. The rent is not that much more than the other places we have found, and coming from DC, everything is at least half the price of what we pay now.

I see. That makes sense. This was only my second trip to Chicago, but my fiance grew up in the nearby suburbs and his dad was a police officer in the city years ago, so he has a good sense for the safety of certain areas. That aside, University House apartments offer a pretty decent 1-BR for like $960 a month and it is RIGHT next the the law school. Their studios are $700-760 and come in three sizes. And they have a gym. If it's not safe 1 block from the school, aren't we all in trouble?

Then you might ask, why don't I just get a place there? well... I don't know. I might. I want to know why everyone goes to Regents!

JollyGreenGiant

Postby JollyGreenGiant » Mon Apr 12, 2010 12:38 pm

Jas wrote:
I see. That makes sense. This was only my second trip to Chicago, but my fiance grew up in the nearby suburbs and his dad was a police officer in the city years ago, so he has a good sense for the safety of certain areas. That aside, University House apartments offer a pretty decent 1-BR for like $960 a month and it is RIGHT next the the law school. Their studios are $700-760 and come in three sizes. And they have a gym. If it's not safe 1 block from the school, aren't we all in trouble?

Then you might ask, why don't I just get a place there? well... I don't know. I might. I want to know why everyone goes to Regents!

I toured the grad housing.. and I was very unimpressed.

The rooms were tiny. The "gym" is like 3 machines. The kitchen is shared. You can't live there in the summer. You may or may not have a shared bathroom.. depends on how much you have to pay. I'm pretty sure you have to pay for cable and internet.

Whereas Regents, gym is massive and beautiful. You get three months free, but after that it's probably too pricey for most students. The rooms are huge. The view is very nice. A large portion of law students will live there. If you get a roommate, it is quite affordable.. You have to pay for cable. I see one of your main beefs is location. Regents is uper convenient. A bus (the 172) comes right outside the school every 15 minutes and it drops you off right in front of the law school (after a 10-15 minute ride). It's really nice.

I'd like a compromise between the two (relatively cheap, but also not dumpy) but I don't think it exists. At least not in an area where I'd like to live my first year.

tintin

Postby tintin » Mon Apr 12, 2010 12:43 pm

JollyGreenGiant wrote:
Jas wrote:

I toured the grad housing.. and I was very unimpressed.

The rooms were tiny. The "gym" is like 3 machines. The kitchen is shared. You can't live there in the summer. You may or may not have a shared bathroom.. depends on how much you have to pay. I'm pretty sure you have to pay for cable and internet.

Whereas Regents, gym is massive and beautiful. You get three months free, but after that it's probably too pricey for most students. The rooms are huge. The view is very nice. A large portion of law students will live there. If you get a roommate, it is quite affordable.. You have to pay for cable. I see one of your main beefs is location. Regents is uper convenient. A bus (the 172) comes right outside the school every 15 minutes and it drops you off right in front of the law school (after a 10-15 minute ride). It's really nice.

I'd like a compromise between the two (relatively cheap, but also not dumpy) but I don't think it exists. At least not in an area where I'd like to live my first year.

I think you are thinking of the New Grad housing, but there are also "real" apartments that chicago offers located around hyde park that are more like normal apartment buildings, just under university control.

JollyGreenGiant

Postby JollyGreenGiant » Mon Apr 12, 2010 12:48 pm

tintin wrote:
I think you are thinking of the New Grad housing, but there are also "real" apartments that chicago offers located around hyde park that are more like normal apartment buildings, just under university control.

:oops: yeeeeah. I was talking about New Grad.

Jas

Postby Jas » Mon Apr 12, 2010 2:22 pm

JollyGreenGiant wrote:
tintin wrote:

:oops: yeeeeah. I was talking about New Grad.

Yeah, I just finished narrowing down my apartment preferences on the grad housing site...

http://rs.uchicago.edu/graduate_housing/locations.shtml

Not exactly a user-friendly system, since you have to click back and forth between the comparison chart and the map and since the numbers aren't indicated on the comparison chart, but if you invest a little time it is worth it. The pictures of the interiors look much nicer than most of the commercial apartments we toured (and we toured A LOT), and for a nicer price. But I never would have known how to make the decisions without having walked through the area first. Number 21 in particular is pet friendly, large enough apartments, all utilities included, right on the bus route, right near the stores, rent $715 for a studio, parking at $50/month... I like it. Any thoughts? Anyone who has lived in that building, by chance?
Of course, I don't know if I'll get it just because I request it...

tintin

Postby tintin » Mon Apr 12, 2010 2:36 pm

Jas wrote:Yeah, I just finished narrowing down my apartment preferences on the grad housing site...

http://rs.uchicago.edu/graduate_housing/locations.shtml

Not exactly a user-friendly system, since you have to click back and forth between the comparison chart and the map and since the numbers aren't indicated on the comparison chart, but if you invest a little time it is worth it. The pictures of the interiors look much nicer than most of the commercial apartments we toured (and we toured A LOT), and for a nicer price. But I never would have known how to make the decisions without having walked through the area first. Number 21 in particular is pet friendly, large enough apartments, all utilities included, right on the bus route, right near the stores, rent $715 for a studio, parking at $50/month... I like it. Any thoughts? Anyone who has lived in that building, by chance?
Of course, I don't know if I'll get it just because I request it...

that is actually the one i was looking at as my top choice...if i go to chicago.....

Dominusfiki

Postby Dominusfiki » Sun Apr 25, 2010 8:15 pm

Anyone else with info on apartments? Wasn't able to attend ASW but will be attending. Anyone know how far Regents is by foot/bike/car from the law school?

Emma.

Postby Emma. » Sun Apr 25, 2010 10:12 pm

Dominusfiki wrote:Anyone else with info on apartments? Wasn't able to attend ASW but will be attending. Anyone know how far Regents is by foot/bike/car from the law school?

http://maps.google.com/maps?f=d&source=s_d&saddr=5050+S+Lake+Shore+Dr+%23+Ofc,+Chicago,+IL+60615-3200+(Regents+Park+In+Hyde+Park)&daddr=1111+East+60th+Street,+Chicago,+IL+60637-2776+(Law+School)&hl=en&geocode=FQfefQIdIZTH-iFgQQ5KMcw9_A%3BFTGZfQIdiFvH-iHNxxEXLLrOeyn1xOhPPSkOiDHPdYRWzUahVA&mra=cc&dirflg=w&sll=41.79448,-87.590818&sspn=0.034939,0.076218&ie=UTF8&z=14

2 miles or so. Apparently there is a free bus that goes directly from Regents to the law school though.

Return to “Law School Acceptances, Denials, and Waitlists”