Chances are slim, retake OCT LSAT,or MPA, LS LATER?

Share Your Experiences, Read About Other Experiences. Please keep posts organized by school and expected year of graduation.
blo08

Chances are slim, retake OCT LSAT,or MPA, LS LATER?

Postby blo08 » Fri Apr 09, 2010 3:18 am

So I applied to six schools: American, GWU, Tulane, Alabama, GA STATE, and Mercer...So far American, Alabama, and GA STATE have rejected my app...My friend was waitlisted at Tulane 3.8;146 lsat...My gpa is a 3.0, and my lsat is a 141...I spoke with a bama professor the other day and she informed me that my lsat was holding me back...I'm really confused because my option was to go get a MPA, retake the lsat and reapply. But after speaking with her I was told that sometimes a masters will not help the second time around...What do you guys think???Should I chill out, study my butt off and retake the Oct 2010 lsat and reapply, or should I spend 2 years in a MPA program and reapply afterwards...And the reason why I'm on pins and needles is because Im so picky when it comes to schools...I need a school with a great rep, so that my JD will be mobile, i.e. if I move, my credentials will provide me with great opportunities or atleast a large alumni....HELPPPPPPPPP!IM SO CONFUSED AND TIME IS WINDING DOWN...Also for those of you wondering, I plan to practice in GA or Texas, Im from the south, and I love Atlanta...thats why the majority of my schools I applied to are in the south. :(

sball

Re: Chances are slim, retake OCT LSAT,or MPA, LS LATER?

Postby sball » Fri Apr 09, 2010 3:23 am

I'd say no matter what you are going to need to retake the LSAT because looking through other posts I've seen that they don't are that much about ur masters gpa (though it could make for an interesting PS). If you want to take 2 yrs off though and do a Masters then reapply that should be fine too (as long as you have taken the LSAT again). Or if you want to get your JD as soon as possible (and don't really care for the masters) then just study for the LSAT and try to get some legal work experience if possible during the next year as you reapply. hope this helps!

CardinalRules

Postby CardinalRules » Fri Apr 09, 2010 3:24 am

blo08 wrote:Should I chill out, study my butt off and retake the Oct 2010 lsat and reapply(

Precisely. Give yourself the best possible shot at the LSAT; it can make all the difference.

blo08

Postby blo08 » Fri Apr 09, 2010 3:28 am

To be honest, I love politics, mainly congress...But that is not or has never been my ultimate goal...So 2 years of waiting, and getting more loans will suck versus one...I have about sic months to study and I have the bible books, so I gotta step up and get on it...

Thanks you made a really good point! Its great hearing the opinions of others...

GeePee

Postby GeePee » Fri Apr 09, 2010 3:32 am

I think you really need to ask yourself what you'd like to do with your law degree. If you're looking for a job where you can help people or influence some sort of policy decisions through advocacy, then just getting an MPA and foregoing law school would be a good idea. Law simply isn't the forum to do this most effectively. If you love nitpicky details and fine-toothed editing and research, then law is a perfect field for you.

On the other hand, if the purpose of the MPA is simply to make you a more attractive law school candidate, then I'd suggest saving 2 years of tuition on a degree that will make you marginally, if any, more so.

Realistically, you'd need about a 20-25 point LSAT jump to be a competitive candidate at the schools you've listed. That is no easy task. The LSAT is far more important to your application than you could ever really imagine, and if you're seriously looking for a degree that is mobile across the south and you won't accept less, then you should really be aiming in the neighborhood of 165 on your LSAT.

Whatever you decide to do, good luck. It will certainly take you a lot of work in the coming months to get to your goals but they are achievable. Just don't settle for a second-rate degree when you know that the jobs you want will probably require a top-tier one.

khanvalescent

Postby khanvalescent » Fri Apr 09, 2010 3:37 am

Recommendations, in order of importance:
1) Learn how to use a period.
2) Study for LSAT and retake in October.

A good LSAT score is vastly more important than a masters degree.

blo08

Postby blo08 » Fri Apr 09, 2010 3:41 am

The LSAT is far more important to your application than you could ever really imagine, and if you're seriously looking for a degree that is mobile across the south and you won't accept less, then you should really be aiming in the neighborhood of 165 on your LSAT.

Just don't settle for a second-rate degree when you know that the jobs you want will probably require a top-tier one.[/quote]

PRECISELY!YOU READ ME LIKE A BOOK!
That is going to be difficult...Last year when I took it I was in school and my mom had cancer, which was quite stressful...Now Im out of school and Im working...Im thinking about enrolling in a weekend Powerscore class or a testmasters class...I hated Kaplan and had no clue that the practice tests they used were not real LSAT test questions...Plus my teacher always answered questions by reading directly from her manual...If I understood the book explanation, I would have read it myself and never asked for details...

What do you guys think of powerscore or testmaster???

Nicholasnickynic

Postby Nicholasnickynic » Fri Apr 09, 2010 9:31 am

You only have to have scored a 164 or higher to be a kaplan test instructor.

Don't use them.

rockstar4488

Postby rockstar4488 » Fri Apr 09, 2010 12:09 pm

I had a great experience with Kaplan (albeit in the Advanced LSAT class). And to OP: Honestly though, I believe that the simple structure and regimen of any LSAT class would do wonders for your score regardless of who you took it through.

sball

Postby sball » Fri Apr 09, 2010 5:56 pm

I took testmasters and it was a good course (esp since all the questions were previously on the lsat)...i mostly took it though bcs i knew i wouldn't be able to study hardcore without a class lol. if you're a person that doesn't need the push to study though you might not need a class. What you could do is go out and buy the Bibles and study/take a practice test and see if you are able to improve your score on your own...if not then get into a class. classes for testmasters for the sept. exam start in july. if you do end up doing testmasters i can give you a few tips ^_^

nycparalegal

Postby nycparalegal » Fri Apr 09, 2010 6:03 pm

blo08 wrote:
PRECISELY!YOU READ ME LIKE A BOOK![/b] That is going to be difficult...Last year when I took it I was in school and my mom had cancer, which was quite stressful...Now Im out of school and Im working...Im thinking about enrolling in a weekend Powerscore class or a testmasters class...I hated Kaplan and had no clue that the practice tests they used were not real LSAT test questions...Plus my teacher always answered questions by reading directly from her manual...If I understood the book explanation, I would have read it myself and never asked for details...

What do you guys think of powerscore or testmaster???

Why is every sentence followed by an ellipsis?

Return to “Law School Acceptances, Denials, and Waitlists”