BEST 1L HORNBOOKS? Forum

Share Your Experiences, Read About Other Experiences. Please keep posts organized by school and expected year of graduation.
APHill

Bronze

BEST 1L HORNBOOKS?

Post by APHill » Wed Apr 07, 2010 5:25 pm

Could anyone share their opinions on best hornbooks for a 1L student - civ pro, criminal, tort, property, etc?

MeTalkPrettyOneDay

Bronze

Re: BEST 1L HORNBOOKS?

Post by MeTalkPrettyOneDay » Wed Apr 07, 2010 5:38 pm

Civ Pro - Glannon (the Examples & Explanations series)
Torts - Glannon (the Examples & Explanations series). If you don't like E&E, try Abraham's "The Forms and Functions of Tort Law"
Contracts - Chirelstein. (Don't bother with the E&E for Ks. I think I derived negative utility from the Ks E&E. It was more a waste of time than anything. But Chirelstein is awesome.)

APHill

Bronze

Post by APHill » Thu Apr 08, 2010 6:39 pm

MeTalkPrettyOneDay wrote:Civ Pro - Glannon (the Examples & Explanations series)
Torts - Glannon (the Examples & Explanations series). If you don't like E&E, try Abraham's "The Forms and Functions of Tort Law"
Contracts - Chirelstein. (Don't bother with the E&E for Ks. I think I derived negative utility from the Ks E&E. It was more a waste of time than anything. But Chirelstein is awesome.)
thanks, what about criminal, property, constitutional?

Leeroy Jenkins

Silver

Post by Leeroy Jenkins » Thu Apr 08, 2010 7:04 pm

Understanding Criminal Law -- Dressler
Constitutional Law: Principles and Policies -- Cherminksy

MeTalkPrettyOneDay

Bronze

Post by MeTalkPrettyOneDay » Thu Apr 08, 2010 7:42 pm

I haven't heard anything great about any of the property hornbooks. The E&E (by Burke and Snoe) is ok, but it isn't fantastic... it might be the least bad of the options for real property.

Dressler and Chemerinsky are both good suggestions. Yes, the Chemerinsky book is nearly 1,200 pages, but it's very, very good.

Want to continue reading?

Register now to search topics and post comments!

Absolutely FREE!

Leeroy Jenkins

Silver

Post by Leeroy Jenkins » Thu Apr 08, 2010 7:44 pm

MeTalkPrettyOneDay wrote:Dressler and Chemerinsky are both good suggestions. Yes, the Chemerinsky book is nearly 1,200 pages, but it's very, very good.
You'll only use the first 300 in ConLaw I. You save money by not needing to buy another hornbook when you take ConLaw II (or III, if your school offers it)

Renzo

Gold

Post by Renzo » Thu Apr 08, 2010 7:44 pm

I wouldn't call any of the things suggested thus far "hornbooks."

MeTalkPrettyOneDay

Bronze

Post by MeTalkPrettyOneDay » Thu Apr 08, 2010 8:19 pm

Leeroy Jenkins wrote:
MeTalkPrettyOneDay wrote:Dressler and Chemerinsky are both good suggestions. Yes, the Chemerinsky book is nearly 1,200 pages, but it's very, very good.
You'll only use the first 300 in ConLaw I. You save money by not needing to buy another hornbook when you take ConLaw II (or III, if your school offers it)
Haha, I wish... we've covered way more than that...
Renzo wrote:I wouldn't call any of the things suggested thus far "hornbooks."
Fair point. I assumed OP meant E&Es and other supplements, but I may have misinterpreted his question. OP, if you're looking for textbook-style policy discussions, the books we've suggested aren't what you want (except Chemerinsky, maybe). If you're looking for supplements that will save you time and fill in broad gaps in your casebook, then the above suggestions are spot-on.

APHill

Bronze

Post by APHill » Thu Apr 08, 2010 9:18 pm

i am looking for a supplement that will save me time and fill broad gaps...what is the difference between hornbook and textbook? is a casebook considered a textbook?

In my ls they only assign required casebooks, but thats it.

Want to continue reading?

Register for access!

Did I mention it was FREE ?

T14_Scholly

Bronze

Post by T14_Scholly » Thu Apr 08, 2010 10:39 pm

In order to succeed as a 1L, you should read all of the above-mentioned books during your 0L summer.

kalvano

Diamond

Post by kalvano » Thu Apr 08, 2010 10:40 pm

The best ones are the free ones in the library.

Bustang

Bronze

Post by Bustang » Thu Apr 08, 2010 10:51 pm

T14_Scholly wrote:In order to succeed as a 1L, you should read all of the above-mentioned books during your 0L summer.
You're an evil person.

vanwinkle

Platinum

Post by vanwinkle » Thu Apr 08, 2010 10:58 pm

Civ Pro - Glannon (E&E)
Contracts - Chirelstein
Torts - Abraham
Con Law - Chemerinsky
Property - Singer

I don't have a favorite study guide for Crim Law because I ended up using a commercial outline written by my prof, and I think it was useful more because it was written by my prof than anything. I liked it but I'm not sure it'd be useful for anyone else.

Register now!

Resources to assist law school applicants, students & graduates.

It's still FREE!

MarkL234

New

Post by MarkL234 » Thu Apr 08, 2010 11:00 pm

Renzo

Gold

Post by Renzo » Fri Apr 09, 2010 12:09 am

APHill wrote:i am looking for a supplement that will save me time and fill broad gaps...what is the difference between hornbook and textbook? is a casebook considered a textbook?

In my ls they only assign required casebooks, but thats it.
All law schools only assign casebooks, but that's because they are trying to make it hard on you to figure out what's going on.
Hornbooks are one volume treatises written primarily for law students on subjects typically covered by law school courses. Unlike casebooks, which are collections of cases (or parts of cases) chosen to help illustrate and stimulate discussion about legal issues, hornbooks attempt to summarize and explain the law in a specific area. Perhaps the best-known hornbooks are those published by West in "West's Hornbook Series," which are easily identifiable by their distinctive green bindings and include titles such as Civil Procedure by Professors Friedenthal, Kane and Miller, and Uniform Commercial Code by Professors White and Summers.

Study guides such as West's Nutshell Series and Black Letter Series, and Aspen Publisher's Examples and Explanations Series, also try to explain the law in a much more straightforward manner than casebooks. Study guides, though, are written in a less scholarly manner than hornbooks and tend to focus on the basic issues without providing detailed analysis. For example, hornbooks are often heavily footnoted, whereas many study guides do not contain any footnotes at all.

APHill

Bronze

Post by APHill » Fri Apr 09, 2010 11:06 am

T14_Scholly wrote:In order to succeed as a 1L, you should read all of the above-mentioned books during your 0L summer.
i am actually planning to....a guy from Loyola U Chicago did this and he says he was top 1% during 1L.

kissy

Bronze

Post by kissy » Fri Apr 09, 2010 11:31 am

APHill wrote:
i am actually planning to....a guy from Loyola U Chicago did this and he says he was top 1% during 1L.
:lol:

Get unlimited access to all forums and topics

Register now!

I'm pretty sure I told you it's FREE...

DallasCowboy

Silver

Post by DallasCowboy » Fri Apr 09, 2010 11:33 am

GUNNER

kissy

Bronze

Post by kissy » Fri Apr 09, 2010 11:35 am

DallasCowboy wrote:GUNNER
--ImageRemoved--

APHill

Bronze

Post by APHill » Fri Apr 09, 2010 11:42 am

kissy wrote:
DallasCowboy wrote:GUNNER
--ImageRemoved--
thats like the exact image of me, t-shirt and all, wow, how did you know.

kissy

Bronze

Post by kissy » Fri Apr 09, 2010 11:46 am

facebook!

Communicate now with those who not only know what a legal education is, but can offer you worthy advice and commentary as you complete the three most educational, yet challenging years of your law related post graduate life.

Register now, it's still FREE!

T14_Scholly

Bronze

Post by T14_Scholly » Fri Apr 09, 2010 12:33 pm

APHill wrote:
I'll take his word for it.

APHill

Bronze

Post by APHill » Thu Apr 15, 2010 10:52 pm

vanwinkle wrote:Civ Pro - Glannon (E&E)
Contracts - Chirelstein
Torts - Abraham
Con Law - Chemerinsky
Property - Singer

I don't have a favorite study guide for Crim Law because I ended up using a commercial outline written by my prof, and I think it was useful more because it was written by my prof than anything. I liked it but I'm not sure it'd be useful for anyone else.
which exact one for property? he has several...

Seriously? What are you waiting for?

Now there's a charge.
Just kidding ... it's still FREE!

Return to “Law School Acceptances, Denials, and Waitlists”