How many more points can I go up with a private tutor

Share Your Experiences, Read About Other Experiences. Please keep posts organized by school and expected year of graduation.
User avatar
stintez
Posts: 307
Joined: Fri Apr 02, 2010 12:55 pm

How many more points can I go up with a private tutor

Postby stintez » Wed Apr 07, 2010 1:36 pm

I have been studying now for 2.5 months with the last week and half kind of acting as a break just taking practice lsat. Thus far by myself I have improved my score between 17-23 points depending on which practice lsat I look at. I really need to improve another 10 points because that would allow me a very good chance to receive a full ride or almost full ride to one of my top choice law schools. I was going to take a kaplan class and even paid for it but I got my money back and decided to go with a private tutor, it was nothing more than personal preference. Mainly because I want more one on one interaction and my question answered better. Is it stupid to think that I can go up another 10 points? Its a loaded question but hey I am just curious. Thoughts feelings immediate reactions welcome. :?:

User avatar
DoktorZaius
Posts: 71
Joined: Mon Dec 07, 2009 12:21 am

Re: How many more points can I go up with a private tutor

Postby DoktorZaius » Wed Apr 07, 2010 2:34 pm

stintez wrote:I have been studying now for 2.5 months with the last week and half kind of acting as a break just taking practice lsat. Thus far by myself I have improved my score between 17-23 points depending on which practice lsat I look at. I really need to improve another 10 points because that would allow me a very good chance to receive a full ride or almost full ride to one of my top choice law schools. I was going to take a kaplan class and even paid for it but I got my money back and decided to go with a private tutor, it was nothing more than personal preference. Mainly because I want more one on one interaction and my question answered better. Is it stupid to think that I can go up another 10 points? Its a loaded question but hey I am just curious. Thoughts feelings immediate reactions welcome. :?:

Really hard to say...for one thing, it depends on the 10 points in question. If you're trying to bump a 150 to a 160, you're probably in business. On the other hand, if you're trying to bump a 165 to a 175, good luck. It can definitely be done, but trying to break into the 170+ territory requires a level of intelligence that few prospective law students possess.

User avatar
stintez
Posts: 307
Joined: Fri Apr 02, 2010 12:55 pm

Re: How many more points can I go up with a private tutor

Postby stintez » Wed Apr 07, 2010 2:36 pm

Thanks FYI I am trying to go from a 152-160 + if that makes any difference.

User avatar
booboo
Posts: 1032
Joined: Tue Oct 20, 2009 10:39 pm

Re: How many more points can I go up with a private tutor

Postby booboo » Wed Apr 07, 2010 2:38 pm

DoktorZaius wrote:
stintez wrote:I have been studying now for 2.5 months with the last week and half kind of acting as a break just taking practice lsat. Thus far by myself I have improved my score between 17-23 points depending on which practice lsat I look at. I really need to improve another 10 points because that would allow me a very good chance to receive a full ride or almost full ride to one of my top choice law schools. I was going to take a kaplan class and even paid for it but I got my money back and decided to go with a private tutor, it was nothing more than personal preference. Mainly because I want more one on one interaction and my question answered better. Is it stupid to think that I can go up another 10 points? Its a loaded question but hey I am just curious. Thoughts feelings immediate reactions welcome. :?:

Really hard to say...for one thing, it depends on the 10 points in question. If you're trying to bump a 150 to a 160, you're probably in business. On the other hand, if you're trying to bump a 165 to a 175, good luck. It can definitely be done, but trying to break into the 170+ territory requires a level of [strike]intelligence[/strike] dedication that few prospective law students possess.


Getting a tutor can be effective. It depends on how well you heed advice given to you, whether you practice suggestions the tutor provides, and how long you use the tutor.

mailmanstalker
Posts: 87
Joined: Wed Mar 03, 2010 9:54 pm

Re: How many more points can I go up with a private tutor

Postby mailmanstalker » Wed Apr 07, 2010 2:39 pm

I did the extreme Kaplan class which provided 5 hours of one on one tutuoring and you can also buy additonal tutoring hours. I found both helpful becasue in the class you learn from other students questions and approach. But that was just me

User avatar
toolshed
Posts: 315
Joined: Thu Jun 18, 2009 1:35 pm

Re: How many more points can I go up with a private tutor

Postby toolshed » Wed Apr 07, 2010 2:42 pm

As a current LSAT tutor, I can tell you one thing that will help a great deal: go into the tutoring sessions with your strengths and weaknesses already determined. I have found it to be incredible difficult to be effective when the goal of the tutoring sessions is "Teach me the LSAT." If you let him/her know ahead of time that "I'm great at Must be True, need help on Assumptions, okay at Linear Games but need a plan for Grouping," you can really maximize the time spent. If you have already studied and improved that much, you should have a good idea about where you weaknesses lie--but if you don't, definitely identify these concepts first.

User avatar
DoktorZaius
Posts: 71
Joined: Mon Dec 07, 2009 12:21 am

Re: How many more points can I go up with a private tutor

Postby DoktorZaius » Wed Apr 07, 2010 3:01 pm

booboo wrote:Getting a tutor can be effective. It depends on how well you heed advice given to you, whether you practice suggestions the tutor provides, and how long you use the tutor.

I'd still maintain that relatively few prospective law students are capable of scoring a 170+. So while I agree with you that dedication can make up for a moderate lack of intelligence, it can't do so no matter what. There are some people who really can't hope to get out of the 150's.

User avatar
stintez
Posts: 307
Joined: Fri Apr 02, 2010 12:55 pm

Re: How many more points can I go up with a private tutor

Postby stintez » Wed Apr 07, 2010 3:14 pm

I know some of my strengths and weaknesses. My biggest weakness is logic games even after reading the bible. I have never been one to learn well from reading instructions as much as I am someone telling me verbally and showing me. I also know that 10 points is a lot. However, I know that anything this tutor tells me I will do I mean i spent 1800 on a tutor from Chicago because many people and consultants told me he is one of the best. So anything he tells me I will do. I see it as this 10 points is worth 100k if I can get a full ride.




Return to “Law School Acceptances, Denials, and Waitlists”