Off the Waitlist! Forum

Share Your Experiences, Read About Other Experiences. Please keep posts organized by school and expected year of graduation.
snowpeach06

Gold

Re: Off the Waitlist!

Post by snowpeach06 » Thu Apr 08, 2010 12:21 pm

Z3RO wrote:
snowpeach06 wrote:I'm on a few waitlists. But, I'm having a hard time convincing myself it will be worth the extra money to actually go to them. They are only in the lower T1, upper T2. Good locations, but not a great value and with my 5 bajillion papers due in the coming weeks, I also feel like I don't have the writing ability or time to write LOCI's. Yay for being a slacker?
How long do you expect it to really take you to write a LOCI? Half an hour? 45 minutes?

I guess if the schools aren't worth that much commitment to you, that says something about whether they'd be worth you $$ and time.

Right now I'm riding 4 lists (I count "hold" as waitlist), waiting for NYU to make it 5. Rough cycle, but maybe being on 5 lists gives me a decent chance of getting off one of them.
I think the thing is that I know I really like them. But, realistically, 40k a year for tuition + living in an expensive city isn't all that feasible for me. I don't anticipate big law, so it's like 3 years of happiness being in a nice city, but being rather unhappy when I have mountains of debt later. Or being somewhat unhappy now, but without all the debt. As much as my heart wants to take on the debt, my mind tells me that to do so is retarded.

gdane

Diamond

Post by gdane » Thu Apr 08, 2010 12:25 pm

Mr. Snowpeach,

If the school you're referring to is American, then you should just withdraw from the waitlist. Im trying as much as I can to be accepted off the waitlist. Im sending a third LOCI in the upcoming week and I'm just thinking positive thoughts. I know you said you were interested in AU, but if you're not even going to try then just withdraw. It would be really great if someone, not just me, was accepted off the waitlist because a number of spots opened up.

Just a suggestion. Youre free to ride it out if you want.

snowpeach06

Gold

Post by snowpeach06 » Thu Apr 08, 2010 12:59 pm

gdane5 wrote:Mr. Snowpeach,

If the school you're referring to is American, then you should just withdraw from the waitlist. Im trying as much as I can to be accepted off the waitlist. Im sending a third LOCI in the upcoming week and I'm just thinking positive thoughts. I know you said you were interested in AU, but if you're not even going to try then just withdraw. It would be really great if someone, not just me, was accepted off the waitlist because a number of spots opened up.

Just a suggestion. Youre free to ride it out if you want.
It's Ms. snowpeach. I should probably change my avatar.

Anyway, I am considering doing that. But, I don't want to do it before I know, 100% that I won't be willing to pay the price tag. Right now I do think that is the case, but I liked it, and everyone says there aren't opportunities coming from there since it is 4th or 5th or whatever, but there are. And I do have free housing in DC. So, of all the waitlists I would stay on, that would be it. Sometimes I look at things like fate, like if I get off the waitlist I should just go. But, yeah, as you can see I'm incredibly indecisive. And I am sorry, but, I think I'm going to stay on the list, until I make up my mind for sure. Good luck though.

And as a random thought - I wish that I somehow came into a lot of money. Stock market, can you go up or something?

gdane

Diamond

Post by gdane » Thu Apr 08, 2010 1:58 pm

Not a problem MS. Snowpeach. The funny thing is that when im not certain what gender the person im responding to is, Ill say "Mr/Ms. So and so", but for some reason this time I went straight with Mr. Shouldnt have deviated from my usual non sexist approach. Haha.

I understand what you just said. Go for it. Stay on the list. However, be more excited. There are a lot of opportunities available to you if you go to AU. People will try to dissuade you and make you think that it is a terrible school, but its not. those are the "t14 or youre a failure" people. Dont worry about it. You'll be good if you can do well at AU. Plus, you have free housing? Thats amazing! One thing im not looking forward to if I get off the waitlist is trying to find housing. The worst case scenario is if im accepted off the waitlist a few weeks before classes start. Oh that would be horrible! Honestly, Id rather take that than no acceptance at all.

snowpeach06

Gold

Post by snowpeach06 » Thu Apr 08, 2010 2:24 pm

gdane5 wrote:Not a problem MS. Snowpeach. The funny thing is that when im not certain what gender the person im responding to is, Ill say "Mr/Ms. So and so", but for some reason this time I went straight with Mr. Shouldnt have deviated from my usual non sexist approach. Haha.

I understand what you just said. Go for it. Stay on the list. However, be more excited. There are a lot of opportunities available to you if you go to AU. People will try to dissuade you and make you think that it is a terrible school, but its not. those are the "t14 or youre a failure" people. Dont worry about it. You'll be good if you can do well at AU. Plus, you have free housing? Thats amazing! One thing im not looking forward to if I get off the waitlist is trying to find housing. The worst case scenario is if im accepted off the waitlist a few weeks before classes start. Oh that would be horrible! Honestly, Id rather take that than no acceptance at all.
Especially odd because 'snowpeach' isn't exactly the most manly name out there. But, other people on here have done it too, so no worries. I think it is hard on this site because there is no gender/age info under a person's avatar, profiles don't have pictures, ect.

Anyway, I am excited about the school. I'm just not so excited about the extra 60k in debt. So we'll have to see what I wind up valuing. Also, I guess a factor is if I could handle living with my friend. She is going to GW law and has a full house to herself (her grandparents moved and just left it for her). But, she tends to have these intense panic attacks over little things. If I sneezed she would probably kick me out of the house. So, other little stuff like that to consider too. Like if it would be easier to just have my own place.

Ohh,and even if you don't get in til' the end. I'm sure some classmate would let you crash on a couch or something until you find a place. Stuff like that isn't such a big deal - its the getting in that is difficult.

Want to continue reading?

Register now to search topics and post comments!

Absolutely FREE!

alighieri

New

Post by alighieri » Thu Apr 08, 2010 4:55 pm

I'm riding out Loyola Chicago, Washington and Lee, and Kentucky. W & L said hopefully they can start contacting people around June 1st. But they also said sooner and later than that are possible too.

alighieri

New

Post by alighieri » Thu Apr 08, 2010 5:00 pm

Real quick, what's a LOCL???? I feel way out of the loop.

PlugInBaby

Bronze

Post by PlugInBaby » Thu Apr 08, 2010 5:04 pm

The only official waitlist I am on is Seattle U's waitlist (which was part YP and part "you're evil!"). I just want to see if they can blow me away with a boffo scholarship. Considering my numbers in comparison to their usual stats...it's not inconceivable. In all likelihood though, I see myself just trying next year.

alighieri

New

Post by alighieri » Thu Apr 08, 2010 5:06 pm

Please someone tell me what a locl is. It's killing me.

Want to continue reading?

Register for access!

Did I mention it was FREE ?

PlugInBaby

Bronze

Post by PlugInBaby » Thu Apr 08, 2010 5:06 pm

alighieri wrote:Please someone tell me what a locl is. It's killing me.
It is LOCI...not LOCL...it stands for Letter Of Continued Interest.

crm

Bronze

Post by crm » Thu Apr 08, 2010 5:07 pm

alighieri wrote:Please someone tell me what a locl is. It's killing me.

LOCI: Letter of Continued Interest

gdane

Diamond

Post by gdane » Thu Apr 08, 2010 5:10 pm

A LOCI is short for Letter of Continued Interest. Its a BRIEF statement that you sent to a school that has waitlisted you in which you let them know that you're still interested in spite of being waitlisted. You also bring them up to speed on any relevant accomplishments since you submitted your application.

I will say that I had the same problem trying to figure out what a LOCI was. I would see people talking about them and I had no clue what they were. I searched for the phrase and found a bunch of threads in which they were mentioned. Then I foung the Abbreviations/Jargon Thread and that saved my life. I still go on there a lot since people on here love to use undecipherable abbreviations. Ha!

alighieri

New

Post by alighieri » Thu Apr 08, 2010 5:25 pm

Sweet, yeah I've sent one to W & L. Cool, thanks guys. I wish the admissions guy would sound as interested in me as a prospect as I am toward W & L. Just the way it goes I guess tho, haha. By the way, do you guys recommend sending via email or actual mail?

Register now!

Resources to assist law school applicants, students & graduates.

It's still FREE!

robin600

Gold

Post by robin600 » Thu Apr 08, 2010 8:24 pm

alighieri wrote:Sweet, yeah I've sent one to W & L. Cool, thanks guys. I wish the admissions guy would sound as interested in me as a prospect as I am toward W & L. Just the way it goes I guess tho, haha. By the way, do you guys recommend sending via email or actual mail?
Actual mail, then it goes directly to them and they have to open it, take the time to read it, and add it your file. When you send it email they can just print it off and be done with it.

I'm on 3 wait lists originally 12, probably be 4 soon, but I'm only gonna stick out the three. From visiting a couple of these schools and talking with admissions they don't really like it when you're on a gazillion wait lists past April 1st (then they can see all schools you've deposited at) because they don't know if you're committed to THEM. Sticking out Vandy, ND, and WM.

doinmybest

Bronze

Post by doinmybest » Thu Apr 08, 2010 8:57 pm

cardinalandgold wrote:Will only be riding out two waitlists. Duke and UVA. Don't expect to get off either.
But you're already in at Michigan, so you don't need to ride the waitlists at your safety schools :wink:

wadeny

Bronze

Post by wadeny » Thu Apr 08, 2010 8:59 pm

LOCIs can definitely help, but retaking the LSAT is usually the most surefire way to get in off a WL, assuming, of course, that you don't feel you have reached your highest realistic score already. I wish I had done it last cycle after ending up on more than half a dozen WLs without getting in off any of them (despite applying early, sending in LOCIs, visiting, etc).

dp73816

Bronze

Post by dp73816 » Thu Apr 08, 2010 9:14 pm

Withdrew from WL's at Richmond, Northeastern (had $70k from Suffolk if I wanted to live in Boston, so why would I stay on?), Marquette, Villanova, Rutgers-N, and FSU. Rutgers-Camden gave me in-state tuition and an extra $4k in scholarship money a year, so Ill essentially be paying nothing to go to school - pretty good deal, when compared to full tuition at these others.

The only schools I plan to stay on are Notre Dame (because of some Rudy-like fanciful dream) and UNC (close to hom/in-state tuition). Kind of on the fence about staying on at Miami; my uncle is senior partner is a firm down there. Although sticker at the U would be hefty ($38k a year), I am almost assured a good living upon graduation.

Realistically, I think the only way I would leave Rutgers would be Notre Dame. I have to move to Jersey in June to take advantage of the in-state tuition, but I would gladly break a lease to move to South Bend. To be a Golden Domer would somehow complete me 8)

Get unlimited access to all forums and topics

Register now!

I'm pretty sure I told you it's FREE...

clint4law

Silver

Post by clint4law » Thu Apr 08, 2010 9:22 pm

great thread....waitlisted at: Penn, Michigan, Columbia, Virginia, and UCLA.

fingers crossed

wackadoodle

New

Post by wackadoodle » Thu Apr 08, 2010 11:48 pm

Just withdrew my acceptances from USC, UCLA, NYU, and Columbia....hope the WLs start moving for you guys!!!

alighieri

New

Post by alighieri » Tue Apr 20, 2010 4:01 pm

No one off yet?!

Snoopy1216

Bronze

Post by Snoopy1216 » Tue Apr 20, 2010 4:06 pm

I thought wait lists don't start moving until late May! Could it happen sooner??

Communicate now with those who not only know what a legal education is, but can offer you worthy advice and commentary as you complete the three most educational, yet challenging years of your law related post graduate life.

Register now, it's still FREE!

alighieri

New

Post by alighieri » Tue Apr 20, 2010 4:33 pm

Snoopy1216 wrote:I thought wait lists don't start moving until late May! Could it happen sooner??

You're probably right, dammit.

gerghk

New

Post by gerghk » Fri Apr 23, 2010 2:47 am

Waitlisted at Harvard, Stanford, Columbia, Chicago, Michigan, Virginia, Georgetown... :-/

PDaddy

Gold

Post by PDaddy » Fri Apr 23, 2010 3:19 am

CmonSD wrote:I will be riding out 5, possibly 6. Hopefully one bites.
Don't count on it. I was on as many as 12 last year. Though I got into some very good law schools, none of the 12 admitted me.

as stars burn

Silver

Post by as stars burn » Fri Apr 23, 2010 8:57 am

sternc wrote:Do you think a LOCI is an absolute necessity for getting off a wait-list? If not, I wonder how much they really help. I'm just curious.
I sent a LOCI to Illinois just because Dean Pless (admissions dean from Illinois) frequents this board, and he said it was a good idea to show you'd still like to come. I sent one right away after he said that...I'd shed blood to get in. Though, it depends on the school IMO.

Seriously? What are you waiting for?

Now there's a charge.
Just kidding ... it's still FREE!

Return to “Law School Acceptances, Denials, and Waitlists”