Off the Waitlist! Forum

Share Your Experiences, Read About Other Experiences. Please keep posts organized by school and expected year of graduation.
Snazzygirl

New

Off the Waitlist!

Post by Snazzygirl » Wed Apr 07, 2010 12:18 pm

Since first deposit deposit deadlines are beginning to pass, wait list activity should *hopefully* gain some steam over the next few weeks.

So from which school(s) have you received a call for an open seat with your name on it? Let us (me!) know which schools are starting to pull from their wait lists!

xokel87

Bronze

Re: Off the Waitlist!

Post by xokel87 » Wed Apr 07, 2010 12:25 pm

Snazzygirl wrote:Since first deposit deposit deadlines are beginning to pass, wait list activity should *hopefully* gain some steam over the next few weeks.

So from which school(s) have you received a call for an open seat with your name on it? Let us (me!) know which schools are starting to pull from their wait lists!
I consider myself a bit of a waitlist expert, currently being on 7, likely on 9 by the end of this cycle. Most have said that they won't even look at us again til mid to late May.. but we can always hope. I have my fingers crossed, for sure.

CmonSD

Bronze

Post by CmonSD » Wed Apr 07, 2010 12:32 pm

I will be riding out 5, possibly 6. Hopefully one bites.

Snazzygirl

New

Post by Snazzygirl » Wed Apr 07, 2010 1:07 pm

xokel87 wrote:
Snazzygirl wrote:Since first deposit deposit deadlines are beginning to pass, wait list activity should *hopefully* gain some steam over the next few weeks.

I consider myself a bit of a waitlist expert, currently being on 7, likely on 9 by the end of this cycle. Most have said that they won't even look at us again til mid to late May.. but we can always hope. I have my fingers crossed, for sure.
I read on the Wisconsin thread that people have gotten calls. And I talked to Dean Pless at UIUC last week and he said that, with their deadline on April 30 that offers will begin to be made the first/second week of May (should there be any...). So, who knows - maybe by the end of April/early May?!

I am currently on 6...waiting to hear from 3...in at 1...ridiculous.

cardinalandgold

Silver

Post by cardinalandgold » Wed Apr 07, 2010 1:12 pm

Will only be riding out two waitlists. Duke and UVA. Don't expect to get off either.

Want to continue reading?

Register now to search topics and post comments!

Absolutely FREE!

kswiss

Bronze

Post by kswiss » Wed Apr 07, 2010 1:13 pm

I'll be riding out

Duke (no chance)
UIUC

Was on a couple more, but I withdrew from all of them in light of other acceptances.

held at WUSTL and L&C, so hopefully I hear from them sooner.

jks289

Silver

Post by jks289 » Wed Apr 07, 2010 1:33 pm

I am on waitlists for UCLA, Georgetown, Duke, Chicago, Hastings, W&M, and Notre Dame. May add Cornell and Northwestern before the cycle is over. Withdrawing or withdrew from the last three. Not much hope on any of the remaining, but I'll try my best. I'm finding it really hard to write LOCIs at this point. After so many personal statements, diversity statements, Why Xs, and inital LOCIs I am just tapped out.

xokel87

Bronze

Post by xokel87 » Wed Apr 07, 2010 1:38 pm

WL at Columbia, UPenn, Berkeley, UCLA, UVA, Georgetown... Likely will be WL at USC and rejected from NYU soon. Actively trying to get off the Columbia & UPenn lists (Columbia is my #1) and don't see the harm in waiting on the others.

JIsaacSmith

New

Post by JIsaacSmith » Wed Apr 07, 2010 1:44 pm

cardinalandgold wrote:Will only be riding out two waitlists. Duke and UVA. Don't expect to get off either.
Funny..
I'm on these two waitlists also, and DEFINITELY don't expect getting off of them... wish I could say otherwise though

Want to continue reading?

Register for access!

Did I mention it was FREE ?

cendien

Bronze

Post by cendien » Wed Apr 07, 2010 1:44 pm

WL at Texas, UCLA, and BC at the moment. May be adding Cornell (currently held), Vandy and USC to this list soon. I'll probably ride them all out, but Texas, Cornell and Vandy are the only three that would probably be worth it to me to take a sticker based offer after I deposit elsewhere.

ihatethelsat

New

Post by ihatethelsat » Wed Apr 07, 2010 3:30 pm

Waitlisted at 8 schools now, really hoping University of Minnesota comes through for me.

Genericswingman

New

Post by Genericswingman » Wed Apr 07, 2010 10:24 pm

Anyone have a hypothesis (in general) on how waitlisters will fare this year relative to prior years?

From a look at LSN, it seems like most people apply to 10-20 schools; and I'm sure the law schools have statistical models that account for the jump in applications from prior years. But, looking at the yield rate at the LSAC website, it seems that most schools (not the T-14 schools but your average state school) have a yield rate of roughly 33%. I can't imagine yield rates like that when the average person is applying to 15 schools. So, does anyone think that schools will be going to the waitlist in record percentage numbers this year?

(I hope so)

Snoopy1216

Bronze

Post by Snoopy1216 » Wed Apr 07, 2010 10:31 pm

Do you all think waitlist ppl will hear before the 2nd deposit is due? :shock:

Register now!

Resources to assist law school applicants, students & graduates.

It's still FREE!

Genericswingman

New

Post by Genericswingman » Wed Apr 07, 2010 10:39 pm

Most of my waitlist letter say that the waitlist will not be evaluated until after (for schools who have two seat deposits) the second seat deposit. When I look at the prior year waitlist-to-accepted applicants on LSN, they seem to fall around the same time as my letters indicated...I would love to hear something early but I'm not expecting anything until mid-May

CmonSD

Bronze

Post by CmonSD » Thu Apr 08, 2010 1:21 am

I assume I won't hear until after the second deposit, since all of the schools require the full amount immediately should they extend an offer.

snowpeach06

Gold

Post by snowpeach06 » Thu Apr 08, 2010 10:18 am

I'm on a few waitlists. But, I'm having a hard time convincing myself it will be worth the extra money to actually go to them. They are only in the lower T1, upper T2. Good locations, but not a great value and with my 5 bajillion papers due in the coming weeks, I also feel like I don't have the writing ability or time to write LOCI's. Yay for being a slacker?

Slimpee

Silver

Post by Slimpee » Thu Apr 08, 2010 10:31 am

I'm going to ride-out MN and probably WM as well.

Here's to hoping!

Get unlimited access to all forums and topics

Register now!

I'm pretty sure I told you it's FREE...

Z3RO

Silver

Post by Z3RO » Thu Apr 08, 2010 10:34 am

snowpeach06 wrote:I'm on a few waitlists. But, I'm having a hard time convincing myself it will be worth the extra money to actually go to them. They are only in the lower T1, upper T2. Good locations, but not a great value and with my 5 bajillion papers due in the coming weeks, I also feel like I don't have the writing ability or time to write LOCI's. Yay for being a slacker?
How long do you expect it to really take you to write a LOCI? Half an hour? 45 minutes?

I guess if the schools aren't worth that much commitment to you, that says something about whether they'd be worth you $$ and time.

Right now I'm riding 4 lists (I count "hold" as waitlist), waiting for NYU to make it 5. Rough cycle, but maybe being on 5 lists gives me a decent chance of getting off one of them.
Last edited by Z3RO on Thu Apr 08, 2010 10:44 am, edited 1 time in total.

tintin

Silver

Post by tintin » Thu Apr 08, 2010 10:34 am

I will be riding Berkeley's....well, depending on where I am. If I'm at the bottom of the list I don't see much point.

as stars burn

Silver

Post by as stars burn » Thu Apr 08, 2010 11:17 am

I'm on 7 waitlists, but only plan on riding out 2: UNC and University of Illinois

Genericswingman

New

Post by Genericswingman » Thu Apr 08, 2010 11:31 am

I applied to seven schools & I've been waitlisted at three (my top three) and on hold at another. However, they are all Tier 2 schools so I hope there is enough movement in Tier 1 to get me into one of those three. Good luck to everyone; hopefully May will be a satisfying month.

(oh, and I plan to write, and possibly visit, each of my three top choices)

Communicate now with those who not only know what a legal education is, but can offer you worthy advice and commentary as you complete the three most educational, yet challenging years of your law related post graduate life.

Register now, it's still FREE!

sternc

Bronze

Post by sternc » Thu Apr 08, 2010 11:38 am

Do you think a LOCI is an absolute necessity for getting off a wait-list? If not, I wonder how much they really help. I'm just curious.

Genericswingman

New

Post by Genericswingman » Thu Apr 08, 2010 12:09 pm

sternc wrote:Do you think a LOCI is an absolute necessity for getting off a wait-list? If not, I wonder how much they really help. I'm just curious.
I don't think they are a necessity (and, if I were you, I wouldn't send one to LSU or South Carolina if you happened to be on their waitlist :wink: )

bceagles182

Silver

Post by bceagles182 » Thu Apr 08, 2010 12:16 pm

Only riding out BC's but I think (/hope) I've got an above average shot.

bceagles182

Silver

Post by bceagles182 » Thu Apr 08, 2010 12:17 pm

sternc wrote:Do you think a LOCI is an absolute necessity for getting off a wait-list? If not, I wonder how much they really help. I'm just curious.
From everything I've heard, the simple answer to this is yes.

Seriously? What are you waiting for?

Now there's a charge.
Just kidding ... it's still FREE!

Return to “Law School Acceptances, Denials, and Waitlists”