Still no word

Share Your Experiences, Read About Other Experiences. Please keep posts organized by school and expected year of graduation.
elm84dr

Still no word

Postby elm84dr » Wed Apr 07, 2010 9:40 am

I have been complete since early January and have not heard back from two schools: Boston College and Columbia. These are two schools that I have been waitlisted at in the past and I just wanted some feedback on what may be going on. The BC status check still says under review. Is it safe to assume this is going to be another waitlist/rejection?

williamvspanos

Re: Still no word

Postby williamvspanos » Wed Apr 07, 2010 11:00 am

l
Last edited by williamvspanos on Tue Sep 21, 2010 1:52 pm, edited 1 time in total.

elm84dr

Postby elm84dr » Wed Apr 07, 2010 11:02 am

I'm hoping...I feel like I've gotten all my rejections. I mean, why would it take so long to just reject some one? The last 2 letters I got were an acceptance and a waitlist. I guess I just have to wait and see.

elm84dr

Postby elm84dr » Wed Apr 07, 2010 12:18 pm

Anyone else have feedback/experiencing this?

finalaspects

Postby finalaspects » Wed Apr 07, 2010 12:19 pm

people need to stop complaining about applying in 2010 and not hearing back.... if you applied in 2009 it is thread worthy but not in 2010. have some patience.

i'm waiting on 4 schools still and i applied in Oct and im not going around making threads about it.

dakatz

Postby dakatz » Wed Apr 07, 2010 12:22 pm

So NYU is actually pushing it to the last week for me, after I applied in October. I guess, as long as I get it before the 15th then I can deal with it. What is their deposit deadline anyway? I hope it is the 15th, like pretty much every other school.

dakatz

Postby dakatz » Wed Apr 07, 2010 12:28 pm

Just called up the NYU admissions office and sorta went off on the woman who handles the phones. She told me that there is no actual decision deadline, and that all applicants who were complete by February 1 (I applied in October) will hear back by the "end of April". So I flipped out when I heard that since, after going out of my way to apply early, they essentially are forcing me to put down a $250 deposit somewhere else just in order to hear what my decision is! After waiting half a year! Man, **** NYU and all the schools that have this superiority complex going.
Last edited by dakatz on Wed Apr 07, 2010 12:56 pm, edited 1 time in total.

clintonius

Postby clintonius » Wed Apr 07, 2010 12:40 pm

Please let that be flame. There's nothing good you're doing by yelling at the person who answers the phone. Yelling at the dean might do something (get you rejected), but don't be a dick to any more office workers, yeah?

elm84dr

Postby elm84dr » Wed Apr 07, 2010 12:45 pm

My application was submitted in early December, but went complete in the beginning of January. Three months and some change. I am patient, I just wanted to know if hearing this late after implies a rejection, waitlist, or could mean anything at all.

dakatz

Postby dakatz » Wed Apr 07, 2010 12:52 pm

clintonius wrote:Please let that be flame. There's nothing good you're doing by yelling at the person who answers the phone. Yelling at the dean might do something (get you rejected), but don't be a dick to any more office workers, yeah?

Didn't yell at her. In fact, I was quite polite, though stern. I just told her how terribly inconsiderate that seemed, and explained that it simply isn't right to force an October applicant to put down another deposit just for the "right" to get a decision. If I applied late, then sure, I can understand, but not when I've been waiting 6 months. I didn't berate her or anything, just the process they are using, and asked that she forward what I said to someone who could actually do something about it (i.e. some Dean in the office). Its a week before the decision deadline and I look to have my decision made within the next 3 or 4 days. I couldn't care less if they rejected me at this point.

darknightbegins

Postby darknightbegins » Wed Apr 07, 2010 12:58 pm

I haven't heard back from a few schools either. I assume I am waitlisted or on hold at those schools though. But a school making you put down a seat deposit when you don't even know if you actually do have a seat is absurd. If those schools are really asking you to do that I'd take that money and spend it on something else...look booze.

dakatz

Postby dakatz » Wed Apr 07, 2010 1:00 pm

darknightbegins wrote:I haven't heard back from a few schools either. I assume I am waitlisted or on hold at those schools though. But a school making you put down a seat deposit when you don't even know if you actually do have a seat is absurd. If those schools are really asking you to do that I'd take that money and spend it on something else...look booze.

Oh no, I think you misread my post. NYU isn't making us put down a seat deposit there in order to get a decision from them. Its just that most schools have an April 15th deadline. So I have to put down a deposit at another school, which isn't even my top choice (NYU is), just in order to get a decision from NYU. Obviously, if I don't put a deposit down anywhere on the 15th, NYU may still reject me and I'd be left with nowhere to go.

legalease9

Postby legalease9 » Wed Apr 07, 2010 1:04 pm

dakatz wrote:
clintonius wrote:Please let that be flame. There's nothing good you're doing by yelling at the person who answers the phone. Yelling at the dean might do something (get you rejected), but don't be a dick to any more office workers, yeah?

Didn't yell at her. In fact, I was quite polite, though stern. I just told her how terribly inconsiderate that seemed, and explained that it simply isn't right to force an October applicant to put down another deposit just for the "right" to get a decision. If I applied late, then sure, I can understand, but not when I've been waiting 6 months. I didn't berate her or anything, just the process they are using, and asked that she forward what I said to someone who could actually do something about it (i.e. some Dean in the office). Its a week before the decision deadline and I look to have my decision made within the next 3 or 4 days. I couldn't care less if they rejected me at this point.

Good thing, because now they probably will. Pressuring the dean to "speed up" his decision process will get him to speed you up to the rejection pile.

dakatz

Postby dakatz » Wed Apr 07, 2010 1:08 pm

legalease9 wrote:
dakatz wrote:

Good thing, because now they probably will. Pressuring the dean to "speed up" his decision process will get him to speed you up to the rejection pile.

Yeah, god forbid I ask the almighty to move at more than a snail's pace, right? Lol I'm so sick of being on my knees and treating these people as if they were better than any of us. It becomes like a joke past a certain point. They pressure us and rush us all the time to meet deadlines and to do everything in our power to expedite the process. Yet god forbid we ask them to try doing the same.

pertristis

Postby pertristis » Wed Apr 07, 2010 1:13 pm

Caller ID can be a killer ...

dakatz

Postby dakatz » Wed Apr 07, 2010 1:15 pm

pertristis wrote:Caller ID can be a killer ...

I'm making my school choice in 3 or 4 days among the options I have. Makes no difference to me what NYU does at this point. The cycle is pretty much over.

Postby 174 » Wed Apr 07, 2010 1:30 pm

dakatz wrote:
Yeah, god forbid I ask the almighty to move at more than a snail's pace, right? Lol I'm so sick of being on my knees and treating these people as if they were better than any of us. It becomes like a joke past a certain point. They pressure us and rush us all the time to meet deadlines and to do everything in our power to expedite the process. Yet god forbid we ask them to try doing the same.

Why so entitled? The way I see it, every day I don't receive a rejection letter is a gift.

darknightbegins

Postby darknightbegins » Wed Apr 07, 2010 1:32 pm

dakatz wrote:
darknightbegins wrote:I haven't heard back from a few schools either. I assume I am waitlisted or on hold at those schools though. But a school making you put down a seat deposit when you don't even know if you actually do have a seat is absurd. If those schools are really asking you to do that I'd take that money and spend it on something else...look booze.

Oh no, I think you misread my post. NYU isn't making us put down a seat deposit there in order to get a decision from them. Its just that most schools have an April 15th deadline. So I have to put down a deposit at another school, which isn't even my top choice (NYU is), just in order to get a decision from NYU. Obviously, if I don't put a deposit down anywhere on the 15th, NYU may still reject me and I'd be left with nowhere to go.

Alright I'm sorry I misunderstood that. In a way NYU is still making you scratch the check but plenty of people throw down more than one seat deposit for the fist deadline. Pay to play I guess.

darknightbegins

Postby darknightbegins » Wed Apr 07, 2010 1:33 pm

174 wrote:
dakatz wrote:

Why so entitled? The way I see it, every day I don't receive a rejection letter is a gift.

Guess you aren't hard to please when it comes around Birthday and Christmas time.

legalease9

Postby legalease9 » Wed Apr 07, 2010 1:35 pm

dakatz wrote:
legalease9 wrote:
dakatz wrote:

In NYU's defense, they haven't gone past their late April deadline that they promised on their website when you applied. I, too, am waiting on an NYU decision and will have to deposit elsewhere, so I feel your pain. But chewing out the receptionist for being "inconsiderate" is over the top.

vshah88

Postby vshah88 » Wed Apr 07, 2010 1:38 pm

I still haven't heard back from eleven schools: Alabama, BU, Chicago-Kent, Columbia, Duke, FSU, GW, UNC, ND, Temple or Vandy. I applied in January, besides Temple (03/01 ha).

I find myself compulsively looking in my mailbox two, three times a day only to discover nothing! This is miserable.

darknightbegins

Postby darknightbegins » Wed Apr 07, 2010 1:40 pm

+1 The receptionist has nothing to do with admissions. Unfortunately she gets shit on because she has to deal with the public. If you really want to chew someone out then send a letter to the dean of admissions, spare the receptionsit the ear full. His/her job is likely difficult already.

CmonSD

Postby CmonSD » Wed Apr 07, 2010 1:41 pm

elm84dr wrote:My application was submitted in early December, but went complete in the beginning of January. Three months and some change. I am patient, I just wanted to know if hearing this late after implies a rejection, waitlist, or could mean anything at all.

Still waiting on my top choices. Applied back in November. With the exception of one (which will probably be a rejection), the others should be waitlist/accept territory. I am not putting a deposit on any of my safeties so hopefully someone comes around soon!

darknightbegins

Postby darknightbegins » Wed Apr 07, 2010 1:41 pm

vshah88 wrote:I still haven't heard back from eleven schools: Alabama, BU, Chicago-Kent, Columbia, Duke, FSU, GW, UNC, ND, Temple or Vandy. I applied in January, besides Temple (03/01 ha).

I find myself compulsively looking in my mailbox two, three times a day only to discover nothing! This is miserable.

I applied to Bama in Jan. too, it was my latest app as most of mine went out in November or early December. I am not as upset with them because I didn't make the early admission cut off date. However if May rolls around and still no word then I will get frustrated.

vshah88

Postby vshah88 » Wed Apr 07, 2010 1:46 pm

CmonSD wrote:
elm84dr wrote:My application was submitted in early December, but went complete in the beginning of January. Three months and some change. I am patient, I just wanted to know if hearing this late after implies a rejection, waitlist, or could mean anything at all.

Still waiting on my top choices. Applied back in November. With the exception of one (which will probably be a rejection), the others should be waitlist/accept territory. I am not putting a deposit on any of my safeties so hopefully someone comes around soon!

That's ballsy...

Return to “Law School Acceptances, Denials, and Waitlists”