Oh my god, I can't believe I only applied to 10 schools. Forum

Share Your Experiences, Read About Other Experiences. Please keep posts organized by school and expected year of graduation.
GermX

Silver

Oh my god, I can't believe I only applied to 10 schools.

Post by GermX » Mon Apr 05, 2010 2:40 pm

I got into 2/10 schools so far (fordham, gw law) , with 1 pending (cornell), 3 waitlists (ucla, BU and BC) and 4 rejections (USC, Northwestern, Chicago and Georgetown).

Oh my god, I can't believe I risked this much. I could have easily been rejected even from Fordham and GW Law, or waitlisted. I should thank every god known to mankind for the opportunity to attend these respectable law schools...but seriously, what was I thinking? Anyone with a 3.4 and 169 would have sent out double my applications- am I insane?

Kiersten1985

Silver

Re: Oh my god, I can't believe I only applied to 10 schools.

Post by Kiersten1985 » Mon Apr 05, 2010 2:41 pm

Live and learn. You can always decide to reapply next cycle.

GermX

Silver

Post by GermX » Mon Apr 05, 2010 2:46 pm

To warn anyone who thinks that "meh, 10 schools is enough I should get into one!!" not to take that risk. I mean I'm glad I got into 2 great schools, but man, the risk was huge.

OperaSoprano

Gold

Post by OperaSoprano » Mon Apr 05, 2010 2:47 pm

I applied to 9 or 10 schools, and actually thought it was a lot, because there were approximately three schools I would realistically attend that would have taken me with my numbers. Splitter cycles are unpredictable, but if you know where you want to practice, you don't have to paper the entire T30. (I know there are exceptions, and at least one person had an amazing cycle because he applied to about 30 schools, but you don't have to do this if you take a targeted approach. If you applied to all the schools you wanted to attend, you shouldn't feel bad at all.)

bceagles182

Silver

Post by bceagles182 » Mon Apr 05, 2010 2:49 pm

This thread is silly. 10 schools is more than enough for most applicants. Your mistake was not including a single safety school. You should have applied to one tier two.

Want to continue reading?

Register now to search topics and post comments!

Absolutely FREE!

Threepeat

Bronze

Post by Threepeat » Mon Apr 05, 2010 2:49 pm

GermX wrote:To warn anyone who thinks that "meh, 10 schools is enough I should get into one!!" not to take that risk. I mean I'm glad I got into 2 great schools, but man, the risk was huge.
You realize it's not solely the quantity of schools applied to, but also the reasonableness of an acceptance. Somebody with a 154/3.0 could apply to all T30 schools and still not get an acceptance. Maybe the lesson should be "Don't forget to apply to safeties".

Edit: Sorry for repeating the same point. 3 poster beat me to it.
Last edited by Threepeat on Mon Apr 05, 2010 2:51 pm, edited 1 time in total.

cutiewiddlebebe

Bronze

Post by cutiewiddlebebe » Mon Apr 05, 2010 2:50 pm

With those numbers, I am surprised you are not in at BU and BC, as they are pretty shitty schools, if we are not pulling punches.

DarkwingDick

New

Post by DarkwingDick » Mon Apr 05, 2010 2:51 pm

Deleted. I need to read more carefully.

bceagles182

Silver

Post by bceagles182 » Mon Apr 05, 2010 2:52 pm

cutiewiddlebebe wrote:With those numbers, I am surprised you are not in at BU and BC, as they are pretty shitty schools, if we are not pulling punches.
You're an idiot.

edit:

Here's why

--LinkRemoved--

http://www.ropesgray.com/professionals/ ... 5b8f3732b2

Ropes & Gray is the highest ranked among Boston-based firm in the latest vault rankings. I could delve deeper but I'm pretty sure the point is made.
Last edited by bceagles182 on Mon Apr 05, 2010 3:03 pm, edited 3 times in total.

Want to continue reading?

Register for access!

Did I mention it was FREE ?

tinman

Bronze

Post by tinman » Mon Apr 05, 2010 2:55 pm

GermX wrote:I got into 2/10 schools so far (fordham, gw law) , with 1 pending (cornell), 3 waitlists (ucla, BU and BC) and 4 rejections (USC, Northwestern, Chicago and Georgetown).

Oh my god, I can't believe I risked this much. I could have easily been rejected even from Fordham and GW Law, or waitlisted. I should thank every god known to mankind for the opportunity to attend these respectable law schools...but seriously, what was I thinking? Anyone with a 3.4 and 169 would have sent out double my applications- am I insane?
This is not silly if you stagger you applications. For example, some people get into Duke via priority track (in early fall) or even Harvard the day before Thanksgiving. These are of course lofty goals, but if you are in T14 range, then throwing out an app to Duke can save you the money from applying to more than 10 schools.

It behooves anyone who has not heard from anywhere by Feb 1st to throw out some more apps, I think.

somewhatwayward

Silver

Post by somewhatwayward » Mon Apr 05, 2010 3:09 pm

bceagles182 wrote:
cutiewiddlebebe wrote:With those numbers, I am surprised you are not in at BU and BC, as they are pretty shitty schools, if we are not pulling punches.
You're an idiot.

edit:

Here's why

--LinkRemoved--

Ropes & Gray is the highest ranked among Boston-based firm in the latest vault rankings. I could delve deeper but I'm pretty sure the point is made.
.....says "bceagles", heh....not that i disagree

i only applied to eight, in at five so far

hannibalhamlin61

New

Post by hannibalhamlin61 » Mon Apr 05, 2010 3:12 pm

I only applied to 5 schools. I'm not sure that there are 10 schools in this country that I would personally consider attending with regards to location & career goals. So, for me, throwing out extra applications just to put more acceptance letters on the refrigerator didn't seem like a great idea.
You are an idiot.

cutiewiddlebebe

Bronze

Post by cutiewiddlebebe » Mon Apr 05, 2010 3:15 pm

bceagles182 wrote:
You're an idiot.

edit:

Here's why

--LinkRemoved--

Yes, but Boston, and New England in general, is such a low-class, inbred-WASP, angry, bitter, loud, obnoxious part of the country. I can't imagine why anyone without masochistic predilections would choose to practice there, given better options.

Further, and let's not mince words, Boston truly is a secondary, if not tertiary, legal market.

Register now!

Resources to assist law school applicants, students & graduates.

It's still FREE!

hiromoto45

Silver

Post by hiromoto45 » Mon Apr 05, 2010 3:21 pm

A downside to apply to more than 10 schools is waiting to hear back. Even from schools you know you won't attend but want to see if you got in.

GermX

Silver

Post by GermX » Mon Apr 05, 2010 3:22 pm

Now I have to make the fucking difficult decision between Fordham and GW Law. Seriously, which one would you guys rather attend, assuming you want to practice in New York? It just seems to be an issue of prestige, GW Law seems to have a bigger name in the country and Fordham is relatively unknown outside of New York..

GermX

Silver

Post by GermX » Mon Apr 05, 2010 3:24 pm

^ Which school has better employment statistics overall?

GermX

Silver

Post by GermX » Mon Apr 05, 2010 3:30 pm

Because I would rather have a job in Washington D.C. than no job in NY.

Get unlimited access to all forums and topics

Register now!

I'm pretty sure I told you it's FREE...

PoorOrpheus

Bronze

Post by PoorOrpheus » Mon Apr 05, 2010 3:31 pm

hannibalhamlin61 wrote:I only applied to 5 schools. I'm not sure that there are 10 schools in this country that I would personally consider attending with regards to location & career goals. So, for me, throwing out extra applications just to put more acceptance letters on the refrigerator didn't seem like a great idea.
I also only applied to 5 schools. I don't understand the reason anyone would apply to more schools than necessary simply because they received a fee waiver or "just to see if they could get in" even if they have absolutely no intention of attending if accepted. I'm not saying OP did this, but it's something I've noticed on these boards and can't wrap my head around.

OP, your school list was reasonable with your numbers. It's just the way your cycle played out and you did manage to get into two great schools. Good luck with your choice and don't look back.

PlugInBaby

Bronze

Post by PlugInBaby » Mon Apr 05, 2010 3:37 pm

I only applied to six and I fully regret it. I regret it more for the fact that my focus was too narrow and that I did not apply to a wide array of schools. I fully plan on retaking the LSAT and applying to more than ten schools next time around as adcomms can be rather unpredictable. Take a machine gun to a target and you are very likely to hit the bullseye...sort of how Family Guy approaches comedy.

jl2032

Bronze

Post by jl2032 » Mon Apr 05, 2010 3:37 pm

I applied to 4 schools (Columbia, NYU, Cornell, and Fordham) because these were the only four schools I would attend if admitted. In at Fordham($$$), no news on the other 3.

Later on, Penn, Vandy and Duke sent me fee waivers so I sent a few over there as well. In at Penn and Vandy($$). No news from Duke.

I hate this slow cycle.

GATORTIM

Silver

Post by GATORTIM » Mon Apr 05, 2010 3:39 pm

can't you only attend 1

Communicate now with those who not only know what a legal education is, but can offer you worthy advice and commentary as you complete the three most educational, yet challenging years of your law related post graduate life.

Register now, it's still FREE!

SaintClarence27

Silver

Post by SaintClarence27 » Mon Apr 05, 2010 3:39 pm

PlugInBaby wrote:I only applied to six and I fully regret it. I regret it more for the fact that my focus was too narrow and that I did not apply to a wide array of schools. I fully plan on retaking the LSAT and applying to more than ten schools next time around as adcomms can be rather unpredictable. Take a machine gun to a target and you are very likely to hit the bullseye...sort of how Family Guy approaches comedy.
Take a machine gun and feed it to a question mark. THAT is how Family Guy approaches "comedy."

(SP got it right)

hannibalhamlin61

New

Post by hannibalhamlin61 » Mon Apr 05, 2010 3:42 pm

PlugInBaby wrote:I only applied to six and I fully regret it. I regret it more for the fact that my focus was too narrow and that I did not apply to a wide array of schools. I fully plan on retaking the LSAT and applying to more than ten schools next time around as adcomms can be rather unpredictable. Take a machine gun to a target and you are very likely to hit the bullseye...sort of how Family Guy approaches comedy.
Even when each bullet costs you $82? (assuming you don't have fee-waivers).

If your only goal is to go to a Tier1 School, regardless or location or career goals, I guess carpet-bomb, but I can't imagine you would actually want to go to every school you hit...

Also, Family Guy has gone to hell. I'm sure it's something you want to model your life after, even losely.

Boba Fett

New

Post by Boba Fett » Mon Apr 05, 2010 3:44 pm

bceagles182 wrote:
You're an idiot.

edit:

Here's why

--LinkRemoved--

+1 . Both BU and BC are much better than Yale.

Here's why

--LinkRemoved--

SilverE2

Silver

Post by SilverE2 » Mon Apr 05, 2010 3:45 pm

Uh, did you apply late or is there something wrong with your apps? I have one less lsat point than you and a 3.5 and my cycle went much better. Just wondering what happened...not gloating.

Seriously? What are you waiting for?

Now there's a charge.
Just kidding ... it's still FREE!

Return to “Law School Acceptances, Denials, and Waitlists”