Oh my god, I can't believe I only applied to 10 schools. Forum

Share Your Experiences, Read About Other Experiences. Please keep posts organized by school and expected year of graduation.
hannibalhamlin61

New

Re: Oh my god, I can't believe I only applied to 10 schools.

Post by hannibalhamlin61 » Mon Apr 05, 2010 3:46 pm

SilverE2 wrote:Uh, did you apply late or is there something wrong with your apps? I have one less lsat point than you and a 3.5 and my cycle went much better. Just wondering what happened...not gloating.
How is your cycle much better? Because you got into BU?

soonergirl

Bronze

Post by soonergirl » Mon Apr 05, 2010 3:46 pm

jl2032 wrote:I applied to 4 schools (Columbia, NYU, Cornell, and Fordham) because these were the only four schools I would attend if admitted.
yeah, I can't believe how many schools some people apply to. I only applied to three. Added a fourth when I hadn't heard from any by 12/1. Only drawback to my approach was I didn't have as many offers to use as leverage when negotiating scholarships, but other than that it worked for me.

Boba Fett

New

Post by Boba Fett » Mon Apr 05, 2010 3:47 pm

hannibalhamlin61 wrote:
SilverE2 wrote:Uh, did you apply late or is there something wrong with your apps? I have one less lsat point than you and a 3.5 and my cycle went much better. Just wondering what happened...not gloating.
No, no. It's surely because he made the Georgetown waiting list!

jl2032

Bronze

Post by jl2032 » Mon Apr 05, 2010 3:52 pm

soonergirl wrote:
jl2032 wrote:I applied to 4 schools (Columbia, NYU, Cornell, and Fordham) because these were the only four schools I would attend if admitted.
yeah, I can't believe how many schools some people apply to. I only applied to three. Added a fourth when I hadn't heard from any by 12/1. Only drawback to my approach was I didn't have as many offers to use as leverage when negotiating scholarships, but other than that it worked for me.

Yeah, I heard Vanderbilt was a good school for that since they hand out scholly's like candy. So, I took them up on the fee waiver. I held on to the scholarship letter to get money out of Fordham, but it seems I didn't need to.

PlugInBaby

Bronze

Post by PlugInBaby » Mon Apr 05, 2010 3:52 pm

hannibalhamlin61 wrote:
PlugInBaby wrote:I only applied to six and I fully regret it. I regret it more for the fact that my focus was too narrow and that I did not apply to a wide array of schools. I fully plan on retaking the LSAT and applying to more than ten schools next time around as adcomms can be rather unpredictable. Take a machine gun to a target and you are very likely to hit the bullseye...sort of how Family Guy approaches comedy.
Even when each bullet costs you $82? (assuming you don't have fee-waivers).

If your only goal is to go to a Tier1 School, regardless or location or career goals, I guess carpet-bomb, but I can't imagine you would actually want to go to every school you hit...

Also, Family Guy has gone to hell. I'm sure it's something you want to model your life after, even losely.
Personally I think 10 is the most you should ever pay applications fee for provided you are serious about attending the school (a bit of an arbitrary number I know, but I feel 10 offers a variety of reach, target, and safety while accounting for variability among the individual adcomms) From there I would plan to be a fee waiver whore for any school you are remotely interested in attending. Sometimes an unexpected mind-blowing scholarship offer can put a long shot school in a far different perspective.

I never really cared for Family Guy. It's just joke after joke after joke after joke. Most of them are not even remotely humorous, but jokes are thrown at you so often you are bound to find one that will tickle your funny bone perfectly. Hence the analogy.

Want to continue reading?

Register now to search topics and post comments!

Absolutely FREE!

hannibalhamlin61

New

Post by hannibalhamlin61 » Mon Apr 05, 2010 3:54 pm

Boba Fett wrote:
hannibalhamlin61 wrote:
No, no. It's surely because he made the Georgetown waiting list!
I admire his optimism. I just don't fully understand it.

Don't get me wrong BU is a great school, despite what that sack-of-shit cutiewiddlebebe says, but it's the only one I see in the green...

GermX

Silver

Post by GermX » Mon Apr 05, 2010 3:56 pm

I just don't see how his cycle is better, one acceptance from BU, I got two acceptances from schools that aren't that much lower ranked.

hannibalhamlin61

New

Post by hannibalhamlin61 » Mon Apr 05, 2010 3:58 pm

GermX wrote:I just don't see how his cycle is better, one acceptance from BU, I got two acceptances from schools that aren't that much lower ranked.
That's what I'm trying to figure out. You should be trying to figure out where you want to go to school....

GermX

Silver

Post by GermX » Mon Apr 05, 2010 4:03 pm

I've been leaning on Fordham a lot because I like NYC and it seems great, plus OperaSoprano is convincing. On the other hand, GW Law was really cool with its nice acceptance package and seems to have some awesome international law programs. I'll research more to make that decision (let's see what international law programs Fordham offers, as well as its program in Business law) before making it...but it does seem that right now, if you tell me "do you want to live and work in D.C. or in New York?"...I would have to say, New York.

Want to continue reading?

Register for access!

Did I mention it was FREE ?

cutiewiddlebebe

Bronze

Post by cutiewiddlebebe » Mon Apr 05, 2010 4:05 pm

GermX wrote:I've been leaning on Fordham a lot because I like NYC and it seems great, plus OperaSoprano is convincing. On the other hand, GW Law was really cool with its nice acceptance package and seems to have some awesome international law programs. I'll research more to make that decision (let's see what international law programs Fordham offers, as well as its program in Business law) before making it...but it does seem that right now, if you tell me "do you want to live and work in D.C. or in New York?"...I would have to say, New York.
lmao there is no fucking way you got a 169. ah hahahahaha

GermX

Silver

Post by GermX » Mon Apr 05, 2010 4:07 pm

lol, fuck you.

rayiner

Platinum

Post by rayiner » Mon Apr 05, 2010 4:12 pm

GermX wrote:I got into 2/10 schools so far (fordham, gw law) , with 1 pending (cornell), 3 waitlists (ucla, BU and BC) and 4 rejections (USC, Northwestern, Chicago and Georgetown).

Oh my god, I can't believe I risked this much. I could have easily been rejected even from Fordham and GW Law, or waitlisted. I should thank every god known to mankind for the opportunity to attend these respectable law schools...but seriously, what was I thinking? Anyone with a 3.4 and 169 would have sent out double my applications- am I insane?
I only applied to 8 schools...

There is usually no reason to do more than that. Your numbers were safe for Fordham and GW, and target for BU/BC/Cornell, and reaches for NU, USC, UCLA, Chicago, and G-Town (the CA schools because they love GPAs).

You applied where you should've and got in maybe a bit below where you should've (I'd have expected in at BU/BC). Did you apply late?

bceagles182

Silver

Post by bceagles182 » Mon Apr 05, 2010 4:16 pm

somewhatwayward wrote:
bceagles182 wrote:
cutiewiddlebebe wrote:With those numbers, I am surprised you are not in at BU and BC, as they are pretty shitty schools, if we are not pulling punches.
You're an idiot.

edit:

Here's why

--LinkRemoved--

http://www.ropesgray.com/professionals/ ... 5b8f3732b2

Ropes & Gray is the highest ranked among Boston-based firm in the latest vault rankings. I could delve deeper but I'm pretty sure the point is made.
.....says "bceagles", heh....not that i disagree

i only applied to eight, in at five so far
My handle is from undergraduate, although I may end up at BC Law.

Register now!

Resources to assist law school applicants, students & graduates.

It's still FREE!

GermX

Silver

Post by GermX » Mon Apr 05, 2010 4:17 pm

Right after the December LSAT scores were in, so all apps were in by the 28th of December. Ah well. Cornell is still pending so you never know, that might change everything.

bceagles182

Silver

Post by bceagles182 » Mon Apr 05, 2010 4:24 pm

Boba Fett wrote:
bceagles182 wrote:
cutiewiddlebebe wrote:With those numbers, I am surprised you are not in at BU and BC, as they are pretty shitty schools, if we are not pulling punches.
You're an idiot.

edit:

Here's why

--LinkRemoved--

Ropes & Gray is the highest ranked among Boston-based firm in the latest vault rankings. I could delve deeper but I'm pretty sure the point is made.
+1 . Both BU and BC are much better than Yale.

Here's why

--LinkRemoved--
I'm assuming that you're being sarcastic and trying to prove that my logic is faulty because of the self-selection of Yale grads. In reality, your argument is stupid because I never said that BC was better in a comparative sense than any other particular other school simply because they have more attorneys at a presitigious Boston-based firm. All that I said is that BC and BU are clearly NOT "shitty" schools on the basis of their employment figures within Boston.

For further reading:

http://www.law.com/pdf/nlj/20080414empl ... trends.pdf
Last edited by bceagles182 on Mon Apr 05, 2010 4:29 pm, edited 1 time in total.

GermX

Silver

Post by GermX » Mon Apr 05, 2010 4:27 pm

Anyone who claims that BC and/or BU are shitty schools is an idiot, honestly. They are both Tier-1 schools, top ranked, and place well in big law.

reverendt

Bronze

Post by reverendt » Mon Apr 05, 2010 4:32 pm

Who is this moron?

Get unlimited access to all forums and topics

Register now!

I'm pretty sure I told you it's FREE...

Boba Fett

New

Post by Boba Fett » Mon Apr 05, 2010 4:33 pm

bceagles182 wrote:
Boba Fett wrote:
bceagles182 wrote:
You're an idiot.

edit:

Here's why

--LinkRemoved--

+1 . Both BU and BC are much better than Yale.

Here's why

--LinkRemoved--
I'm assuming that you're being sarcastic and trying to prove that my logic is faulty because of the self-selection of Yale grads. In reality, your argument is stupid because I never said that BC was better in a comparative sense than any other particular other school simply because they have more attorneys at a presitigious Boston-based firm. All that I said is that BC and BU are clearly NOT "shitty" schools on the basis of their employment figures within Boston.

For further reading:

http://www.law.com/pdf/nlj/20080414empl ... trends.pdf
Your assumptions are themselves "stupid." I wasn't making an argument; I was toying with a child.

For further reading:

http://www.lawnetdatabase.com/pdf/nlj250/185684514employment_data.pdf

bceagles182

Silver

Post by bceagles182 » Mon Apr 05, 2010 4:37 pm

My assumptions are stupid because the intention of your post seemed to be an attempt to disprove what I was saying?

For further reading:

http://www.urbandictionary.com/define.p ... =Douchebag

Diamond

Post by 09042014 » Mon Apr 05, 2010 4:39 pm

What is stupid is applying to safeties in the first place. If you can't get a target, try again next year. Unless you are looking for scholarship money.

But if you are looking to go to MVPB, and would take them at sticker over a full ride at BC or BU, why even bother applying to BU or BC.

Communicate now with those who not only know what a legal education is, but can offer you worthy advice and commentary as you complete the three most educational, yet challenging years of your law related post graduate life.

Register now, it's still FREE!

GermX

Silver

Post by GermX » Mon Apr 05, 2010 4:41 pm

You make it sound like "try again next year" is easy. First of all, maybe some people are already in that next year phase. Furthermore, with this shit-faced economy, who the fuck doesn't want to be in school right now? We're all hoping that in 3 years the economy will be booming again, but right now, nobody is finding any job that pays more than $10 an hour.

Diamond

Post by 09042014 » Mon Apr 05, 2010 4:46 pm

GermX wrote:You make it sound like "try again next year" is easy. First of all, maybe some people are already in that next year phase. Furthermore, with this shit-faced economy, who the fuck doesn't want to be in school right now? We're all hoping that in 3 years the economy will be booming again, but right now, nobody is finding any job that pays more than $10 an hour.
You are going drastically reduce the potential of success for you 30 year career because you are too good for AppleBees?

Class of 13 OCI's in 17 months.

If you have a bad cycle, try again. As long as you were realistic with your original expectations.

GermX

Silver

Post by GermX » Mon Apr 05, 2010 5:23 pm

It's not like my cycle was bad or anything, just disappointing. I still have Cornell pending and I believe I have a shot (3.4, 169), and well Fordham right now is a top choice and a great school. I also have transfer options (to NYU etc..) available if I succeed academically in my first year.

dk8

Bronze

Post by dk8 » Mon Apr 05, 2010 5:27 pm

GermX wrote:It's not like my cycle was bad or anything, just disappointing. I still have Cornell pending and I believe I have a shot (3.4, 169), and well Fordham right now is a top choice and a great school. I also have transfer options (to NYU etc..) available if I succeed academically in my first year.
yeah it wasn't that bad. i'm suprised you didn't get into BU but the T14 was a longsot with those numbers.

Seriously? What are you waiting for?

Now there's a charge.
Just kidding ... it's still FREE!

Return to “Law School Acceptances, Denials, and Waitlists”