American or George Mason? Forum

Share Your Experiences, Read About Other Experiences. Please keep posts organized by school and expected year of graduation.

American or George Mason?

American
30%
George Mason
70%

Total votes: 27

daagermy1

New

American or George Mason?

Post by daagermy1 » Mon Apr 05, 2010 1:09 pm

Planning to attend a PT-program. Suggestions? Comments? Concerns?

NU_Jet55

Silver

Re: American or George Mason?

Post by NU_Jet55 » Mon Apr 05, 2010 1:12 pm

American! lol, but I'm biased...Please give some background,etc. about what you want out of law school and life, also any scholarships from the two schools.

gdane

Diamond

Post by gdane » Mon Apr 05, 2010 1:46 pm

George Mason. Arlington is much nicer than NW D.C.

Pick George Mason!

patently_oblivious

New

Post by patently_oblivious » Mon Apr 05, 2010 1:52 pm

If you're in-state, GMU is cheaper ($16,721). I know of a couple GMU PTers who seem to like it.

daagermy1

New

Post by daagermy1 » Mon Apr 05, 2010 2:24 pm

NU_Jet55 wrote:American! lol, but I'm biased...Please give some background,etc. about what you want out of law school and life, also any scholarships from the two schools.
Not positive what type of law I want to practice, but currently working with financial regulatory and securitization law. I'm intrigued by regulatory law, and Mason's regulatory "concentration" that they offer. American offers a part-time clinic in GP. However, I've liked the Torts classes I've sat in on. So....still clueless.

Ideal situation would be work private for a few years then work for the feds (maybe DOJ or Federal Reserve).

Offered $10K (non-renewable) scholarship at AU. Nothing from Mason and currently out-of-state. Would move to VA but not sure if I'll get in-state; sounds like they're pretty picky.

digitalcntrl

Bronze

Post by digitalcntrl » Tue Apr 06, 2010 11:06 am

daagermy1 wrote:
NU_Jet55 wrote:American! lol, but I'm biased...Please give some background,etc. about what you want out of law school and life, also any scholarships from the two schools.
Not positive what type of law I want to practice, but currently working with financial regulatory and securitization law. I'm intrigued by regulatory law, and Mason's regulatory "concentration" that they offer. American offers a part-time clinic in GP. However, I've liked the Torts classes I've sat in on. So....still clueless.

Ideal situation would be work private for a few years then work for the feds (maybe DOJ or Federal Reserve).

Offered $10K (non-renewable) scholarship at AU. Nothing from Mason and currently out-of-state. Would move to VA but not sure if I'll get in-state; sounds like they're pretty picky.
I would say Mason. Tuition at American is 42K/year (of which the first would only be 32K). Tuition at GMU is 20K in state and 34K out of state. Even with American's scholarship and being GMU out of state, GMU would still cost less over the 3 years. Also GMU is better for securing federal jobs. American is more into international law and public interest (e.g. things like working for the poor or human rights law).

Want to continue reading?

Register now to search topics and post comments!

Absolutely FREE!

Return to “Law School Acceptances, Denials, and Waitlists”