Applying to reaches is a humiliating waste of time and money

Share Your Experiences, Read About Other Experiences. Please keep posts organized by school and expected year of graduation.
GermX

Applying to reaches is a humiliating waste of time and money

Postby GermX » Sat Apr 03, 2010 5:00 pm

Don't ever do it.

dakatz

Re: Applying to reaches is a humiliating waste of time and money

Postby dakatz » Sat Apr 03, 2010 5:01 pm

I got into one of my highest reaches...

dk8

Postby dk8 » Sat Apr 03, 2010 5:01 pm

only if you view rejection as humiliation. you shouldn't

nowinGA

Postby nowinGA » Sat Apr 03, 2010 5:02 pm

I got into a bunch of reaches and wish I would have applied to others...

RayFinkle

Postby RayFinkle » Sat Apr 03, 2010 5:05 pm

nowinGA wrote:I got into a bunch of reaches and wish I would have applied to others...

Are you sure you didn't just misconstrue what a reach was with your credentials?

GermX

Postby GermX » Sat Apr 03, 2010 5:05 pm

God to the people who say they got into "a bunch of reaches", STOP IT. You don't even know what a reach is! A reach is when you barely edge into the 25th on one of your stats and not even on your others. A reach is when you apply with a 3.4 and 169 to the University of Chicago, which, on LSP, was only a 5% chance to get in. THAT'S a reach.

Sorry even that thread you posted, 90% of posters in that thread don't even realize that they are not reaches.

ggocat

Postby ggocat » Sat Apr 03, 2010 5:08 pm

A lot of those don't seem like reaches. (LSAT above the median = not a reach.)

GermX

Postby GermX » Sat Apr 03, 2010 5:12 pm

Admissions is ALL about the LSAT and GPA. I got into every school that I was a "strong consider", got waitlisted at "Considers" and outright rejected at "weak considers".

I volunteered, have lots of work experience (real work experience, not some college job shit), a decent gpa and LSAT IMO (3.4, 169 isn't terrible), and on top of that, I had a great explanation for why my grades slipped (death etc...) and also an upward trend in GPA and everything else that supposedly tips the balance.

EXCEPT IT DOESN'T. ALL THEY LOOK AT IS YOUR LSAT AND GPA. Period.

dk8

Postby dk8 » Sat Apr 03, 2010 5:15 pm

GermX wrote:Admissions is ALL about the LSAT and GPA. I got into every school that I was a "strong consider", got waitlisted at "Considers" and outright rejected at "weak considers".

I volunteered, have lots of work experience (real work experience, not some college job shit), a decent gpa and LSAT IMO (3.4, 169 isn't terrible), and on top of that, I had a great explanation for why my grades slipped (death etc...) and also an upward trend in GPA and everything else that supposedly tips the balance.

wrong. a couple of schools have looked past my lsat and gpa to reject/wl me.

nowinGA

Postby nowinGA » Sat Apr 03, 2010 5:15 pm

Maybe it was not your numbers that hurt you (that is, maybe you were, in fact, in "reach" range)...did you get any feedback about your resume? And your PS? And your other softs when you put your packages together?

OneKnight

Postby OneKnight » Sat Apr 03, 2010 5:16 pm

ggocat wrote:

A lot of those don't seem like reaches. (LSAT above the median = not a reach.)

Many of them are not, but a good number of them are. My LSAT for UVa is 25th percentile and Tintin's LSAT is one point below both Chicago and NYU's 25th percentile. Yes, we have good GPAs, but so do many others. I consider those reaches and you'd be crazy not to because there are many many candidates with similar credentials (High GPA/Low LSAT) that don't make the cut.

Anyway, applying to a few reaches is a good idea, just so long as you don't expect to get into them and have applied to targets and safeties as well!

bigben

Postby bigben » Sat Apr 03, 2010 5:16 pm

All depends what you mean by "reach" obviously....

nowinGA

Postby nowinGA » Sat Apr 03, 2010 5:17 pm

GermX wrote:Admissions is ALL about the LSAT and GPA. I got into every school that I was a "strong consider", got waitlisted at "Considers" and outright rejected at "weak considers".

They may look at that, but if you have a glaring error in another part (resume, ps) that could kill you. Many of the admissions counselors talk about that...a misspelled word, or typo...sends you to the circular file. If all you say above is true, perhaps that is what happened.

smov_operator

Postby smov_operator » Sat Apr 03, 2010 5:19 pm

I agree that getting into 20 schools where you are above median at is not a "reach." But, I definitely got into a bunch of reach schools. I can definitely understand the frustration of trying to be a complete applicant, but feeling like a number.
Last edited by smov_operator on Sat Apr 03, 2010 5:22 pm, edited 1 time in total.

bigben

Postby bigben » Sat Apr 03, 2010 5:20 pm

GermX wrote:God to the people who say they got into "a bunch of reaches", STOP IT. You don't even know what a reach is! A reach is when you barely edge into the 25th on one of your stats and not even on your others. A reach is when you apply with a 3.4 and 169 to the University of Chicago, which, on LSP, was only a 5% chance to get in. THAT'S a reach.

Sorry even that thread you posted, 90% of posters in that thread don't even realize that they are not reaches.

So your definition of "reach" is correct, and any other definition must be wrong. lol

JOThompson

Postby JOThompson » Sat Apr 03, 2010 5:20 pm

Depending on how you define the term reach, I was accepted with scholarships by a couple reaches. My GPA is above UMN's median, but my LSAT is far below 25th. Non-URM also. I can only attribute my fortune to holistic adcomms who were open minded about my unusual soft factors. Not a waste of time, but possibly a huge waste of money (sans waiver) because I was rejected by the vast majority of my reaches.

gdane

Postby gdane » Sat Apr 03, 2010 5:40 pm

Its worth a shot. You never know. Strange things can happen.

Its not humiliating. Personally, it was exciting. I applied to Gtown, which was the biggest reach in the world for me. I was certain that I would be rejected and get an email a week after applying. I ended up being under review for over a month. I thought that I might possibly get waitlisted or accepted. I didnt get either, but it was exciting holding out for the possibility.

The biggest thing is that you remember why you refer to the school as a "reach". Dont set any expectations. You never know what happens.

I also disagree about LSAT and GPA being everything. They are a HUGE part of admissions, probably well over 75% of what is considered, but they arent the only things considered. I believe that personal statements are important because they demonstrate an applicant's humbleness and writing skills. I think that if you come off as a jerkoff or if you dont put any effort into your statement, admissions notices. There are a ton of 165/3.8 applicants, you have to make sure you come off as genuine and humble.

Good luck with everything else though.

RayFinkle

Postby RayFinkle » Sat Apr 03, 2010 5:41 pm

gdane5 wrote:Its not humiliating. Personally, it was exciting. I applied to Gtown, which was the biggest reach in the world for me. I was certain that I would be rejected and get an email a week after applying. I ended up being under review for over a month. I thought that I might possibly get waitlisted or accepted. I didnt get either, but it was exciting holding out for the possibility.

You sir, are a masochist.

But serious, I know what you're saying.

Veyron

Postby Veyron » Sat Apr 03, 2010 5:45 pm

Op is an idiot/should grow a some balls.

RayFinkle

Postby RayFinkle » Sat Apr 03, 2010 5:46 pm

Veyron wrote:Op is an idiot/should grow a some balls.

gdane

Postby gdane » Sat Apr 03, 2010 5:46 pm

Finkle is Einhorn...

gdane

Postby gdane » Sat Apr 03, 2010 5:49 pm

Marino: Hey Ace, have any more of that gum left?
Ace: That's none of your damn business Dan.

HAHA!!! Love this movie. One of my all time favorites.

evilgenius

Postby evilgenius » Sat Apr 03, 2010 5:51 pm

When my cycle started I had this mentality. I only applied to the reaches that were waived their application fees, so that I wouldn't waste money. ITW I got into all but one of my reaches (that one is still pending) with fairly generous scholarship offers. And I was far (far) below the 25th percentile for all of them. Now I wish that I'd applied to more reaches, and higher ranked schools.

I agree that its mostly about LSAT and GPA, but there are other factors that - if one is able to frame to their advantage - can get he/she into a reach.

smov_operator

Postby smov_operator » Sat Apr 03, 2010 5:55 pm

Nightrunner wrote:
gdane5 wrote:Finkle is Einhorn...

your gun is digging into my hip

It's not a woman, it's a man!!

Return to “Law School Acceptances, Denials, and Waitlists”