Columbia Reserve 2010

Share Your Experiences, Read About Other Experiences. Please keep posts organized by school and expected year of graduation.
SanBun

Re: Columbia Reserve 2010

Postby SanBun » Mon May 03, 2010 2:01 pm

ConMan345 wrote:The title of this thread sounds like the name of a bottle of wine.

Jus' sayin'.

Normally a reserve is quality stuff, but this one tastes surprisingly bad so far

AngryAvocado

Postby AngryAvocado » Mon May 03, 2010 2:02 pm

Just withdrew so I'm officially done with CLS (and my cycle). Good luck to you guys waiting it out!

danidancer

Postby danidancer » Mon May 03, 2010 2:25 pm

Submit my 2nd LOCI today. Really didn't know what else to say - I pretty much covered everything in my first. Oh well, fingers crossed.

odiero

Postby odiero » Mon May 03, 2010 6:09 pm

happyhopes wrote:I received my Reserve letter on 4/30 or 5/1 (I was out of town, so I'm not sure.) I don't have any life-updates, but I'm going to write a LOCI anyway, it seems like it's standard.

Right now, I've paid my deposit at U of Michigan. They offered me $$$, I turned down Gtown $$$ after negotiations for more money stalled, and turned down Northwestern $$. (It was a tough decision, so now is not the time to tell me that I made a huge mistake picking Michigan. I'm really pretty excited about going there!)

I'm going to wait out Columbia and Penn, but probably take my name off the lists at Duke and UVA. Is there a strategy? I just don't see the point in sitting on lists at places I won't attend.

BTW, I plan to work in international humanitarian law. I'm 3.5/175. (Different #s in other posts/LSN to protect identity :wink: )

All sounds reasonable to me! Although, would you take Penn sans $$$ over Mich avec? Can definitely see your staying on the CLS wl though, especially given your interests.

And about that... I get the sense that some TLSers (and many lawyers generally) like to laugh at starry-eyed 0Ls planning on working in international law (of any kind). This makes me sad and apprehensive, since I'm one such starry-eyed 0L... and since my plans for working overseas figure prominently in my PS and LOCI... Seems like if a school as well-respected as Columbia has worked hard to develop its offerings in int'l/comp law, it must be a field worth getting into for at least some people. Is it foolish to have int'l ambitions if we're not going to Harvard or Yale? What if we don't get CLS either?

happyhopes

Postby happyhopes » Mon May 03, 2010 8:32 pm

odiero wrote:
happyhopes wrote:I received my Reserve letter on 4/30 or 5/1 (I was out of town, so I'm not sure.) I don't have any life-updates, but I'm going to write a LOCI anyway, it seems like it's standard.

Right now, I've paid my deposit at U of Michigan. They offered me $$$, I turned down Gtown $$$ after negotiations for more money stalled, and turned down Northwestern $$. (It was a tough decision, so now is not the time to tell me that I made a huge mistake picking Michigan. I'm really pretty excited about going there!)

I'm going to wait out Columbia and Penn, but probably take my name off the lists at Duke and UVA. Is there a strategy? I just don't see the point in sitting on lists at places I won't attend.

BTW, I plan to work in international humanitarian law. I'm 3.5/175. (Different #s in other posts/LSN to protect identity :wink: )

All sounds reasonable to me! Although, would you take Penn sans $$$ over Mich avec? Can definitely see your staying on the CLS wl though, especially given your interests.

And about that... I get the sense that some TLSers (and many lawyers generally) like to laugh at starry-eyed 0Ls planning on working in international law (of any kind). This makes me sad and apprehensive, since I'm one such starry-eyed 0L... and since my plans for working overseas figure prominently in my PS and LOCI... Seems like if a school as well-respected as Columbia has worked hard to develop its offerings in int'l/comp law, it must be a field worth getting into for at least some people. Is it foolish to have int'l ambitions if we're not going to Harvard or Yale? What if we don't get CLS either?

As for the TLSers laughing at us starry-eyed internationalists, I try to keep my thoughts on the same line as when lawyers tell me not to enter their profession: I just keep hoping I know better. I agree though, it's sad and makes me nervous (and makes Michigan even more appealing; I actually believe in their reputation for student camaraderie.) I don't think it's foolish of us to have international ambitions even though we're not going to H/Y, but I do think we will be in the minority as students, and will have very different lifestyles than our peers post-graduation.

I'm not sure what I'd do if I got in Penn (or U Chicago, for that matter.) Any advice there? The Michigan scholarship is nice, especially since I already have some debt. Then again, there's always public service loan forgiveness... Bah. Input welcome.

weee

Postby weee » Wed May 05, 2010 3:49 pm

AngryAvocado wrote:Just withdrew so I'm officially done with CLS (and my cycle). Good luck to you guys waiting it out!

odiero

Postby odiero » Fri May 07, 2010 7:11 am

happyhopes wrote:I just keep hoping I know better

haha, excellent.

happyhopes wrote:will have very different lifestyles than our peers post-graduation.

I've been planning on working in PI stateside for a few years before transitioning overseas. You?

As for Penn v. Mich$ v. Chicago v. Columbia, there's a helpful (though slightly out-of-date) comparison of T14 LRAPs, here:

viewtopic.php?f=15&t=62094

Columbia's LRAP strikes me as being the best of the bunch. (NYU's is even better; not sure if that's an option you're considering.) Each program seems to have its advantages. Mich's is good if your int'l work might not qualify as PI work; Chicago's if you have significant assets; Penn's... well, Penn's not so great, ektually.

If you think one of the LRAPs will work for you (and don't forget about the federal one), then maybe you shouldn't let the $ at Mich sway you. The reasoning being this: the LRAPs determine your monthly payments based on your income, not your total debt, so if you can stick with the program for the full term (usually 10 years), it doesn't matter how much debt you take on -- it all gets repaid, however much of it there is. Obviously this reasoning doesn't apply if you have lots and lots of $ at Mich (wouldn't have to do an LRAP = more flexibility).

Columbia's being in NYC is a big plus for people with international interests.
Sounds like it'd be easier to get a job teaching law (if that's something that interests you) with a JD from Chicago.

MeredithGrey

Postby MeredithGrey » Mon May 10, 2010 10:44 pm

Withdrew from the Reserve List today since they do not allow deferrals. Good luck to all!

haroldfordIII

Postby haroldfordIII » Tue May 11, 2010 9:31 am

When do you think they will start to make decisions on Reserve candidates? On a rolling basis, or all-at-once?

If someone gets off of the waitlist, are they basically looking at paying sticker? Do they give out any form of scholly to Reserve-admits?

dwoof

Postby dwoof » Tue May 11, 2010 10:07 am

The Reserve Letter says:

"The next evaluation of candidates on Reserve will begin at the end of May. At that time some applicants will be offered of denied admission. Others, however, will be asked if they wish to continue on Reserve in order to be considered for those vacancies that normally arise during the summer months."

elm84dr

Postby elm84dr » Tue May 11, 2010 1:51 pm

haroldfordIII wrote:When do you think they will start to make decisions on Reserve candidates? On a rolling basis, or all-at-once?

If someone gets off of the waitlist, are they basically looking at paying sticker? Do they give out any form of scholly to Reserve-admits?

I want to know the answer to this AND is THERE ANYONE out there that has ever been taken off the Reserve?

musicfor18

Postby musicfor18 » Tue May 11, 2010 3:50 pm

For those of you who have sent a LOCI, did you send by snail mail or email?

odiero

Postby odiero » Wed May 12, 2010 9:10 am

musicfor18 wrote:For those of you who have sent a LOCI, did you send by snail mail or email?

I sent mine in by email and got a receipt-confirmed reply 3 hrs later. Others have submitted via email as well (e.g. ToriM, first page of this thread).

admissions@law.columbia.edu

happyhopes

Postby happyhopes » Wed May 12, 2010 9:14 am

musicfor18 wrote:For those of you who have sent a LOCI, did you send by snail mail or email?

I sent it by e-mail. I received an e-mail back a few minutes later confirming receipt and saying that would add the letter to my file. At this point, If I were you, I'd e-mail it (since they say they will start reviewing in mid-May) but you could probably send a snail mail copy as well.

lta

Postby lta » Wed May 12, 2010 9:31 am

submitted via email but never got reply...
now what?!

happyhopes

Postby happyhopes » Wed May 12, 2010 9:39 am

lta wrote:submitted via email but never got reply...
now what?!

When did you send it? If enough time has passed, you forward the e-mail again and just say you wanted to confirm that it was received. Or else call the Admissions Office and ask.

lta

Postby lta » Wed May 12, 2010 10:08 am

happyhopes wrote:
now what?!

When did you send it? If enough time has passed, you forward the e-mail again and just say you wanted to confirm that it was received. Or else call the Admissions Office and ask.

:P I remember the days when I would make decisions without the support of TLS. Those days are, apparently, long gone.

Thanks for humoring me happyhopes

happyhopes

Postby happyhopes » Wed May 12, 2010 3:00 pm

lta wrote:
happyhopes wrote:
now what?!

:P I remember the days when I would make decisions without the support of TLS. Those days are, apparently, long gone.

Hah, I didn't even hesitate or think you might have been kidding. I need this process to be over, so I can press some sort of "restart" button on my brain...

lta

Postby lta » Wed May 12, 2010 3:04 pm

happyhopes wrote:
lta wrote:
happyhopes wrote:
now what?!

Hah, I didn't even hesitate or think you might have been kidding. I need this process to be over, so I can press some sort of "restart" button on my brain...

:) the sad part is... I wasn't joking! just an automatic response at this point! we should each get one of those giant red us/russia restart buttons...

happyhopes

Postby happyhopes » Wed May 12, 2010 3:24 pm

lta wrote::) the sad part is... I wasn't joking! just an automatic response at this point! we should each get one of those giant red us/russia restart buttons...

That makes me feel a lot better. Sometimes I wish there was a composite TLSer who would take all this information and make the decisions for me.

doza

Postby doza » Wed May 12, 2010 5:46 pm

elm84dr wrote:
I want to know the answer to this AND is THERE ANYONE out there that has ever been taken off the Reserve?

Another Reserver here . . and yeah, I would love to know this, too.

lawyering

Postby lawyering » Thu May 13, 2010 10:08 am

If anyone on this thread would like the Columbia admit materials (mailed to me after I was accepted) for free and lives in the Boston/Cambridge area, please send me a PM. Columbia had the best materials of any school I got into, but I won't be attending and would like them to go to a good home.

dancinginseptember

Postby dancinginseptember » Wed May 19, 2010 3:31 pm

does anyone know if there will be reserve movement this year?

perhaps i should call admissions.. or has anyone done that?

thanks!

dreaming

Postby dreaming » Wed May 19, 2010 3:35 pm

dancinginseptember wrote:does anyone know if there will be reserve movement this year?

thanks!

I called a long time ago and asked if they planned on accepting people from the reserve list--they said they were planning on taking some of us. If you do call, please let us know what they say! I am sure a more recent answer would be helpful :lol:

lta

Postby lta » Wed May 19, 2010 3:47 pm

dancinginseptember wrote:does anyone know if there will be reserve movement this year?

thanks!

please call! dreading putting down more $ for 2nd deposit....

Return to “Law School Acceptances, Denials, and Waitlists”