Columbia Reserve 2010 Forum

Share Your Experiences, Read About Other Experiences. Please keep posts organized by school and expected year of graduation.
dreaming

Bronze

Columbia Reserve 2010

Post by dreaming » Fri Apr 02, 2010 8:46 pm

How do we get off of the reserve list?!??

dreaming

Bronze

Re: Columbia Reserve 2010

Post by dreaming » Sat Apr 03, 2010 12:19 pm

Does no one want to help me/vent?? :cry:

ToriM

New

Post by ToriM » Sat Apr 03, 2010 12:28 pm

I guess this will be my first post (have been trolling TLS for months)! I'm honestly just happy to still be in the running.

168/4.0 Top Liberal Arts

*Reclines in an armchair in anticipation of the long wait* 8)

MissCongeniality

New

Post by MissCongeniality » Sat Apr 03, 2010 12:35 pm

I took it as a soft rejection, so I won't exactly be holding my breath...I'll pull up my armchair, too, though.

dreaming

Bronze

Post by dreaming » Sat Apr 03, 2010 12:41 pm

thanks for replying! I think you could sense my desperation :? ! I really wish there were stories of people getting off reserve before June... but I guess I'm too optimistic... I never thought I even had a shot at Columbia, but by putting me on reserve they got my hopes too high with the possibilities!

Want to continue reading?

Register now to search topics and post comments!

Absolutely FREE!

dreaming

Bronze

Post by dreaming » Sat Apr 03, 2010 12:42 pm

MissCongeniality wrote:I took it as a soft rejection, so I won't exactly be holding my breath...I'll pull up my armchair, too, though.

No!!!! I want optimism! :(

big_blue79

Bronze

Post by big_blue79 » Sat Apr 03, 2010 1:31 pm

MissCongeniality wrote:I took it as a soft rejection, so I won't exactly be holding my breath...I'll pull up my armchair, too, though.
Same I took it as a soft rejection. I think I like nyu more, but I have reasons to love Columbia, not least that NBA commissioner David stern went to/serves on the board.

dreaming

Bronze

Post by dreaming » Sat Apr 03, 2010 1:48 pm

ugh. I'm not ready to face that reality just yet...

OneKnight

Bronze

Post by OneKnight » Sat Apr 03, 2010 1:53 pm

Yeah, sorry, no optimism here. The sea of yellow on LSN is foreboding, to say the least.

Want to continue reading?

Register for access!

Did I mention it was FREE ?

ToriM

New

Post by ToriM » Sat Apr 03, 2010 2:00 pm

OneKnight- Are you a fellow Ox grad?

dreaming

Bronze

Post by dreaming » Sat Apr 03, 2010 2:05 pm

OneKnight wrote:Yeah, sorry, no optimism here. The sea of yellow on LSN is foreboding, to say the least.
But couldn't all the yellow mean that they need to take some of those yellows and turn them green :wink: ???

OneKnight

Bronze

Post by OneKnight » Sat Apr 03, 2010 2:09 pm

@ToriM: Nope, I was a visiting student at Catz during my third year of undergrad. It was fantastic!

queenofhearts

New

Post by queenofhearts » Sat Apr 03, 2010 2:16 pm

joining the thread. i met with an admissions officer yesterday to see what i could add to my application. his "they're all the same" comment about LORs didn't really boost my hopes that an additional one would help. sigh.

Register now!

Resources to assist law school applicants, students & graduates.

It's still FREE!

dreaming

Bronze

Post by dreaming » Sat Apr 03, 2010 2:22 pm

queenofhearts wrote:joining the thread. i met with an admissions officer yesterday to see what i could add to my application. his "they're all the same" comment about LORs didn't really boost my hopes that an additional one would help. sigh.
Did the admissions officer give you any ideas of what might help? Maybe LOCIs make a difference??

queenofhearts

New

Post by queenofhearts » Sat Apr 03, 2010 4:10 pm

dreaming wrote:
queenofhearts wrote:joining the thread. i met with an admissions officer yesterday to see what i could add to my application. his "they're all the same" comment about LORs didn't really boost my hopes that an additional one would help. sigh.
Did the admissions officer give you any ideas of what might help? Maybe LOCIs make a difference??
He said that LOCIs are pretty standard. So what I read into the LOCI/LOR thing was that most people send them, so it's probably a good idea, but it's not necessarily going to help. I think that's been the main consensus on TLS. He did say that if something significant has happened (i.e., some kind of award, achievement) definitely let them know. The thing that was most interesting to me was that he said the way the WL works is that they use it to fill in spots in the class that they otherwise would've had. So say a student they accepted has A and B characteristics, and they withdraw. Admissions is going to look for another student with A and B characteristics. So in that sense, as he noted, there's really not much we can do. I would note, however, that he didn't seem to be suggesting these characteristics were just based on numbers - he was more speaking to the diversity of the class. So I definitely didn't read this to mean that those of us with eh numbers that were WL didn't stand a chance bc we had to numerically fill others' spots.

dreaming

Bronze

Post by dreaming » Sat Apr 03, 2010 4:43 pm

queenofhearts wrote:
dreaming wrote:
He said that LOCIs are pretty standard. So what I read into the LOCI/LOR thing was that most people send them, so it's probably a good idea, but it's not necessarily going to help. I think that's been the main consensus on TLS. He did say that if something significant has happened (i.e., some kind of award, achievement) definitely let them know. The thing that was most interesting to me was that he said the way the WL works is that they use it to fill in spots in the class that they otherwise would've had. So say a student they accepted has A and B characteristics, and they withdraw. Admissions is going to look for another student with A and B characteristics. So in that sense, as he noted, there's really not much we can do. I would note, however, that he didn't seem to be suggesting these characteristics were just based on numbers - he was more speaking to the diversity of the class. So I definitely didn't read this to mean that those of us with eh numbers that were WL didn't stand a chance bc we had to numerically fill others' spots.

Thanks for the info! Now I'll just hope a lot of people decide not to pay their deposits...

clint4law

Silver

Post by clint4law » Sat Apr 03, 2010 10:04 pm

how are you guys submitting your LOCIs?

Get unlimited access to all forums and topics

Register now!

I'm pretty sure I told you it's FREE...

queenofhearts

New

Post by queenofhearts » Sun Apr 04, 2010 3:11 pm

clint4law wrote:how are you guys submitting your LOCIs?
Admissions officer said that email is fine.

dreaming

Bronze

Post by dreaming » Sun Apr 04, 2010 4:35 pm

queenofhearts wrote:
I did email. They wrote me back the same day to say they received it and it would be added to my file. :lol:

clint4law

Silver

Post by clint4law » Sun Apr 04, 2010 5:51 pm

dreaming wrote:
queenofhearts wrote:
I did email. They wrote me back the same day to say they received it and it would be added to my file. :lol:
what's their email address? thanks

ToriM

New

Post by ToriM » Sun Apr 04, 2010 5:56 pm

clint4law wrote:
dreaming wrote:
queenofhearts wrote:
what's their email address? thanks
admissions@law.columbia.edu

Emailed mine the day I got my Reserve letter. :) Good luck!

Communicate now with those who not only know what a legal education is, but can offer you worthy advice and commentary as you complete the three most educational, yet challenging years of your law related post graduate life.

Register now, it's still FREE!

dreaming

Bronze

Post by dreaming » Sun Apr 04, 2010 8:27 pm

Why do you think some of us get put on reserve and some on hold...? Do you think they will pull some people off the reserve in April/May or do they only look at the holds then and not look at reserve people until June?

ToriM

New

Post by ToriM » Sun Apr 04, 2010 8:55 pm

dreaming wrote:Why do you think some of us get put on reserve and some on hold...? Do you think they will pull some people off the reserve in April/May or do they only look at the holds then and not look at reserve people until June?
This is pure speculation, but my take on it is that they probably have yet to fill the class and, sadly, like the 'held' applicants more than us. Over the upcoming month some holds will become acceptances and the rest will go into the reserve pool (which is essentially the waitlist). Also, I think in the letter they sent us they said that they'll mostly likely start pulling from the reserve pool late-May/early-June (if at all) so we have quite the wait ahead. :?

dreaming

Bronze

Post by dreaming » Sun Apr 04, 2010 9:03 pm

ToriM wrote:
dreaming wrote:Why do you think some of us get put on reserve and some on hold...? Do you think they will pull some people off the reserve in April/May or do they only look at the holds then and not look at reserve people until June?
This is pure speculation, but my take on it is that they probably have yet to fill the class and, sadly, like the 'held' applicants more than us. Over the upcoming month some holds will become acceptances and the rest will go into the reserve pool (which is essentially the waitlist). Also, I think in the letter they sent us they said that they'll mostly likely start pulling from the reserve pool late-May/early-June (if at all) so we have quite the wait ahead. :?
So sad... Do you think it effects school's rankings how many people accept offers of their waitlist? I'm trying to find reasons why they waitlisted us to make myself feel better :lol:

ninjagirl

New

Post by ninjagirl » Tue Apr 06, 2010 9:43 pm

If you get off the reserve, do you
1) have the option of deferring? (I'm guessing no, but never saw any Columbia-specific info)
2) have only 48 hours to say yes or no like at some schools?

I'm trying to decide if I can realistically stay on the Columbia reserve list. The two-body problem is making flexibility difficult to achieve.

Thanks for any input!

Seriously? What are you waiting for?

Now there's a charge.
Just kidding ... it's still FREE!

Return to “Law School Acceptances, Denials, and Waitlists”