Job Decision for 1L Forum

Share Your Experiences, Read About Other Experiences. Please keep posts organized by school and expected year of graduation.

Which offer should I accept?

RA Position
21%
Investment Bank In-house
57%
Financial Regulatory Company
21%

Total votes: 14

qaz57wsx

New

Job Decision for 1L

Post by qaz57wsx » Thu Apr 01, 2010 6:15 pm

I have a good dilemma, I have been offered three very good opportunities this summer. Please let me know which one you think would be the best experience and make me stand out the most for OCI. My goal for 2L summer is to be a summer associate at a large NYC law firm.

1. RA position with a professor- 40hrs/week @$12/hr. Working on financial regulation paper (my interest). Prof. just left in-house position at major NYC investment back, before that has extensive big law experience. If I do a good job for her perhaps it will lead to some good contacts before OCI starts. Her previous RAs have Big Law jobs lined up.

2. Financial regulatory company- oversees all major broker-dealers on Wall Street. Will be able to write memos and go on investigation work. This office really seems interested in me because of my prior experience with complex credit derivative products (an area where the staff attorneys do not have much knowledge). Perhaps going into this position and making myself out to be "the authority" on that topic will allow me to transition into a full time in-house position. This is 40hrs/week unpaid, but 3 credit from school upon completion. Potential problem: This regulator often deals with big law firms from an adversarial position, so perhaps big law recruiter would see my experience there and disregard me (any opinions on this would be helpful)?

3. In-House at a major wall street investment bank- 40hrs/ week @ $30/hr. Working on every aspect of an investment banking deal from sitting in on bankers pitching clients, to debt origination, to contract drafting. This job would expose me to over 53 outside counsel, including most major wall street law firms. Past interns have all landed big law jobs based on the contacts they have made at this position.

finalaspects

Gold

Re: Job Decision for 1L

Post by finalaspects » Thu Apr 01, 2010 6:17 pm

off topic? wrong forum.

iheartlaw

Bronze

Post by iheartlaw » Thu Apr 01, 2010 6:54 pm

#3, get that paper homie.

hhg

Bronze

Post by hhg » Thu Apr 01, 2010 7:12 pm

iheartlaw wrote:#3, get that paper homie.
+1

Want to continue reading?

Register now to search topics and post comments!

Absolutely FREE!

Return to “Law School Acceptances, Denials, and Waitlists”