Taking a scholarship with the intention of transferring

Share Your Experiences, Read About Other Experiences. Please keep posts organized by school and expected year of graduation.
scionb4

Taking a scholarship with the intention of transferring

Postby scionb4 » Thu Apr 01, 2010 1:55 pm

Is this a jerk thing to do? Here's where I'm coming from - I have been offered nice scholarships at a couple of private universities in states that I'm not a resident of. These scholarships make tuition less than the out-of-state tuition at the major public institutions in the states, but more than the in-state tuition at these schools. The states in question are Missouri and Ohio, both of which have major public institutions that grant in-state tuition to students who have lived in the state going to school for a whole year. I got into Case and SLU, both with nice scholarships. Would it be unethical for me to then transfer to either the University of Missouri if I take the SLU scholarship (which I probably won't considering the Case one is really good, and Case is a better school) or the University of Cincinnati or Ohio State if I go to Case (which its almost a certainty that I will)? I kind of feel like I'd be exploiting the school that gave me a scholarship in favor of schools that wouldn't have from the beginning. Would it even be beneficial to do this?

JordynAsh

Re: Taking a scholarship with the intention of transferring

Postby JordynAsh » Thu Apr 01, 2010 2:00 pm

Going anywhere with the intention of transferring is generally a very bad idea. Ethical questions aside, you should not assume you will be able to place high enough in any school's class to bank on transferring.

DoktorZaius

Postby DoktorZaius » Thu Apr 01, 2010 2:01 pm

I don't think it's a jerk thing to do, but based on everything I've read it seems like a mistake to go to a law school expecting to transfer out. If you wouldn't be happy receiving your J.D. from said school, don't go.

scionb4

Postby scionb4 » Thu Apr 01, 2010 2:03 pm

DoktorZaius wrote:I don't think it's a jerk thing to do, but based on everything I've read it seems like a mistake to go to a lawl skool expecting to transfer out. If you wouldn't be happy receiving your J.D. from said school, don't go.

That's not the issue at all. I'd be perfectly happy about taking a JD from Case Western, its a great school. And they have offered me the best deal so far. I'm saying if it was an option to transfer to Cincinatti or Ohio State and save myself about 9k a year, should I do that?

JordynAsh

Postby JordynAsh » Thu Apr 01, 2010 2:05 pm

Repost this thread when (read: IF) you get into those schools.

scionb4

Postby scionb4 » Thu Apr 01, 2010 2:06 pm

JordynAsh wrote:Repost this thread when (read: IF) you get into those schools.

That's a good point. I'm just thinking about it as a possibility now. I will certainly bring it back up if it becomes a reality.

CanadianWolf

Postby CanadianWolf » Thu Apr 01, 2010 2:07 pm

I am not certain, but I believe that Ohio residency has a tricky aspect that requires the out-of-state individual applying for residency for in-state tuition must have resided in Ohio for the prior year mainly for a non-educational purpose.
Another aspect to consider is whether or not you would be willing to give up a high class rank & possible law review membership & an increased scholarship to attend Missouri, Ohio State or the University of Cinncinati.
Last edited by CanadianWolf on Thu Apr 01, 2010 2:10 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Postby 98234872348 » Thu Apr 01, 2010 2:09 pm

scionb4 wrote:Is this a jerk thing to do? Here's where I'm coming from - I have been offered nice scholarships at a couple of private universities in states that I'm not a resident of. These scholarships make tuition less than the out-of-state tuition at the major public institutions in the states, but more than the in-state tuition at these schools. The states in question are Missouri and Ohio, both of which have major public institutions that grant in-state tuition to students who have lived in the state going to school for a whole year. I got into Case and SLU, both with nice scholarships. Would it be unethical for me to then transfer to either the University of Missouri if I take the SLU scholarship (which I probably won't considering the Case one is really good, and Case is a better school) or the University of Cincinnati or Ohio State if I go to Case (which its almost a certainty that I will)? I kind of feel like I'd be exploiting the school that gave me a scholarship in favor of schools that wouldn't have from the beginning. Would it even be beneficial to do this?

While the credited advice is to avoid going to a school with the intention of transferring, these would be lateral transfers and as long as you did reasonably well at Case, it would probably work out for you.

However, remember that if you do this, you will lose your first year grades and possibly the opportunity to write onto journals at these schools. I think a better decision would be, if you're so set on living in Ohio, to move to Ohio, get a job, maybe retake the lsats, and establish residency so that you can circumvent this complicated process.

scionb4

Postby scionb4 » Thu Apr 01, 2010 2:21 pm

However, remember that if you do this, you will lose your first year grades and possibly the opportunity to write onto journals at these schools. I think a better decision would be, if you're so set on living in Ohio, to move to Ohio, get a job, maybe retake the lsats, and establish residency so that you can circumvent this complicated process.

Thanks for the input. I didn't know that you lost your grades. I should have thought of that, considering I transferred undergrad institutions (ironicall for a public school to a private school).

waverider

Postby waverider » Thu Apr 01, 2010 2:27 pm

Have you gotten into Cinci?

If so move to northern kentucky. Live right accross the river (about 15 min from the school). You will qualify to immediately get the graduate Metrapolitan rate which is basically instate tuition. Its a great deal.

scionb4

Postby scionb4 » Thu Apr 01, 2010 2:34 pm

waverider wrote:Have you gotten into Cinci?

If so move to northern kentucky. Live right accross the river (about 15 min from the school). You will qualify to immediately get the graduate Metrapolitan rate which is basically instate tuition. Its a great deal.

No, I didn't even apply because I didn't want to pay 35k a year. Goddamn it, I wish I would have known about that.

hotdog123

Postby hotdog123 » Thu Apr 01, 2010 2:37 pm

Going to any school with the intention of transferring is a terrible idea.

Go where you want to go from day 1 or don't go at all.

creamedcats

Postby creamedcats » Fri Apr 23, 2010 6:44 am

Like the rest in this thread, I advise against this mindset. It's nice to have a reason to work hard, but if you're not happy with your principle options at CWRU (Be in the top 5-10%, work in Int'l Law/Health Law specialty jobs, work in Cleveland or elsewhere in Ohio) you should carefully consider your options. Now, I'm attending Case, and I'm not too keen on working in Cleveland forever (but I wouldn't be devastated, either).

It is tempting, to me as well, to look at my scholarship as an economical stepping stone to bigger things, and I've had this mental debate with myself as well. If you have the chance to transfer to an amazing school, HYS/T10, I don't think you, or anyone, should hesitate at an opportunity like that. You are not 'betraying' anybody, you are seizing a unique opportunity and it's likely many professors may actually urge you to go for it. I work with someone who was a transfer and his advisor actually flat-out told him, you should move up. It happens frequently and despite the downsides is a path to success for many people. But leaving Case for OSU or Cinci? Nahh. The advantage at OSU is marginal - place anywhere in Ohio, more clerkships, more scholarly faculty and in-state tuition - and in the case of Cinci, I'm not convinced it exists at all, unless you want to work in Cinci. I don't think the amount you'd save over the last two years would justify it. Remember, transferring is a headache on top of everything else you have to do, and there's no guarantee of success.

As far as I'm concerned, if you're happy with a Case degree, just stick with Case. Go in assuming you will, invest in the school and your time there, and do the best job you possibly can. If you are unhappy or get a markedly better offer, by all means, explore the option to transfer.

Return to “Law School Acceptances, Denials, and Waitlists”