NYU (w/ fellowship) vs. Chicago (w/ fellowship)

Share Your Experiences, Read About Other Experiences. Please keep posts organized by school and expected year of graduation.
R. Hood

NYU (w/ fellowship) vs. Chicago (w/ fellowship)

Postby R. Hood » Wed Mar 31, 2010 8:40 pm

Hi guys,

I am facing a difficult issue here and am hoping to solicit some advice from TSLers. In an unexpected turn of events, NYU offered me the Environmental Law Scholars program fellowship, which is a pretty hefty scholarship and also offers great career networking opportunities. Chicago made an offer for a similar scholarship amount and a summer program in climate change legal scholarship.

I now need to decide between these two great options. On the one hand, NYU's environmental program is perhaps the best and most progressive in the country. It's also quite a bit closer to my s/o who will be at HLS. On the other, I believe Chicago to be the better all around education. I also think they are contributing a lot to cutting edge legal discourse on climate change regulation and finance.

What's the better play? I have to respond to NYU on April 2nd. In addition, the NYU decision is binding, so any positive news from HLS would be forfeit.

Thanks everyone,
RH

Tanicius

Re: NYU (w/ fellowship) vs. Chicago (w/ fellowship)

Postby Tanicius » Wed Mar 31, 2010 8:43 pm

R. Hood wrote:Hi guys,

I am facing a difficult issue here and am hoping to solicit some advice from TSLers. In an unexpected turn of events, NYU offered me the Environmental Law Scholars program fellowship, which is a pretty hefty scholarship and also offers great career networking opportunities. Chicago made an offer for a similar scholarship amount and a summer program in climate change legal scholarship.

I now need to decide between these two great options. On the one hand, NYU's environmental program is perhaps the best and most progressive in the country. It's also quite a bit closer to my s/o who will be at HLS. On the other, I believe Chicago to be the better all around education. I also think they are contributing a lot to cutting edge legal discourse on climate change regulation and finance.

What's the better play? I have to respond to NYU on April 2nd. In addition, the NYU decision is binding, so any positive news from HLS would be forfeit.

Thanks everyone,
RH

NYU for sure, assuming the S/O is serious. If not, still sounds like NYU is the way to go for this. You're not sacrificing a better "education," and that comes from someone who personally would go to Chicago over NYU.

Postby 09042014 » Wed Mar 31, 2010 8:47 pm

R. Hood wrote:Hi guys,

Thanks everyone,
RH

If it helps, you really don't have a shot at HLS.

Everything you said seems to favor NYU.

Great Satchmo

Postby Great Satchmo » Wed Mar 31, 2010 8:49 pm

Hmm, the "positive news from HLS would be forfeit" caught my eye.

If HLS is your first choice, and you feel you have a shot, then Chicago may be the gambling man's (or woman's) choice. Given that you don't have a strong preference between Chicago and NYU, it would stand to reason that having a shot at HLS with Chicago in your back pocket gives you the most option.

However, if the proximity to your SO and the strength of the environmental law program at NYU makes you pretty content, it's surely unlikely you can go wrong with it.

R. Hood

Postby R. Hood » Wed Mar 31, 2010 9:29 pm

Thanks for your uplifting comments and support.

Any votes for Chicago?

WrappedUpInBooks

Postby WrappedUpInBooks » Wed Mar 31, 2010 9:40 pm

I think that the wording of the NYU agreement is that you will withdraw from all places you have been accepted... it doesn't seem to preclude waiting for further offers or staying on a wait list. You would be out the deposit, though.

Return to “Law School Acceptances, Denials, and Waitlists”