Cardozo or Rutgers-Newark?

Share Your Experiences, Read About Other Experiences. Please keep posts organized by school and expected year of graduation.

Cardozo or Rutgers-Newark for a New Yorker?

Cardozo (full tuition, live at home)
70%
Rutgers-Newark (full NJ resident tuition, plus on-campus living)
30%

Total votes: 33

mimi317

Cardozo or Rutgers-Newark?

Postby mimi317 » Wed Mar 31, 2010 1:07 pm

Hi there, please vote and feel free to elaborate on the reasons for your vote. I would be living at home while at Cardozo but it still comes out to be more expensive (by roughly 10k a year) than living on-campus at Rutgers-Newark. Do you think this difference is well justified? I would prefer to live and practice in NYC although I would be amenable to relocating to parts of NJ very close to the city.

Thanks for your time in advance!

JOThompson

Re: Cardozo or Rutgers-Newark?

Postby JOThompson » Wed Mar 31, 2010 1:10 pm

Cardozo will open up more career doors for you. The total COA is prohibitive for many students, but if the cost gap between Cardozo and Rutgers is only $10k, go to Cardozo!

NU_Jet55

Postby NU_Jet55 » Wed Mar 31, 2010 1:14 pm

Go to Rutgers-Newark and open up some $ for meh at Cardozo! :twisted:

lawschooliseasy

Postby lawschooliseasy » Wed Mar 31, 2010 1:19 pm

NU_Jet55 wrote:Go to Rutgers-Newark and open up some $ for meh at Cardozo! :twisted:

I'll be withdrawing from a full ride soon.

mimi317

Postby mimi317 » Wed Mar 31, 2010 1:29 pm

I just realized it might be helpful to clarify that I would be PAYING full tuition for both schools, I'm not referring to any full tuition scholarships in the poll. Sorry about that! I tend to block out the fact that there are higher beings among us walking around with full rides. ;-)

dakatz

Postby dakatz » Wed Mar 31, 2010 1:32 pm

mimi317 wrote:I just realized it might be helpful to clarify that I would be PAYING full tuition for both schools, I'm not referring to any full tuition scholarships in the poll. Sorry about that! I tend to block out the fact that there are higher beings among us walking around with full rides. ;-)

Oh then this shouldn't be a question. Rutgers Newark by a mile. Why would you pay 44K to go to Cardozo? That's what Harvard charges. You wouldn't pay the price of a Lexus to drive a Ford Taurus. Rutgers is pretty much just as good as Cardozo (remember that the differences in rank are essentially insignificant past about 30 or so), and is MUCH cheaper with the in-state tuition. Plus, NJ has very few law schools so Rutgers opens doors for many NJ clerkship positions.

JOThompson

Postby JOThompson » Wed Mar 31, 2010 1:38 pm

dakatz wrote:
mimi317 wrote:I just realized it might be helpful to clarify that I would be PAYING full tuition for both schools, I'm not referring to any full tuition scholarships in the poll. Sorry about that! I tend to block out the fact that there are higher beings among us walking around with full rides. ;-)

Oh then this shouldn't be a question. Rutgers Newark by a mile. Why would you pay 44K to go to Cardozo? That's what Harvard charges. You wouldn't pay the price of a Lexus to drive a Ford Taurus. Rutgers is pretty much just as good as Cardozo (remember that the differences in rank are essentially insignificant past about 30 or so), and is MUCH cheaper with the in-state tuition. Plus, NJ has very few law schools so Rutgers opens doors for many NJ clerkship positions.

She has housing in NYC though, which nearly offsets the difference. Total COA at Cardozo versus total COA at Rutgers, the latter should usually win, unless you have free rent in NYC. Don't you think that Cardozo can be justified for another $10k a year?

Jabramo3

Postby Jabramo3 » Fri Apr 02, 2010 11:33 pm

Wow I have the exact same dilemma! I'd be paying full tuition at both - the question is will Cardozo open up many more door than Rutgers?

bernie shmegma

Postby bernie shmegma » Sat Apr 03, 2010 1:07 am

dakatz wrote:

Mimzeroni, may I call you mimzeroni? Ok good. You have a unique scenario. Living at home in NYC turns out to be free housing and among other services I am sure, while full tuition at Cardozo is 44K. On the other hand you will have Newark housing to pay for, your time dealing with upkeep and in-state NJ tuition. So this is still less than Cardozo at 44K. Ok. However, to be pay 30K more to have other things taken care of for you for 3 years and the ability to network in NYC without the cost most people take on is essentially like getting a scholarship to Cardozo. The question is, do you value Cardozo more than RU. I think 30K is a negligible price to pay if it means your comfort and support system. If the role were reversed and you were living at home in NJ and had in-state to RU vs. living in the city and paying full sticker at Dozo, that would be a hands down decision for RU. This makes things tougher. Is Cardozo worth 30K more than RU, arguably not. A lot of people would say definitely, but that is because they are paying A LOT more than that just to go there or similarly situated institutions so 30K would make them VERY defensive. In your situation that "arguably not," becomes a lot closer to a "maybe," in which case you would have to determine what is best for you during the next three years. Is 30K a negligible price to pay for your personal preferences and comfort level? Does either school provide something that you know you are interested in? Will you most likely end up in NJ and have rather not have 30K extra debt to pay off?

Your decision should really come down to how much you value living at home, how much you feel you will compete in NYC, and what school best fits you. It sounds like money should not be so much of an issue here after talking it all out IMO.

bernie shmegma

Postby bernie shmegma » Sat Apr 03, 2010 1:10 am

Jabramo3 wrote:Wow I have the exact same dilemma! I'd be paying full tuition at both - the question is will Cardozo open up many more door than Rutgers?

Do you have the same living situation though? Will you have debt?

mimi317

Postby mimi317 » Mon Apr 05, 2010 12:18 pm

LMAO, Mimzeroni makes me sound like some cheesy pasta dish but I'm game for it. Thanks for your sound advice.

Ernie, (couldn't help reminiscing back to my Sesame Street days) I'm going to try to go to as many events as possible for both schools, just to get a better feel for the incoming students and faculty. I'm definitely going to the April 17th bbq at Rutgers and would love to meet all of the interesting personas on these Rutgers threads. PM me if you go.

bernie shmegma wrote:
dakatz wrote:

Mimzeroni, may I call you mimzeroni? Ok good. You have a unique scenario. Living at home in NYC turns out to be free housing and among other services I am sure, while full tuition at Cardozo is 44K. On the other hand you will have Newark housing to pay for, your time dealing with upkeep and in-state NJ tuition. So this is still less than Cardozo at 44K. Ok. However, to be pay 30K more to have other things taken care of for you for 3 years and the ability to network in NYC without the cost most people take on is essentially like getting a scholarship to Cardozo. The question is, do you value Cardozo more than RU. I think 30K is a negligible price to pay if it means your comfort and support system. If the role were reversed and you were living at home in NJ and had in-state to RU vs. living in the city and paying full sticker at Dozo, that would be a hands down decision for RU. This makes things tougher. Is Cardozo worth 30K more than RU, arguably not. A lot of people would say definitely, but that is because they are paying A LOT more than that just to go there or similarly situated institutions so 30K would make them VERY defensive. In your situation that "arguably not," becomes a lot closer to a "maybe," in which case you would have to determine what is best for you during the next three years. Is 30K a negligible price to pay for your personal preferences and comfort level? Does either school provide something that you know you are interested in? Will you most likely end up in NJ and have rather not have 30K extra debt to pay off?

Your decision should really come down to how much you value living at home, how much you feel you will compete in NYC, and what school best fits you. It sounds like money should not be so much of an issue here after talking it all out IMO.[/quote

Return to “Law School Acceptances, Denials, and Waitlists”