Decision help Forum

Share Your Experiences, Read About Other Experiences. Please keep posts organized by school and expected year of graduation.

Which school should I choose?

U Miami - Miami Scholars Program - $25k Scholarship ($13,000)
14%
Case Western - $30k Scholarship ($10,000)
31%
Stetson - Full Tuition + 5k ($0)
21%
U San Diego - $25k Scholarship ($16,200)
17%
Hold out for Seton Hall, IU-Bloomington, or Cardozo
17%

Total votes: 29

roguey

Bronze

Decision help

Post by roguey » Wed Mar 31, 2010 10:34 am

I am kind of torn. My goal is to go into immigration law working in the public sector. Eventually I hope to work in policy advocacy. My ultimate goal is to return to academia (probably in the social sciences). My two biggest concerns are cost and immigration opportunities. I can't get grad plus loans or private loans, so I am limited to the standard $20,500. Ok... so which school do you guys think I should choose?

-Edited to include that the number in parenthesis by each school is the cost after scholarships are applied.
Last edited by roguey on Wed Mar 31, 2010 10:43 am, edited 1 time in total.

baboon309

Bronze

Re: Decision help

Post by baboon309 » Wed Mar 31, 2010 10:38 am

roguey wrote:I am kind of torn. My goal is to go into immigration law working in the public sector. Eventually I hope to work in policy advocacy. My ultimate goal is to return to academia (probably in the social sciences). My two biggest concerns are cost and immigration opportunities. I can't get grad plus loans or private loans, so I am limited to the standard $20,500. Ok... so which school do you guys think I should choose?

-Edited to include that the number in parenthesis by each school is the cost after scholarships are applied.
Miami Scholars +1
Cuz it also comes with a guaranteed 1L summer internship at Florida or your hometown+5k stipend.
Btw, Isnt tuition 38k in miami?

roguey

Bronze

Post by roguey » Wed Mar 31, 2010 10:43 am

baboon309 wrote:
roguey wrote:I am kind of torn. My goal is to go into immigration law working in the public sector. Eventually I hope to work in policy advocacy. My ultimate goal is to return to academia (probably in the social sciences). My two biggest concerns are cost and immigration opportunities. I can't get grad plus loans or private loans, so I am limited to the standard $20,500. Ok... so which school do you guys think I should choose?

Miami Scholars +1
Cuz it also comes with a guaranteed 1L summer internship at Florida or your hometown+5k stipend.
You are correct. I added $2k to all tuition amounts when I made my excel spreadsheet a few months ago, before many schools had posted their 2010-2011 tuition rates.

roguey

Bronze

Post by roguey » Wed Mar 31, 2010 10:46 am

roguey wrote:
baboon309 wrote:

Miami Scholars +1
You are correct. I added $2k to all tuition amounts when I made my excel spreadsheet a few months ago, before many schools had posted their 2010-2011 tuition rates.
I'd love Miami, but I'm trying to figure out where I could live for $3,500 a semester, lol. The summer stipend is cool and all, but I needs a roof :)

snowpeach06

Gold

Post by snowpeach06 » Wed Mar 31, 2010 11:07 am

Case or Cardozo. Case is the best school on that list at a pretty low price. And Cardozo would be better but super expensive, so if you don't want debt, I wouldn't do that.

Want to continue reading?

Register now to search topics and post comments!

Absolutely FREE!

roguey

Bronze

Post by roguey » Wed Mar 31, 2010 2:17 pm

snowpeach06 wrote:Case or Cardozo. Case is the best school on that list at a pretty low price. And Cardozo would be better but super expensive, so if you don't want debt, I wouldn't do that.
I'm actually surprised that no one on here has mentioned about ranking really. I know IUB is the highest ranked on here and then Case is next. I'm really thinking Case because they have a lot more immigration offerings than any other school, and I can survive in Cleveland on 10k a year, lol.

gdane

Diamond

Post by gdane » Wed Mar 31, 2010 3:05 pm

Rankings dont matter! People put wayyy too much thought into each and every spot. Dont.

The rankings should be used as a general guideline in my opinion. Start at the top 10, then 10-15, then 15-25, then 25-50, then 50-100 and finally TTT and TTTT.

Its kind of dumb to say "That school is better because its ranked 30 as opposed to the other school thats ranked 35" or "If you go to the 35th ranked school, you'll get a better job than someone that went to the 40th ranked school". Employers dont care about rankings. They use them as a general guideline, giving those at the top the most preference, but they dont look at each and every litte spot.

roguey

Bronze

Post by roguey » Thu Apr 01, 2010 12:16 am

gdane5 wrote:Rankings dont matter! People put wayyy too much thought into each and every spot. Dont.

The rankings should be used as a general guideline in my opinion. Start at the top 10, then 10-15, then 15-25, then 25-50, then 50-100 and finally TTT and TTTT.

Its kind of dumb to say "That school is better because its ranked 30 as opposed to the other school thats ranked 35" or "If you go to the 35th ranked school, you'll get a better job than someone that went to the 40th ranked school". Employers dont care about rankings. They use them as a general guideline, giving those at the top the most preference, but they dont look at each and every litte spot.
I know. I was just joking, lol. I also meant to say I'm surprised no one has said, "Study over the summer, retake the LSAT, get a 199, and wait until next cycle." I'm more joking at TLS' expense :)

84Sunbird2000

Silver

Post by 84Sunbird2000 » Thu Apr 01, 2010 12:28 am

Stetson or Case. I picked Case because they do really have a good immigration/international law program. Stetson is solid and I really like them, but Case definitely gives you a wider geographical range. Obviously, you can get out with almost no debt at Stetson (and it is a beautiful campus), but for some reason I didn't get as great a vibe at Stetson as I hoped I would have - thus my bias leads me to pick Case.

snowpeach06

Gold

Post by snowpeach06 » Thu Apr 01, 2010 9:35 am

roguey wrote:
snowpeach06 wrote:Case or Cardozo. Case is the best school on that list at a pretty low price. And Cardozo would be better but super expensive, so if you don't want debt, I wouldn't do that.
I'm actually surprised that no one on here has mentioned about ranking really. I know IUB is the highest ranked on here and then Case is next. I'm really thinking Case because they have a lot more immigration offerings than any other school, and I can survive in Cleveland on 10k a year, your attempt at humor is the most laughable thing about your post; sadly, it is not that laughable.
OMG!!1! Don't be rude. This isn't 4-chan.

Seriously though, when factoring in money and prestige and the specific program he wants, Case is just good. I personally think Cardozo is great (better even) because of the location. NYC obviously has way more 2L and 3L during the year jobs, cultural things, ect, than Cleveland. And I think all that is important, so if you don't mind a huge price tag, I think it is a good option. But, the price tag is pretty high, and Case is near free in terms of how much you could be paying for law school.

Want to continue reading?

Register for access!

Did I mention it was FREE ?

Return to “Law School Acceptances, Denials, and Waitlists”