Indiana Maurer School of Law V. University of Wisconsin Forum

Share Your Experiences, Read About Other Experiences. Please keep posts organized by school and expected year of graduation.

Indiana Maurer School of Law V. University of Wisconsin

Poll ended at Fri Apr 02, 2010 10:37 pm

Attend Indiana w/ per year cost of 28k in Tuition
32%
Attend Wisconsin w/ per year cost of 17k in Tuition
68%

Total votes: 62

aquanow

New

Indiana Maurer School of Law V. University of Wisconsin

Post by aquanow » Tue Mar 30, 2010 10:37 pm

Let me know your thoughts, I am having a tough time deciding and need all the help I can get. Post a reason too if you like!

NickM54

New

Re: Indiana Maurer School of Law V. University of Wisconsin

Post by NickM54 » Tue Mar 30, 2010 10:39 pm

I think there is little difference, go with the cheaper option.

gdane

Diamond

Post by gdane » Tue Mar 30, 2010 10:51 pm

Wisconsin!! Be a Badger!

Plus, Madison is quite a fun place to be or so i've heard. Haha.

In all seriousness, go to Wisconsin. The cost is better suited for you and please dont let yourself be a slave to the USNWR rankings. I know IU is "ranked higher", but do ten or so spots really make a difference at 23 and 35? I dont believe. If the comparison was between Texas and Wisconsin or Vanderbilt and Wisconsin, then Id say take the other schools, but between IU and Wisonsin? Take Wisconsin.

megster_29

New

Post by megster_29 » Tue Mar 30, 2010 11:05 pm

If you want to practice in WI it is dumb not to go to UW. It has major clout in the state and if you graduate from UW you don't have to pass the bar; you are just automatically admitted in the state of WI.

Jerome

Bronze

Post by Jerome » Tue Mar 30, 2010 11:59 pm

If NLJ 250 is a consideration, Wisconsin places better than IU. Take that for what it's worth, though...

Want to continue reading?

Register now to search topics and post comments!

Absolutely FREE!

aquanow

New

Post by aquanow » Wed Mar 31, 2010 9:34 am

So if I were to put Big law aside as I am looking more towards a mid to large size firm would you still think Wisconsin?

danquayle

Silver

Post by danquayle » Wed Mar 31, 2010 10:01 am

aquanow wrote:So if I were to put Big law aside as I am looking more towards a mid to large size firm would you still think Wisconsin?
Where do you want to work OP?

aquanow

New

Post by aquanow » Wed Mar 31, 2010 10:09 am

I want to end up in the Midwest, preferably Western Michigan, Indianapolis, Chicago, or Wisconsin. I am not super picky at the moment.

danquayle

Silver

Post by danquayle » Wed Mar 31, 2010 10:29 am

aquanow wrote:
I want to end up in the Midwest, preferably Western Michigan, Indianapolis, Chicago, or Wisconsin. I am not super picky at the moment.
Wisconsin lets you join the bar straight out of law school without passing the bar exam. If you plan on working in Wisconsin, then UW is a clear no brainer, especially since you have a better financial package from them.

IU definitely has more momentum, and they're gaming the system far more effectively than Wisconsin is, so it may end up being the stronger degree down the road. But that's all speculation right now.

Want to continue reading?

Register for access!

Did I mention it was FREE ?

aquanow

New

Post by aquanow » Wed Mar 31, 2010 11:03 am

Wisconsin lets you join the bar straight out of law school without passing the bar exam. If you plan on working in Wisconsin, then UW is a clear no brainer, especially since you have a better financial package from them.

IU definitely has more momentum, and they're gaming the system far more effectively than Wisconsin is, so it may end up being the stronger degree down the road. But that's all speculation right now
I feel torn because I liked IU better on the visit, but the $ and the gamble of if they are truly going to be the stronger degree are making the choice very hard. I filed for extensions to both schools so I get 2 more weeks at least.

aquanow

New

Post by aquanow » Wed Mar 31, 2010 12:24 pm

Anyone else in a similar boat? What is your Decision?

Jerome

Bronze

Post by Jerome » Wed Mar 31, 2010 12:30 pm

danquayle wrote:Wisconsin lets you join the bar straight out of law school without passing the bar exam. If you plan on working in Wisconsin, then UW is a clear no brainer, especially since you have a better financial package from them.

IU definitely has more momentum, and they're gaming the system far more effectively than Wisconsin is, so it may end up being the stronger degree down the road. But that's all speculation right now.
+1. Even with momentum, there is no guarantee that IUB will be a stronger degree than Wisc in anything other than a marginal capacity. Take the cheaper option.

aquanow

New

Post by aquanow » Wed Mar 31, 2010 1:09 pm

Additionally I am relatively conservative... I guess one of my worries about Wisconsin is that it is quite liberal, but I don't know how much that comes into play. Can anyone speak to that who attends Wisconsin or knows?

Register now!

Resources to assist law school applicants, students & graduates.

It's still FREE!

danquayle

Silver

Post by danquayle » Wed Mar 31, 2010 2:08 pm

aquanow wrote:

IU definitely has more momentum, and they're gaming the system far more effectively than Wisconsin is, so it may end up being the stronger degree down the road. But that's all speculation right now
I feel torn because I liked IU better on the visit, but the $ and the gamble of if they are truly going to be the stronger degree are making the choice very hard. I filed for extensions to both schools so I get 2 more weeks at least.
Then that changes things a bit. As of right now they're peer schools, so the decision should come down to whichever region you prefer, forgetting other relevant factors. If you prefer Indiana, then I don't think you'd be paying too a crazy premium to go there. That's not factoring in the potential for a stronger degree longer down the road. With that added in, it makes the extra money you'd pay more palatable. Also, you should consider that the cost of living will also be a bit cheaper in Bloomington.

Both campuses are very liberal, but Indiana is a much more conservative state. Indianapolis actually is one of the few large cities that is largely conservative. So if you want to practice somewhere conservative, Indiana is a better choice. But, like most college towns, you're going to be living somewhere liberal for at least 3 years.

So yes, all things equal I'd take UW easily. But if you favor Indiana, then I'd take IUB, also easily.

Just make sure you'd be choosing Indiana because you like Indiana better. Don't go because its ranking is higher... its very possible it could be ranked below Wisconsin by the time you graduate.

aquanow

New

Post by aquanow » Wed Mar 31, 2010 5:34 pm

Bump one time for more votes! :)

Jerome

Bronze

Post by Jerome » Wed Mar 31, 2010 5:42 pm

aquanow wrote:Additionally I am relatively conservative... I guess one of my worries about Wisconsin is that it is quite liberal, but I don't know how much that comes into play. Can anyone speak to that who attends Wisconsin or knows?
I think you should never base a decision on the (perceived) politics of a school or its student body. You want a good education. It shouldn't matter if the professors are Tribe/Dershowitz/Guinier or Kerr/Calabresi/Althouse (who is actually at Wisc). At the end of the day, you can join the Federalist Society and bask in conservative thought, or join the National Lawyers Guild, and chill with the lefties.

danquayle

Silver

Post by danquayle » Wed Mar 31, 2010 5:48 pm

Jerome wrote:
aquanow wrote:Additionally I am relatively conservative... I guess one of my worries about Wisconsin is that it is quite liberal, but I don't know how much that comes into play. Can anyone speak to that who attends Wisconsin or knows?
I think you should never base a decision on the (perceived) politics of a school or its student body. You want a good education. It shouldn't matter if the professors are Tribe/Dershowitz/Guinier or Kerr/Calabresi/Althouse (who is actually at Wisc). At the end of the day, you can join the Federalist Society and bask in conservative thought, or join the National Lawyers Guild, and chill with the lefties.
Yes, but it does matter to a degree whether you want to live in a Conservative or Liberal dominated state.

Get unlimited access to all forums and topics

Register now!

I'm pretty sure I told you it's FREE...

84Sunbird2000

Silver

Post by 84Sunbird2000 » Wed Mar 31, 2010 5:49 pm

Jerome wrote:

I would agree in the case of IUB and WI, but there are exceptions (Pepperdine, Baylor, Samford (Cumberland), Liberty, Regent, BYU)....or (Vermont, Northeastern, maybe Berkeley and NYU). I voted Wisconsin (originally from Beloit/Rockford) because it's cheaper and bar privilege must make 3L awfully nice.

Jerome

Bronze

Post by Jerome » Wed Mar 31, 2010 5:55 pm

danquayle wrote:
Jerome wrote:
Yes, but it does matter to a degree whether you want to live in a Conservative or Liberal dominated state.
Perhaps, but Indiana and Wisconsin aren't state size versions of San Francisco and Provo. A degree from Wisconsin or Indiana wont preclude the OP from living and working in conservative parts of the country. For good schools (not Regent and the like), I strongly feel that political leanings should be the lowest consideration on the list.

superflush

Silver

Post by superflush » Wed Mar 31, 2010 7:56 pm

NickM54 wrote:I think there is little difference, go with the cheaper option.
This. Especially if you will have to take out loans.

and This:
danquayle wrote:Where do you want to work OP?

gdane

Diamond

Post by gdane » Wed Mar 31, 2010 8:12 pm

I dont know about Wisconsin being conservative. The state has voted for a Democratic president since 1988 and 5 of the 8 congressional representatives are democrats. However, the 3 republicans are very conservative, but I still believe that most of WI is democratic. Maybe not "liberal", but definitely not conservative.

Communicate now with those who not only know what a legal education is, but can offer you worthy advice and commentary as you complete the three most educational, yet challenging years of your law related post graduate life.

Register now, it's still FREE!

aquanow

New

Post by aquanow » Wed Mar 31, 2010 9:02 pm

superflush wrote:
NickM54 wrote:I think there is little difference, go with the cheaper option.
This. Especially if you will have to take out loans.

and This:
danquayle wrote:Where do you want to work OP?
I will be taking out loans to finance nearly all of my education. I still don't know if I want the cash to be the ultimate decider. Is it worth being less happy at the cost of saving $?

gdane

Diamond

Post by gdane » Wed Mar 31, 2010 9:13 pm

Dont be negative. Always see things as a positive. Dont be cynical.

Wisconsin is clearly the better option. You might have the best 3 years of your life. I went to an undergrad that I didnt want to go to and I ended up meeting the best people and I had the best time.

Ultimately its up to you, but do consider Wisconsin. Plus, I think you'll be more unhappy dealing with all the debt you'll have from going to IU.

Seriously? What are you waiting for?

Now there's a charge.
Just kidding ... it's still FREE!

Return to “Law School Acceptances, Denials, and Waitlists”