NYU or Columbia? Forum

Share Your Experiences, Read About Other Experiences. Please keep posts organized by school and expected year of graduation.

NYU or Columbia?

NYU
56%
Columbia
44%

Total votes: 48

NYCbound

New

NYU or Columbia?

Post by NYCbound » Tue Mar 30, 2010 6:58 pm

Should I go to Columbia or NYU? I want to practice public interest/environmental law, probably in CA. I know NYU has a reputation for being more PI-focused, but Columbia has more prestige. Thoughts?

Richie Tenenbaum

Gold

Re: NYU or Columbia?

Post by Richie Tenenbaum » Tue Mar 30, 2010 7:31 pm

Visit both, talk with alums from both, and decide which one feels better. Which area do you like better? Specific programs you like at each? Professors? (though this one can be more of a stretch since you don't know for sure that they'll be there all 3 years) I think comfort level with the school comes into play when things are this close.

If all things are pretty much equal, Columbia is the stronger school overall. Doesn't it now have a little bit of a stronger LRAP as well?

[with all that said, if I had the choice between the two I would probably go with NYU personally even though that seems to go against the typical mindset]

NYCbound

New

Post by NYCbound » Tue Mar 30, 2010 8:41 pm

I will be visiting both schools next week, but i honestly don't know which school i prefer at this point. There are a lot of factors to take into account, and it is difficult for me to fairly weight those factors (ie how much should i care that one has a slightly lower faculty-student ratio, while the other may have a cooler clinic).

I guess my big question is what will leave me with better prospects for env/PI law? Columbia has more prestige overall, but would NYU have better connections in the public interest community that would overcome that prestige?

Job placement and loan repayment programs are going to make the difference for me (I won't receive any financial aid from either schools). I know that on paper Columbia's LRAP is better - anyone know how much fine print is associated with their program though? I know you have to jump through a lot of hoops at some schools.

scribelaw

Silver

Post by scribelaw » Tue Mar 30, 2010 8:48 pm

Check out this thread if you haven't already -- very helpful.

http://www.top-law-schools.com/forums/v ... 1&t=105942

Veyron

Gold

Post by Veyron » Tue Mar 30, 2010 8:56 pm

[quote="NYCbound"]

I guess my big question is what will leave me with better prospects for env/PI law? Columbia has more prestige overall, but would NYU have better connections in the public interest community that would overcome that prestige? [quote]

Yes. NYU is THE PI powerhouse. Look up ACLU atty bios sometime, NYU blows CLS away. They have the NYC public interest fair and make the fims reserve many interview spots for NYU students as a condition of attendance. General consensus. CLS slightly better for BIGLAW, NYU slightly better for PI.

Want to continue reading?

Register now to search topics and post comments!

Absolutely FREE!

BenJ

Silver

Post by BenJ » Tue Mar 30, 2010 10:23 pm

NYU, definitely. They're absolutely the best for PI, and their dean is an environmental lawyer, so there's a ton of opportunities, networking and money for environmental law. Columbia can't compare on either point.

OperaSoprano

Gold

Post by OperaSoprano » Tue Mar 30, 2010 10:28 pm

Both our local T14s are wonderful, but I should point out that NYU hosts the annual PILC fair, and by special arrangement, a certain percentage of the interview slots have to go to NYU students. I wasn't that jealous of them.

Beyond this, I second the general advice about visiting. Spend some time in each neighborhood, and get a feel for the quality of life.

gdane

Diamond

Post by gdane » Tue Mar 30, 2010 10:53 pm

Go to NYU. Be in the Village!

Want to continue reading?

Register for access!

Did I mention it was FREE ?

Return to “Law School Acceptances, Denials, and Waitlists”