Scholarship Negotiation

Share Your Experiences, Read About Other Experiences. Please keep posts organized by school and expected year of graduation.
lawfuture10

Scholarship Negotiation

Postby lawfuture10 » Tue Mar 30, 2010 5:31 pm

This may seem like a stupid proposition to most people, but I need some advice on going about negotiating a scholarship.

I was recently admitted to a tier 3 school on the East Coast that has been my personal number one since the start of my application process (personal reasons, location, etc.). I have also been admitted into two tier-1 schools, and two tier-2 schools. I believed that I would receive at least a half scholarship to this tier-3 school, but upon reception of my admissions packet, I was shocked to see that it was at sticker price. My question here is to see how plausible it would be to attempt to get scholarship money out of said tier-3 school, as I still wish to attend this institution, but can not justify doing so at sticker price while being admitted to other schools ranked so much higher.

Is it plausible to attempt to get a half scholarship after being offered nothing? I also have not been offered scholarships from any of my other admits thus far, but I figure as they are ranked so much higher, that must be worth something?

If anyone could assist me in how to go about this process, what exactly to say, etc., it would be much appreciated! Thank you!

**I would like to note that my GPA is slightly below a 3.0. (However, it comes from a very presitigous Ivy-League University in an ultra-competitive program and my LSAT is above 165)
Last edited by lawfuture10 on Tue Mar 30, 2010 7:22 pm, edited 1 time in total.

adameus

Re: Tier 3 Scholarship Negotiation

Postby adameus » Tue Mar 30, 2010 5:36 pm

I would send them a message saying that you would likely attend said Law School if you were given a significant scholarhsip offer. I don't think you have anything to lose.

lawfuture10

Postby lawfuture10 » Tue Mar 30, 2010 5:52 pm

Should I mention being admitted to other (higher ranked) schools? Specifically name the schools? Should I make a specific request or just generally ask?

BenJ

Postby BenJ » Tue Mar 30, 2010 6:08 pm

Yes, definitely mention at least the T1 acceptances. But bear in mind that many T3s simply do not have the funds to offer very many scholarships, and what meager scholarship money they do have to offer is often distributed early on in the application process. I would be realistically pessimistic about your chances of receiving a scholarship.

Also, just curious, why are you seriously considering a T3 over T1s? I mean, I could see choosing a T3 over Hofstra or Maine or USF or some other lower T2 if you have a specific area in which you want to work, but a T1 anywhere in the country is probably better for job opportunities in the T3 school's area anyway. Law school is only three years, but going to a T3 will drag you down forever.

lawfuture10

Re:Scholarship Negotiation

Postby lawfuture10 » Tue Mar 30, 2010 7:15 pm

BenJ wrote:Yes, definitely mention at least the T1 acceptances. But bear in mind that many T3s simply do not have the funds to offer very many scholarships, and what meager scholarship money they do have to offer is often distributed early on in the application process. I would be realistically pessimistic about your chances of receiving a scholarship.

Also, just curious, why are you seriously considering a T3 over T1s? I mean, I could see choosing a T3 over Hofstra or Maine or USF or some other lower T2 if you have a specific area in which you want to work, but a T1 anywhere in the country is probably better for job opportunities in the T3 school's area anyway. Law school is only three years, but going to a T3 will drag you down forever.

I understand about the money, especially for a T3. This particular school however, does not seem to be strapped for cash (based on years previous, and this year's LSN numbers).

As for why I am considering this particular school, I really do believe in the school. However disillusioned I may be, I believe that the school is on the up and up. I also would not have to move out of my parents house, saving a considerable amount of $$ from a COL standpoint. The school also has a particular program that I believe is perfectly suited to my needs. However, I do see how STUPID it would be of me to choose this school at sticker over well-respected T-1 schools that may be a little out of my comfort zone.

....Conundrum

lawfuture10

Re: Scholarship Negotiation

Postby lawfuture10 » Wed Mar 31, 2010 2:32 am

bummmp 8)

r6_philly

Re: Scholarship Negotiation

Postby r6_philly » Wed Mar 31, 2010 2:48 am

Consider the monthly cost of loan repayment and the monthly income of the median salary of the T3 grads. Do include the unemployed too. I don't think anyone should be paying sticker for T3 unless the T3 sticker <20k. Because you are unlikely to earn enough right out of school to cover the loan and still live better than had you not gone to law school.

I think you will likely to be better off at the T1 schools. I don't really know which of these schools are but you are probably going have a much easier time finding decent employment that can justify the large sum of money going out each month.

Return to “Law School Acceptances, Denials, and Waitlists”