decision time

Share Your Experiences, Read About Other Experiences. Please keep posts organized by school and expected year of graduation.

What will it be?

WUSTL about $35,000 total
48%
IU, Bloomington Full Tuition
52%

Total votes: 50

iheartucla

decision time

Postby iheartucla » Mon Mar 29, 2010 10:36 pm

I received around $35,000 total from WUSTL and full tuition from Indiana, Bloomington

I am under the impression that Indiana is overrated, but at the same time is the extra $100,000+ in debt worth it to go to WUSTL?

I don't know exactly where or what I to do jobwise, but I kind of hate the midwest (I did like St. Louis though, totally tolerable for 3 years, plus WUSTL has a beautiful campus, whereas Bloomington is in the middle of nowhere and kind of grungy I wasn't really a big fan) so thats the only big consideration...I probably will want to work in big or bigger city

So tell me....where should I go and why?

tesoro

Re: decision time

Postby tesoro » Mon Mar 29, 2010 10:46 pm

iheartucla wrote:I received around $35,000 total from WUSTL and full tuition from Indiana, Bloomington

I am under the impression that Indiana is overrated, but at the same time is the extra $100,000+ in debt worth it to go to WUSTL?

I don't know exactly where or what I to do jobwise, but I kind of hate the midwest (I did like St. Louis though, totally tolerable for 3 years, plus WUSTL has a beautiful campus, whereas Bloomington is in the middle of nowhere and kind of grungy I wasn't really a big fan) so thats the only big consideration...I probably will want to work in big or bigger city

Both of these schools are primarily regional. If you hate the midwest, you applied to the wrong schools, and should attend neither of them. Even if you attend WUSTL your odds of leaving the midwest are higher, but you're still gambling that you're toward the top quarter of your class, which is not a good bet.

My advice is to sit out a cycle and apply to fordham/BU/BC/USC/GWU. If you are getting scholarships at the two schools you're considering, you'll at a minimum be admitted to these suggested. They're all arguably regional, but hey, they're in big cities so lifelong happiness should still be attainable.

This is undoubtedly not the advice you're looking to hear. If you're forced for some strange reason to go to one of these schools, pick IU-B; WUSTL's employment and lay prestige isn't $100k better than IU-B.

Sorry dood, hope I'm not raining on your parade and you find this helpful. Good luck-

iheartucla

Postby iheartucla » Mon Mar 29, 2010 11:47 pm

tesoro wrote:
iheartucla wrote:I received around $35,000 total from WUSTL and full tuition from Indiana, Bloomington

Both of these schools are primarily regional. If you hate the midwest, you applied to the wrong schools, and should attend neither of them. Even if you attend WUSTL your odds of leaving the midwest are higher, but you're still gambling that you're toward the top quarter of your class, which is not a good bet.

My advice is to sit out a cycle and apply to fordham/BU/BC/USC/GWU. If you are getting scholarships at the two schools you're considering, you'll at a minimum be admitted to these suggested. They're all arguably regional, but hey, they're in big cities so lifelong happiness should still be attainable.

This is undoubtedly not the advice you're looking to hear. If you're forced for some strange reason to go to one of these schools, pick IU-B; WUSTL's employment and lay prestige isn't $100k better than IU-B.

Sorry dood, hope I'm not raining on your parade and you find this helpful. Good luck-

I was waitlisted at every single school minus fordham you just mentioned, I was really holding at for BU, got the waitlist today, I had great recs, good softs, and a great GPA, I think my LSAT hurt me

Thanks for the input, it was kind of what I was thinking already, if only I would have started studying for the LSAT earlier *sigh* I worked so hard for that GPA and it doesn't mean shit

tesoro

Postby tesoro » Tue Mar 30, 2010 4:17 pm

iheartucla wrote:
tesoro wrote:

I was waitlisted at every single school minus fordham you just mentioned, I was really holding at for BU, got the waitlist today, I had great recs, good softs, and a great GPA, I think my LSAT hurt me

Thanks for the input, it was kind of what I was thinking already, if only I would have started studying for the LSAT earlier *sigh* I worked so hard for that GPA and it doesn't mean shit

You should strongly consider Fordham. It seems to fit the bill for what you require from a school. I'll be matriculating there myself.

If you don't mind staying in NYC, their published employment statistics are better than those of some T14 schools (for example, GULC). With 93% of students reporting, 57% were employed at firm jobs from c/o 2009. That's pretty darn good ITE, so the extra debt might be worthwhile relative to your other scholarships. Outside of NYC looks like a problem area, though.

Life's not fair. LSAT is sadly the only equalizing tool law schools have, so whether or not you like it you need to accept it without griping. Either retake for next cycle, or be happy with what you have (which appears to be pretty good with your options). Good luck with your waitlists-

iheartucla

Postby iheartucla » Tue Mar 30, 2010 11:17 pm

tesoro wrote:
iheartucla wrote:
tesoro wrote:

You should strongly consider Fordham. It seems to fit the bill for what you require from a school. I'll be matriculating there myself.

If you don't mind staying in NYC, their published employment statistics are better than those of some T14 schools (for example, GULC). With 93% of students reporting, 57% were employed at firm jobs from c/o 2009. That's pretty darn good ITE, so the extra debt might be worthwhile relative to your other scholarships. Outside of NYC looks like a problem area, though.

Life's not fair. LSAT is sadly the only equalizing tool law schools have, so whether or not you like it you need to accept it without griping. Either retake for next cycle, or be happy with what you have (which appears to be pretty good with your options). Good luck with your waitlists-

I didn't mean to sound whiny- im just disappointed in myself

Thanks for the advice!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

cindytran872

Postby cindytran872 » Tue Mar 30, 2010 11:46 pm

[...]
Last edited by cindytran872 on Sun Oct 31, 2010 7:42 pm, edited 1 time in total.

gdane

Postby gdane » Tue Mar 30, 2010 11:50 pm

oh lord... Top 19? Come on. Rankings dont mean anything! Since it's top 19, that means its not regional? Where is the cut off?

I would take IU, but if OP really doesnt like IU for whatever reasons, then go to WUSTL. Both schools are pretty good.

weis14

Postby weis14 » Wed Mar 31, 2010 12:32 am

IU - Assuming you need to borrow $15k per year for COL, your total debt at WUSTL would be about 145k and your monthly loan payments will be over $1600/month without IBR. At IU you will only need to borrow 45k and your monthly loan payments would be about $500/month.

I can't see how paying so much more would benefit you.

Edit:
I ran the numbers here http://www.finaid.org/calculators/loanpayments.phtml

danquayle

Postby danquayle » Wed Mar 31, 2010 10:04 am

weis14 wrote:IU - Assuming you need to borrow $15k per year for COL, your total debt at WUSTL would be about 145k and your monthly loan payments will be over $1600/month without IBR. At IU you will only need to borrow 45k and your monthly loan payments would be about $500/month.

I can't see how paying so much more would benefit you.

Edit:
I ran the numbers here http://www.finaid.org/calculators/loanpayments.phtml

Yeah, they're both regional with some national portability, with WUSTL being slightly stronger in both categories. But not $100k plus interest stronger.

Just be sure you're ok with the Midwest.

Return to “Law School Acceptances, Denials, and Waitlists”