Not sending in the deposit

Share Your Experiences, Read About Other Experiences. Please keep posts organized by school and expected year of graduation.
User avatar
bissey
Posts: 237
Joined: Mon May 11, 2009 5:12 pm

Not sending in the deposit

Postby bissey » Mon Mar 29, 2010 9:06 pm

What happens if you don't send in the deposit by the due date? Is it seen as withdrawing?

User avatar
darknightbegins
Posts: 673
Joined: Sun Jan 31, 2010 11:51 pm

Re: Not sending in the deposit

Postby darknightbegins » Mon Mar 29, 2010 9:42 pm

I thought so, you aren't reserving your seat so I figured that would be the same as withdrawing. I'm not sure though.

User avatar
bissey
Posts: 237
Joined: Mon May 11, 2009 5:12 pm

Re: Not sending in the deposit

Postby bissey » Mon Mar 29, 2010 9:51 pm

So, should I send an e-mail or just assume that they know I'm not attending?

User avatar
Unitas
Posts: 1387
Joined: Wed Sep 02, 2009 7:03 pm

Re: Not sending in the deposit

Postby Unitas » Mon Mar 29, 2010 9:56 pm

bissey wrote:So, should I send an e-mail or just assume that they know I'm not attending?


Send an e-mail, they are all very nice when you withdraw. I think most wait a while past the deadline to account for mailing "don't take this as gospel or fact, I know SOME schools the checks just have to be postmarked before the deadline."

megster_29
Posts: 60
Joined: Tue Jun 12, 2007 9:16 pm

Re: Not sending in the deposit

Postby megster_29 » Mon Mar 29, 2010 9:59 pm

Sending an email takes very minimal effort and makes the process much easier on both the school, and much much more importantly, other applicants who haven't heard yet or are on the. waitlist

User avatar
legalease9
Posts: 623
Joined: Tue Mar 23, 2010 8:41 pm

Re: Not sending in the deposit

Postby legalease9 » Mon Mar 29, 2010 10:00 pm

bissey wrote:So, should I send an e-mail or just assume that they know I'm not attending?


Definitely send an email. If you know you aren't going, there's no reason not to. It just postpones the schools ability to give admissions offers to others.

Geist13
Posts: 739
Joined: Sat Oct 10, 2009 3:21 pm

Re: Not sending in the deposit

Postby Geist13 » Mon Mar 29, 2010 10:01 pm

Just send an email. You don't even have to send a new email to each school. Just write one email saying you want to "withdraw from your law school" and address the email to each school you want to withdraw from. You don't even have to push send more than once. Takes less than 2 minutes. I did exactly this, sent one email to seven schools. Each one responded by thanking me for letting them know. I do think they sincerely appreciate it.

User avatar
PlugInBaby
Posts: 387
Joined: Sat Feb 06, 2010 1:40 am

Re: Not sending in the deposit

Postby PlugInBaby » Mon Mar 29, 2010 10:02 pm

I am looking to reapply next year to a multitude of law schools. A school I got accepted to is one of the schoosl I plan on reapplying to next cycle. What would be the best way to withdraw from that school this time around without making them upset the next cycle?

megster_29
Posts: 60
Joined: Tue Jun 12, 2007 9:16 pm

Re: Not sending in the deposit

Postby megster_29 » Mon Mar 29, 2010 10:04 pm

PlugInBaby wrote:I am looking to reapply next year to a multitude of law schools. A school I got accepted to is one of the schoosl I plan on reapplying to next cycle. What would be the best way to withdraw from that school this time around without making them upset the next cycle?


Have you considered deferring... considerably less risky considering how serious you are about the school.

User avatar
PlugInBaby
Posts: 387
Joined: Sat Feb 06, 2010 1:40 am

Re: Not sending in the deposit

Postby PlugInBaby » Mon Mar 29, 2010 10:07 pm

megster_29 wrote:
PlugInBaby wrote:I am looking to reapply next year to a multitude of law schools. A school I got accepted to is one of the schoosl I plan on reapplying to next cycle. What would be the best way to withdraw from that school this time around without making them upset the next cycle?


Have you considered deferring... considerably less risky considering how serious you are about the school.


I was under the impression that you were not able to apply to other schools if you defer.

megster_29
Posts: 60
Joined: Tue Jun 12, 2007 9:16 pm

Re: Not sending in the deposit

Postby megster_29 » Mon Mar 29, 2010 10:12 pm

Yeah, I don' think you can. Thats why I said depending how serious you are about the school, like if you are pretty sure you want to go there it might be worth it to just commit now and defer instead of chancing it the next cycle. Unless you are a total auto-admit.

User avatar
PlugInBaby
Posts: 387
Joined: Sat Feb 06, 2010 1:40 am

Re: Not sending in the deposit

Postby PlugInBaby » Mon Mar 29, 2010 10:15 pm

megster_29 wrote:Yeah, I don' think you can. Thats why I said depending how serious you are about the school, like if you are pretty sure you want to go there it might be worth it to just commit now and defer instead of chancing it the next cycle. Unless you are a total auto-admit.


I have basically already decided that I am going to try again next year. I just want to think of the most tactful way to show my appreciation for their offer and withdraw this time while staying in good graces as I apply there next time.

User avatar
Unitas
Posts: 1387
Joined: Wed Sep 02, 2009 7:03 pm

Re: Not sending in the deposit

Postby Unitas » Mon Mar 29, 2010 10:18 pm

PlugInBaby wrote:
megster_29 wrote:Yeah, I don' think you can. Thats why I said depending how serious you are about the school, like if you are pretty sure you want to go there it might be worth it to just commit now and defer instead of chancing it the next cycle. Unless you are a total auto-admit.


I have basically already decided that I am going to try again next year. I just want to think of the most tactful way to show my appreciation for their offer and withdraw this time while staying in good graces as I apply there next time.


If you are serious about waiting until next year, send a nice e-mail saying that you regrettably have to decline their offer of admission as you are now planning to reapply for the 2011 application period. Simple and concise..

Roseland
Posts: 18
Joined: Mon Mar 02, 2009 11:20 pm

Re: Not sending in the deposit

Postby Roseland » Mon Mar 29, 2010 11:21 pm

I had this happen last year. I sent a nice letter snail mail personally addressed to the Dean of Admissions. I explained that after careful consideration I was not attending law school this year afterall. I really struggled with my decision and I really appreciated the acceptance and offer of scholarship and would be planning to reapply next year. I also made a personal call to the school to thank them.
This year when I applied that school made me the same financial offer. I was also very careful about sending a well written professional "snail mail" letter to any school that had accepted me and I was not planning to attend. You never know what life will bring. I am really glad I did this carefully because this year my personal situation was different and I was really grateful NOT to have burned any bridges in the last cycle.
I know the world works on email, but to me an email did not seem professional enough for schools where I really wanted to maintain them as an option for the next cycle.
I also know how pissed I was when WUSTL sent me an email in August saying "As you may have guessed, you have not been admitted to our law school." I thought I deserved better. I decided the law schools I want to attend also deserved better from me.

User avatar
darknightbegins
Posts: 673
Joined: Sun Jan 31, 2010 11:51 pm

Re: Not sending in the deposit

Postby darknightbegins » Tue Mar 30, 2010 4:58 am

Haha it said "as you may have guessed"? Fuck what a bunch of pricks.

User avatar
PDaddy
Posts: 2073
Joined: Sat Jan 16, 2010 4:40 am

Re: Not sending in the deposit

Postby PDaddy » Tue Mar 30, 2010 5:17 am

Geist13 wrote:Just send an email. You don't even have to send a new email to each school. Just write one email saying you want to "withdraw from your law school" and address the email to each school you want to withdraw from. You don't even have to push send more than once. Takes less than 2 minutes. I did exactly this, sent one email to seven schools. Each one responded by thanking me for letting them know. I do think they sincerely appreciate it.


Do NOT do this! First, you might feel like withdrawing from a school one day and regret it the next day. Withdraw from one school at a time, and only one school on any day.

But there are other reasons. Would a school reject YOU in an e-mail with 100 other students? No. Why? It feels impersonal, like you are just an insignificant number. So why make the adcoms feel that way? Yes, they know you applied to several schools, but you always want each adcom to feel like their school was your first or second choice. What if you need to transfer one day?

And it's best never to show your "cards" (i.e., what schools you applied to, WL'ed at, etc) to schools, unless negotiating scholarship money or trying to entice for admission. Another reason to avoid one e-mail to several schools is that you may accidentally leave a school's name in the list and withdraw from the wrong one. And while you may be "set" and have already sent your deposit in to your desired school and, thus, feel safe, it's just not a good habit to teach to the masses. Some people withdraw apps before sending in deposits to desired schools. Nothing good can come from sending a single e-mail, except for some saved time, which may not be worth it if you make a mistake and/or insult the adcoms in one press of the button.
Last edited by PDaddy on Tue Mar 30, 2010 5:23 am, edited 3 times in total.

User avatar
darknightbegins
Posts: 673
Joined: Sun Jan 31, 2010 11:51 pm

Re: Not sending in the deposit

Postby darknightbegins » Tue Mar 30, 2010 5:19 am

I've had a school or two reject me through email.

User avatar
PDaddy
Posts: 2073
Joined: Sat Jan 16, 2010 4:40 am

Re: Not sending in the deposit

Postby PDaddy » Tue Mar 30, 2010 5:20 am

darknightbegins wrote:I've had a school or two reject me through email.


But that e-mail goes only to you; it doesn't have a bunch of other students' names in the address bar.

User avatar
Mickey Quicknumbers
Posts: 2177
Joined: Tue Apr 28, 2009 1:22 pm

Re: Not sending in the deposit

Postby Mickey Quicknumbers » Tue Mar 30, 2010 5:32 am

PDaddy wrote:Do NOT do this! First, you might feel like withdrawing from a school one day and regret it the next day. Withdraw from one school at a time, and only one school on any day.

But there are other reasons. Would a school reject YOU in an e-mail with 100 other students? No. Why? It feels impersonal, like you are just an insignificant number. So why make the adcoms feel that way? Yes, they know you applied to several schools, but you always want each adcom to feel like their school was your first or second choice. What if you need to transfer one day?

And it's best never to show your "cards" (i.e., what schools you applied to, WL'ed at, etc) to schools, unless negotiating scholarship money or trying to entice for admission. Another reason to avoid one e-mail to several schools is that you may accidentally leave a school's name in the list and withdraw from the wrong one. And while you may be "set" and have already sent your deposit in to your desired school and, thus, feel safe, it's just not a good habit to teach to the masses. Some people withdraw apps before sending in deposits to desired schools. Nothing good can come from sending a single e-mail, except for some saved time, which may not be worth it if you make a mistake and/or insult the adcoms in one press of the button.


Why are you worrying about minutely offending the adcomms of schools you aren't even attending? What's wrong with withdrawing from two schools in the same day? Since when is getting rejected from a school = declining admission to a school? Who cares if they know they weren't your first or second choice if you are withdrawing? Why is it best to not show your cards to schools you are withdrawing from? They're going to remove your application from the pile and not think twice about it.

Worthless advice all around IMO
Last edited by Mickey Quicknumbers on Tue Mar 30, 2010 5:36 am, edited 2 times in total.

User avatar
darknightbegins
Posts: 673
Joined: Sun Jan 31, 2010 11:51 pm

Re: Not sending in the deposit

Postby darknightbegins » Tue Mar 30, 2010 5:33 am

PDaddy wrote:
darknightbegins wrote:I've had a school or two reject me through email.


But that e-mail goes only to you; it doesn't have a bunch of other students' names in the address bar.


I am sure it is a pretty damn standard rejection. Just because they substitute my name for Student A doesn't mean much. The same letter goes out to everyone.




Return to “Law School Acceptances, Denials, and Waitlists”

Who is online

Users browsing this forum: AustinLu, brinicolec, BruiseWillis, lillawyer2, notnecessarilyproper, ohgosh, potterotter, reydingo, wishywashy and 22 guests