BYU 2010 Waitlist

Share Your Experiences, Read About Other Experiences. Please keep posts organized by school and expected year of graduation.
PigNipple

Re: BYU 2010 Waitlist

Postby PigNipple » Tue May 25, 2010 1:43 pm

Totally pumped. I have just been notified that I am now accepted with a scholarship, which they will take 10% back on annually, and 50 barefoot-in-the-kitchen teenage wives! It's called the Brigham Young full-ride. Please keep the success stories coming. Yay BYU, here I come!

loquist

Postby loquist » Tue May 25, 2010 6:46 pm

PigNipple wrote:Totally pumped. I have just been notified that I am now accepted with a scholarship, which they will take 10% back on annually, and 50 barefoot-in-the-kitchen teenage wives! It's called the Brigham Young full-ride. Please keep the success stories coming. Yay BYU, here I come!

Did you come up with that all by yourself or did Mommy help you?

Loquist

Casper_n

Postby Casper_n » Tue May 25, 2010 7:13 pm

Wow, Bailar, you're willing to leave your husband and family for a year to go to law school? I'm not going to lie -- no educational opportunity would ever be that important to me. In your situation, I'd definitely be studying like crazy to improve my LSAT and trying again for BYU next year... or seriously reconsidering that law school was the path the Lord wanted me to take.

As for me, it looks like UNLV is going to be my best bet. (I really want to do alternative dispute resolution anyhow -- so I'm going from BYU's almost nonexistent program to a top-10 program, so I can't complain... if only it weren't for moving expenses and the fact that even UNLV instate tuition is double BYU's)

YCrevolution

Postby YCrevolution » Tue May 25, 2010 7:20 pm

PigNipple

Postby PigNipple » Tue May 25, 2010 7:33 pm

loquist wrote:Did you come up with that all by yourself or did Mommy help you?

Loquist

C'mon dude, we all know that I have been accepted to BYU, which means that I am down with your "New and Everlasting Covenant" - it's the only way to get into heaven, you know that (D&C 132:4)!! So the correct question, as we Mormons know, is which of your Mommies helped you come up with this?

YCrevolution

Postby YCrevolution » Tue May 25, 2010 7:34 pm

YCrevolution

Postby YCrevolution » Wed May 26, 2010 9:41 am

loquist

Postby loquist » Wed May 26, 2010 12:28 pm

Casper_n wrote:Wow, Bailar, you're willing to leave your husband and family for a year to go to law school? I'm not going to lie -- no educational opportunity would ever be that important to me.

I'd have to agree with Casper. I can't imagine leaving my family for a year to go to law school. I live in Boise and there is no law school here, meaning the plan was always to move to whatever law school I decided to attend. I've had a lot of people seem incredulous that I would move my family for schooling purposes, but there is no way I would be away from my wife and 4 children for a year.

It wouldn't be my choice, but I hope it works out for you Bailar.

Loquist

lawschools7

Postby lawschools7 » Wed May 26, 2010 2:23 pm

I also received the email asking if I wanted to stay on the wait list until orientation week.

mike23

Postby mike23 » Wed May 26, 2010 4:34 pm

For those of us still waiting, does anyone want to share numbers? 3.89/168

bailar4life

Postby bailar4life » Wed May 26, 2010 4:58 pm

actually it wouldn't be for a year it would be for just 4 months. and then we would be together. my husband takes about 3-4 months off work anyways, every year. and then it would be another couple of months apart before i came back up during the summer. so it would be from august until mid november. which is why everyone is telling me to go. but... either way i feel the same. i am not willing to leave the hubby behind. its too hard of a process, but i am not willing to give up either.
all your comments are right on point.

italianp88

Postby italianp88 » Thu May 27, 2010 2:57 pm

mike23 wrote:For those of us still waiting, does anyone want to share numbers? 3.89/168

Wow, those are crazy numbers to have not been accepted in the first place. 157/3.78

steve smitty

Postby steve smitty » Thu Jun 17, 2010 5:34 pm

I heard from the BYU office that now it's strictly a numbers game. It was implied that when someone withdraws, they try to fill their spot with a waitlister who has the same numbers. Which makes sense why they wouldn't rank the waitlist, but it's a weird way of filling spots. And it seems like no one is withdrawing. I wonder if they have to put another deposit down soon? I would guess that the chances are very slim that someone leaves now. Looking back at last year's waitlist forum, the email that we got from BYU asking if we would remain on the waitlist was sent to them sometime in July, whereas we got it weeks ago. That makes me assume that all the seats are full by now and not many are going to leave.

Probably easier for me being single to wait around, but I hate the thought of spending the summer worrying if it will ever happen. It's between Arizona, Utah, and a few CA schools for me.

Anyone still holding out for BYU? Have you heard anything more about our situation? What are your plans?

Mosca

Postby Mosca » Thu Jun 17, 2010 5:39 pm

Last edited by Mosca on Sun Jul 04, 2010 5:24 pm, edited 1 time in total.

steve smitty

Postby steve smitty » Thu Jun 17, 2010 7:40 pm

Mosca wrote:I withdrew today. I hope someone on TLS gets my spot.

Where are you going?

Mosca

Postby Mosca » Thu Jun 17, 2010 7:49 pm

steve smitty wrote:
Mosca wrote:I withdrew today. I hope someone on TLS gets my spot.

Where are you going?

BYUlawlaw

Postby BYUlawlaw » Thu Jul 22, 2010 8:49 am

I am an accepted student, and registration for byu law classes began July 20. I checked this morning (July 22) and only 104 students have registered for 1L classes. So 46 people who are supposed to register have yet to register. I'm sure some people just haven't done it yet, but I know of at least one person who has paid at three schools, one being BYU, and he doesn't plan on attending BYU. Not sure really what any of this means, but I thought someone might be interested.

Jetsetter

Postby Jetsetter » Mon Jul 26, 2010 4:28 am

Thanks for sharing that.. not going to get up any false hope still working towards my plan B but it is still nice to know what is going on. If you hear anything more I hope you will think of us again.

gophuckyourself

Postby gophuckyourself » Mon Jul 26, 2010 3:31 pm

I was on the waitlist last year until the very end. Take it from me, DON'T WAIT AROUND. Just move on as if you aren't even on the list. Then, if you do get that one-in-a-million-chance phone call, you can move back to Provo with the thousands of dollars you will be saving by getting into the Y.

BYU Law admissions is notorious for hanging people out there for as long as possible and then dropping them at the last minute. Please do not be the sucker that I was and fall for it. Just accept your fate and work your butt off your first year and then you can transfer to Utah (they accept a lot of transfers). That's what I did - Utah called and accepted me ONE DAY after our applications to transfer were due. BYU's transfer apps were due nearly SIX WEEKS ago and they still have not made any decisions. I withdrew my application last week because I'm tired of being their little pawn. I don't know what is going on in that office, but they have some major issues they need to work out.

In case you're feeling bad about not graduating from the Y, remember this: While some Mormon law partners look for BYU Law grads, many others avoid them. Ever since the Proposition 8 firestorm, having the Y on your resume (and on the law firm's website) can be a serious problem if a liberal judge sees it. Although incorrectly, many people look at the Prop 8 issue as Mormons vs. Gays. To whom do you think a lesbian or pro-gay judge (of which there are many) is going to give preferential treatment, the attorney that went to U of U or the one that went to "Anti-gay" BYU?

Not going to the Y is probably a blessing in disguise so accept it and stop playing their little games.

justski

Postby justski » Tue Aug 10, 2010 12:36 pm

still waiting...anyone else?

BYUlawlaw

Postby BYUlawlaw » Tue Aug 17, 2010 7:52 pm

I just checked, and there are 3 open spots in my section of 75, and 0 open spots in the other section. So it seems that 147 have registered, but I'm not sure if the class will be 147 or if they will open up three more spots for 150. Tomorrow the Intro to Law (orientation) will begin. We'll see what happens.

BYUlawlaw

Postby BYUlawlaw » Sat Aug 21, 2010 8:52 am

One guy was added off the waitlist on thursday night. I'd imagine there is still a spot or two that will be filled. But possibly those have already been filled. Good luck.

Return to “Law School Acceptances, Denials, and Waitlists”