BYU 2010 Waitlist

Share Your Experiences, Read About Other Experiences. Please keep posts organized by school and expected year of graduation.
davipatr

Re: BYU 2010 Waitlist

Postby davipatr » Sun Apr 04, 2010 10:52 pm

DRPSET wrote:
davipatr wrote:Waitlisted as well. Denied at Utah.

What!? I thought this never happened, it supposed to be the other way around.

I've heard that Utah strategically denies people they feel would accept BYU over them so they don't make pointless offers and tie up money they could offer elsewhere. The way they gauge this is apparently by just denying most people who apply to both schools. Sadly, they apparently assume that any LDS person accepted to both schools would go to BYU every time. It is probably correct, but I genuinely like the school, but whatever.

By the way. loquist, I am totally with you, 007 or whatever he calls himself is a tool. (genuine thanks) yeah, whatever.

When someone is a prick, there is no sense pretending they are not.

loquist

Postby loquist » Mon Apr 05, 2010 11:51 am

davipatr wrote:
DRPSET wrote:

I've heard that Utah strategically denies people they feel would accept BYU over them so they don't make pointless offers and tie up money they could offer elsewhere. The way they gauge this is apparently by just denying most people who apply to both schools. Sadly, they apparently assume that any LDS person accepted to both schools would go to BYU every time. It is probably correct, but I genuinely like the school, but whatever.

By the way. loquist, I am totally with you, 007 or whatever he calls himself is a tool. (genuine thanks) yeah, whatever.

When someone is a prick, there is no sense pretending they are not.

Thanks for the support. :D

I too was dinged at the U. Looking at the graph on LSN their admits, waitlists, and rejections are all over the board. Most schools have a fairly coherent plan in admitting and rejecting, but not the U. I have been wondering why they seem so random in their decision making and the explanation you give is as good as any I've heard.

johnnytall

Postby johnnytall » Mon Apr 05, 2010 12:39 pm

loquist wrote: I too was dinged at the U. Looking at the graph on LSN their admits, waitlists, and rejections are all over the board. Most schools have a fairly coherent plan in admitting and rejecting, but not the U. I have been wondering why they seem so random in their decision making and the explanation you give is as good as any I've heard.

That or BYU waitlists everyone and their dog. I have a couple friends with LSAT scores in the upper-mid 150s and GPA in the 3.6 range and they are also waitlisted at BYU. Utah rejects more people than BYU does because their waitlist isn't for people that they actually intend to reject.

P.S. This thread is just filled with angry rants of people who are frustrated that they did not get into BYU. Chill people.

austrascruff

Postby austrascruff » Mon Apr 05, 2010 10:57 pm

davipatr wrote:Waitlisted as well. Denied at Utah. Looks like I may have to move. I really want to go there, like all of you. Let's hope lots of people withdraw.

Sat in on a class today at the Y and met a guy who was in your same situation and got in off the waitlist last year. There is hope :)

loquist

Postby loquist » Tue Apr 06, 2010 11:21 am

austrascruff wrote:
davipatr wrote:Waitlisted as well. Denied at Utah. Looks like I may have to move. I really want to go there, like all of you. Let's hope lots of people withdraw.

Sat in on a class today at the Y and met a guy who was in your same situation and got in off the waitlist last year. There is hope :)

Did you happen to ask what his numbers were? It would be interesting to note where he was in relation to the 25%-75% ranges.

jcard

Postby jcard » Tue Apr 06, 2010 4:28 pm

Add me to the waitlist. I have already placed my deposit at Cincinnati Law School, anybody else heading their by random chance?

jcard

Postby jcard » Tue Apr 06, 2010 4:30 pm

Rejected at the U of U as well.

austrascruff

Postby austrascruff » Wed Apr 07, 2010 4:04 pm

loquist wrote:
austrascruff wrote:

Did you happen to ask what his numbers were? It would be interesting to note where he was in relation to the 25%-75% ranges.

No I didn't. Sorry.

maclaw2010

Postby maclaw2010 » Wed Apr 07, 2010 7:12 pm

DRPSET wrote:

+1

This happened to me as well.

Malia123

Postby Malia123 » Tue Apr 13, 2010 5:59 pm

Hi, could anyone tell me what it means if your status update page says this:

Current Status: Under Review
Current Status Date: 4/12/2010
Decision Status: Decision rendered
Decision Status Date: 4/12/2010

and it also says a decision letter has been sent out on 4/12/2010, (which was yesterday) and I haven't received a phone call from them yet...does this mean I have been denied? or waitlisted and will get a letter in the mail this week?

Thanks guys

johnnytall

Postby johnnytall » Tue Apr 13, 2010 7:31 pm

Malia123 wrote:Hi, could anyone tell me what it means if your status update page says this:

and it also says a decision letter has been sent out on 4/12/2010, (which was yesterday) and I haven't received a phone call from them yet...does this mean I have been denied? or waitlisted and will get a letter in the mail this week?

Thanks guys

I haven't heard of anyone accepted via letter. Most likely waitlist since everyone and their mother is put on BYU's waitlist...

phenomenon

Postby phenomenon » Wed Apr 14, 2010 10:34 am

Malia123 wrote:Hi, could anyone tell me what it means if your status update page says this:

Thanks guys

It's a wait list. When the CURRENT STATUS says "UNDER REVIEW" and the DECISION STATUS says "DECISION RENDERED" it means they have made the decision at this time to keep you on the waitlist. This has been confirmed by this years and last years forum discussions.

Malia123

Postby Malia123 » Wed Apr 14, 2010 3:35 pm

phenomenon wrote:

Thanks guys

It's a wait list. When the CURRENT STATUS says "UNDER REVIEW" and the DECISION STATUS says "DECISION RENDERED" it means they have made the decision at this time to keep you on the waitlist. This has been confirmed by this years and last years forum discussions.

Well it looks like im probably joining you all on the waitlist then..i live out in Hawai'i though so im just waiting for my letter to get here...sigh. I know it didnt help me to apply late in the cycle..I was on my church mission though. What are you all doing in the mean time?

davipatr

Postby davipatr » Thu Apr 15, 2010 2:57 pm

Malia123 wrote:
phenomenon wrote:

Thanks guys

Well it looks like im probably joining you all on the waitlist then..i live out in Hawai'i though so im just waiting for my letter to get here...sigh. I know it didnt help me to apply late in the cycle..I was on my church mission though. What are you all doing in the mean time?

Not really holding my breath. I have deposited at two other schools and am moving forward with a decsion to attend one of them. If I do not hear from BYU (about coming off the waitlist or being outright denied) by the end of April I will find housing at one of the schools.
The problem with BYU's waitlist is that they keep it all summer long. My brother-in-law was waitlisted at BYU and didn't get a formal letter of denial until after his first week at UNLV. That is unconscionable. They say they don't rank their list, but I don't see how they could not have some idea of who they want to look at as people withdraw. But the waitlist is as big as the admitted list, if not bigger (or so I've heard). I would almost definitely attend if offered admission, but especially in this case there is no point waiting around for that, because odds are a person would wait a long time.

byu85

Postby byu85 » Fri Apr 16, 2010 1:31 pm

DRPSET wrote:

Actually, last year my friend with a 172 LSAT, 2.7 GPA, got accepted to BYU and rejected at Utah (no waitlist at either school). So apparently BYU puts more weight on LSAT and Utah arguably looks more at the whole picture.

Malia123

Postby Malia123 » Fri Apr 16, 2010 7:38 pm

Guys my status online just changed from Under Review/Decision Rendered to Decision Rendered/Decision Rendered but with the same dates...agh. Does this mean what I think it means?

bigbear78

Postby bigbear78 » Tue Apr 20, 2010 4:22 pm

Malia123 wrote:Guys my status online just changed from Under Review/Decision Rendered to Decision Rendered/Decision Rendered but with the same dates...agh. Does this mean what I think it means?

You either got in off the wait list or you are rejected. I hope you get in! good luck!

loquist

Postby loquist » Tue Apr 20, 2010 5:42 pm

Malia123 wrote:Guys my status online just changed from Under Review/Decision Rendered to Decision Rendered/Decision Rendered but with the same dates...agh. Does this mean what I think it means?

My status changed to Decision Rendered as well. I am not hedging any bets on getting in. I'm thinking it's a rejection.

On the bright side, if it is a rejection, we can stop worrying about BYU and start focusing elsewhere. :D

GodFavor2010

Postby GodFavor2010 » Tue Apr 20, 2010 5:45 pm

Since the Waitlist Notification:

How many are Under Review/Decision Rendered? (Latest Status Date:____)

vs.

Decision Rendered/Decision Rendered? (Latest Status Date: _____)

It appears that the latter decision status indicates a final decision has been made. I hope that everyone that's Decision Rendered/Decision Rendered gets in to BYU LAW :D

loquist

Postby loquist » Tue Apr 20, 2010 6:43 pm

I called GaeLynn at the admissions office and asked if she would be willing to give the decision regarding my application over the phone. She looked it up and said nothing has changed and they just updated the statuses.

It could just be a nice way of getting me off the phone without telling me that I was dropped from the waitlist, but at least it calms my nerves a little and I can stop expecting something to happen in the short term.

BYUlawlaw

Postby BYUlawlaw » Sun Apr 25, 2010 9:35 pm

I was accepted in Feb via interview with Dean Hernandez. My numbers are 161 and 3.78 (LSDAS). I was a little different because he interviewed me twice; the first time he didn't offer acceptance, but he did the second time. What I understand as an accepted student is that they have given all of the offers they are going to give by now, and are just waiting to see if enough people do not matriculate to BYU. I know they usually seek to have roughly 150 students in each class, and they offer about 250 each year. I have accepted their offer but my wife did not. A few years ago my brother was WL and found out about 2 weeks after graduation that he was accepted in off of the WL. Deposits were due ten days ago, so BYU Law would have some sort of idea by now how many spots have opened up. I don't want to sound pessimistic, but I don't think very many spots will be opening up this year since the big firms aren't hiring and BYU is so cheap. But who knows. I know that they keep their WL all the way until classes actually commence. So its totally possible to be accepted the day before classes. The WL is exactly what it says it is--a list that you wait on.

123ski

Postby 123ski » Tue May 04, 2010 6:27 pm

I am on the waitlist as well.

Anyone have any idea of how they choose who to accept and who not to accept from the waitlist?

johnnytall

Postby johnnytall » Wed May 05, 2010 11:35 am

123ski wrote:I am on the waitlist as well.

Anyone have any idea of how they choose who to accept and who not to accept from the waitlist?

Same way they decide who gets in and who does not...

Jetsetter

Postby Jetsetter » Sat May 08, 2010 3:26 am

Almost mid-May hopefully we'll start seeing at least a little waitlist movement.

maclaw2010

Postby maclaw2010 » Sat May 08, 2010 3:31 am

Yeah. I was under the impression that we would start hearing by the middle of may.

Return to “Law School Acceptances, Denials, and Waitlists”