US NEWS Rankings 2011?

Share Your Experiences, Read About Other Experiences. Please keep posts organized by school and expected year of graduation.
User avatar
Vincent Vega
Posts: 1182
Joined: Mon Oct 26, 2009 11:36 pm

Re: US NEWS Rankings 2011?

Postby Vincent Vega » Mon Mar 29, 2010 12:48 pm

Rand M. wrote:
sibley wrote:
0L Hoping for 1 wrote:MY guess on T-14

1)Yale
2)Harvard
3)Stanford
4)Columbia
5)Chicago
6) NYU
7) Berkeley
8) Penn
9) Michigan
10) Virginia
11) Duke
12) Northwestern
13) Cornell
14) UT-Austin
15) Georgetown
16) UCLA

Total guesses and mild wishing on the chicago part



I think Cornell's gonna drop. It's an undesirable location, especially for getting jobs during and after (other than that I haven't the faintest)


'Cept Cornell's location didn't really change all that much this year...so... :roll:


Exactly what I was thinking. People frequently take non-variables into account in these prediction threads.

sibley
Posts: 2983
Joined: Wed Mar 04, 2009 2:38 pm

Re: US NEWS Rankings 2011?

Postby sibley » Mon Mar 29, 2010 12:52 pm

Vincent Vega wrote:
Rand M. wrote:
sibley wrote:
0L Hoping for 1 wrote:MY guess on T-14

1)Yale
2)Harvard
3)Stanford
4)Columbia
5)Chicago
6) NYU
7) Berkeley
8) Penn
9) Michigan
10) Virginia
11) Duke
12) Northwestern
13) Cornell
14) UT-Austin
15) Georgetown
16) UCLA

Total guesses and mild wishing on the chicago part



I think Cornell's gonna drop. It's an undesirable location, especially for getting jobs during and after (other than that I haven't the faintest)


'Cept Cornell's location didn't really change all that much this year...so... :roll:


Exactly what I was thinking. People frequently take non-variables into account in these prediction threads.


jobs changed... no jobs in ithaca...

User avatar
Vincent Vega
Posts: 1182
Joined: Mon Oct 26, 2009 11:36 pm

Re: US NEWS Rankings 2011?

Postby Vincent Vega » Mon Mar 29, 2010 12:53 pm

sibley wrote:
Rand M. wrote:
sibley wrote:
0L Hoping for 1 wrote:MY guess on T-14

1)Yale
2)Harvard
3)Stanford
4)Columbia
5)Chicago
6) NYU
7) Berkeley
8) Penn
9) Michigan
10) Virginia
11) Duke
12) Northwestern
13) Cornell
14) UT-Austin
15) Georgetown
16) UCLA

Total guesses and mild wishing on the chicago part



I think Cornell's gonna drop. It's an undesirable location, especially for getting jobs during and after (other than that I haven't the faintest)


'Cept Cornell's location didn't really change all that much this year...so... :roll:


but the job market did...


Cornell's location is better for getting jobs than Michigan is, but you didn't have Mich drop any ranking points. Anyway, Cornell was 3 points higher than GULC in the raw score last year, and there usually isn't that much fluctuation from one year to the next, especially near the top of the rankings. I definitely don't see Cornell dropping any this year.

User avatar
ShibaDan
Posts: 337
Joined: Fri Jun 22, 2007 11:34 am

Re: US NEWS Rankings 2011?

Postby ShibaDan » Mon Mar 29, 2010 12:53 pm

I know it doesn't really matter but since I'll probably be in A2 next year I really hope Michigan stays single digit.

finalaspects
Posts: 1866
Joined: Tue Dec 30, 2008 12:21 am

Re: US NEWS Rankings 2011?

Postby finalaspects » Mon Mar 29, 2010 12:54 pm

Vincent Vega wrote:
sibley wrote:
1)Yale
2)Harvard
3)Stanford
4)Columbia
5)Chicago
6) NYU
7) Berkeley
8) Penn
9) Michigan
10) Virginia
11) Duke
12) Northwestern
13) Cornell
14) UT-Austin
15) Georgetown
16) UCLA

Total guesses and mild wishing on the chicago part


Cornell's location is better for getting jobs than Michigan is, but you didn't have Mich drop any ranking points. Anyway, Cornell was 3 points higher than GULC in the raw score last year, and there usually isn't that much fluctuation from one year to the next, especially near the top of the rankings. I definitely don't see Cornell dropping any this year.


Cornell will most likely stay as they are. Texas will not be in the T14. if anything as i said before UCLA might be tied for 14th with Georgetown. UCLA will be higher than Texas like they have been.

User avatar
Vincent Vega
Posts: 1182
Joined: Mon Oct 26, 2009 11:36 pm

Re: US NEWS Rankings 2011?

Postby Vincent Vega » Mon Mar 29, 2010 12:54 pm

sibley wrote:jobs changed... no jobs in ithaca...


Most Cornell grads weren't getting jobs in Ithaca anyway. Just like most Yale grads aren't in New Haven, nor Harvard in Cambridge, nor Michigan in Ann Arbor, etc.

User avatar
ShibaDan
Posts: 337
Joined: Fri Jun 22, 2007 11:34 am

Re: US NEWS Rankings 2011?

Postby ShibaDan » Mon Mar 29, 2010 12:55 pm

def2104 wrote:I know it doesn't really matter but since I'll probably be in A2 next year I really hope Michigan stays single digit.


Also I know this was posted on here, but I can't find it: Who has the rankings from the past 10 years or so...I know I've seen it.

sibley
Posts: 2983
Joined: Wed Mar 04, 2009 2:38 pm

Re: US NEWS Rankings 2011?

Postby sibley » Mon Mar 29, 2010 12:56 pm

Vincent Vega wrote:
sibley wrote:jobs changed... no jobs in ithaca...


Most Cornell grads weren't getting jobs in Ithaca anyway. Just like most Yale grads aren't in New Haven, nor Harvard in Cambridge, nor Michigan in Ann Arbor, etc.


i just dont see there being intership opportunities or anything

sumus romani
Posts: 565
Joined: Fri Jan 15, 2010 6:04 pm

Re: US NEWS Rankings 2011?

Postby sumus romani » Mon Mar 29, 2010 12:57 pm

I think Cornell's gonna drop. It's an undesirable location, especially for getting jobs during and after (other than that I haven't the faintest)[/quote]

'Cept Cornell's location didn't really change all that much this year...so... :roll:[/quote]

Exactly what I was thinking. People frequently take non-variables into account in these prediction threads.[/quote]

jobs changed... no jobs in ithaca...[/quote]

Not to defend the poster's position about location too much, but if what people desire in law school changes over time, then a location can indeed become a negative factor. Now, have people's desires about locations for professional schools changed over the past 15 years or so (desire to live in big city vs. college town)? I suspect it, but I most certainly don't know.

09042014
Posts: 18282
Joined: Wed Oct 14, 2009 10:47 pm

Re: US NEWS Rankings 2011?

Postby 09042014 » Mon Mar 29, 2010 12:58 pm

Location and quality of jobs isn't even a factor.

dakatz
Posts: 2460
Joined: Sat Mar 29, 2008 4:19 pm

Re: US NEWS Rankings 2011?

Postby dakatz » Mon Mar 29, 2010 1:00 pm

sibley wrote:
Vincent Vega wrote:
sibley wrote:jobs changed... no jobs in ithaca...


Most Cornell grads weren't getting jobs in Ithaca anyway. Just like most Yale grads aren't in New Haven, nor Harvard in Cambridge, nor Michigan in Ann Arbor, etc.


i just dont see there being intership opportunities or anything


Again, what makes you think the internships are in Ithaca either? They have the biggest legal market in the world just a few hours drive away. Thats where the jobs/internships are

User avatar
FunkyJD
Posts: 1039
Joined: Tue Dec 22, 2009 3:38 pm

Re: US NEWS Rankings 2011?

Postby FunkyJD » Mon Mar 29, 2010 1:00 pm

If Cornell's going to drop because it's in Ithaca, then how is UT-Austin going to jump Georgetown when the DC market >>>> the Austin market?

Regardless ... as much as I love UT, no way it jumps Georgetown in the rankings.

User avatar
DoubleChecks
Posts: 2333
Joined: Fri Sep 25, 2009 4:35 pm

Re: US NEWS Rankings 2011?

Postby DoubleChecks » Mon Mar 29, 2010 1:01 pm

finalaspects wrote:Texas will not be in the T14. if anything as i said before UCLA might be tied for 14th with Georgetown. UCLA will be higher than Texas like they have been.


um, why? lol

sibley
Posts: 2983
Joined: Wed Mar 04, 2009 2:38 pm

Re: US NEWS Rankings 2011?

Postby sibley » Mon Mar 29, 2010 1:01 pm

dakatz wrote:
sibley wrote:
Vincent Vega wrote:
sibley wrote:jobs changed... no jobs in ithaca...


Most Cornell grads weren't getting jobs in Ithaca anyway. Just like most Yale grads aren't in New Haven, nor Harvard in Cambridge, nor Michigan in Ann Arbor, etc.


i just dont see there being intership opportunities or anything


Again, what makes you think the internships are in Ithaca either? They have the biggest legal market in the world just a few hours drive away. Thats where the jobs/internships are


I've lived in Ithaca. Anyone who expects to do a mid-year internship and commute to NYC is absolutely nuts. it's a 4+ hour drive. And there are no busses that go directly between the two.

User avatar
Rand M.
Posts: 1033
Joined: Fri Aug 07, 2009 8:24 am

Re: US NEWS Rankings 2011?

Postby Rand M. » Mon Mar 29, 2010 1:04 pm

def2104 wrote:
def2104 wrote:I know it doesn't really matter but since I'll probably be in A2 next year I really hope Michigan stays single digit.


Also I know this was posted on here, but I can't find it: Who has the rankings from the past 10 years or so...I know I've seen it.


viewtopic.php?f=1&t=83222


sibley wrote:
dakatz wrote:
sibley wrote:
Vincent Vega wrote:Most Cornell grads weren't getting jobs in Ithaca anyway. Just like most Yale grads aren't in New Haven, nor Harvard in Cambridge, nor Michigan in Ann Arbor, etc.


i just dont see there being intership opportunities or anything


Again, what makes you think the internships are in Ithaca either? They have the biggest legal market in the world just a few hours drive away. Thats where the jobs/internships are


dude. I've lived in Ithaca. Anyone who expects to do a mid-year internship and commute to NYC is absolutely nuts. it's a 4+ hour drive. And there are no busses that go directly between the two.


You wouldn't commute; Jesus H. Christ. Why am I bothering discussing this with you? Nvm, I'm not.

AllBusiness
Posts: 64
Joined: Wed Sep 09, 2009 10:24 pm

Re: US NEWS Rankings 2011?

Postby AllBusiness » Mon Mar 29, 2010 1:04 pm

I would be glad to see GW jump up several spots. I am considering putting my deposit in there.

Question: Why are the top-fourteen-ranked schools considered especially prestigious? What is it about the top fourteen spots, as opposed to the top twelve, thirteen, fifteen, or sixteen spots? It seems to me that it should depend on the particular institutions, and not some arbitrary number of rankings.

I ask this question because, really, what is the big deal if Georgetown drops to 15, or if Texas or UCLA climbs to 14?
Last edited by AllBusiness on Mon Mar 29, 2010 1:06 pm, edited 1 time in total.

User avatar
Tweek
Posts: 60
Joined: Tue Feb 23, 2010 1:34 am

Re: US NEWS Rankings 2011?

Postby Tweek » Mon Mar 29, 2010 1:05 pm

Ithaca sucks, that's a given (I was Cornell UG). However, people (me included) don't seem to mind too much:

http://www.news.cornell.edu/stories/Feb10/LawApplications.html

User avatar
Vincent Vega
Posts: 1182
Joined: Mon Oct 26, 2009 11:36 pm

Re: US NEWS Rankings 2011?

Postby Vincent Vega » Mon Mar 29, 2010 1:07 pm

sibley wrote:I've lived in Ithaca. Anyone who expects to do a mid-year internship and commute to NYC is absolutely nuts. it's a 4+ hour drive. And there are no busses that go directly between the two.


Shit, then do a damn clinic or something.

sibley
Posts: 2983
Joined: Wed Mar 04, 2009 2:38 pm

Re: US NEWS Rankings 2011?

Postby sibley » Mon Mar 29, 2010 1:09 pm

Vincent Vega wrote:
sibley wrote:I've lived in Ithaca. Anyone who expects to do a mid-year internship and commute to NYC is absolutely nuts. it's a 4+ hour drive. And there are no busses that go directly between the two.


Shit, then do a damn clinic or something.


that's what I'm saying. that's about your only option.. . you can't get any other hands-on experience. and there are like 12 people in Ithaca when you take away the schools. who do they clinic for? each other?

User avatar
Vincent Vega
Posts: 1182
Joined: Mon Oct 26, 2009 11:36 pm

Re: US NEWS Rankings 2011?

Postby Vincent Vega » Mon Mar 29, 2010 1:10 pm

AllBusiness wrote:I would be glad to see GW jump up several spots. I am considering putting my deposit in there.

Question: Why are the top-fourteen-ranked schools considered especially prestigious? What is it about the top fourteen spots, as opposed to the top twelve, thirteen, fifteen, or sixteen spots? It seems to me that it should depend on the particular institutions, and not some arbitrary number of rankings.

I ask this question because, really, what is the big deal if Georgetown drops to 15, or if Texas or UCLA climbs to 14?


The current top 14 schools have pretty much always been ranked in the top 14, just not always in the same order, obviously. The reason it would be newsworthy is that it would mark a major, unprecedented shift in the top of the rankings. People have been predicting GULC and even Cornell to drop out of the T14 in recent years, but so far neither has come to fruition.

User avatar
SaintClarence27
Posts: 700
Joined: Wed Jun 10, 2009 8:48 am

Re: US NEWS Rankings 2011?

Postby SaintClarence27 » Mon Mar 29, 2010 1:11 pm

.
Last edited by SaintClarence27 on Wed Jun 30, 2010 10:40 pm, edited 1 time in total.

sibley
Posts: 2983
Joined: Wed Mar 04, 2009 2:38 pm

Re: US NEWS Rankings 2011?

Postby sibley » Mon Mar 29, 2010 1:12 pm

SaintClarence27 wrote:And not that this would affect the rankings, but what about LS applicants who would be bringing along their spouses/significant others? It's going to be difficult to convince the g/f to go someplace and take a 60% pay cut - if she can find a job.


yeah! see!

sibley <3 saint c 4ever

User avatar
FunkyJD
Posts: 1039
Joined: Tue Dec 22, 2009 3:38 pm

Re: US NEWS Rankings 2011?

Postby FunkyJD » Mon Mar 29, 2010 1:13 pm

AllBusiness wrote:I ask this question because, really, what is the big deal if Georgetown drops to 15, or if Texas or UCLA climbs to 14?

Georgetown could drop to 25 and I would still take it over Texas. Unbeatable location, great Article III clerkship placement, great alumni, excellent job prospects in one of the hottest legal markets in the country. Better than UT on all accounts (though Texas has some pretty decent alumni, too).

User avatar
Vincent Vega
Posts: 1182
Joined: Mon Oct 26, 2009 11:36 pm

Re: US NEWS Rankings 2011?

Postby Vincent Vega » Mon Mar 29, 2010 1:15 pm

Each location has its ups and downs. I've lived in a decent-sized metropolitan area (~1.5 million) for my four years of UG and I'm definitely ready for a little college town.

User avatar
TheIdiot
Posts: 45
Joined: Tue Aug 05, 2008 6:47 pm

Re: US NEWS Rankings 2011?

Postby TheIdiot » Mon Mar 29, 2010 5:43 pm

FunkyJD wrote:
AllBusiness wrote:I ask this question because, really, what is the big deal if Georgetown drops to 15, or if Texas or UCLA climbs to 14?

Georgetown could drop to 25 and I would still take it over Texas. Unbeatable location, great Article III clerkship placement, great alumni, excellent job prospects in one of the hottest legal markets in the country. Better than UT on all accounts (though Texas has some pretty decent alumni, too).


Texas actually outplaces GULC in Article III clerkships. Although partly subjective, I'll let you have the rest [but I'll still take Austin].




Return to “Law School Acceptances, Denials, and Waitlists”

Who is online

Users browsing this forum: Cowgirl, Doesthenamematter, Exabot [Bot], joezze, liuwenyu, rizzlebizness, xnsch and 12 guests