US NEWS Rankings 2011?

Share Your Experiences, Read About Other Experiences. Please keep posts organized by school and expected year of graduation.
Pearalegal

Re: US NEWS Rankings 2011?

Postby Pearalegal » Tue Apr 06, 2010 1:25 pm

Desert Fox wrote:No, I really don't. Do you have hiring stats to back your claim up?

Lol, no. Do you have the stats to refute it (and I'd actually be really, really interested in seeing those if you do)? And I'm not going to look for them.

All I really have is what associates who interview at OCI and hiring partners discuss with me as I make my decision about law school. But I know from partners that they think of WashU in a different way than they did years ago.

I'm always curious how you know so much about legal hiring.

Stringer Bell

Postby Stringer Bell » Tue Apr 06, 2010 1:35 pm

Desert Fox wrote:
Pearalegal wrote:To clarify, heres what I mean:

Boston University-

2000: 32
2010: 20

Emory-

2000: 26
2010: 20

Washington and Lee-

2000: 20
2010: 30

The rankings over the past 10 years in the T25 have mostly stayed consistent, but there have been some big changes. You think hiring committees don't pay attention to that?

No, I really don't. Do you have hiring stats to back your claim up?

I'm mostly with you on this, but a school improving it's reputation can definitely improve the marketability of their grads. Look at NU. It's very obvious that employers are increasing the value they place regarding the type of student they are admitting. However, I'm of the opinion that a school moving from 32 to 26 is not even remotely of the same magnitude as a school deciding to place an emphasis on admitting splitters with work experience. It actually probably has little to no bearing.

Pearalegal

Postby Pearalegal » Tue Apr 06, 2010 1:39 pm

Stringer Bell wrote:
I'm mostly with you on this, but a school improving it's reputation can definitely improve the marketability of their grads. Look at NU. It's very obvious that employers are increasing the value they place regarding the type of student they are admitting. However, I'm of the opinion that a school moving from 32 to 26 is not even remotely of the same magnitude as a school deciding to place an emphasis on admitting splitters with work experience. It actually probably has little to no bearing.

I completely agree with you on this. I'm not trying to suggest that attys down with the legal hiring are watching the rankings with their hearts in their throats, but if a school is doing something that brings it consistently higher in the rankings, people aren't just going to ignore that. They'll ask why, and if the answer has any merit, I believe they'll look closer at that schools' grads.

Of course, maybe Desert Fox is going to show up soon and smack some statistics on me...but this is what I've been told and advised by people in the legal world who have no reason to lie to me.

Postby 09042014 » Tue Apr 06, 2010 1:40 pm

Stringer Bell wrote:I'm mostly with you on this, but a school improving it's reputation can definitely improve the marketability of their grads. Look at NU. It's very obvious that employers are increasing the value they place regarding the type of student they are admitting. However, I'm of the opinion that a school moving from 32 to 26 is not even remotely of the same magnitude as a school deciding to place an emphasis on admitting splitters with work experience. It actually probably has little to no bearing.

I'm not saying a school can't improve its reputation. But I think USNWR rankings are a lagging indicator of reputation, not a leading indicator, and definitely not a cause of the increase in reputation.

And once you get down to regional schools, national rep means very little anyway.

I think there are much better ways to determine what these posters are looking for. USNWR can be misleading, and can be manipulated. Indiana shot up ten spots based on its spending habits.

Pearalegal

Postby Pearalegal » Tue Apr 06, 2010 1:46 pm

Desert Fox wrote:I'm not saying a school can't improve its reputation. But I think USNWR rankings are a lagging indicator of reputation, not a leading indicator, and definitely not a cause of the increase in reputation.

And once you get down to regional schools, national rep means very little anyway.

I think there are much better ways to determine what these posters are looking for. USNWR can be misleading, and can be manipulated. Indiana shot up ten spots based on its spending habits.

Certainly, I don't think anyone at all was arguing any such thing. But its still an understandable interest, to most people anyways. Obviously not to you.

I wasn't arguing that an increase in ranking is a cause for an increase in reputation, obviously. But there will be a reason that a school rises in the rankings, even if its just for money and even if its just completely unimportant. Everyone in legal hiring is able to tell the difference between legit trends and non-legit. Mostly because they're looking at a lot more data than a copy of US News, haha.

sibley

Postby sibley » Wed Apr 07, 2010 1:32 pm

Pearalegal wrote:
Desert Fox wrote:I'm not saying a school can't improve its reputation. But I think USNWR rankings are a lagging indicator of reputation, not a leading indicator, and definitely not a cause of the increase in reputation.

Certainly, I don't think anyone at all was arguing any such thing. But its still an understandable interest, to most people anyways. Obviously not to you.

I wasn't arguing that an increase in ranking is a cause for an increase in reputation, obviously. But there will be a reason that a school rises in the rankings, even if its just for money and even if its just completely unimportant. Everyone in legal hiring is able to tell the difference between legit trends and non-legit. Mostly because they're looking at a lot more data than a copy of US News, haha.

yeah looks like gw dropped 6 points in just one year...
NEXT WEEK + 1 day... yay =D

sibley

Postby sibley » Fri Apr 09, 2010 6:37 am

just went into airport newsstand. found us news best colleges for this year. freaked out. was crushed when it didnt include law rankings.

Clair1331

Postby Clair1331 » Fri Apr 09, 2010 11:57 am

[quote="sibley"]just went into airport newsstand. found us news best colleges for this year. freaked out. was crushed when it didnt include law rankings.[/quote]

I keep wishing these would leak. They leaked by now last year right?

Bert

Postby Bert » Fri Apr 09, 2010 12:00 pm

sibley wrote:just went into airport newsstand. found us news best colleges for this year. freaked out. was crushed when it didnt include law rankings.

I have been religiously searching for the USNWR grad school one, and have been harassing the newstand guys around me for it.

T14_Scholly

Postby T14_Scholly » Fri Apr 09, 2010 12:28 pm

My fate hangs in the balance of this year's rankings. My heart is racing and I'm sweating right now.

OperaSoprano

Postby OperaSoprano » Fri Apr 09, 2010 12:34 pm

Clair1331 wrote:
sibley wrote:just went into airport newsstand. found us news best colleges for this year. freaked out. was crushed when it didnt include law rankings.

I keep wishing these would leak. They leaked by now last year right?

Patience, kids. Seriously. They leaked two weeks after this date, a week past the time most people's seat deposits were due. If the print copy is not released concurrently, we won't see a leak for a few days at least. We managed to wait, and so will you. :lol:

Notor

Postby Notor » Fri Apr 09, 2010 1:04 pm

This is pathetic

BuckNuts

Postby BuckNuts » Fri Apr 09, 2010 1:50 pm

Notor wrote:This is pathetic

+1. Absolutely pathetic.

JOThompson

Postby JOThompson » Fri Apr 09, 2010 1:54 pm

T14_Scholly wrote:My fate hangs in the balance of this year's rankings. My heart is racing and I'm sweating right now.

We can't all attend T14s with phat scholarships.

T14_Scholly

Postby T14_Scholly » Mon Apr 12, 2010 1:27 pm

JOThompson wrote:
T14_Scholly wrote:My fate hangs in the balance of this year's rankings. My heart is racing and I'm sweating right now.

We can't all attend T14s with phat scholarships.

I'm not actually getting a phat T14 scholly, I'm just making fun of other TLSers.

sibley

Postby sibley » Mon Apr 12, 2010 3:15 pm

BuckNuts wrote:
Notor wrote:This is pathetic

+1. Absolutely pathetic.

absolutely.
now, rankings please????? I can't possibly wait until Thursday.

SAE

Postby SAE » Mon Apr 12, 2010 3:19 pm

Has it been confirmed that they are coming out online first on 4/15 and only then in print?

arhmcpo

Postby arhmcpo » Mon Apr 12, 2010 3:22 pm

yes it has; think its on the US news site

tintin

Postby tintin » Mon Apr 12, 2010 3:26 pm

omg im so excited

so pathetic...

SAE

Postby SAE » Mon Apr 12, 2010 3:30 pm

I feel LSAT score release-type hysteria coming up on TLS.. Anyone wanna start an "official" waiting thread?

SAE

Postby SAE » Mon Apr 12, 2010 3:33 pm

:mrgreen: :mrgreen: :mrgreen: they have a countdown clock going on the website:

http://grad-schools.usnews.rankingsandr ... te-schools

Looks like they come out exactly at midnight on April 15th.

webbylu87

Postby webbylu87 » Mon Apr 12, 2010 3:34 pm

SAE wrote::mrgreen: :mrgreen: :mrgreen: they have a countdown clock going on the website:

i mean i'm intrigued to see them as much as the next person, but a countdown clock? really?

SAE

Postby SAE » Mon Apr 12, 2010 3:38 pm

webbylu87 wrote:i mean i'm intrigued to see them as much as the next person, but a countdown clock? really?

Best part - it's sponsored by Grand Canyon University. I have a feeling they will be cracking the t14 this year.

Dignan

Postby Dignan » Mon Apr 12, 2010 3:38 pm

webbylu87 wrote:
SAE wrote::mrgreen: :mrgreen: :mrgreen: they have a countdown clock going on the website:

i mean i'm intrigued to see them as much as the next person, but a countdown clock? really?

Wow. The USNWR editors advise people to keep the rankings in perspective. It looks like they need to follow their own advice.

sibley

Postby sibley » Mon Apr 12, 2010 3:53 pm

Dignan wrote:
webbylu87 wrote:

Wow. The USNWR editors advise people to keep the rankings in perspective. It looks like they need to follow their own advice.

eh it's just an ad

Return to “Law School Acceptances, Denials, and Waitlists”