US NEWS Rankings 2011?

Share Your Experiences, Read About Other Experiences. Please keep posts organized by school and expected year of graduation.
sibley

Re: US NEWS Rankings 2011?

Postby sibley » Tue Apr 06, 2010 12:32 pm

JOThompson wrote:
Desert Fox wrote:
webbylu87 wrote:Does anyone have any idea what time the rankings will come out on the 15th? I have a seat deposit that needs to be postmarked on the 15th and I'd be interested in seeing how the rankings pan out before I send that in.

Why would you possibly do that?

I can see the value in that, especially when you're considering schools that have steadily slipped over the years. If the rate of decrease suddenly intensifies, I'd be justly worried (Iowa).

Yep. Or if you have a hunch about a school and you want to see if the rankings fit your expectations by changing/staying the same.

webbylu87

Postby webbylu87 » Tue Apr 06, 2010 12:34 pm

sibley wrote:Yep. Or if you have a hunch about a school and you want to see if the rankings fit your expectations by changing/staying the same.

and

JOThompson wrote:I can see the value in that, especially when you're considering schools that have steadily slipped over the years. If the rate of decrease suddenly intensifies, I'd be justly worried (Iowa).

Definitely. Thank you. These are my exact thoughts.

Anywaysssss, my question stands: does anyone have any idea what times the rankings will be released on the 15th?

kissy

Postby kissy » Tue Apr 06, 2010 12:35 pm

1:80

sibley

Postby sibley » Tue Apr 06, 2010 12:36 pm

webbylu87 wrote:
sibley wrote:Yep. Or if you have a hunch about a school and you want to see if the rankings fit your expectations by changing/staying the same.

and

JOThompson wrote:I can see the value in that, especially when you're considering schools that have steadily slipped over the years. If the rate of decrease suddenly intensifies, I'd be justly worried (Iowa).

Definitely. Thank you. These are my exact thoughts.

Anywaysssss, my question stands: does anyone have any idea what times the rankings will be released on the 15th?

not a clue. but your best bet is probably to go around asking newstands if they happen to have the may edition in the bank somewhere, right? bc those things come out a month ahead of time anyway...

T14_Scholly

Postby T14_Scholly » Tue Apr 06, 2010 12:36 pm

sibley wrote:
JOThompson wrote:
Desert Fox wrote:
webbylu87 wrote:Does anyone have any idea what time the rankings will come out on the 15th? I have a seat deposit that needs to be postmarked on the 15th and I'd be interested in seeing how the rankings pan out before I send that in.

I can see the value in that, especially when you're considering schools that have steadily slipped over the years. If the rate of decrease suddenly intensifies, I'd be justly worried (Iowa).

Yep. Or if you have a hunch about a school and you want to see if the rankings fit your expectations by changing/staying the same.

No. It's a retarded idea, for obvious reasons.

sibley

Postby sibley » Tue Apr 06, 2010 12:38 pm

T14_Scholly wrote:
sibley wrote:
JOThompson wrote:
Desert Fox wrote:Why would you possibly do that?

No. It's a retarded idea, for obvious reasons.

it's obviously not an end-all thing. but if you're interested in economic influences and if you just need a little more emotional decisiveness it's a good resource.

Postby 09042014 » Tue Apr 06, 2010 12:38 pm

The people who do legal hiring don't care about Iowa losing two spots, or Fordham gaining back what they lost.

Making your choice based on that is retarded like t14S said.

sibley

Postby sibley » Tue Apr 06, 2010 12:39 pm

Desert Fox wrote:The people who do legal hiring don't care about Iowa losing two spots, or Fordham gaining back what they lost.

it's not BASED on. it's a soft factor. like "oh gee they have delicious food"

JOThompson

Postby JOThompson » Tue Apr 06, 2010 12:40 pm

T14_Scholly wrote:No. It's a retarded idea, for obvious reasons.

No one is claiming that rankings are the *only* factor when choosing a school, but it's absolutely reasonable to consider the long range trajectory of the school before committing. Also keep in mind that rankings tend to lag behind the actual reputation of a school, so being armed with the most recent (but perhaps still old) info is only going to be an advantage come decision time.

webbylu87

Postby webbylu87 » Tue Apr 06, 2010 12:40 pm

Desert Fox wrote:The people who do legal hiring don't care about Iowa losing two spots, or Fordham gaining back what they lost.

Apparently I'm making a decision based purely on rankings? Did I ever say that? I merely said I'd be curious at looking at the new rankings before mailing in a deposit. I never said it would or would not make my decision.

JOThompson

Postby JOThompson » Tue Apr 06, 2010 12:41 pm

I agree that a couple spot slip won't affect the job outcomes for the class of 2013. A larger drop might reflect other issues that school is having, however.

Postby 09042014 » Tue Apr 06, 2010 12:42 pm

sibley wrote:

it's not BASED on. it's a soft factor. like "oh gee they have delicious food"

No it isn't even a soft factor.

USNWR just reflects the prestige the schools already have.

Pearalegal

Postby Pearalegal » Tue Apr 06, 2010 12:42 pm

But the people who are choosing schools for current programs which are reflected in current trends...they might have some interest in seeing if a school that has been on the rise lately continues.

Besides that, while most hiring partners do rely on tired and true schools, when a school who is rising in the rankings and can fights to attract more firms to OCI as a result...its not like the associates walking in to do the hiring cross their eyes and don't consider the prospectives who walk in. Its not for show.

Postby 09042014 » Tue Apr 06, 2010 12:42 pm

JOThompson wrote:

I agree that a couple spot slip won't affect the job outcomes for the class of 2013. A larger drop might reflect other issues that school is having, however.

If you look at the methodology you'll see why that just isn't true.

T14_Scholly

Postby T14_Scholly » Tue Apr 06, 2010 12:44 pm

webbylu87 wrote:

I never said it would or would not make my decision.

There's an implication when you say you want to wait to see the rankings before mailing your deposit.

T14_Scholly

Postby T14_Scholly » Tue Apr 06, 2010 12:46 pm

Pearalegal wrote:

they might have some interest in seeing if a school that has been on the rise lately continues.

[/quote]

No, because they're not dumb enough to think that a slight rankings increase equates to being "on the rise."

Reedie

Postby Reedie » Tue Apr 06, 2010 12:46 pm

Desert Fox wrote:
JOThompson wrote:I agree that a couple spot slip won't affect the job outcomes for the class of 2013. A larger drop might reflect other issues that school is having, however.

If you look at the methodology you'll see why that just isn't true.

I think with the "might" qualifier that's a fair statement. I think a better indicator would probably be consistent improvement or decline over a number of years (e.g. NYU has clearly improved its law school relative to its peers over the last two decades).

JOThompson

Postby JOThompson » Tue Apr 06, 2010 12:46 pm

T14_Scholly wrote:
webbylu87 wrote:

There's an implication when you say you want to wait to see the rankings before mailing your deposit.

Bad inference. It could be one of a dozen factors in her decision.

sibley

Postby sibley » Tue Apr 06, 2010 12:46 pm

ok, whatever. the fact of the matter is some of us are very interested in seeing the new rankings. we've been very logical going through this process and won't let one possibly outlying statistic change our decision. we just want a little more knowledge before we make our final choice.

FunkyJD

Postby FunkyJD » Tue Apr 06, 2010 12:47 pm

JOThompson wrote:
Desert Fox wrote:

Which school is going to fall so far as to possibly affect your decision? And how far of a drop would influence your decision?

Postby 09042014 » Tue Apr 06, 2010 12:48 pm

sibley wrote:ok, whatever. the fact of the matter is some of us are very interested in seeing the new rankings. we've been very logical going through this process and won't let one possibly outlying statistic change our decision. we just want a little more knowledge before we make our final choice.

You should be more interesting in data that actually matters. Like how well there OCI went last year. Instead of a list with a methodology a dumb magazine put in place to tell us what everyone already knew.

T14_Scholly

Postby T14_Scholly » Tue Apr 06, 2010 12:49 pm

JOThompson wrote:
T14_Scholly wrote:
webbylu87 wrote:

Bad inference. It could be one of a dozen factors in her decision.

Suppose the school's rank drops and he/she decides not to go there at the last minute (this is the only reason he/she could possibly want to wait to see the rankings). I'd call that "making" the decision.

nol607

Postby nol607 » Tue Apr 06, 2010 12:50 pm

Alright here's one. If the three way tie at 30 broke against W&L, I would definitely be concerned.

dudester

Postby dudester » Tue Apr 06, 2010 12:50 pm

FunkyJD wrote:
JOThompson wrote:
Desert Fox wrote:

Which school is going to fall so far as to possibly affect your decision? And how far of a drop would influence your decision?

UVA

webbylu87

Postby webbylu87 » Tue Apr 06, 2010 12:51 pm

sibley wrote:ok, whatever. the fact of the matter is some of us are very interested in seeing the new rankings. we've been very logical going through this process and won't let one possibly outlying statistic change our decision. we just want a little more knowledge before we make our final choice.

Exactly. I don't think this is an unreasonable concern.

Return to “Law School Acceptances, Denials, and Waitlists”