US NEWS Rankings 2011? Forum

Share Your Experiences, Read About Other Experiences. Please keep posts organized by school and expected year of graduation.
MichelledeMontaigne

New

Re: US NEWS Rankings 2011?

Post by MichelledeMontaigne » Mon Mar 29, 2010 5:49 pm

U.S News rankings is crap. Seriously they have a bunch of arbitrary categories that miss a lot of important things. I say rank your schools according to what you want, not what the USNWR dumbasses are saying.

romothesavior

Diamond

Post by romothesavior » Mon Mar 29, 2010 5:50 pm

MichelledeMontaigne wrote:U.S News rankings is crap. Seriously they have a bunch of arbitrary categories that miss a lot of important things. I say rank your schools according to what you want, not what the USNWR dumbasses are saying.
I want a job. Jobs seem to correlate pretty strongly with the rankings.

HTH

rando

Silver

Post by rando » Mon Mar 29, 2010 5:51 pm

romothesavior wrote:
MichelledeMontaigne wrote:U.S News rankings is crap. Seriously they have a bunch of arbitrary categories that miss a lot of important things. I say rank your schools according to what you want, not what the USNWR dumbasses are saying.
I want a job.
Totally irrelevant.

danidancer

Silver

Post by danidancer » Mon Mar 29, 2010 5:55 pm

Yes and no. I think the yearly fluctuations are pretty much irrelevant, but overarching things that places a school within certain bands (ie T14, T20, T30, etc) year in and year out, that's where the rankings have a value for both students and employers.

Diamond

Post by 09042014 » Mon Mar 29, 2010 5:59 pm

romothesavior wrote:
I want a job. Jobs seem to correlate pretty strongly with the rankings.

HTH
Only within in the t14 and then only because the methodology was constructed to fit whatever already knew.

Indiana doesn't place better than Fordham. And neither does Minnesota.

Want to continue reading?

Register now to search topics and post comments!

Absolutely FREE!

Richie Tenenbaum

Gold

Post by Richie Tenenbaum » Mon Mar 29, 2010 6:01 pm

Deciding schools based on the most recent changes in the rankings is just silly. A few years is something to take note of. One year is not. Do ppl say CCNB (or CCB when Berkeley knocked Chicago out of the T6)? No. And GW and Fordham are still considered 2 of the top schools in the 20-30 range. Schools moving around a few spots means very little in the long run.

notme

New

Post by notme » Tue Mar 30, 2010 6:07 pm

If any school can get USNWR to consider a change from their current t-14 mind set it will be UCLA.

Dr. Strangelove

Silver

Post by Dr. Strangelove » Tue Mar 30, 2010 6:13 pm

This is fun!
My own prediction... :twisted:

1.) Yale
2.) Harvard
3.) Stanford
4.) Columbia
5.) NYU
5.) Chicago
5.) UC-Berkeley
8.) Penn
9.) Michigan
9.) UVA
11.) Duke
11.) Northwestern
13.) Cornell
14.) Georgetown
14.) UCLA
16.) UT-Austin
16.) Vanderbilt
18.) USC
19.) Wash U
19.) Emory

I think UCLA can definitely tie with Georgetown.
Also imagine how much that'd benefit UCLA... it'll stop all of those UNSWR literalists from saying GEORGETOWN IS MILLION TIMES BETTER THAN UCLA CUZ IT IS HIGHER RANKED LOL!!!

imisscollege

Bronze

Post by imisscollege » Tue Mar 30, 2010 6:30 pm

Richie Tenenbaum wrote:Deciding schools based on the most recent changes in the rankings is just silly. A few years is something to take note of. One year is not. Do ppl say CCNB (or CCB when Berkeley knocked Chicago out of the T6)? No. And GW and Fordham are still considered 2 of the top schools in the 20-30 range. Schools moving around a few spots means very little in the long run.
+1 and BC!?!?

Want to continue reading?

Register for access!

Did I mention it was FREE ?

Vincent Vega

Silver

Post by Vincent Vega » Tue Mar 30, 2010 6:34 pm

Dr. Strangelove wrote:
I think UCLA can definitely tie with Georgetown.
Also imagine how much that'd benefit UCLA... it'll stop all of those UNSWR literalists from saying GEORGETOWN IS MILLION TIMES BETTER THAN UCLA CUZ IT IS HIGHER RANKED LOL!!!
If UCLA and not Texas is the one to supplant GULC, it will certainly drop back down in a couple years anyway. The rising tuition is going to detract a lot of in-staters from ending up there.

Richie Tenenbaum

Gold

Post by Richie Tenenbaum » Tue Mar 30, 2010 7:27 pm

imisscollege wrote:
Richie Tenenbaum wrote:Deciding schools based on the most recent changes in the rankings is just silly. A few years is something to take note of. One year is not. Do ppl say CCNB (or CCB when Berkeley knocked Chicago out of the T6)? No. And GW and Fordham are still considered 2 of the top schools in the 20-30 range. Schools moving around a few spots means very little in the long run.
+1 and BC!?!?
...is a strong regional T30 school for someone interested in practicing in or around Boston. Just like BU. Whether a school is 22 or 29 should matter very little in this range. They're strong regional schools. Sure the difference between 5 and 12 is pretty big; so would be 11 and 18. After you get outside the T14 and then the T18 distinction, a few places don't really matter. And once again, one year is not that significant.

plex

New

Post by plex » Sun Apr 04, 2010 11:01 pm

The amount of ABA law schools go up from 199 to 209 starting next year, who thinks there will be a tier 5?

84Sunbird2000

Silver

Post by 84Sunbird2000 » Sun Apr 04, 2010 11:05 pm

I posted this in the Emory thread, but employment at graduation is a factor in the USNWR, and they had only 84% employed after 9 months (no, that's not at graduation...legitimately 84% after 9 months). I'm guessing they'll drop to about 25.

Register now!

Resources to assist law school applicants, students & graduates.

It's still FREE!

MF248

Bronze

Post by MF248 » Sun Apr 04, 2010 11:07 pm

plex wrote:The amount of ABA law schools go up from 199 to 209 starting next year, who thinks there will be a tier 5?
There is already a tier 5. It's commonly called business school.

Cupidity

Gold

Post by Cupidity » Sun Apr 04, 2010 11:13 pm

I'm more interested in the 15-30 range. My guess is that schools with deep pockets like Emory, Boston University and UIUC will move up as students opt to take less debt over rank ITE. GWU will post massive gains after being slammed by PT last year. State schools will fall because of funding cuts. Texas gets hit in peer scores and drops a rank after the article on ATL regarding their lack of a legal writing course. USC to gain on the hits taken to the UC system, don't think UCLA will fall though.

15. UCLA
15. Vanderbilt
17. USC
18. Texas
19. BU
19. Emory
19. UMinn
22. WUSTL
22. UIUC
24. Boston College
25. GWU
26. Notre Dame
27. Indiana
27. Iowa
29. Fordham
30. William and Mary

NU_Jet55

Silver

Post by NU_Jet55 » Sun Apr 04, 2010 11:14 pm

rando wrote:
romothesavior wrote:
I want a job.
Totally irrelevant.
Every 3L I know (graduating from schools placed throughout the rankings) going to work for a firm has told me they can't stress the importance of the rankings enough. The rankings may be bullshit, but clients care, TF firms care, TF you should care, if you want to work for a firm at least.

SaintClarence27

Silver

Post by SaintClarence27 » Sun Apr 04, 2010 11:36 pm

Cupidity wrote:I'm more interested in the 15-30 range. My guess is that schools with deep pockets like Emory, Boston University and UIUC will move up as students opt to take less debt over rank ITE. GWU will post massive gains after being slammed by PT last year. State schools will fall because of funding cuts. Texas gets hit in peer scores and drops a rank after the article on ATL regarding their lack of a legal writing course. USC to gain on the hits taken to the UC system, don't think UCLA will fall though.
This is anecdotal (and you didn't drop UIUC anyway), but I am of the understanding that Illinois Law is financially independent of the university at large and doesn't depend on state funding. I don't know how many other state schools have that issue.

Get unlimited access to all forums and topics

Register now!

I'm pretty sure I told you it's FREE...

Cupidity

Gold

Post by Cupidity » Sun Apr 04, 2010 11:43 pm

SaintClarence27 wrote:
Cupidity wrote:I'm more interested in the 15-30 range. My guess is that schools with deep pockets like Emory, Boston University and UIUC will move up as students opt to take less debt over rank ITE. GWU will post massive gains after being slammed by PT last year. State schools will fall because of funding cuts. Texas gets hit in peer scores and drops a rank after the article on ATL regarding their lack of a legal writing course. USC to gain on the hits taken to the UC system, don't think UCLA will fall though.
This is anecdotal (and you didn't drop UIUC anyway), but I am of the understanding that Illinois Law is financially independent of the university at large and doesn't depend on state funding. I don't know how many other state schools have that issue.
I actually said UIUC up, yes they are a state school, but as you said they are independent and have the deepest pockets of the T-30.

FunkyJD

Silver

Post by FunkyJD » Mon Apr 05, 2010 12:13 am

Texas isn't going to fall on the basis of griping by some random 1Ls. How many people on this board are happy or hoping to get in?

KG_CalGuy

Bronze

Post by KG_CalGuy » Mon Apr 05, 2010 12:22 am

notme wrote:If any school can get USNWR to consider a change from their current t-14 mind set it will be UCLA.
Not in this economy (since people who might have taken UCLA over t-14 due to affordability are less likely to now that they are going to pay 40,000+ in-state), and not with UCI about to gain its accreditation. UCI seems to be drawing a lot of attention in southern California and UCLA may lose some of its regional dominance because of it

FunkyJD

Silver

Post by FunkyJD » Mon Apr 05, 2010 12:55 am

KG_CalGuy wrote:
notme wrote:If any school can get USNWR to consider a change from their current t-14 mind set it will be UCLA.
Not in this economy (since people who might have taken UCLA over t-14 due to affordability are less likely to now that they are going to pay 40,000+ in-state), and not with UCI about to gain its accreditation. UCI seems to be drawing a lot of attention in southern California and UCLA may lose some of its regional dominance because of it
Total cost of attendance for UCLA Law in-state will approach or exceed UT out-of-state for 2010-11, if the tuition increases go through. And if you're out-of-state trying to pay for a UC, unless you have a trust fund or have a fetish for debt, forget it.

Tuition figures below ... my claim assumes $21k/yr for non-tuition expenses at UCLA Law.
http://www.top-law-schools.com/forums/p ... &p=2791655

Communicate now with those who not only know what a legal education is, but can offer you worthy advice and commentary as you complete the three most educational, yet challenging years of your law related post graduate life.

Register now, it's still FREE!

de5igual

Silver

Post by de5igual » Mon Apr 05, 2010 1:06 am

finalaspects wrote:umm in my opinion UCLA has more chances to break the T-14 than Texas....
umm..how so? UT's stats have improved from the prior year; UCLA's haven't...

The Texas legal market is also stronger than the California one

if anything, UCLA drops

entrechatsix

Bronze

Post by entrechatsix » Mon Apr 05, 2010 1:16 am

15. UCLA
15. Vanderbilt
17. USC
18. Texas
19. BU
19. Emory
19. UMinn
22. WUSTL
22. UIUC
24. Boston College
25. GWU
26. Notre Dame
27. Indiana
27. Iowa
29. Fordham
30. William and Mary
i think the problem with a lot of scenarios you're posting is that you're ignoring the lag of usnwr data. for example, the ut article thing happened less than a month ago and couldn't affect reputation surveys that were conducted last fall.

edit: this really applies to everyone... minor scandals, ite, etc won't have so huge of an effect because this data was collected a long time ago.

PDaddy

Gold

Post by PDaddy » Mon Apr 05, 2010 2:55 am

Wouldn't mind seeing this happen (but it won't):

1) Harvard Law School
2) Stanford Law School
3) University of Chicago Law School
4) NYU School of Law
5) Columbia Law School
6) Yale Law School
7) university of pennsylvania law school
7) UC Berkeley School of Law
7) University of Virginia School of Law
7) University of Michigan Law School
7) Northwestern University School of Law
12) Duke University School of Law
13) Georgetown University Law Center
14) UCLA School of Law
15) Vanderbilt University Law School
16) Cornell Law School
17) university of southern california law school
18) University of Texas School of Law
19) Washington University School of Law
20) Emory University School of Law
21) Notre Dame Law School
22) University of Minnesota Law School
23) University of Illinois College of Law
24) George Washington University Law School
25) Fordham University Law School
26) Boston College Law School
26) Boston University School of Law
28) William and Mary School of Law
29) Carolina Law (UNC)
30) University of Iowa College of Law
31) Ohio State University College of Law
32) Washington and Lee University School of Law
33) UC Davis School of Law
34) Tulane Law School
35) Indiana U. School of Law--Bloomington
35) University of Washington School of Law
37) University of Wisconsin Law School
38) University of Georgia School of Law
39) Wake Forest University School of Law
40) Benjamin N. Cardozo School of Law (Yeshiva)
41) University of Alabama School of Law
42) George Mason School of Law
43) University of Maryland School of Law
44) University of Arizona College of Law
45) UC Hastings College of the Law
46) Case Western Reserve U. School of Law
47) BYU, J. Reuben Clark Law School
48) American Univ., Washington College of Law
49) University of Florida Levin College of Law
50) University of Connecticut School of Law
51) University of Colorado School of Law
52) University of Utah College of Law
53) Temple U.--James E. Beasley School of Law
54) Baylor University Law School
55) Arizona State University College of Law
56) SMU Dedman School of Law
57) University of Cincinnati College of Law
58) University of Houston Law Center
59) Florida State University College of Law
60) University of Miami School of Law
60) Chicago-Kent College of Law, Ill. Inst. of Tech.
60) Brooklyn Law School
63) University of Tennessee College of Law
64) Loyola Law School, Los Angeles
65) University of San Diego School of Law
66) Loyola University Chicago School of Law
67) Villanova University School of Law
68) Seton Hall Law School
69) Rutgers School of Law - Newark
70) Rutgers School of Law - Camden
71) Dickinson School of Law (Penn State)
72) University of Pittsburgh School of Law
73) University of Kansas School of Law
74) University of Kentucky College of Law
75) University at Buffalo Law School

prezidentv8

Gold

Post by prezidentv8 » Mon Apr 05, 2010 2:57 am

<enjoying rankings panic>

Seriously? What are you waiting for?

Now there's a charge.
Just kidding ... it's still FREE!