Should LSAC limit number of schools you can apply to?

Share Your Experiences, Read About Other Experiences. Please keep posts organized by school and expected year of graduation.
Roseland

Should LSAC limit number of schools you can apply to?

Postby Roseland » Fri Mar 26, 2010 5:59 pm

In response to the question about requiring notification about application status to applicants, I think the discussion is more about reforming the process in general.
If applicants were not applying to 30+ schools, then maybe law schools would be "getting back to us" more promptly.
Perhaps there should be limits on the number of law schools you can apply to and a requirement that seat deposits are due the same day across the board.
I doubt law schools want to limit applications...even if they are buried. Afterall, it is revenue.
I applied early in October.
I still have not had a decision from 4 schools.
I am glad I have not been dinged from those schools, but seriously? October? and you still have me in your back pocket?

erniesto

Re: Should LSAC limit number of schools you can apply to?

Postby erniesto » Fri Mar 26, 2010 6:02 pm

Not if LSAC wants to remain relevant.

adameus

Postby adameus » Fri Mar 26, 2010 6:09 pm

they make 12 bones off of every school you apply to. I don't think it's in their best interests.

wizoz

Postby wizoz » Fri Mar 26, 2010 6:13 pm

No. In fact, I encourage ppl to apply to more schools. Many schools use the application fees to fund scholarships. The more application fee paying applicants a school receives, the higher the scholarships those who actually choose to attend such a school may receive.

I know it takes forever to hear back and I agree that some reform could take place. I, unfortunately, do not know how that reform would look. Also, I don't think I'd ever be in the mood to have admissions officers deciding on my application without much contemplation just so I can have a faster turnaround.

Integrity

Postby Integrity » Fri Mar 26, 2010 7:31 pm

No, but I personally got out of hand with my applications due to the fee waiver. I applied to over 30 schools, and an honest assessment reveals I'd only attend 12 of them.

Return to “Law School Acceptances, Denials, and Waitlists”