Need Law School advice from the Pros!

Share Your Experiences, Read About Other Experiences. Please keep posts organized by school and expected year of graduation.
flyingpanda

Re: Need Law School advice from the Pros!

Postby flyingpanda » Sun Mar 28, 2010 5:31 am

SoCalStudent wrote:
aznflyingpanda wrote:I can't wait on UCLA because I did binding early decision to UVa, also UCLA's waitlist is notoriously hard to get accepted from. I did an internship for the legal department of a tech company and some volunteer work at a hospital. I got them through connections, so not sure how much I can help you on where to find an internship sorry. My advice is to cast a wide net and send your resume to a lot of places.

Oh I see. Just to be sure, an ED can be placed on only one app, right? I actually did an internship/volunteer program at a hospital for 1 1/2 years, but that was over three years ago. Would it ok to still note this on the app in Oct.? I'm volunteering right now with kids and reading comprehension. I'll think of something else to do during the summer, seeing is I'm just going to study for the LSAT's.

ED can be placed on one application at a time. If you are rejected or waitlisted, you're free to ED somewhere else. A couple things on my app were pretty old, as long as it's after high school, it's probably fine to put down.

Hattori Hanzo

Postby Hattori Hanzo » Sun Mar 28, 2010 5:38 am

1) You can only pick one binding ED; however not every ED is binding.

2) Not having a shot at UCLA doesn't mean you don't have a shot at T15. As strange as it may be, a sub-3.0/over 170 splitter with good WE has a better chance of getting into NU than UCLA.

3) Any chance you can improve your MA GPA? MA programs are notorious for grade inflation so your current MA GPA won't look good, even as a soft.

4) It'll mainly boil down to how well you perform on the LSAT and at a distance second, how impressive your work experience and other softs are.

Good luck.

SoCalStudent

Postby SoCalStudent » Sun Mar 28, 2010 3:58 pm

Thanks!! My MA GPA will go up after the spring quarter because I'm taking courses that I'm already familiar with. The other issue I have is that since I will be taking the Oct. LSAT's, I won't be able to be able to submit any apps in September. Why aren't the fall LSAT's given in September? I'd rather have this then worry about it in October while I'm taking courses and teaching.

flyingpanda

Postby flyingpanda » Mon Mar 29, 2010 5:15 am

SoCalStudent wrote:Thanks!! My MA GPA will go up after the spring quarter because I'm taking courses that I'm already familiar with. The other issue I have is that since I will be taking the Oct. LSAT's, I won't be able to be able to submit any apps in September. Why aren't the fall LSAT's given in September? I'd rather have this then worry about it in October while I'm taking courses and teaching.

Some years, the LSAT is given in September. It shouldn't make a huge difference because everyone else will be waiting for the Oct. LSAT scores too. My advice (and I regret not doing this) is to have everything ready to go before your LSAT results come in. You should have your LORs and a good draft of your PS ready to go. That way, right when you have your reportable LSAT score, you can start churning out those apps. My LORs turned out taking longer than I anticipated and I didn't have my apps ready until mid-Nov.

MURPH

Postby MURPH » Mon Mar 29, 2010 5:21 am

For the record, I got into UCLA with a sub 3.0 GPA this cycle. (2.98, 175) I am not on law school numbers and, while that is an OK guide, the info there is self selected, frequently falsified and not definitive.

SoCalStudent

Postby SoCalStudent » Wed Mar 31, 2010 1:50 am

MURPH wrote:For the record, I got into UCLA with a sub 3.0 GPA this cycle. (2.98, 175) I am not on law school numbers and, while that is an OK guide, the info there is self selected, frequently falsified and not definitive.

You do have great "softs" along with the fantastic LSAT score. I'm aiming for a 170-175 score so that I have a chance to stay in California and go to Pepperdine, UCLA, or USC, unless a T20 accepts me (e.g. Virginia, Georgetown, NU, etc.). I'm going to try to strengthen my softs this summer as I pound the books and the course for the LSAT's.

Why do you think they changed the test to October azn? You are right in that it used to be offered in September, and it would have helped me in terms of school and teaching. Great advice to have my PS and LOR's completed before the scores come in. So, do I have to wait until my scores are revealed before I submit my PS, LOR's, and transcripts to LSAC?

SoCalStudent

Re: Need law school advice from the Pros!

Postby SoCalStudent » Thu Apr 01, 2010 4:57 am

LOL! Who messed with the title of this thread? MODS??? I tripped out at first, but of course, it's April Fool's Day!! Lol, good one.

Return to “Law School Acceptances, Denials, and Waitlists”