What Can I Do? (UCLA) Forum

Share Your Experiences, Read About Other Experiences. Please keep posts organized by school and expected year of graduation.
twintipping_bumps

Bronze

What Can I Do? (UCLA)

Post by twintipping_bumps » Thu Mar 25, 2010 8:50 pm

Ok, I am below 25th percentile on GPA and below median but above 25th percentile LSAT at UCLA. UCLA was what got me thinking about Law School two years ago. I did check the Hispanic box, as my father's mother is Colombian, and my father is a first generation college grad. I have an M.F.A. and some decent film producing credits - on IMDB with serious actors, awards, distribution, and etc. I have also taught filmmaking at some colleges. I felt the application gave me room to provide some useful details, but I haven't heard from UCLA and have some other offers on the table. What can I do to get UCLA: write a LOCI now, call or email about the status of my application - anything? I really think UCLA is the place for me, but right now, my application there is looking pretty grim. Any advice would be appreciated.

turkishangora

Bronze

Re: What Can I Do? (UCLA)

Post by turkishangora » Thu Mar 25, 2010 9:54 pm

I think letting the school know it's your top choice will definitely help, and wont' hurt.

twintipping_bumps

Bronze

Post by twintipping_bumps » Thu Mar 25, 2010 10:09 pm

Thanks for the input.

I am thinking of writing something like:

Dear UCLA,

Since it was not explicitly stated in my application, I would like to take a moment and express the fact that your school interests me most, by leaps and bounds. In fact, the idea of attending UCLA Law was what got me thinking of applying to Law School two years ago, when I began to make significant headway in my film producing career. While I have received attractive offers from other schools, none compare to the idea of matriculating at UCLA, and as seat deposit deadlines draw near and I contemplate what, if anything, I can do to enhance my application I submitted in early November, I struggle with the thought that my passion for UCLA Law was not clear in my initial application. I believe my drive and determination to succeed in the Film Industry coupled with UCLA's location and course offerings are a synergistic blend that should lead to very positive results, and so I hope you will consider this sincere expression of my genuine and deep interest in UCLA Law School as this year's application cycle enters its final weeks.

soyable

New

Post by soyable » Thu Mar 25, 2010 10:15 pm

Can you plan a visit? Dean Schwartz is really nice and would probably be happy to meet with you. I would definitely send a LOCI and send it directly to him: SCHWARTZR@law.ucla.edu

Also mention what deadlines you have approaching. Good luck!

twintipping_bumps

Bronze

Post by twintipping_bumps » Thu Mar 25, 2010 10:21 pm

Do you really think it is appropriate to send it directly to him? I mean, I guess I should ask myself what I have to lose by doing so.

Want to continue reading?

Register now to search topics and post comments!

Absolutely FREE!

turkishangora

Bronze

Post by turkishangora » Thu Mar 25, 2010 10:45 pm

twintipping_bumps wrote:Do you really think it is appropriate to send it directly to him? I mean, I guess I should ask myself what I have to lose by doing so.
definitely send it directly to him. he's super nice. plus if you sent it elsewhere it'll probably end up in his box anyways. Good Luck!!

twintipping_bumps

Bronze

Post by twintipping_bumps » Fri Mar 26, 2010 7:43 pm

Thanks for the advice guys. I actually sent the email to him and the general admission's office email I had today. Hopefully something good will come of it. I felt awkward contacting a Dean that had not contacted me directly, but I want to at least know I did everything I could do for a place I feel would be a really good fit.

Hattori Hanzo

Silver

Post by Hattori Hanzo » Fri Mar 26, 2010 7:50 pm

Their admissions office is really helpful and the staff are very friendly. I had to contact them via email a few times and I got a prompt reply every time.
UCLA is legally barred from practicing affirmative action so I don't think the URM status will help you much. They do however try to compensate for that by asking for the DS (socioeconomic hardship).
Also, did you write your PS about your film experience? They do have a reputable entertainment law program but w/o explaining how your film industry experience plays out in your law school plans, that won't be of much help.
Good luck :)

twintipping_bumps

Bronze

Post by twintipping_bumps » Fri Mar 26, 2010 8:04 pm

Thanks, I had a pretty privileged upbringing, so the area you mention won't help, but I also understand my heritage and the historical factors at play. I did mention my film producing experiences in the initial application, but I am not sure it was clear I applied to UCLA in order to further my career. In any event, I feel I could make tremendous progress at UCLA, and I am hoping they will give me the opportunity to do so.

SoCalStudent

New

Post by SoCalStudent » Fri Mar 26, 2010 10:31 pm

I'm going to apply to UCLA & USC after I take the LSAT's in October, with UCLA being my top choice. Good luck!

Want to continue reading?

Register for access!

Did I mention it was FREE ?

Return to “Law School Acceptances, Denials, and Waitlists”